• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mush

Things that need to be nerfed aka things I'm salty about:

- Reaper's Shadow Step
- Hanzo's Scatter Arrow
- Junkrat's Martyrdom

finalflame

- Reaper's Shadow Step
- Hanzo's Scatter Arrow
- Junkrat's Martyrdom

I don't think literally any of those need to be nerfed, lol.

However, I am currently particularly salty about post-patch D.Va. Pretty annoying.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think literally any of those need to be nerfed, lol.

However, I am currently particularly salty about post-patch D.Va. Pretty annoying.

dva-spray-30-salt.png

Salarians

On defense: enemy is super aggressive, minutes of the match takes place on the second control point. Close, intense match and we somehow pull it off and win.

On attack: enemy doubles up on characters and tries using various cheese tactics. Still loses with minutes to spare.

tumblr_inline_nrcj20cHpI1tvqmsw_500.gif

eh, her best counter was Torb, and since he's nerfed... now what? >_>

Say what? Pharah is a hard counter to Torbjörn, he rockets easily take down his turrets. She's one of the best characters to take him out.

The best counters to Pharah are snipers who can shoot her out of the air. And that, currently, are McCree and to a lesser extent Ana and Widowmaker.

and I'm sure Blizz can figure out some way to calculate it all. I mean isn't the way they calculate how much rank up you receive from how you played on that map vs. other peeps who played that character, or something?

I don't know the details of how the competitive rating system works, but Jeff Kaplan also said that their rating system is bad anyway, so I wouldn't put too much stake into its values right now.

There should never be a numerical tag on skill for a specific character because it simply is not possible. It all depends on so many factors, and a lot of factors that cannot be displayed by numbers.
Timing, for instance. Or which targets someone picks off. A good Mercy is more than just raw healing numbers, it's also managing team health properly, using revives at the right time. A good Zarya is not about raw damage or absorption, but timing her shield bubbles and her gravity well. A good Lucio knows when to switch to speed boost, and when to use his ultimate. And so on.

Again, except for really big differences, there is no way to numerically represent skill with a character without it being straight up unfair. More so than overall performance, a lot goes into being "good" with a character. I could just go and start learning how to be a blaster-only Mercy and start getting a lot of kills, but would that make me a good Mercy?

i don't believe it would be toxic, it would just be the way it is, so accept it or whine or whatever. I mean sometimes peeps CAMP characters, match after match, and they're not really playing them well, and that's not helping. I feel like character bumping would be OK.

it would be no hard feelings, just the way it is.

So what if you have 2 players who are really close to each other in that hypothetical skill rating with a specific character? What if you have someone who has been on a losing streak because of having low rating teammates for a few games getting knocked down? What if you have someone who played like 5 games on a character and happened to do pretty well with that character vs. somebody who has put over 100 hours into that same character and because of that has worse-looking average stats? Because all these things can happen, and they would constitute a really toxic atmosphere. Kicking other players off of their character pick only invites the kicked players being incredibly salty (thus their performance will drop), and it heavily encourages higher skilled players to be elitist and kick lower skilled players off of any character that the higher skilled player perceives (!) the lower skilled player is doing badly with.

It is a singularly bad idea.

xaosslug

Say what?

sorry, but in my experience the best way to take out a Pharah was Torb, always. Because the turret is constantly scanning for a target. Sure, Pharah can take it out if she knows ahead of time where it's planted, but an unwitting Pharah would always be downed by Torb's turret, every time.

as for the character bumping certainly there would be some nuance. Like I said, IDK. But If I'm playing with a bunch of guys and one guy keeps camping a character I feel I could do better with I think the option to bump could be cool? Or instead of bumping, maybe start each match with the character your stats say you are 'best' with and you can either proceed w/ the pick or choose someone else? Again, IDK. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

and I don't feel like it would be toxic, because the stats would speak for themselves. And if someone is toxic then they're toxic anyways?

I-hate-u

Symmetra should be the number 1 priority for a buff now. They neutered her too much on console. At least give her back +50 shield instead of 25, and increase the number of turrets she can cast.

Soulflarz

Banned

- Reaper's Shadow Step
- Hanzo's Scatter Arrow
- Junkrat's Martyrdom

I understand scatter. I don't understand martyrdom and....whats there to nerf on shadow step? It has no combat capability besides "health kit is a 5s walk, I turned a corner with 20 health, maybe the warp will save me by the skin of my teeth on the .5s saved", which if you're at that point, theres a 90% chance you're dead anyways since you burned your phase already.
else it's a movement tool for openings from above and such.

People still die to Junk's martyrdom?

Maybe a reaper in ult or something, not much else. Theres not a closer class and I easily avoid them.

caesar

Banned
eh, her best counter was Torb, and since he's nerfed... now what? >_>

and I'm sure Blizz can figure out some way to calculate it all. I mean isn't the way they calculate how much rank up you receive from how you played on that map vs. other peeps who played that character, or something?

i don't believe it would be toxic, it would just be the way it is, so accept it or whine or whatever. I mean sometimes peeps CAMP characters, match after match, and they're not really playing them well, and that's not helping. I feel like character bumping would be OK.

it would be no hard feelings, just the way it is.

Um dont you mean torbs best counter is pharah

The last few games have been absolutely infuriating.

We had a Widowmaker that literally stayed inside the spawn entrance trying to snipe people on Hollywood.

Two Torbs that put their turrets right in the middle of the road on Gibraltar. Over and over again.

Numbani payload. I'm the only one with a Rein pushing the payload and the other four are playing hide and seek while the enemy team (all six) are dealing with us. The four are two Anas, a Hanzo, and a Widowmaker. Yes, four snipers. We only got the first objective because the enemy team had been like 3 Anas then switched. They spent even touch the payload. Seriously, they all hung near the spawn trying to... I dunno hook up with each other.

Can't play with randoms.

Kito

sorry, but in my experience the best way to take out a Pharah was Torb, always.

I sometimes use attack Torb against Pharah on payload maps, it works exceptionally well.

One time, I faced a spawn camping Pharah on course for 80% kill participation and in the last minute I switched to Torb and my turrets got rid of that fucker. We made it to the first checkpoint in overtime and won the game with turret on payload.

Any tips for using D.va?
I had been using Tracer for about 99% of my playtime, so I wanted to learn a different character, but D.va's guns are so weak. It takes forever to kill anyone, even up close.

No_Style

I hope I'm never that annoying. I try not to say anything unless there is someone constantly on my ass - like a Genji. Then I will ask if someone can switch to someone who can kill him. Or, Tracer. As a healer, I hate Tracer with passion and take great pleasure when she dies.
I'd never ask anyone to play a character they weren't good with in competitive. It would actively hurt the team.

Nah. You're fine but I will admit the maniacal laughter after victories balances out the Tracer freak outs. lol

I'm a tryhard, but I never speak out to anyone about their play, or character choice, lol.

We played with a guy one night, who I don't believe was a gaffer, but it was a GAF group, and he just bitched the whole time, and told everyone who to pick, was pretty annoying. Everything he said was centered around how great he was, despite only being like 65 and really doing no better than the rest of us, lol.

Yeah that was my first encounter with that kind of person in a GAF group. I'm a "try hard" but I'm more upset with my own performance than other people's because it's not immediately obvious how well/poor people are doing.

Any tips for using D.va?
I had been using Tracer for about 99% of my playtime, so I wanted to learn a different character, but D.va's guns are so weak. It takes forever to kill anyone, even up close.

Her whole thing is to pretty much harass snipers and such. Even if you don't kill them you stop them from picking off your team. Boost and shield are amazing for harassing. Boost will kill people of they are low health too.

Nazo

I just started playing ranked for the first time and I just had a match where me and my six man group were able to hold to the second point of Volskya and took both on offense. That apparently didn't matter because we got sent to sudden death and lost. IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. I like how we objectively won but it didn't matter. Fuck ranked I'm never doing this again since apparently it doesn't actually fucking matter if you win or lose, the game will just arbitrarily decide who wins or loses.

GG Blizzard.

Antiwhippy

Any tips for using D.va?

Her dps is one of the biggest up close, so you really shouldn't be taking forever. I think for that you need to improve your tracking because unlike tracer who shoots in short bursts dva's is more of a sustained fire.

Like right now a really good way is to keep firing, dm and advance when they walk out of your effective range either by just walking or boosting, wait for a reload and then start firing.

I just started playing ranked for the first time and I just had a match where me and my six man group were able to hold to the second point of Volskya and took both on offense. That apparently didn't matter because we got sent to sudden death and lost. IT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. I like how we objectively won but it didn't matter. Fuck ranked I'm never doing this again since apparently it doesn't actually fucking matter if you win or lose, the game will just arbitrarily decide who wins or loses.

GG Blizzard.

I don't understand . You should only go sudden death if you're tied for points. Unless they changed that in the last few days when i wasn't looking.

xaosslug

I sometimes use attack Torb against Pharah on payload maps, it works exceptionally well.

One time, I faced a spawn camping Pharah on course for 80% kill participation and in the last minute I switched to Torb and my turrets got rid of that fucker. We made it to the first checkpoint in overtime and won the game with turret on payload.

indeed, Torb's turret was sooo good at swatting Pharah. T__T

Um dont you mean torbs best counter is pharah

sure, but that's usually AFTER she's been downed by said turret, knows where the turret is, and then rocket snipes it at a distance. ;P

I wish I knew why. it makes zero god damn sense.
Since you never actually said the score in your post, I'm gonna ask just in case. What was the score at the top of the screen?

Edit: doh, you did say the score, then I don't know what to tell you, I've never heard of this happening. Becuase of that, there has to be a legitimate reason why it went into sudden death.

What did it say the score was at the top of the screen?

Veelk

Banned
Anyone else just not....like soldier 76?

I don't mean that he's unbalanced or anything. I just don't like him. I don't like his weapon, abilities, or ult. Not against or for.

He's the most generic character in the game and the only halfway interesting thing about him is all the Dad 76 comics which are just a meme and not really part of the game.

He's the only character I flat out wouldn't mind seeing taken out of the game as I feel he's only in there to be the 'normal' character all the CoD players can use to stay in their comfort zones before jumping off into the weirder characters.

Lulubop

fair enough

I don't mean that he's unbalanced or anything. I just don't like him. I don't like his weapon, abilities, or ult. Not against or for.

He's the most generic character in the game and the only halfway interesting thing about him is all the Dad 76 comics which are just a meme and not really part of the game.

He's the only character I flat out wouldn't mind seeing taken out of the game as I feel he's only in there to be the 'normal' character all the CoD players can use to stay in their comfort zones before jumping off into the weirder characters.

I mean, he's suppose to be generic military fps man

I think Pharah vs. Torb was more of a fair fight. Torbs turret could hit her pretty easily but Pharah could also take out the turret easily. Now that Torb was nerfed, Pharah wins the fight every time.

Antiwhippy

I used to think that way, but he also just shoots pretty well.

Nazo

Since you never actually said the score in your post, I'm gonna ask just in case. What was the score at the top of the screen?

Edit: doh, you did say the score, then I don't know what to tell you, I've never heard of this happening. Because of that, there has to be a legitimate reason why it went into sudden death.

What did it say the score was at the top of the screen?
I know for a fact we took the point too because I was standing on it alone as Zennyatta while ulting.

I really wish I had saved the recording because I've never felt more robbed in a multiplayer game in my life.

Edit: I should've prefaced this with that I play on PS4 and maybe its some weird console only glitch. I just don't know.

3DShovel

Quick play is a fucking disaster now with D.Va's buffs. In payload you literally can't win if the enemy team goes all D.Va.

All they have to do is keep absorbing and shooting every now and then, next thing you know, there are 6 D.Va's with ults doing space denial while they can't die. Severely broken...

Her whole thing is to pretty much harass snipers and such. Even if you don't kill them you stop them from picking off your team. Boost and shield are amazing for harassing. Boost will kill people of they are low health too.

Her dps is one of the biggest up close, so you really shouldn't be taking forever. I think for that you need to improve your tracking because unlike tracer who shoots in short bursts dva's is more of a sustained fire.

Like right now a really good way is to keep firing, dm and advance when they walk out of your effective range either by just walking or boosting, wait for a reload and then start firing.

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep working on it.

Antiwhippy

It was an instantaneous OT/Round over announcement so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

I had that happen too actually. A mei jumped in and cryo'd just in time to trigger ot but then it immediately flashed victory after ot is triggered.

Ramirez

...I swear that just happened now. Oh nvm, you ment instant.

And fuck genji. He's way more annoying than pharah on consoles.

Yea dude, totally agree. I think he can take way too many hits considering how hard it is to hit him. I'm sure it's lag most of the time, but frustrating none the less.

And for how easy a Roadhog/Soldier/Reaper/Tracer can shut a Winston down, it makes it tough if the Genji is good.

Vestal

Quick play is a fucking disaster now with D.Va's buffs. In payload you literally can't win if the enemy team goes all D.Va.

All they have to do is keep absorbing and shooting every now and then, next thing you know, there are 6 D.Va's with ults doing space denial while they can't die. Severely broken...

Yeah they need to bring 1 character limit to QP.

They need to majorly increase the negative effects for quitting in ranked. It's become a real problem on PS4. Someone quits out almost every game

That's the whole point. He's a walking cliché.

Veelk

Banned
That's the whole point. He's a walking cliché.

How is that a good point to make though?

Like, I can understand if someone actually does like Soldier 76 for his relative normalcy that acts as a point of contrast to the rest of the cast

or just likes his effectiveness in battle

But why would anyone defend him on the basis of "Yeah, he's a total generic, unoriginal, cliche. They intentionally made him super lame, gg blizzard"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom