• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people say "gg" and is not gg:

pIAriGk.gif

did lucio say he got 3 gold and one was elim

Squire

Banned
Genji got mad popular with the last patch despite not getting buffed, but I'm not too worried. I take him out easy enough. I was repeatedly killing the enemy teams Genji and Pharah on Hanamura last night. Then they switched off and I kept killing their Rein.

This is playing Mercy and switching to blaster, btw.

Has the FTH buff helped any on console? I haven't got to play much since the Summer Games patch.

I haven't really noticed a difference, but it should. But 50% of the time or more it seems like he is able to wraith form away after a stun + FTH combo

I actually think Reaper is in a really good place, balance wise. He performs a certain role and his kit supports this role extremely well. He kills quickly but can die almost as quickly and requires intelligence and some degree of thought to use well. He's not as "twitchy" as Tracer or Genji because he doesn't have their mobility options. I also like that he is a dps class that isn't about speed but is more about brute force applied in an intelligent manner.

I actually agree that his kit works great with his role, and he's just a well made character altogether. It's just that he shreds tanks and squishies alike without a really hard counter. And can get away from danger very effectively, with a game changing ult. But I'm complete trash with him, so he definitely takes some skill.

I don't want to become that guy who always says characters are OP. I don't even think he needs a nerf, but I just find it funny that we are already complaining about Genji and new Zen and Reaper slips through the cracks again. Despite being extremely powerful, good at getting away from danger, fantastic ult. etc. He's a constant pick in competitive, and it's terrifying to see one coming for you.

caesar

Banned
I actually think Reaper is in a really good place, balance wise. He performs a certain role and his kit supports this role extremely well. He kills quickly but can die almost as quickly and requires intelligence and some degree of thought to use well. He's not as "twitchy" as Tracer or Genji because he doesn't have their mobility options. I also like that he is a dps class that isn't about speed but is more about brute force applied in an intelligent manner.

He requires virtually no aim though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has the FTH buff helped any on console? I haven't got to play much since the Summer Games patch.

I actually didn't think to try that. Assuming Fan is fast enough I believe you need flash + 5 of the shots to hit him but I think that'd be possible now with how fast it shoots.

Main thing I've noticed is that tracer and supports are reliably going down to it again. And that Genji deflect is apparently the size of a truck.

ksan

ok what the fuck

got 3 track and field tracers from my 50x
next 2 loot boxes i get from playing, i get one in each

thanks blizz

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Had a game where I didn't contest the payload and my team lambasted me for it, how embarassing. Made up for it in the next one!
did lucio say he got 3 gold and one was elim
Nope, it was the enemy team saying gg when we couldn't get past the 1st point, of course it was a gg for you, you won!

Bombless

Yay. 6 boxes so far, nothing but shit voice overs/sprays/icons and vanilla skins/dupes ontop of that. I'm done. Fuck you Blizzard, this event sure feels special and unique to me.

I played with a really good Ana and Zenyatta in comp the other day. Took out a Zarya with almost full health with a brilliantly coordinated sleep dart, discord, and charge in the span of 2 seconds.

My comp matches yesterday went suprisingly well actually. Won 6 out of 8 and only lost one because we had an afk Soldier 76 (who went afk after we practically rolled the other team on Gibraltar).

brian!

^ive played pc before at friends lol and the betas, not just one match, was discussing lack of difference, not ranks, besides giving people a way out of "oh wait for higher ranks".

Optimize that main!

And how do you even use genjis ult I just die immediately if they aren't all squishy.

Im def not a good guy to ask about that my ults are super fradulent. I usually slash into the air, pop ult and slash towards the backline and just wildly swing and spam slash hoping i get a reset, not a good look

Superflat

Does anyone know what the Overbuff stats mean for recent matches played? When it says you're the top (x)% in anything does it mean compared to your team, or compared to everyone playing the game in general at that time?

I don't know what earth possessed Blizz to think I want to join a losing team.

Feels fucking awesome to join a team getting owned on defense with the payload at the final checkpoint and 5+minutes to go or something. And you turn the tide and win the game for your team. It's time like those that you KNOW you were the carry, feels good man.

So last week I pretty much dedicated myself to only playing McCree, and I gotta say that fan the hammer buff on top of the primary fire buff is hitting a sweet spot. It seems to me that McCree is viable in most situations.

LiK

So last week I pretty much dedicated myself to only playing McCree, and I gotta say that fan the hammer buff on top of the primary fire buff is hitting a sweet spot. It seems to me that McCree is viable in most situations.

He's pretty deadly again. I die to just regular shots from a distance more now. And that stun is still rage inducing.

Reaper walks the line between 'So OP that he NEEDS a nerf' and 'He's op but whatever, there are bigger issues' so damn well.

We still aren't talking about how fucking good he is. 'Nerf Genji' is gaining steam, and people are already complaining about the new Zen. Reaper is going to get away with it again, smh.

If you made it so the first "Die" in "Die, Die, Die" preceded the act of the ult like it does for most other character's ults, and you gave him some actual damage dropoff so he was forced into a close effective range, he'd be fine.

I'm not that concerned with him being a beast up close, because he's the tank buster. The problem becomes when Winston leaps away and Reaper's still doing damn near full damage to him at range, or when he drops from a ledge to start his ult and the damage is applied full 2m above everyone and you don't even get a sound cue.

Anne

I think Reaper is more or less exactly where he should be. I think it's time to stop looking for hard counters and just do counter comps. Counter comps to Reaper are thigns that just have good poke or disengage.

He's pretty deadly again. I die to just regular shots from a distance more now. And that stun is still rage inducing.
Incidentally thats how i was most effective as McCree before this slight FTH buff. I know they nerfed his primary fire damage dropoff by 10 meters but its still really good.

Someone explain to me how Mercy being able to move better while using her resurrection ult is actually a nerf to her?

All I see is a change from someone running over a person and briefly stopping to see what's going on before high-tailing it out of there, to a flat out hit and run.

I think Reaper is more or less exactly where he should be. I think it's time to stop looking for hard counters and just do counter comps. Counter comps to Reaper are thigns that just have good poke or disengage.

I'm pretty adverse to nerfs/buffs, because it's almost never right on the money, even after multiple passes. See Tjorb on PS4 and Zen across the board.

But if a single character can be played at any level and consistently get medals, even healing ones, like Reaper can, it may be time to see why his efficacy is greater than most other characters.

Genji is a harder case, to me, because at low skill levels, he's an absolute joke. But at high ones, he's an absolute nightmare. You can't balance people's playing skills, so I'm not sure what the right answer is with him.

My inclination would be to say buff Winston, but he's got such an incredible skillset that he could get out of hand pretty damn quickly if he were buffed. The selfish side of me really wants to see him get buffed, because he's my go-to character for when I cross/blow right through that line of "just drunk enough."

matmanx1

He requires virtually no aim though.

He does require aim, as in there is a large difference between a Reaper who is consistently landing head shots and one who gets mainly body shots. I am definitely the latter and while I do consistently well in QP with Reaper vs other teams I often get gunned down by better Reapers who out shoot me up close. Why? Because they are better at aiming for my head.

Agree. If there's a Reaper on the other team then many times its more about map awareness and Ult awareness than it is a hard counter.

And it's easier than you think to nullify his Ult. Lucio, Zenyatta, Winston and Rein can all do it easily and D.Va can accomplish it with some skill. (responding to a different poster here)

One thing I might be in favor of is increasing his damage fall-off from his shotguns. You can still poke someone for decent damage over time from a distance if they don't move out of the way and there's no need for that with his current role and kit. I would be fine if he did zero damage at X number of feet (and X would be a fairly short distance away).

AngryMoth

Went in to quick play for the first time in quite a while to try learn how to play genji well and jesus it's a shitshow haha. Forgot how much I appreciate the lack of hero stacking in comp.

Also, still looking for some PS4 people to group up with if anyone fancies it, trying to claw my way out of the 40's still...

AngryMoth

30 seconds remaining, about to prevent the enemy from capping point A on Voskaya.

"A member of your team has left the match"

I don't think I can do this anymore. 4 gold medals, go down one rank. I'm going crazy here

30 seconds remaining, about to prevent the enemy from capping point A on Voskaya.

"A member of your team has left the match"

I don't think I can do this anymore. 4 gold medals, go down one rank. I'm going crazy here

Seeing a lot of people have experiences like this is why I haven't touched competitive. I get frustrated enough in QP, I don't need a meter making me feel bad too.

Apathy

Bad today too. They're either going backwards or others have caught them up, or both.

They just don't seem to mesh well. Dummy as the new guy does not seem to be working out. Gods is good when he turns it on, but sometimes he just does not show up. Pookz is ok, although I do question his usage of ults at time. Milo is good.

I don't know if they will last with NRG. I also don't know the organization well enough from other games, don't know if they are like a cloud9 or navi where their other teams in other games are at the top. They might not care and just got seagull because of the big following he has on Twitch and just want more of that "celebrity" person with a name attached to their org and might not 100% care about whether they are the top guys (or even if they need them to be since the backing of the org is from big name investors like Shaq and other rich/sports people).

Again that is just my guess, so if people that know the org better and can enlighten me I would appreciate it, don't want to just spew things out of my mouth as if I know whats going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom