• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

They're seriously not allowing us to buy any of it with the currency we have saved up right now? Come on Blizzard..

Not only are they not allowing people to buy them with saved up currency, but earning them with normal lootboxes has pretty low odds given how many items there already are. So this is definitely a scheme designed to force people who want them to box microtransactions. Lol.

Syntax

I really want those skins... but screw that, ill probably get sprays and icons if i bite.
I just hope that they come on regular loot boxes too but the olympic ones are just an easy way to get them.

The description makes it sounds like there're also intros and emotes to be had.

Azoor

Not only are they not allowing people to buy them with saved up currency, but earning them with normal lootboxes has pretty low odds given how many items there already are. So this is definitely a scheme designed to force people who want them to box microtransactions. Lol.

And the number of items will increase over time. So you'd have even less of a chance to get what you want.

Syntax

Okay.

Reading the description again, it says the loot boxes are only obtainable through the 22nd. What happens after that? Do the Summer Games items become part of the regular loot box pool and/or purchasable for in-game currency? (I highly doubt this) Or are they gone until next summer?

ekim

Okay.

Reading the description again, it says the loot boxes are only obtainable through the 22nd. What happens after that? Do the Summer Games items become part of the regular loot box pool and/or purchasable for in-game currency? (I highly doubt this) Or are they gone until next summer?

They will be gone forever... :p

Okay.

They'll probably be part of the regular loot box pool. If they're nice they'll make them purchaseable with the ingame currency.

ekim

Crosspost:
What if you can earn them in the new game mode?
The medal system would make perfect sense. You get the Tracer skin if you get Gold in eliminations after one match etc...

Syntax

Crosspost:
What if you can earn them in the new game mode?
The medal system would make perfect sense. You get the Tracer skin if you get Gold in eliminations after one match etc...

Not so sure of that. Limited time performance based theme cosmetic rewards?

Mush

Posted in the main thread on Gaming, but I'll make one here too.

I haven't been able to access the boxes yet, even after having purchased another set just to be sure. They've gone through on my card, but they're not in my download list.

Z0uTTWS.png

Might be a time zone thing since the store link says they meant to be released on the 2nd and obviously it's not the 2nd everywhere yet. :p

EDIT: DUCKROLL'D

Auctopus

Just noticed "Voice Lines" is a part of the customisation items. Wonder what Olympic themed voice lines there are?

"The water, it burrrrnnnnss!"

duckroll

Just noticed "Voice Lines" is a part of the customisation items. Wonder what Olympic themed voice lines there are?

"The water, it burrrrnnnnss!"

Weren't there lines datamined from the last patch which had some characters talking about representing their country? Lol.

Ayumi

?

I only see one. Her doing gymnastics.

Apparently I'm more tired than I thought because at first glance I thought Symmetra (Rhytmic Gymnastics/Ribbon) was Widowmaker (Gymnastics/Balance Beam). lol

But on topic, they look so good doing it. :3

duckroll

Look on the bright side guys. If the Summer Games is a new mode, when we have leavers in it, we can pretend it's simulating the actual Olympics in Rio this year!

Veelk

Banned
I know I bitch about the game often, but I legitimately do enjoy it and understand a lot of its decisions even if I don't like them (like hero stacking).

The way they're rolling out these new cosmetics is just kinda scummy though, if there's nothing else to them. Not being able to buy the skins with money you saved up is specifically designed just so you will buy the micro transactions that have the miniscule chance of you getting whatever skin you really want. This is not a good business practice. I was looking forward to the new skins, no I don't want to get any unless it's through the gameplay.

I'm hoping they have more to it than this.

ramyeon

Don't pull the trigger too soon. Maybe check out what's available first and then! squeeze it. :p
I'll be honest, I'm a sucker for cosmetics and limited stuff so I'll probably try to get it all regardless. I already have basically everything unlocked already from the base stuff too.

Syntax

Man I thought Blizzard was above shitty limited edition skins.

Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone both feature something similar.

HotS has limited skins that are only available during Christmas.

Hearthstone has a different cosmetic cardback every month.

Both those games are nominally F2P, though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Limited time rewards? That's bullshit considering we have less than a month trying to acquire them through random boxes.

When they said there would be new skins by the end of summer I wasn't expecting this. At the very least something we can spend our currency on. Not being able to buy any of the new stuff is bs

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Not sure on PC, but Blizzard should really put a "report player" on consoles. By this, I mean, players who are griefing, etc. Best case you can do is report the player via their PSN profile, which does squat.

Also, maybe release patch notes for consoles that can be seen once the game applies the patch? Up to now, I've talked to people who still do not know that Torb and Symmetra's turrets do 30 percent less damage.

Just...ugh. Game is super fun, but some design decisions (don't get me started on Competitive), just seem inane and for lack of a better word, stupid.

Bisnic

So only way to get these new skins is to pay for them with real money and pray for good luck. Am i right?

Well, you can still get them by lvling up. I'm assuming that from today(?) until August 22nd, those summer loot boxes are the only things you're gonna get and the normal boxes will come back later.

jeemer

I don't mind if these are real money only (since they're terrible) but I'd really like to know if we're going to be able to buy new skins at some point this year with credits, or if credits are for vanilla items only for the forseeable future. I've been saving credits hoping for some new skins, but if all new skins in the near future are gonna be drops from paid lootboxes I might as well just use my credits now.

I don't mind if these are real money only (since they're terrible) but I'd really like to know if we're going to be able to buy new skins at some point this year with credits, or if credits are for vanilla items only for the forseeable future. I've been saving credits hoping for some new skins, but if all new skins in the near future are gonna be drops from paid lootboxes I might as well just use my credits now.

My guess from the other thread:

I would also expect Halloween and Christmas stuff to be limited. When they add just 'normal(?)' new skins to the game I'm sure they will be permanent, and able to be bought with saved up coins. And then 4 or 5 times a year we'll do stuff like this.

BUT. If I miss out on my Santa Claus Roadhog with a candy cane hook then I'll be furious.

Bisnic

Why do people think these boxes are not going to be available through lvling and only with real money? Even the description shown above mentioned "earn in-game".

Hawkie

Why do people think these boxes are not going to be available through lvling and only with real money? Even the description shown above mentioned "earn in-game".

I think the thought process is that the themed loot boxes (bought) guarantee you something but normal loot boxes only provide you with a "chance".

Any news on an update time?

ramyeon

4 gold medals and another loss. This is killing me guys. I am actually desperate for someone to play with now. PS4. Australia or Southern Hemisphere (Time zones). Please :(

Mush

4 gold medals and another loss. This is killing me guys. I am actually desperate for someone to play with now. PS4. Australia or Southern Hemisphere (Time zones). Please :(
I'm going to bed now, but feel free to add me (PSN is in my profile).

ramyeon

I'm going to bed now, but feel free to add me (PSN is in my profile).
Definitely adding! Each game is just getting worse and worse now. Been back and forth between rank 47 and 46 for days now. I'll have a decent team and then get a team that just has no idea what they're doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom