• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISOM

I guess that's kind of why I want him nerfed. He just doesn't make the game interesting, but his practicality gives people a reason to select and play him. Most of the time, I'd rather just have an interesting game and possible loss rather than a boring win.

Maybe it's boring for you but I find him enjoyable to play. He's not sexy but it's not like it's a chore to play him.

And I understand wanting to play different heroes, I do that as well but I also want to win ranked games because it's not fun losing but it doesn't seem as important to you so play what you want.

duckroll

I guess that's kind of why I want him nerfed. He just doesn't make the game interesting, but his practicality gives people a reason to select and play him. Most of the time, I'd rather just have an interesting game and possible loss rather than a boring win.

Again, I acknowledge that this is just me though, and if the general fanbase likes him and his place in the game, I can't complain too much since he's hardly OP.

I don't understand how a teammate playing a character you dislike makes it a boring win. How interesting a game is depends on the other team, not what charcters you pick. Characters are just tools. The dynamic is 100% in how the other team plays.

Pooya

Winston needs a buff, it hardly counters a good genji and it never countered tracers anyways. I find little reason to play him anymore with d.va now. He's weakest tank by far right now, Zen just melts him, d.va can bully mccree and reaper quite well, Winston gotta run. If you want to get rid of snipers d.va is just way way better now.

Veelk

Banned
I don't understand how a teammate playing a character you dislike makes it a boring win. How interesting a game is depends on the other team, not what charcters you pick. Characters are just tools. The dynamic is 100% in how the other team plays.

I usually mean enemy players playing Soldier. I like seeing a particular character and trying to figure out how my character can match them in any situation. With soldier, that puzzle is much less interesting because of his bland mechanics.

I don't really care what teammates do as long as they're playing competently.

Winston needs a buff, it hardly counters a good genji and it never countered tracers anyways. I find little reason to play him anymore with d.va now. He's weakest tank by far right now, Zen just melts him, d.va can bully mccree and reaper quite well, Winston gotta run. If you want to get rid of snipers d.va is just way way better now.
I'm pretty sure I heard this mentioned here before, but one thing they could do is make his weapon do extra damage against shields. This would add an extra counter to some of the more powerful heroes, like Zarya and Zen, although this might not work because it would severely hurt Symm, who's already fairly weak to him, and who's already lacking in the current meta.

Maybe allow him to put up more bubble shields aka shorter cool down?

duckroll

I usually mean enemy players playing Soldier. I like seeing a particular character and trying to figure out how my character can match them in any situation. With soldier, that puzzle is much less interesting because of his bland mechanics.

I don't really care what teammates do as long as they're playing competently.

Don't worry when they play Soldier well, you won't see him much. By the time you do, it should be too late. :p

Convert 1/3 of WInston's health to shields. That will allow him to exploit his jump as a hit a run tactic better.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Been having a ridiculously frustrating day today. Can't seem to buy a win, while most of the time I think I'm doing ok?

At this level though being a tank main is frustrating because it's kind of a crapshoot if your DPS can actually, well, do damage. Not even bad picks really, just general skill.

Veelk

Banned
I would really like to see Widowmaker buffed on consoles. I've been struggling with how to do that without just upping her damage, which could break her like she was in pre-patch. Right now, she's just an insanely difficult character to use that to the point that it almost isn't worth it to get good with her.

So I have 2 suggestions.

Give her grapple a shorter cooldown. Maybe as short as 1 second. Widowmaker needs to be more mobile because right now, as soon as someone knows her location, she's almost certainly dead. I think this is fair because Widowmaker is not only prettty squishy, but also has more limited area awareness, since she's going to be looking through her scope most of the time, so in most cases, people will get the drop on her. This mobility would not only give her a decent chance of escape, it would also let do her job more easily. She's supposed to be someone who moves positions to get better vantage points, so it'd be good if she could Spider-man her way around.

Her ult is really helpful for the team as a whole, but not so much for her. Knoweledge of where a player is coming from is great, but again, the difficulty in her aiming means this only helps so much. I propose that her ult also give her markers over the heads of enemies. You know how when Soldier activates his Ult, enemies get those marks over them on his HUD? How about when Widowmaker activates her ult, she gets similar markers, and if she hits those markers, then that counts as a headshot. It's the best way to actually boost her ability as a sniper I can think of.

Sarek

This game was the death of my almost 10 year old keyboard. Queued for a competetive match and went to get a cup of coffee from the kitchen. Came back and the match had already started, and while trying to quickly move my character to avoid being kicked out for being AFK, I ended up knocking a full cup of coffee all over my keyboard. Oops.

On the positive side I got my first mechanical gaming keyboard ordered now. Those marginally faster response times will surely make me a much better Overwatch player.

I think the easiest way to buff Widow on console is to give her body shot damage back and put it back to 150. The only reason it was a problem was because she made Zen worthless, but now that Zen can survive 150 damage, the only people she can one shot are Tracer and mechless Dva, which aren't that big of a deal.

She will still be good against Zen, adding another usable counter for him. While she already counters him well, she barely gets used in the first place, so it doesn't really matter.

Pooya

Maybe allow him to put up more bubble shields aka shorter cool down?

The shield was stronger in beta, IIRC, they nerfed it because it was exploited with multiple Winstons...which is not an issue anymore, so maybe revert it back? It used to be like that the cool down starts as soon as you drop the shield, not when it goes away and the shield had way more hp.

The shield was stronger in beta, IIRC, they nerfed it because it was exploited with multiple Winstons...which is not an issue anymore, so maybe revert it back? It used to be like that the cool down starts as soon as you drop the shield, not when it goes away and the shield had way more hp.
Yeah, I think making the shield cool down shorter would go a long way for Winston. They could do either two things with his shield. Either make the cool down shorter, or give it more health, but also a longer cool down. Or they could make his jump more powerful. Or they could do what was mentioned above and give him shields so that he has more survivability and can easily go in, harass the enemy, jump back out and restore shields, rinse and repeat.

Jokab

Feeling that Reinhart is more important than I have previously thought, especially on payload maps he's just essential. I'm picking him every time if no one else does from now on.

Veelk

Banned
Game: "hmmm..... Let's see, we have 4 players without a rank. Why don't I put 3 of them on Veelk's team. Especially the one that plays widowmaker all match. I bet he'll find that hilarious."

Antiwhippy

I'm having a real curious session where I keep netting quad kills but my teams seem unable to capitalise on it.

These PotG are nice and all but hmmm, can I please have a team that can make it count? I can;'t team kill by myself.

Pooya

I'm having a real curious session where I keep netting quad kills but my teams seem unable to capitalise on it.

These PotG are nice and all but hmmm, can I please have a team that can make it count? I can;'t team kill by myself.

This just happens so often, it's like people don't realize what's happening in the back and stay cautiously at the entrance waiting for an invitation. Like guys, I just took out 3 out of the possible 6 defenders, it's time to rush in, it's like people are too scared of dying and they still manage to die for nothing anyways. Sometimes I wonder if everyone has turned on the kill feed.

Sarek

This just happens so often, it's like people don't realize what's happening in the back and stay cautiously at the entrance waiting for an invitation. Like guys, I just took out 3 out of the possible 6 defenders, it's time to rush in, it's like people are too scared of dying and they still manage to die for nothing anyways. Sometimes I wonder if everyone has turned on the kill feed.

Everyone definitely doesn't have it turned on. I only turned it on couple weeks ago myself. Only found out that it even existed when I watched a friend play.

Veelk

Banned
Anyone else just feel that the game puts you in a ping pong state of matches.

I get up to rank 50-51, I get inevitably get a losing streak going down to 48-49. At which point matches just play out terribly, but I usually win so I get up to the 50's, then it's back to being a losing streak.

So I'd like to say again FUCK RANKED. I do NOT want to be told how well/badly I'm doing every game. It doesn't make me feel better when I did well, and it frustrates me when I do poorly.

Rad-

Winston is still good in koth matches but I guess I wouldn't mind if they buffed him a bit to make him more useful in other modes.

Anne

Winston still gets picked a lot in high level play with 1HL and he's honestly the best at doing his main job, which is starting a fight.

RemiLP

I get up to rank 50-51, I get inevitably get a losing streak going down to 48-49. At which point matches just play out terribly, but I usually win so I get up to the 50's, then it's back to being a losing streak.

So I'd like to say again FUCK RANKED. I do NOT want to be told how well/badly I'm doing every game. It doesn't make me feel better when I did well, and it frustrates me when I do poorly.

Yeah, im on my way down now after hitting 51. Currently at 49, so ill start winning again soon enough.

But i guess that just means the game found our rank. When i reach 50 and 51, im not really good enough anymore. So i need to improve if i want to level above the low 50s. I dont really mind it, seems like the rank is working as it should.

There's a simple solution. Ignore it. I just play Ranked for the longer matches and different rule sets and it's very enjoyable. I don't need a number to tell me how good I am, I can figure that out for myself. Yeah, the number helps a bit, but you get the point. So just ignore the number and progession bar and you'll be fine.

If you don't want the ranking then you should just stick to quickplay. I think currently the game obscures way too much info though, it's hard to get feedback on your performance.

Veelk

Banned
There's a simple solution. Ignore it. I just play Ranked for the longer matches and different rule sets and it's very enjoyable. I don't need a number to tell me how good I am, I can figure that out for myself. Yeah, the number helps a bit, but you get the point. So just ignore the number and progession bar and you'll be fine.

Easy to say, hard to do. I'm just psychologically not equipped to simply choose not to care. I do care. I don't want to care, but I do. I can't help it, and it's making the game way more frustrating than it would be just from the gameplay alone.

If you don't want the ranking then you should just stick to quickplay. I think currently the game obscures way too much info though, it's hard to get feedback on your performance.

because if there is anything the regulars in this thread know I love, it's stacked heroes. QP has it's own stacked tracking anyway. When I was around 300 games, I had 30 more wins than losses. I've gotten into a losing streak, and now I only have 8 more wins than losses and it frustrates me.

Trust me, if they introduced a mode without stacking, I'd play that. If it lacked tracking, like the Weekly Brawls, it'd be perfect. But right now, there's nothing like it.

On the plus side, I encountered my first good Console Widowmaker in idk how long. It was impressive how she cleaned house.

On PS4 lately it just seems like all the matches are so one sided. Used to be I'd get some pretty even teams which made for some great games, and only occasionally would it be lopsided. Now almost every game I play one team just steamrolls the other.

patchday

sounds like ranking in any game honestly. Been doing QP in Overwatch but in Hearthstone (ranked) I bounced back and forth all month til I finally ranked up.

Antiwhippy

Ugh, did not have a good day today.

Thing is I feel like I'm doing my job fairly well, consistently high block rates, getting rid of a lot of ults, getting elims, damage, what not, but I can't, or my team can't, fucking close out anything. Keep getting these bloody potg which depresses me when I see the replay and nobody capitaltises on it.

Sarek

Ugh, did not have a good day today.

Thing is I feel like I'm doing my job fairly well, consistently high block rates, getting rid of a lot of ults, getting elims, damage, what not, but I can't, or my team can't, fucking close out anything. Keep getting these bloody potg which depresses me when I see the replay and nobody capitaltises on it.

Same for me lost 6 ranking points today, down to 45 now. Played about 15 matches today, won 3 of them.

Veelk

Banned
sounds like ranking in any game honestly. Been doing QP in Overwatch but in Hearthstone (ranked) I bounced back and forth all month til I finally ranked up.

And, by sheer coincidence, I do not like most ranked modes in most games.

But Overwatch only removes stacked on Ranked. So.

51>50>49>50>49>50>49>50>49>50>49

Sisyphus-Image-01C.jpg

zonezeus

Meh, with ranked it seems its just two options - either stomp or get stomped. Only one in 10 games is actually good.

My thoughts exactly, maybe 1 or 2 games out of 10 are actually balanced and fun, the rest is steamroll from one side or the other. That's why I'm skipping this ranked season. Not that quick play is any different, but at least it has much less toxicity.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is my first mp game in a long time, aside from Dark Souls which doesn't count. Have already been kicked out of 3-4 matches due to inactivity. Gotta stop looking at my phone after dying. 😂

Anne

The stomps are mostly happening right now cause lol snowball game design with an extremely offensive top tier right now. It also helps that the better characters in the game are pretty popular in general too.

Veelk

Banned
I'm not an awful Genji player, but I think I might have used his dragon sword to good effect maybe like 5 times in all the times I've gotten it. It's either I take out one or two guys I probably could have taken care of anyway, or the entire team zeroes in on me and I die before I can do anything. I can't seem to ever make it work.

Anne

I'm not an awful Genji player, but I think I might have used his dragon sword to good effect maybe like 5 times in all the times I've gotten it. It's either I take out one or two guys I probably could have taken care of anyway, or the entire team zeroes in on me and I die before I can do anything. I can't seem to ever make it work.

If the enemy team zeroes in on you then your engage sucked, your team didn't follow up if you were the one to engage, or you're just outnumbered. Sword is good if it kills 2 people btw. If it's used in a real good situation you can expect more, but 2-3 should be average.

Any Zen tips?

- Have a 2nd healer on the team because you are primarily a DPS hero
- When somebody engages its probably safe to throw an early harmony on them
- When a fight starts you have a couple choices on who to discord. Almost always it's going to be the frontline, but if somebody was jumped on out of position you can orb them.
- Hit Transcendence a bit earlier than you think you want to hit it.
- Your mobility is still pathetic so stick to somebody who can make it scary to jump on you.

I only have 115 comps win this season so far. I doubt I'll have enough by the end of the season to get a gold weapon, even with the bonus or whatever at the end of the season. I could play more, but games take so much longer, so I don't play as much. Plus after some games I just feel so drained and I just don't want to play anymore.

Soulflarz

Banned
Well both of you made the same mistake funnily enough that you think I would berate a person I don't know. perhaps before assuming both of you need to ask for clarification.

This is a site, why would I assume you know some random person right away? If I called someone out and was saying things that normally would be questionable, I wouldn't immediately go "wow thread, you didn't assume I knew him?", because thats just unreasonable.

Wow!

Just had a match on Numbani. Attacking first. We absolutely crushed it. The whole team working together. Then we defend well too, the opposition can't get near the first point. 30 seconds left. Finally, I think, I'm going to get a win! After all these fucking losses I'm going to actually win a game!

Game starts lagging like fuck. I get kicked! Frantically trying to rejoin. Not happening.

I notice my rank has gone from 42 to 40.

This pretty much sums up my entire experience with competitive mode. Absolute fucking joke.

Hey Soulflarz, if you get the game on PC, we should play, and you should teach me how to Reaper, please. <3
Also generally be good. I think besides aiming which I will naturally get better at as I play more, if I have someone to play with and who can help me analyze my mistakes, I might be able to summon back my arena shooter capabilities. I was a god in CtF...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom