• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's not fun at all. This meta in general right now just sucks dick on console, IMO.

Playing defense is no fun at all right now, you pretty much have to be absolutely perfect to stop people if they're half way competent as a team. Never thought I'd say this, but I miss the old Torb meta to the current offensive steam roll.

I actually think this buffed Dva would be really good against old Torb, plus they axed stacking which was the only actual problem with him...I still don't like the way they approached the nerf on him and Symm at all.

I know that I'm stuck down in a shitty level section for comp but how do people not understand issues with overextending.

I think the Overwatch player base might be among the dumbest as far as situational awareness and basic strategy.

It used to be Destiny. The number of matches lost because idiots felt the desire to go for C when we had A and B well in hand was mind-numbing, but nothing compared to the idiocy you witness in Overwatch.

I know that I'm stuck down in a shitty level section for comp but how do people not understand issues with overextending.

Funny, the problems I had with competitive was the exact opposite of overextending - people just keeping back and hiding behind cover and immediately pulling out the moment a bullet grazes them, and not making use of the utility/CC ults of their tanks or supports.

Only on KotH it seems like people turn 180 and go full ham with trickling in 1 by 1 while the entire enemy team is on the point.

I think the Overwatch player base might be among the dumbest as far as situational awareness and basic strategy.

It used to be Destiny. The number of matches lost because idiots felt the desire to go for C when we had A and B well in hand was mind-numbing, but nothing compared to the idiocy you witness in Overwatch.

Yea some fuckwads even play Mei and try to wall off their entire team the whole game. Can you believe that shit?

I mean, I understand that I'm not great at the game mechanically.

But I feel like the shit that I understand at a strategic level should be basic AF. On their long walk back from getting killed while overextended, these dopes never think "Gee, maybe I should hang back and hold the choke points with my team"?

Ugh. ;____;
Yea some fuckwads even play Mei and try to wall off their entire team the whole game. Can you believe that shit?
Lol I wasn't going to say it, but I'm glad someone did.

Soulflarz

Banned
That's really only good advice at super high level play. In Quick Play/lower level play, you can do just as fine not having the teleporter up within the first minute, especially while you're learning how to handle the character.
If I took that advice of yours, I would have maybe 30 minutes of playtime on Symmetra.

Games in suuch a weird place right now with this stuff. Esp cause you still hear "ana can solo heal!" and stuff and you'd counter "no, she can't, it's been prov- <etc>" at high level, but they could be a 30, so who knows X_X

Yes. Situational awareness is hilarious. Widow above? I can usually tele on her and kill her. Tele. One of the loudest moves in the entire game. Average DPS? Walk forward, use ability, rinse repeat.

Man I miss launch destiny, going 25-2 with shotguns was autopilot in lone wolves (or whatever they call solo deathmatch) since people didn't understand movement.

Ramirez

I actually think this buffed Dva would be really good against old Torb, plus they axed stacking which was the only actual problem with him...I still don't like the way they approached the nerf on him and Symm at all.

I think their balancing in general has been terrible because they balanced everything around stacking. The game has become progressively less fun for me since launch.

Syntax

If someone's better than you at video games, they're a nerd.

If they're worse, they're an idiot.

If they're the same, they're a dick.

Soulflarz

Banned
I think their balancing in general has been terrible because they balanced everything around stacking. The game has become progressively less fun for me since launch.

Also a huge issue of OW

This game isn't balanced at the moment. You'd think X or Y for counterpicks, but people just use mirror teams with slight variations and many things set in stone. If it was truly balanced, Lucio wouldn't be the cornerstone of a team.

I think labeling people in set roles wasn't correct (see defense being bad at everything vs offense, or zen being a healer even though he's more useful for discord+damage)

If someone's better than you at video games, they're at an artificially high rank they didn't deserve and are near your skill level, and really, lets be honest with ourselves, if you played more you'd be higher than them.

If they're worse, they're trash at this game, because after all, you aren't that good, and they're even worse.

If they're the same, you're better than them and deserve to be a higher rank.

FTFY based on OW common responses

Games in suuch a weird place right now with this stuff. Esp cause you still hear "ana can solo heal!" and stuff and you'd counter "no, she can't, it's been prov- <etc>" at high level, but they could be a 30, so who knows X_X

Well I mean at high level competitive feel free to argue about team comp as much as you please. That's fine, and selecting team comps is part of competitive as much as playing itself.

But if you go apeshit on people about their character picks in Quick Play, then you should get the fuck out and play competitive instead. While I like winning games as much as anyone, the thing I want when playing Overwatch is having fun, and not getting yelled at by people for picking the character I pick.
Which, granted, is rarely a problem anyway since I almost always play Support/Tank.

Ramirez if you are feeling unsatisfied by game then you could make it your personal mission to take me from 65 into the 70's. Imagine how rewarding it would feel.

James-Franco.gif

His gamertag is JaegarDice, if you want to know.

He's actually not too bad in QP, but then you check Competitive...

Yes, all EDIT: 21 games played or so. 14 completed? Something like that.

And in a shocking turn of events, throwing a match in competitive really hurts your overbuff 'skill rating', whatever the hell that is.

Veelk

Banned
Yes, all 14 games played or so.

And in a shocking turn of events, throwing a match in competitive really hurts your overbuff 'skill rating', whatever the hell that is.

Frankly, you're not so hot on your individual QP characters either. None of your characters are above the 20th percentile.

Soulflarz

Banned
Let's face it. Whatever conpetitive MP you're on has the 'worst playerbase ever'. It's a never ending cycle.

60s>70s>40s>30s??>50s

60s are mostly fun, everyone knows they're above average, etc
70s are tryhards and if someone got there with a main that isn't viable all over you can very easily lose a match with 6 competent players sadly. See- I had a rienhardt main and our DPS were Pharah and Reaper. He was the definition of useless compared to any other tank, since a dps wouldn't be behind him ever.
40s? I hear they're relatively fun and easy to get out of once you get out of it skill wise...until 47+, see 50s.
30s I have no idea but it can't be as bad as the 50s
50s...50s are a special place. This is where everyone is. Everyone hates their teammates, and their choice of hero was clearly optimal. They also outplay their teammates constantly- especially when they ping people for those eliminations up, since you know having gold elims but not even bronze damage means something (lol medals). 50s is really a cesspool of hate on console and people get stuck there forever because some simply can't become top 5% from playing more. It's demoralizing and your rank doesn't move at all. It's the closest thing to ELO hell as this game will probably ever see. Except not really, because honestly, if everyone claims they're in ELO hell, and the 50s are designed to trap the vast majority of the playerbase, they're...technically right at home?

steriotype list please do not hate

Well I mean at high level competitive feel free to argue about team comp as much as you please. That's fine, and selecting team comps is part of competitive as much as playing itself.

But if you go apeshit on people about their character picks in Quick Play, then you should get the fuck out and play competitive instead. While I like winning games as much as anyone, the thing I want when playing Overwatch is having fun, and not getting yelled at by people for picking the character I pick.
Which, granted, is rarely a problem anyway since I almost always play Support/Tank.

Lol I don't tell them they're incorrect or anything, I just nod and move on in QP, since I don't care about it at all, just weird stuff I note.

lol, feel free to add me. I'll play with anyone.

Even me? :3

Frankly, you're not so hot on your individual QP characters either. None of your characters are above the 20th percentile.

It's amazing how being left alone to die repeatedly can impact that, lol.

Deaths and K/D are pretty good for most characters, That's the bulk of what a guy running solo can control. I'm fine with it.

His gamertag is JaegerDice, if you want to know.

He's actually not too bad in QP, or he has a slightly above average winrate anyway, but then you check Competitive...
Nothing showing up, so maybe he spells it a little different or something. But I'll just take your word for it.

I don't want to dive to deep into this. Suffice to say that I won't ever take the endless whining about teammates seriously from a guy who constantly trolls teammates.

Edit: oh you linked it. Antitype I just want you to know that your teammates absolutely hate it when you 'main' a VERY bad Genji in QP.
lol, feel free to add me. I'll play with anyone.

I actually think we've played on a few gaf trains before. But I guess I never sent a request. Will do.

Veelk

Banned
Nothing showing up, so maybe he spells it a little different or something. But I'll just take your word for it.

I don't want to dive to deep into this. Suffice to say that I won't ever take the endless whining about teammates seriously from a guy who constantly trolls teammates.

I accidentally wrote JaegarDice rather than JaegerDice, but I corrected it with a link. It's working for me.

It's amazing how being left alone to die repeatedly can impact that, lol.

Deaths and K/D are pretty good for most characters, That's the bulk of what a guy running solo can control. I'm fine with it.

Plenty of people soloqueue, I spent 3 times the amount of my time in QP than I have in Comp, most of it solo, and I have better stats than that. I'm not saying I'm a good player, but you can do better than your doing even playing alone.

Also, K/D ratio's are pretty meaningless in this game. If you shoot an enemy and they die, it still counts toward your kill count, even if you did only 1% damage.

So, to summarize, you're trying to avoid being labeled a bad player because you quit all the Comp games you were put into, you're shitty stats don't count because it's obviously your teammates fault, you're trying to promote an inflated metric, and we still have to take your word for it that all the shit you talk to others isn't as applicable to you.

If nothing else, you could have enough selfawareness to realize that your bitching about bad players doesn't reflect well on you when we have every reason to believe you're not that great. It wouldn't be okay even if you were as superior to the other players as you claim, but especially if we look at your record and have no reason to be impressed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yes. Situational awareness is hilarious. Widow above? I can usually tele on her and kill her. Tele. One of the loudest moves in the entire game. Average DPS? Walk forward, use ability, rinse repeat.

That part is part of why I find reaper hilarious.

"I'm a stealthy badass!"

*In a very loud voice* "DEATH COMES...."

Soulflarz

Banned
Reminder overbuff is in a weird place where if you play bad opponents your overbuff goes up but playing good ones makes it go down due to it only tracking numbers and your numbers are better on worse players. Hence if you go rank 50->55->53, 55 is when you probably had the lower averages due to harder opponents. It's weird.

That part is part of why I find reaper hilarious.

"I'm a stealthy badass!"

*In a very loud voice* "DEATH COMES...."

Never tele into combat I will shout this from the rooftops until I stop seeing it. Also never walk forward and ult after wraithing, half the cast can and will stop you.

xaosslug

was just in a comp match on King's Row w/ a D.Va that ulted 5 times while we were on defence, to my 2... that shit was ridiculous. @__@ I'm assuming headshots? But she didn't seem to be doing much the entire match. She would just appear out of nowhere and ult.

dat ish cray.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah I can agree with that too.

What's funny is they nerfed Winston shields because of stacks, but you can stack Dva in QP and basically always have matrix up and stagger cap with her ult. They need to make a strong stand one direction, it's impossible to balance everything individually and in stacks.

Ramirez if you are feeling unsatisfied by game then you could make it your personal mission to take me from 65 into the 70's. Imagine how rewarding it would feel.

What's your PSN? I don't think I have you.

Jokab

One thing that I think a lot of people don't realize with a matchmaking system is that people who are roughly the same rank as you on average contribute just as much to winning the game as you do. Doesn't have to mean they aim as well as you, or that they have as good map awareness as you do. But there's something they contribute to make them win games. If you're getting more kills than them, there's something they're better than you at, else you wouldn't be the same rank. After a hundred hours the sample size is too large to be coincidental.

Soulflarz

Banned
One thing that I think a lot of people don't realize with a matchmaking system is that people who are roughly the same rank as you on average contribute just as much to winning the game as you do. Doesn't have to mean they aim as well as you, or that they have as good map awareness as you do. But there's something they contribute to make them win games. If you're getting more kills than them, there's something they're better than you at, else you wouldn't be the same rank. After a hundred hours the sample size is too large to be coincidental.

Yep

The only times this doesn't apply to your specific match anger or whatever is see the example above

You have 2 flankers as DPS.
Rein is a bad choice no matter what. Play Roadhog or D Va, you might be notably worse, but a Reinhardt is actively the worst choice you could be making for the teams tank in that case. Stuff like that.
(alternatively the dps could change to the rein, but the comp doesn't work otherwise)

however, overall, the rein main had to be decent to get there obviously.

The single biggest problem I have with people who play Overwatch is that almost none of the DPS I play with understand high ground advantage. It's not that hard to understand - if you are higher than someone else you have a better angle to shoot from and are much harder to reach. Why is that so hard. I've been forced to play DPS for so long... :l

This might actually be the biggest problem I have with every FPS playerbase other than Halo. Somehow Halo players get it.

Permanently A

Man. Blizzard should change it so that the guaranteed summer item is the highest rarity item in the box. I got so excited for the double epic and I got credits and lucio's epic skin that's literally a poop recolor.

zoukka

My single most favourite thing to do in Overwatch is hearing "it's high noon", quickly turning 180 degrees and sleep darting Mccree.

I sometimes pull this off with inhuman speed. Of course you miss a lot and it feels bad, but when you pull it off in a fraction of a second you feel like a god.

Yup, just as I suspected. Last time I play shitty comp mode. (qualified to 55 rank in the opening week, then stopped playing) I don't need that sorta stress in my life, especially for how long an average match lasts. I was willing to go through the effort if I at least got cp for losses, but for wins only? I love ya Overwatch, I don't love you THAT much.

Yowza my internet will keep me from achieving Overwatch greatness. Sometimes it drops to an absolute crawl without warning and I lag like crazy. I actually managed to win the one game I played, but yeesh.

Sorry Ramirez :( another time hopefully.

And Overbuff hasn't updated all day. :/

Ramirez

Yowza my internet will keep me from achieving Overwatch greatness. Sometimes it drops to an absolute crawl without warning and I lag like crazy. I actually managed to win the one game I played, but yeesh.

Sorry Ramirez :( another time hopefully.

And Overbuff hasn't updated all day. :/

NP, shitty Internet has cost me 4-5 ranks this year from disconnects, lol.

Overwatch is like an abusive SO.

I keep swearing off comp and I keep coming back.

Finally made it to 50 tonight, playing only Zen. Time to stop before my luck runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom