• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Got some great advice for solo queue players who want a fresh perspective. Solo queuing is like opening loot boxes. The outcome is random, but determined the moment the game is matched, but you won't really know until you play it. :)

zoukka

Got some great advice for solo queue players who want a fresh perspective. Solo queuing is like opening loot boxes. The outcome is random, but determined the moment the game is matched, but you won't really know until you play it. :)

You just gotta carry that shit.

finalflame

You just gotta carry that shit.

Unless you're skilled far above the actual skill representative of your rank, there's no way you're carrying shit. Even then, there's no guarantee you can "carry" just by being insanely good for where you're currently placed.

I find the suggestion to "carry" in Overwatch is pretty asinine; we see pro players unable to carry shitty teams at/around their own rank all the time, just watch any stream with players from EnVyUs, C9, etc.

For most people and most games, how good your team is and how willing they are to work together will define 99% of the game. Best you can do is hop on voice chat and hope to pull off some coordination.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've wiped 5 members of the enemy team out before on a flank and had my team still not cap the objective

can't carry shit in a small team based game like that.

Kito

You don't panic when you see the slow ass symmetra ball approaching. And it's not like the Rein can just step to absorb it.

It's a silly counter.

It's not just one though. A million of them floating to a Bastion denies him his spot. Reinhardt would block Bastion's view and allow people to trickle in by absorbing it.

It's a silly counter that works in solo queue, not rank 65 groups or pro play (where Bastion is rarely seen anyway), lol.

zoukka

It's not just one though. A million of them floating to a Bastion denies him his spot. Reinhardt would block Bastion's view and allow people to trickle in by absorbing it.

It's a silly counter that works in solo queue, not rank 65 groups or pro play (where Bastion is rarely seen anyway), lol.

Well I have never seen this tactic, let alone it working so it's hard for me to comment. Besides that Symmetria can only fire so many balls per second and they are not outdamaging a bastion that is being healed.

Unless you're skilled far above the actual skill representative of your rank, there's no way you're carrying shit. Even then, there's no guarantee you can "carry" just by being insanely good for where you're currently placed.

I find the suggestion to "carry" in Overwatch is pretty asinine; we see pro players unable to carry shitty teams at/around their own rank all the time, just watch any stream with players from EnVyUs, C9, etc.

For most people and most games, how good your team is and how willing they are to work together will define 99% of the game. Best you can do is hop on voice chat and hope to pull off some coordination.

Yeah I wasn't being serious.

finalflame

Yeah I wasn't being serious.

post-54731-chow-yun-fat-thumbs-up-gif-Img-uDN9.gif

I think I've had too much Overwatch today and need to go to bed.

And honestly, it's sometimes hard to tell, because some people will actually tell you/believe you need to get good enough to "carry" to be able to progress in solo ranked.

zoukka

And honestly, it's sometimes hard to tell, because some people will actually tell you/believe you need to get good enough to "carry" to be able to progress in solo ranked.

I know. One form of this is to refer to your "golds" in a match that went horribly wrong.

Copenap

But it's just as silly to blame your (not meaning you specifically) poor rank on bad luck. After enough games you will end up at your "true" rank or at least in the right ball park. If you only play with 40s and think you're a 60, you should play better than your oponents and even if your team truely are 40s, you will win more than 50% because you "carry" in the sense of playing above your shown rank.

Copenap

For me it's damage on a non-dps hero. You get credit for an elimination just by coughing on an opponent; a gold in that means zilch.
Most of the time you can at least use it to tell whether you're bad. If I'm dps and do not have medals in elims and damage I'm probably doing a bad job (someone in this thread made a nice post about this). However, the opposite, meaning gold/silver in these categories, doesn't necessarily mean you're doing well.

That's at least how I sometimes use the medals do adjust my heroe selection.

LiK

Most of the time you can at least use it to tell whether you're bad. If I'm dps and do not have medals in elims and damage I'm probably doing a bad job (someone in this thread made a nice post about this). However, the opposite, meaning gold/silver in these categories, doesn't necessarily mean you're doing well.

That's at least how I sometimes use the medals do adjust my heroe selection.

i like to use it to see how well i'm doing compared to my teammates. if I'm primarily gold and we're getting stomped, then I know we're super not doing well and must adjust our strat.

patchday

I actually think I do see pro streamers carry a lot though when I see them play with randoms. Sure they lose sometimes but that's expected

Like I suggested before- I suspect the lower ranked players are just where they belong and if they compared their stats to higher ranked players the truth will be revealed.

In League of Legends I have no doubt I am not a good player because I can simply compare my stats and its plain as freakin' day I belonged right where I placed (Bronze)

Overwatch could use a much better api!!!!!

(I love the last comment)

patchday

Btw, posts like this make me feel for OW ranked players. This sounds like a very logical reason why a lot of people have some hard times progressing. This is simply hard math that shows there is some issues with the dynamic queue.

LiK

the only hero who can literally carry a team is Zarya, imo. a good Zarya who can keep protecting their teammates at the right time is really annoying. had a game last night where every time i almost killed a Genji (doesn't matter which part of the map we were on), I get him to near death and a bubble comes outta no where to prevent the killing blow and he runs away.

patchday

the only hero who can literally carry a team is Zarya, imo. a good Zarya who can keep protecting their teammates at the right time is really annoying. had a game last night where every time i almost killed a Genji (doesn't matter which part of the map we were on), I get him to near death and a bubble comes outta no where to prevent the killing blow and he runs away.

I am a Zarya primary actually :)

LiK

Probably a pet peeve of mine but I just wanna say that if we happen to play against people who are in Top 500, there's no need to keep saying stuff like "we're gonna lose." or "they're probably better than us and we're gonna get stomped." That doesn't help anyone.

I've got about 80 hours across quick play and competitive on Lucio and can't even recall getting silver in damage, let alone gold. Did your team have no DPS or something.

This was a while ago, so I can't recall exactly, but I'm pretty sure there was at least one DPS on the team.

Hell, even the tanks should out-damage Lucio.

I love when I'm playing support and I have gold for kills and objective time as well as heals.

But I only have 3 kills.

I give my offense heroes so much crap for that.

buff 👏 widowmaker 👏 on 👏 consoles 👏

I don't think she needs a buff, shes pretty good where she is right now. Although they classify her as a defense hero she isn't all that good on defense, but on attack she's as good as any of the offence characters.

btw anyone know if the servers on PS4 are region locked like they are on PC?

Sidenote, as much as I didn't like doing it, I got Car Wash last night on King's Row. Put 6 turrets on one side of the gate and waited until someone walked through to beam them. :p

Now that I have that achievement, never again will I put 6 turrets so closely together.

LiK

I don't think she needs a buff, shes pretty good where she is right now. Although they classify her as a defense hero she isn't all that good on defense, but on attack she's as good as any of the offence characters.

I don't believe so. i played with guys from other countries. maybe they had NA copy? i never asked.

I don't believe so. i played with guys from other countries. maybe they had NA copy? i never asked.

that's cool if it isn't region locked. I always seem to get put in games with people from France, Germany, Spain etc so I thought maybe it was

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think the servers are region locked but they're kinda weird about which region falls where?

Like I'm australian but I'm in the americas and have a lot of koreans in my game.

Blues1990

Things went well for me today. As Zenyatta, I got a 8 game win streak, and became the MPV in a couple of them. Also, I finally got Lucio's awesome football player skin, which will go great with his emote that I got in the previous loot crate.

I think I'm finally getting the hand with both Zenyatta and Zarya, but I need to work on Lucio, Ana, and Mercy.

LiK

Will do. I wonder if I still have your handle from Destiny. I'll holla if I'm active on ps4 again. I like how there's no aimbots there :D

Cool, what's your PSN? i forget.

I think I'm finally getting the hand with both Zenyatta and Zarya, but I need to work on Lucio, Ana, and Mercy.

I still suck with Zen. He is so godly when we have him on our team. I appreciate the Gaffers who use him well and heal me when needed. He let's me keep my maniac Junkrat going, lol.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The most annoying feeling as a Genji player is solo wiping a team and have your team kind of mosey over to the point after doing lord knows what, then they get wiped by respawns.

Why do people run away from the point the second they've captured it? If we stay as a group and protect it, it will be a lot fucking harder for us to lose it.

Just had a game on Nepal where we capture the point first in every round, then I just watched in amazement as I, Lucio, was left to battle for myself whilst everyone else went running towards the opposition's spawn point. It didn't take long for them to over power us, gain control of the point and keep it locked down. Three fucking times that happened! THREE!

And Junkrat, you pissy little Aussie fuck! Go stand on the objective. Why does dying in overtime worry you so much, you explosive arsehole!

Jellie

Things went well for me today. As Zenyatta, I got a 8 game win streak, and became the MPV in a couple of them. Also, I finally got Lucio's awesome football player skin, which will go great with his emote that I got in the previous loot crate.

Really want that Lucio skin. The gun has a cool design with it. Got the crappy generic white version myself.

LiK

The most annoying feeling as a Genji player is solo wiping a team and have your team kind of mosey over to the point after doing lord knows what, then they get wiped by respawns.

Have someone play Winston to counter him. Even if you're not a great Winston player, he usually scares away a good Genji player. We were losing in Comp to a good Genji until I switched to Winston with my main goal of fucking up that Genji. Worked well.

My psn is sandboxgod

alright cool.

I'm getting half-decent with Zarya in case you wanna add. I'm EU/UK though. Mainly play Zarya, Junkrat, Mercy and Pharah. Same as GAF name.

got it.

I can't help but disagree tbh. Even if you have 1337 aim there's still no point in picking her over, say, McCree, and that's an issue.

Blues1990

I still suck with Zen. He is so godly when we have him on our team. I appreciate the Gaffers who use him well and heal me when needed. He let's me keep my maniac Junkrat going, lol.
When I play as Mr. Roboto, I feel incredibly calm & controlled in any given situation. Zenyatta is a peaceful character with a soothing voice, so it helps me focus on duel healing my allies & DPSing the stupid Genji's & tanks that want to wreck my shit.

Really want that Lucio skin. The gun has a cool design with it. Got the crappy generic white version myself.

I feel fortunate that I have the Olympian skins that I wanted, as I keep reading horror stories of players either getting duplicates or sprays for their daily loot crates. The Brazillian football uniform fits Lucio much better than the generic white one, for sure.

GregHorrorShow

Neo Member
And once again. We're on attack, it's 5v5 at the point right now. I kill three people as Tracer and die. As soon as I die NO ONE is on the point, the other 4 just shoot at the point while people defend it.

If there's just one thing I want people to learn: Fuck your kills. Get on the point. Kills don't matter.

I'd just never play Quick Play again but I'm too scared to lose my rank haha... Also I want to learn Tracer.

Have to say this is the most frustrating thing about Competitive for me. I'm more than happy for people to pick whatever hero they want but you've GOT to be playing the objective.

It's heartbreaking the amount of times I've lost matches in Overtime simply because the one or two players that were on the objective just ran away from it when under no threat at all.

Surely by Level 25 you would have an idea of how the game works?

What would be a necessary buff for her? More damage? She seems strong already with a good player.

They applied the PC nerf to the console versions and lowered her bodyshot damage, even though she was one of the least effective characters on console. They should probably at least reverse that nerf to make her even remotely viable.

What would be a necessary buff for her? More damage? She seems strong already with a good player.
I think if they just put the body shot damage back where it was it would be fine. There's really no need for it to be that low anymore what with Zen getting a significant health buff, and that's mostly who it was about. That means that the only person who will die from full health from a body shot from Widow is Tracer, and it would have to be an extraordinarily good Widow or an extraordinarily poor Tracer for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom