• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started playing yesterday. I've been looking for a guide that tells me what noob!mistakes not to make. I like playing d.va, but I wonder how she's considered as a character? What's considered a balanced team? Stuff like that.

Also the game did put me with levels 30-50 when I was level 4 and it was like my 4th/5th match wtf. :U

Kurita

I kinda wish there were some more basic lines on the chat wheel, like "Behind us", "On our left, on our right", "Help!"...
The automatic lines the characters say sometimes aren't enough.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I started playing yesterday. I've been looking for a guide that tells me what noob!mistakes not to make. I like playing d.va, but I wonder how she's considered as a character? What's considered a balanced team? Stuff like that.

Also the game did put me with levels 30-50 when I was level 4 and it was like my 4th/5th match wtf. :U

Dva is considered one of the best tanks now. Up there with reinhardt and zarya.

As for balanced teams go, it's usually 2 tanks 2 support 2 assault, but 2 support is rare so the next best is to sub out that support for an assault.

peakish

Dva is really strong after the latest patch, although not very easy to use compared to many of the others.

Teamplay tips:
- It's a team game, play as a team. Wait for others after spawning so that you can push as a group. Too many times people start trickling in one-by-one to lost fights, which means you easily get wiped.
- Toggle the kill feed in options and keep an eye on it, that helps to determine if you can reinforce a fight that you can win or if you need to regroup.

Gameplay tips:
- Learn the maps and where you can pick up health packs.
- Switch character if you're getting shut down too hard. Try to learn at least one character from each category, it helps you be more flexible and makes you better at dealing with them on the enemy team.
- Fight from advantageous positions and high ground. People fuck the chicken hard on always being on the objective, but if you can't win the team fight it's often for naught. Just don't forget about it, it's more important than chasing kills if you can defend or capture it.

Team composition:
- Baseline team comp is 2 support, 2 tanks and 2 damage dealers. It's not a rule and some characters don't fit neatly into any single role but keep it in mind.
- Lucio is always a great pick.

RemiLP

Probably wasnt such a good idea to change to L2 jumping mid season. takes longer than i though to get used to it with all characters.

ramyeon

Probably wasnt such a good idea to change to L2 jumping mid season. takes longer than i though to get used to it with all characters.
I've changed it with a couple and it is really difficult to get my head around. Always make mistakes in the heat of the moment.

LiK

L2 for jumping is better for me than L1. kinda sucks the press takes more effort for double jumps for Genji but i cannot get used to L1 for it. makes my brain confused.

Kurita

- Toggle the kill feed in options and keep an eye on it, that helps to determine if you can reinforce a fight that you can win or if you need to regroup.

It boggles my mind that it's not on by default. I played 20 games without it wondering "Why can't I see who just died???".

I only switched L2 and X for Lucio, so I only have to get re-acclimated to the controls when I play him. It usually doesn't take more than a few seconds.

Dva is considered one of the best tanks now. Up there with reinhardt and zarya.

As for balanced teams go, it's usually 2 tanks 2 support 2 assault, but 2 support is rare so the next best is to sub out that support for an assault.

Dva is really strong after the latest patch, although not very easy to use compared to many of the others.

Teamplay tips:
- It's a team game, play as a team. Wait for others after spawning so that you can push as a group. Too many times people start trickling in one-by-one to lost fights, which means you easily get wiped.

Gameplay tips:
- Learn the maps and where you can pick up health packs.
- Switch character if you're getting shut down too hard. Try to learn at least one character from each category, it helps you be more flexible and makes you better at dealing with them on the enemy team.
- Fight from advantageous positions and high ground. People fuck the chicken hard on always being on the objective, but if you can't win the team fight it's often for naught. Just don't forget about it, it's more important than chasing kills if you can defend or capture it.

Team composition:
- Baseline team comp is 2 support, 2 tanks and 2 damage dealers. It's not a rule and some characters don't fit neatly into any single role but keep it in mind.
- Lucio is always a great pick.

Thanks for the tips! It's really helpful. :D

I didn't know there was a kill feed, I definitely need to turn that on. I also had some issues ignoring the objective when getting into the game, but I've been paying more attention to it. I'm coming from a lot of hours in TF2 so I have some idea on how to manage these fights. I just stick with characters I feel good with and branch out when I feel more confident and know the maps better.

Kurita

Apparently I've unlocked some stuff I can put around the characters's portraits but I have no idea where I can toggle these on.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You know that high spot near Point A in Hollywood with a good view on the street below where attackers come from? Defending team had a Bastion shooting just about anybody with a Reinhardt shielding him. But with the new shield of Dva, I could just fly up to them with my shield up and there was nothing they do to stop me from reaching them.

Sure I died a couple of times doing that since Dva can't take on a Bastion & Reinhardt alone, but at least was enough to divert their attention somewhere else until we broke through.

Really like her new shield, it can absorb anything. Roadhog or Solder 76 ult? Just go in front of your team and eat those bullets without worrying of it breaking up!

Zomba13

You know that high spot near Point A in Hollywood with a good view on the street below where attackers come from? Defending team had a Bastion shooting just about anybody with a Reinhardt shielding him. But with the new shield of Dva, I could just fly up to them with my shield up and there was nothing they do to stop me from reaching them.

Sure I died a couple of times doing that since Dva can't take on a Bastion & Reinhardt alone, but at least was enough to divert their attention somewhere else until we broke through.

Really like her new shield, it can absorb anything. Roadhog or Solder 76 ult? Just go in front of your team and eat those bullets without worrying of it breaking up!

Also be sure to eat up things like Mei's and Hanzo's ult (before they "activate").

peakish

Thanks for the tips! It's really helpful. :D

I didn't know there was a kill feed, I definitely need to turn that on. I also had some issues ignoring the objective when getting into the game, but I've been paying more attention to it. I'm coming from a lot of hours in TF2 so I have some idea on how to manage these fights. I just stick with characters I feel good with and branch out when I feel more confident and know the maps better.
I hope it helps! Of all these I'd say the biggest novice mistake is not making your team group up before a fight. Even after dozens of hours people make this mistake. I know I still do it sometimes when I'm respawning and misjudge whether a fight is lost or not.

Sticking with some familiar characters and slowly trying others seems like a good approach. It's good to be able to fall back on a character you're good with when you're using a new one. Helps to make you feel not absolutely useless if things are going poorly :)

Veelk

Banned
Summer, but that's a pretty big window.

Which is fine, I guess. Lets me stack my lootboxes. Just won't open them until the new stuff hits.

I mainly hope for a better Genji costume. I don't like any of the base alts, nor the legendaries. I like the rare coloring, but they don't change his slash effect or dragon color with them, and the dissonance bugs me.

peakish

Which is fine, I guess. Lets me stack my lootboxes. Just won't open them until the new stuff hits.

I mainly hope for a better Genji costume. I don't like any of the base alts, nor the legendaries. I like the rare coloring, but they don't change his slash effect or dragon color with them, and the dissonance bugs me.
Sad to say but the content of your loot boxes is determined when you get them, so they won't have any stuff added afterwards.

ISOM

52 elims, 60% kill participation I get one vote because I voted for myself. While Rein gets 2 votes for 9000 blocked damage. :l

Jarate

Banned
52 elims, 60% kill participation I get one vote because I voted for myself. While Rein gets 2 votes for 9000 blocked damage. :l

Ive come to terms with the fact that you arent going to get votes if there's a healer or a tank up there.

I think the voting system is kind of stupid anyway. Doesnt reward people for hero switching and sticking with their specific class type.

Im gonna try to work on my rankings to day and get up to the higher 60's. Ive got so many friends that ive gotten who have put way more time into the game then me with 70+ rankings. Most of my friends outright refuse to play ranked though, and they still get really upset when they lose quickplay. They're kind of shitters so Im happy they dont want to play Ranked with me. Ive already carried my friend too a much higher rank then he should be in.

Also, people really need to diversify their skillsets unless you have a hero that's reliable 100% of the time. I really only put this into a few heroes, my team will akways need a Lucio, a Mercy, and a reaper, I can't really think of any other class that deserves a main, maybe Reinhardt.

I roll with Torbjorn, Zarya, Zenyatta, McCree, Tracer, Hanzo, D. Va, Reaper, and now Ana to the bunch. I think it really helps my game. Switching from a McCree to a Zarya can fuck over other teams the next round who are expecting everyone to stay the same. Also, my Zarya is turning into the new class that I play and I just basically dominate at. Yesterday during that hanamura, I went Silver in elims and damage as Zarya, which nor practically happens every time I play with her. Im also starting to be able to use my grenade launcher, which is honestly, the weakest part of my Zarya game

Jarate

Banned
Also, depending on those elim totals IE how long the game lasts, and how many solo kills you got, and how much damage you shat out, 52 elims isnt that high tbh. 60% just meant you couldve easily gotten a few shots into a crowd. I see D. Va get billions of elims now, mostly because hse just has an easily spammable attack that hits a very wide area.

Jarate

Banned
How good do I have to be to play with Lik and others?

Wouldn't mind teaming up more often.

GIT SUPER GUD

Ive been trying to play with gaffers, but all my irl friends have had a resurgence of late playing this game. Ive had really bad experiences mixing gaffers with my irl friends, and don't really feel like replicating those experiences

Did you ever add me on pns? Im MC_Giygas on psn. Just dont be upset if I call you shit or call out your gameplay! (I hardly ever do this, but sometimes i gotta keep it real you know)

Jarate

Banned
O_O

I think I'll pass. Lol

Nah, I dont really do this, I was just teasing. I mean, it should be expected that we call out each other for the things we do badly.

and by that I mean im gonna call you a nerd for playing like shit!

I have a group of friends that im pretty sure would get placed in the low 30s if they played comp, and I dont really get upset at them. I only really get upset if im really trying super hard to win, which in most cases I dont really care all that much.

Nah, I dont really do this, I was just teasing. I mean, it should be expected that we call out each other for the things we do badly.

and by that I mean im gonna call you a nerd for playing like shit!

I have a group of friends that im pretty sure would get placed in the low 30s if they played comp, and I dont really get upset at them. I only really get upset if im really trying super hard to win, which in most cases I dont really care all that much.
I'm kidding, I'll add you when I get home.
You'll never be good enough. Never.

I'm pretty sure I've invited you before actually, but you didn't accept. I feel like we may have played together at some point, but I'm not sure.
I don't think so... I don't think we're PSN friends (yet) are you Mariohead there too?

Edit: Badboy! We have played once or twice. Yea invite me whenever unless I'm in the middle of a comp game I usually accept

I don't think so... I don't think we're PSN friends (yet) are you Mariohead there too?

Edit: Badboy! We have played once or twice. Yea invite me whenever unless I'm in the middle of a comp game I usually accept

I'm MarioHead3 everywhere except PSN because I was a dumb child and didn't even own a PS3 of my own when I made that account, and therefore never planned to actually use it for anything.

I'm MarioHead3 everywhere except PSN because I was a dumb child and didn't even own a PS3 of my own when I made that account, and therefore never planned to actually use it for anything.
I bought my PS3 near the end of the cycle and had always been (and assumed always would be) an Xbox player. So I didn't put much thought into it, had just watched the Nolan trilogy and was in a Batman mood.

In my experience people actually love calling me Batman in game, but I hate the name, especially how I had to spell it. I'm not sure I'd change it if we were finally able too though. So many PSN people just know me as 'Batman'

could be worst.

and i love me some hanzo on attack during dorado. i switch between widow and him during defense but it depends on how the situation goes and i go to junkrat for the spam.

I bought my PS3 near the end of the cycle and had always been (and assumed always would be) an Xbox player. So I didn't put much thought into it, had just watched the Nolan trilogy and was in a Batman mood.

In my experience people actually love calling me Batman in game, but I hate the name, especially how I had to spell it. I'm not sure I'd change it if we were finally able too though. So many PSN people just know me as 'Batman'
Well shit, I just realized you were on my FL.

I thought I had a lot of Roadhog hours, but god damn dude.

I played with someone last night that was almost at 400. Like 3 stars + 90.

I checked out the profile. This person had about 5ish hours with every character except Winston, who had 191 hours!

Winston!

abundant

I played with someone last night that was almost at 400. Like 3 stars + 90.

I checked out the profile. This person had about 5ish hours with every character except Winston, who had 191 hours!

Winston!

I feel sorry for him then, because the buff to Zen has made it harder to be an effective Winston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom