• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's wrong with NRG/LG? Who are the weak links?

They may not be the best, but I can't imagine that Seagull and Gods are the ones holding them back.
Gods is inconsistent, pooks is meh, and Dummy needs some work. Seagull, Milo, and Enigma are good players and always hold up their end of the bargain, but the other half has some problems.

Rad-

NRG just needs more practice. Team house would very likely put them into top 2 or top 3 but I'm not sure if Seagull wants to do that as he is apparently making a crap load of money from streaming.

Though I wouldn't be shocked it they replaced some of the players not named Seagull. Gods is very good as well but very inconsistent.

Apathy

Gods is inconsistent, pooks is meh, and Dummy needs some work. Seagull, Milo, and Enigma are good players and always hold up their end of the bargain, but the other half has some problems.

Pretty much, every game the team must wonder which gods is going to show up, the one that can stand toe to toe with any top dps in the game or the gods that keeps dying constantly and can't hit headshots.

BTW the new LG also needs some practice, yesterday their McCree would constantly use up his ult even if there was no one to hit, like why would you do that, just cancel it and start from 50

Are they unable or unwilling to change? Shouldn't Seagull have a mobs of people trying to get attatched to him? That's the way get popular when you stream.

I would give Dummy a little more time, hes the newest, maybe he just needs more practice with the team to gel together. But at some point he might just not be right for the team. Gods has been with the team for a while so not sure how much of him staying is some sort of loyalty to him or friendship. That said, his inconsistency is a a problem. Even if they get new people, those new people won't necessarily be perfect meshing with the existing team. it's all going to take time

Are they unable or unwilling to change? Shouldn't Seagull have a mobs of people trying to get attatched to him? That's the way get popular when you stream.

NRG just needs more practice. Team house would very likely put them into top 2 or top 3 but I'm not sure if Seagull wants to do that as he is apparently making a crap load of money from streaming.

Though I wouldn't be shocked it they replaced some of the players not named Seagull. Gods is very good as well but very inconsistent.
Yeah, Seagull said a while back that he doesn't want a team house until the competitive scene becomes bigger because he likes to have privacy, as do some of his teammates, which is understandable.

Team house for them will definitely help though. Look at Envy. They have a team house and they're the best team. I mean it helps that they have amazing players but you get my point.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
So what's wrong with NRG/LG? Who are the weak links?

They may not be the best, but I can't imagine that Seagull and Gods are the ones holding them back.

I don't think it's specific players, but rather their overall team practice that prevents them from addressing their weaknesses (inconsistency + sometimes poor compositions and strategy). You can see how living together (EnvyUs) or at least bootcamping (C9, TSM, Fnatic) have caused huge improvements in other teams.

Ramirez

Guy messaged me on PSN calling me a cunt for picking Zen instead of Lucio. I told him to pick Lucio if it bothered him so much, he then told me he had to pick tank because he was the only one, and called me a prick.

I legitimately love when people get so worked up they have to message you, lol.

So I was playing with MarioHead and Vault last night in QP with some other peeps in a full group and we decided to just go stacking for fun but for some reason, another group happened to know what we used and already had counters which was weird. We decided to all go Soldiers in Anubis and the entire enemy team were Genjis. Not sure how that happened lol

The actually insane part was us going all Roadhog and the enemy team happening to choose all Bastion. As soon as we turned the corner we all knew we had made a huge mistake.

I spectated MarioHead last night when I joined his group and he's a good Genji. Wish I was good with him. Still figuring out a control scheme for him that I like.

I am sorry to say that I am not a good Genji. That match was a statistical anomaly.

R0ckman

I'm pretty adverse to nerfs/buffs, because it's almost never right on the money, even after multiple passes. See Tjorb on PS4 and Zen across the board.

But if a single character can be played at any level and consistently get medals, even healing ones, like Reaper can, it may be time to see why his efficacy is greater than most other characters.

Genji is a harder case, to me, because at low skill levels, he's an absolute joke. But at high ones, he's an absolute nightmare. You can't balance people's playing skills, so I'm not sure what the right answer is with him.

My inclination would be to say buff Winston, but he's got such an incredible skillset that he could get out of hand pretty damn quickly if he were buffed. The selfish side of me really wants to see him get buffed, because he's my go-to character for when I cross/blow right through that line of "just drunk enough."

I think defelect reducing his movement speed would be interesting. Or its not a proactive move but reactive. So if he wastes it and nothing shoots him within about a 0.5-0.7 sec time frame its cool down starts faster. So the player is not just sitting their with his finger in his nose waiting for the deflect to wear off. Plenty of time for him to get away.

MartyStu

Guy messaged me on PSN calling me a cunt for picking Zen instead of Lucio. I told him to pick Lucio if it bothered him so much, he then told me he had to pick tank because he was the only one, and called me a prick.

That guys is clearly a dick, but sounds like your team composition was problematic.

That was me. You cunt.

Not really, though, but I kind of admire that tenacity to have no sense of propriety to just go off on someone self-righteously while ignoring your own faults.

It's a fucking gift.

I think defelect reducing his movement speed would be interesting. Or its not a proactive move but reactive. So if he wastes it and nothing shoots him within about a 0.5-0.7 sec time frame its cool down starts faster. So the player is not just sitting their with his finger in his nose waiting for the deflect to wear off. Plenty of time for him to get away.

That's interesting. Re-work his deflect to something like D.Va's current Defense Matrix but make it root him in place a little. I don't hate that.

As for the folks mentioning Reaper's ult, I agree that it is stoppable. I play D.Va a decent amount and she eats it like crazy, even before the buff. I stil think it needs just a little heads up, since damn near everything else does.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Was Torb's build speed nerfed? It feels much slower. Wasn't in the patch notes either. :S

Yep. In patching out the animation cancel (RIP Torbjorn techskill), Blizzard broke things so that even his normal build speed is slower than before.

Squire

Banned
4I703Il.jpg

My first comp match in like a week. Goddamn, this was a good game. I don't even care that we lost.

Sianos

To those having issues with Genji: have you tried playing Mei against him? Keeping the freeze ray on him really limits his mobility and since it goes through deflect, there really isn't much he can do besides waste his dash. If you freeze him he's dead and the slow from even having the freeze ray on him should be enough from any teammate to be able to hit him and finish him off. You can also use defensive ultimates to protect your team if he tries to ultimate and dash into a clump of you during a push.

Winston also works, just hold down that M1, drop smart shields, and chase him around with your own jump.

Hero that I'm personally really having issues with is Reinhardt. Specifically, how to deal with a wifi warrior Reinhardt with an Ana friend. I've had some success as Mei, but he's still quite frustrating with his temporally displaced hammer that can hit people behind him and both meters away. Any advice?

Ramirez

That guys is clearly a dick, but sounds like your team composition was problematic.

Absolutely, but I'm not picking Lucio every single time no one picks support. I have 9 hours on him this comp season and I don't even enjoy playing him.

The guy picked DVA as our only tank on attack, despite a Rein and Zarya fucking him at the front gate of Kings Row. He had no business messaging me, lol.

LiK

The actually insane part was us going all Roadhog and the enemy team happening to choose all Bastion. As soon as we turned the corner we all knew we had made a huge mistake.

I am sorry to say that I am not a good Genji. That match was a statistical anomaly.

you playing tonight? i'm hoping to reach 60. so close already.

Absolutely, but I'm not picking Lucio every single time no one picks support. I have 9 hours on him this comp season and I don't even enjoy playing him.

The guy picked DVA as our only tank on attack, despite a Rein and Zarya fucking him at the front gate of Kings Row. He had no business messaging me, lol.

Lucio is life, just accept it!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

That's why you embrace the iris
while he's still the terminator he is right now before they inevitably swing the nerf hammer again.

Squire

Banned
To those having issues with Genji: have you tried playing Mei against him? Keeping the freeze ray on him really limits his mobility and since it goes through deflect, there really isn't much he can do besides waste his dash. If you freeze him he's dead and the slow from even having the freeze ray on him should be enough from any teammate to be able to hit him and finish him off. You can also use defensive ultimates to protect your team if he tries to ultimate and dash into a clump of you during a push.

Winston also works, just hold down that M1, drop smart shields, and chase him around with your own jump.

Hero that I'm personally really having issues with is Reinhardt. Specifically, how to deal with a wifi warrior Reinhardt with an Ana friend. I've had some success as Mei, but he's still quite frustrating with his temporally displaced hammer that can hit people behind him and both meters away. Any advice?

Rein? Just keep your distance and wait for him to drop the shield. Flank because flanking is always good. Aim high? He's a big target, so you should be score headshoys with spamming and dumb luck. My favorite thing to do is take him out from a distance as D.va (out of suit), Mercy, and S76. Realistically he's gonna go after the targets closest to him. Distance is the key.

Anne

Poke shield a bunch, once shield is low you get free pressure on him. If he gets out of position with shield and you have a decent DPS character just run through the shield and murder him. Like if you're Reaper just go in there if you get a chance.

If he swings the hammer at you, jump. When hammer hits it causes knockback. Momentum is higher on airborne characters, so it's more likely he knocks you out of range.

If he has Ana ult run the hell away unless he has discord + other teammates on him. You can realistically just wait that shit out from a distance.

When did it become common for the cunt on your or their team to write "Ez" after every game? Because I would like to go back in time before this was a thing.

ramyeon

Have people seen the video claiming that Sombra was in the olympic games overwatch trailer?
There is some legit stuff in that trailer though. Code in Tracer's speed trail, hints in the background at several points that are something to do with a compass.

Streamer asked about "The compass" to the Devs on the Dev talk yesterday and Kaplan said something like "That's way over our heads" which led to people looking in the sky in Dorado and finding some sort of weird barcode or code in the sky when altered.
And now they're trying to superimpose it over a sky view of the fountain in Dorado: https://imgur.com/a/PJyFq

It's fucking insane. Blizzard are KILLING IT with the Sombra ARG. Read about more here: http://wiki.gamedetectives.net/index.php?title=Sombra_ARG

I've seen something I thought I would never see. An Ana POTG.

Nothing crazy, and since the match was a full blown steamroll I'm guessing there was nothing good enough but a 2 kill Ana POTG.

LiK

I've seen something I thought I would never see. An Ana POTG.

Nothing crazy, and since the match was a full blown steamroll I'm guessing there was nothing good enough but a 2 kill Ana POTG.

they need to rework how she gets POTGs. i think kills by someone else using her Nanoboost should be one of the main contributors. but all the credit goes to the other guy only.

Well I just wasted $5. I decided to buy 5 lootcrates to try and get some summer skins. The only summer items I got were repeats and player icons.

Fuck this

they need to rework how she gets POTGs. i think kills by someone else using her Nanoboost should be one of the main contributors. but all the credit goes to the other guy only.

The need to change how they do POTG's in general. Too many junkrat / hanzo / reaper POTG's. Wiping a team at the beginning of the match and the team still loses isn't a POTG.

belushy

Banned
There is some legit stuff in that trailer though. Code in Tracer's speed trail, hints in the background at several points that are something to do with a compass.

Streamer asked about "The compass" to the Devs on the Dev talk yesterday and Kaplan said something like "That's way over our heads" which led to people looking in the sky in Dorado and finding some sort of weird barcode or code in the sky when altered.

And now they're trying to superimpose it over a sky view of the fountain in Dorado: https://imgur.com/a/PJyFq

It's fucking insane. Blizzard are KILLING IT with the Sombra ARG. Read about more here: http://wiki.gamedetectives.net/index.php?title=Sombra_ARG

Hahaha this is awesome. Didn't realize Bliz were going in on this as much as they are. Hopefully Sombra doesn't end up being a let down with this ARG built around her.

Well that was BS. We had a team kill on Ilios. So we all relaxed while we were capping the point because we thought it was an easy cap. Nope. About a second after the team kill message, 3 guys came out of nowhere and destroyed us with there Dva and Reaper ults. They really need to make it where as soon as someone spawns, the team kill thing can't pop up. Too many times my time has calmed down only to have people immediately come right after the message.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Random tangent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiy6jHdAJBU

So, I killed the Genji here after he took out sword. Not shown but after he respawns, he comes back and immediatly has ult. I really hate the ult charge holdover, a shutdown should like this should totally wipe his percent. As-is unless this leads to the end of the match he basically doesn't get punished for getting caught like this.

Blizzard pls.

Sianos

Rein? Just keep your distance and wait for him to drop the shield. Flank because flanking is always good. Aim high? He's a big target, so you should be score headshoys with spamming and dumb luck. My favorite thing to do is take him out from a distance as D.va (out of suit), Mercy, and S76. Realistically he's gonna go after the targets closest to him. Distance is the key.

Poke shield a bunch, once shield is low you get free pressure on him. If he gets out of position with shield and you have a decent DPS character just run through the shield and murder him. Like if you're Reaper just go in there if you get a chance.

If he swings the hammer at you, jump. When hammer hits it causes knockback. Momentum is higher on airborne characters, so it's more likely he knocks you out of range.

If he has Ana ult run the hell away unless he has discord + other teammates on him. You can realistically just wait that shit out from a distance.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely practice surfing better off of those hammer swings and being more aggressive about crossing his shield on strong burst heroes.

Versus nanoboosted Reinhardt, I'll try to kite him more. Maybe Mei's wall will prove effective at that?

maouvin

This ARG stuff is too much for me. Thankfully there's dedicated people on it so we can just enjoy the development.

brian!

Random tangent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiy6jHdAJBU

So, I killed the Genji here after he took out sword. Not shown but after he respawns, he comes back and immediatly has ult. I really hate the ult charge holdover, a shutdown should like this should totally wipe his percent. As-is unless this leads to the end of the match he basically doesn't get punished for getting caught like this.

Blizzard pls.

yeah, it should be case by case tho
mcree retaining 50% constantly is particularly egregiouszsz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom