• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Well, then. I'm pretty happy with this outcome. I wanted both the martial artist spray for Zenyatta and the weight lifter skin for Zarya, so consider myself to be a happy clam. :)

Congrats! that's the only skin I really want and I will probably cry if I don't get it.

I did get tracer's like 3 times :(

Anne

why did they even put defense heroes in this game

like who are ya'll fooling

They originally didn't have them listed as defense, it was just DPS/Tank/Healer. Apparently they thought it was too cramped and didn't feel right having like Tracer/Bastion in the same category.

DrArchon

They need to really expand the scope of defensive heroes beyond "they guys kill decently well but can't really move fast", because guys like McCree and 76 are just as good at defense when that's all you're aiming for.

Anne

Just take the situation where you combine all of these factors: a speed-boosted Winston jumps on your McCree, drops a Bubble so you cannot snipe their Zenyatta (who proceeds to toss a Discord Orb on you) and then Zarya tosses a Personal Shield on Winston for good measure and he laughs at your Stun Grenade as he melts you.

I missed this from the meta report, but that's exactly why Winston is still good for people who were saying he should be buffed.

matmanx1

I think that's something to talk about after things change with Zen/Lucio. All static defense heroes are getting destroyed by the current meta.

Still saying even if Zen is nerfed Lucio will be king as long as speedboost is allowed to do what it does right now.

Can someone explain to me what's happening in the Pro scene with Lucio's speedboost that is causing such problems?

Owzers

Everyone knows Hanzo is better on attack anyways.

I've gotten worse with Roadhog lately and i don't know why, not getting many kills, leaving people almost half dead and no one finishes them off.

Soulflarz

Banned
tried match on PC for the first time since the beta (well, on my account...)
10-0, carried a team on anubis through both points, quad gold

so uh
When you all say "PC is way harder", I'm presuming you're talking 70+, cause I haven't noticed a difference from my time at friends houses or such. Not that it's a good or bad thing, I presume I'll notice it later for sure.

Granted, I acknowledge reaper benefits from the aim boost a lot less than most characters. I won't even pretend McCree is half as viable on console at range.

Anne

Can someone explain to me what's happening in the Pro scene with Lucio's speedboost that is causing such problems?

The two teams are facing each other trying to deal damage around shields and tanks and what not. Rein's shield gets low on one side, the other side has Lucio and he hits E. Now Lucio's team gets to run in through the weakened tank straight into however they want to play the fight out. The only way to get them not collapse on you with an advantage is to have your own Lucio that can also hit E.

presumably the rest of the team is just watching this happen with their thumbs up their asses

You go ahead and try to stop it. It's pretty hard to do, you try to set up a way that makes it hard for Winston to jump on you like this or have some type of CD to make it way less scary. Remember the Winston's team also has DPS pouring in behind the Lucio speedboost too that you have to worry about.

brian!

so uh
When you all say "PC is way harder", I'm presuming you're talking 70+, cause I haven't noticed a difference from my time at friends houses or such. Not that it's a good or bad thing, I presume I'll notice it later for sure.

Granted, I acknowledge reaper benefits from the aim boost a lot less than most characters. I won't even pretend McCree is half as viable on console at range.

Dunno who was telling you it was harder, it really seems more of an apples/oranges situation (as in it's easier for a mcree to shoot down a pharah on pc vs. console).

I expect reaper translates pretty fluidly since there's no aim involved and stuff like spacing and timing is more important, maybe his ult can get stunned out more quickly tho, but i dont play console and dont know what reaction stuns are like on there (i assume slower?).

For pc the skill doesnt really see a significant change until ~68+ but that's also me kinda just spitballing a number out through anecdotal experience.

But yeh itd be weird to call pc hard and console easy since they are pretty much different beasts.

LiK

so uh

Maybe it's cuz you're playing with scrubs at low levels. I don't suppose people playing at lower levels are much of a challenge for you.

He is designed to be an anti flanker, which means he can easily deal with Genji and Tracer if you're good with him.

A well timed stun and fan the hammer will deal with them.
Hard hitting hit scan hero that can bait a reflect and/or catch Genji with a flashbang and kill with FTH within certain distance.

Obviously really good genjis will give McCrees a hard time but a good McCree can counter a Genji pretty well.

Are you guys saying I should have been a Mcree instead of a Winston or what? Like I said there was two Genji's on the enemy team that kept getting their Ults. I switched to Winston to try to deal with them but they just kept double jumping and dashing away from me.

People also seem to forgot that even Mcree has trouble with Genji.

meshwork

so uh

So uhh... You decided to join a game with an account that has an MMR way lower than you should have since you've built up knowledge and skills on another platform/account and then you proceed to stomp your opponents. And now you're using this as a measuring stick for the difficulty/skill of PC opponents?

I'm not sure what you were expecting to happen in that scenario. For it to magically know to place you in the correct higher skill bracket? If I picked up a fresh account I reckon I could cruise through the first matches with my eyes closed coming from comp ranked in the 70s. I don't think that would be indicative of anything other than "this platform also has some bad players" :)

brian!

Up close genji kind of has to make a mistake for mcree to win out, since it's easier to e react to the stun than it is to pop off a random stun onto him, but mid-range mcree should hold the advantage. If genji fuks up close up mcree can just combo him.

Azoor

Are you guys saying I should have been a Mcree instead of a Winston or what? Like I said there was two Genji's on the enemy team that kept getting their Ults. I switched to Winston to try to deal with them but they just kept double jumping and dashing away from me.

Read my original post, I said a Winston AND a McCree.

Animator

Late night overwatch is weird. It without exception puts me on the worst team in the world after 11pm pst. Fell to 47 from 59 in one night and I was laughing at it the whole way, literally every team was worse than the one before.

On the plus side I should have tanked my rank sooner intentionally. In the rank 47-55 range I can literally solo win the games with zarya and grind points much faster. Don't give a shit about rank thats gonna be deleted in two weeks anyway.

He will still have some trouble but Winston and a McCree will greatly increase your chances. But if there is not any team synergy and it's just you trying to take both of them out alone you're going to have a bad time.

Read my original post, I said a Winston AND a McCree.

This.

Obviously this only applies to QP as you won't ever run into 2 genjis in comp.

Rad-

Genji isn't that strong of a hero when he doesn't have his ult up. To counter him you just need to counter his ult. So Lucio ult, Reinhardt ult etc works.

LiK

I don't get it. The average skill level in Quick Play is plummeting. Is it because people have moved to ranked?

Most people who play seriously are playing Comp now. Unless you're in a full group in QP, you'll find people fucking around or practicing more often. I only usually find QP less of a mess when it's a full group vs another full group. The only exception is when groups team stack to fuck around.

brian!

He's still prtty rough even without his ult w/ his ability to single out ppl in hp range for his combo and get out relatively free.

He's the most fun hero in the game tho so i hope if they do decide to mess w/ him that his playstyle stays intact

Anne

Most heroes are good when an entire squad supports him in getting a kill.

That's how the game works, it's a team game :D

Remember if Zen is in the Winston bubble for instance he can't throw orbs out of it. They have to break the shield or get out of it/around it while a monkey is on them. The monkey's team gets to shoot through the shield while all this is happening too.

Don't understand why Bastion hasn't been tweaked to make use of his normal form. His usefulness is way to limited as a stationary target. Give his moving from something.

Soulflarz

Banned
Dunno who was telling you it was harder, it really seems more of an apples/oranges situation (as in it's easier for a mcree to shoot down a pharah on pc vs. console).

I expect reaper translates pretty fluidly since there's no aim involved and stuff like spacing and timing is more important, maybe his ult can get stunned out more quickly tho, but i dont play console and dont know what reaction stuns are like on there (i assume slower?).

For pc the skill doesnt really see a significant change until ~68+ but that's also me kinda just spitballing a number out through anecdotal experience.

But yeh itd be weird to call pc hard and console easy since they are pretty much different beasts.

Yeah was moreso this. I always thought this but I've constantly heard "oh pc is way harder, way faster in every way, etc" but it still feels the same to me? I mainly made my post as a "huh?" For everyone swearing console is a diff game.

Maybe it's cuz you're playing with scrubs at low levels. I don't suppose people playing at lower levels are much of a challenge for you.

Yep. This. FWIW you're a 60ish, right? QP has been slower than comp on console at that level from what I played.

brian!

Yeah the best counter for genji's ult outside of another ult like zen's is to make the situation oppressive for him.

@console vs. pc, i expect that if you are high up on one then youd be high up on the other, since at that point it's more than mechanical skill, it's game knowledge and etc.

Ramirez

so uh

You might want to give it more than one game before you start your not so subtle stealth bragging.

Soulflarz

Banned
^ive played pc before at friends lol and the betas, not just one match, was discussing lack of difference, not ranks, besides giving people a way out of "oh wait for higher ranks".

Yeah the best counter for genji's ult outside of another ult like zen's is to make the situation oppressive for him.

@console vs. pc, i expect that if you are high up on one then youd be high up on the other, since at that point it's more than mechanical skill, it's game knowledge and etc.

Optimize that main!

And how do you even use genjis ult I just die immediately if they aren't all squishy.

LiK

I spectated MarioHead last night when I joined his group and he's a good Genji. Wish I was good with him. Still figuring out a control scheme for him that I like.

Soulflarz

Banned
I spectated MarioHead last night when I joined his group and he's a good Genji. Wish I was good with him. Still figuring out a control scheme for him that I like.
Huge fan of jump l1 slash r1 reflect x, most people use something similar to that. Or just flip jump and reflect.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Genji just ruins the game once you get to around 60 rank in competitive, every game is just a case of which Genji wins it for their team, fucking hate it. I think the servers being so shit doesn't help as well, he's just so hard to hit.

Reaper walks the line between 'So OP that he NEEDS a nerf' and 'He's op but whatever, there are bigger issues' so damn well.

We still aren't talking about how fucking good he is. 'Nerf Genji' is gaining steam, and people are already complaining about the new Zen. Reaper is going to get away with it again, smh.

LiK

Genji just ruins the game once you get to around 60 rank in competitive, every game is just a case of which Genji wins it for their team, fucking hate it. I think the servers being so shit doesn't help as well, he's just so hard to hit.

And if he gets Nanoboosted, forget about it.

Ramirez

Reaper walks the line between 'So OP that he NEEDS a nerf' and 'He's op but whatever, there are bigger issues' so damn well.

We still aren't talking about how fucking good he is. 'Nerf Genji' is gaining steam, and people are already complaining about the new Zen. Reaper is going to get away with it again, smh.

Has the FTH buff helped any on console? I haven't got to play much since the Summer Games patch.

matmanx1

I actually think Reaper is in a really good place, balance wise. He performs a certain role and his kit supports this role extremely well. He kills quickly but can die almost as quickly and requires intelligence and some degree of thought to use well. He's not as "twitchy" as Tracer or Genji because he doesn't have their mobility options. I also like that he is a dps class that isn't about speed but is more about brute force applied in an intelligent manner.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
When people say "gg" and is not gg:

pIAriGk.gif

Copenap

So for this OW World Cup 4 countries from the Americas will participate but 3 spots are already given to US, Canada and Brazil...

R0ckman

When should I use McCree, it seems like I do bad with him if when I'm getting like quad teamed but awesome if team synergy is really high. But how does this play into team dynamics? Its not like I'm that far away from my team, but what the hell is my team doing that is allowing over half their teams attention on me? Is it that common for 1 player to distract 4 others? I guess thats what happens with me but do you need like 4 people to take out a McCree? I cant directly fight more than one person.

Squire

Banned
My Mercy use has gone down quite a bit lately with my default pick as Lucio most of the time. Depending on the map/tank, I'll most likely start with Mercy, but switch to Lucio towards the end, if the map is more closed off, making her easier to be picked off.

I'm mostly playing Mercy this week after having slept on her for quite a while. She's always been in my top three, but I just fell off the wagon. I think I'm in for good this time though. I actually like her on tighter maps too, since the team tends to cluster together more often. The only maps I don't really enjoy playing her on are Ilios and Lijiang.

Getting home just in time to team with a full 6 player stack of friends all on voice chat, playing 2 hours of Quick Play and winning almost every game. Overwatch is the best game ever fucking made. SO GOOD.

Amen.

They still need to up the penalty for quitting out in ranked. You should instantly drop a rank or something because when a team mate drops in this game your essentially guaranteed a loss.

Blues1990

Congrats! that's the only skin I really want and I will probably cry if I don't get it.

I did get tracer's like 3 times :(

Man, that's really rough. I was also hoping to get one of Lucio's football skins, but at the rate that I'm going, I'll be fine with earning blond haired Zarya, if it means that's the only skin from the Summer Olympics pack that I'll obtain. (Speaking of which, does her Olympian skin confirm that her natural hair colour is blond?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom