• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrs

bastion seriously need a walking speed buff with 10 sec timers or they are just going to be the exclusive class of the payload third wheel with Reinhardt
Seriously, there is a resurrence of bastians latelyand people are goddamn incapable of taking them down. I'm seeing a bastian/reinhardt combo everywhere. Why. How.
because bastion is a slow pile of scrap metal and is shit anywhere else, it removes more of the risks with needing to set up and hopefully not get fucked by genji/mei/junkrat/your hero here

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, it is different, because bastion and high noon both lack something genji's ult has: speed and mobility. It's a huge factor in the game right now.

Like, I don't think it's super OP, but it's something they can look at. I still just don't think it's an amazing ult by itself but when combined with others it can kill off a whole team.

Though really, if pharah can make her way back to the meta genji will have a harder time.

It really just seems to be a problem of people just shooting down the Genji. That's how you cancel plenty of other ults. Genji ain't any different. Or get a Winston and pester the Genji.

But every offensive ult combined with other ults is amazing, that's not something special to Genji.

Satch

Banned
Well its because ur kinda missing the point

If bastion and mccree had mobility like gengus maybe they would be extremely powerful. Thats actually another thing thats comparable to dota. Mobility has become a HUGEEEEEE THING in that game compared to when it started and its honestly massive in this game as well. if bastion could climb walls and do flips while mowing people down then maybe u would have a point but he cant

Nah, it is different, because bastion and high noon both lack something genji's ult has: speed and mobility. It's a huge factor in the game right now.
Thank you

QP. must be because i'm pairing with a friend who's under lvl 50 but all i need was to play zen (i just played support between zen and lucio). just discord the person in front and let them take them out. healing wasn't a problem. zen so OP if they don't take him out. that and at one point or through the whole game i had gold in damage. lol. (i had gold in healing too even with roadhog ;P). the other team couldn't take the first point in hollywood. so now i have zen, lucio and hanzo/widow, and mcree. i need to learn to play tank decently too.

Well you're also missing my point. Dota is not fucking Overwatch. That game has a different play style, different characters, etc.

You can't compare the two games already. They have two completely different levels of balancing because Dota is more complex and, like you said, has way more characters.

Again, apples and oranges.

Having mobility doesn't make you OP. Climbing walls doesn't make you OP. Tracer? Not OP. Hanzo? Not even funny.

Antiwhippy

Speed boost is kinda OP though.

Again, I'm kinda on the side of "just shoot him", but I mean consider it as a package. Tracer isn't OP (other than being real fucking annoying), but she can't deal 120 dmg/s and have a killing combo that resets her dash.

Again, I'm kinda on the side of "just shoot him", but I mean consider it as a package. Tracer isn't OP (other than being real fucking annoying), but she can't deal 120 dmg/s and have a killing combo that resets her dash.
Yeah, but they do that much damage because it's hard to be accurate with them. That's why they also have no damage falloff. Plus, the combo is kind of a risk/reward kind of thing because you have to get right in there face to do it and that could easily get you killed if you screw it up.

Agreed with this. Tracer and Genji are supposed to fill similar roles, but Genji so much better at just about everything than Tracer is. He has more mobility (Tracer has no vertical mobility, while Genji has the climb, double jump AND can use his dash to go straight up if he wants to), one of the best ults in the game as opposed to a comparably mediocre ult, better survivability thanks to having more health, a deflect which can counteract ultimates and his dash.

But again, I am fine with Genji as a whole, just his ult needs to be changed a bit. Just slice off a few seconds of the duration and he'll be absolutely fine.

Discord is the only thing that needs tweaking right now. Bring it down to a 30% damage boost and it becomes an alternative to Mercys boost. Choose between boosting one person against 6 or 6 people against 1.

please tell me the server closing due to an unexpected error isnt a loss...
Nah you're good. No loss, no win, nothing.
Agreed with this. Tracer and Genji are supposed to fill similar roles, but Genji so much better at just about everything than Tracer is. He has more mobility (Tracer has no vertical mobility, while Genji has the climb, double jump AND can use his dash to go straight up if he wants to), one of the best ults in the game as opposed to a comparably mediocre ult, better survivability thanks to having more health, a deflect which can counteract ultimates and his dash.

But again, I am fine with Genji as a whole, just his ult needs to be changed a bit. Just slice off a few seconds of the duration and he'll be absolutely fine.
The only thing Tracer has going for her over Genji is that she does more damage at her respective range, is easier to land shots with, and can self heal.

wamberz1

Just had to show this POTM. I lost my shit when I capped this point essentially by myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRd_YSLhoz0

Zarya is bae.

Nice! Black hole potgs just feel so right.
95hrIhB.gif

Zarya is indeed bae.

Animator

Or you could secretly be Seagull. Genji's ult time is pretty insane, I think it's 9 seconds and it could stand to be 7 or 8.

And in desperation for Symmetra buffs I made of list of all the changes I want to see:

Half dmg, are you kidding? Glad you don't work at blizzard.

Antiwhippy

I once ulted as winston when I heard our zarya doing her ult.

... and then realised that it's the most useless thing I could have done.

Just pure instinct man.

Anne

What the hell am I reading?

Genji is fine in tourney play, knock a couple seconds off ult duration and/or knock 10%~ off ult charge rate so he stops fucking up solo q.

Speedboost is the most broken ability in the game

Discord orb is also contender for most broken ability

Defenes heroes are mostly ass due to the two factors above and the fact they ar balanced around niche low skill kits

The game is unbalanced in favor of attackers due to the shitty checkpoint map design and the way timers work. The new patch isn't helping things.

Like that's really all there is to the state of the game right now. There's more shit, yeah, but people are losing their minds.

Odrion

Banned
blizzard shouldn't balance the game with esports in mind and people should stop looking at pro compositions as if there's anything relevant there for them.

Veelk

Banned
Jesus ungodly christ.

I had the worst session of this game so far the entire day. A few good matches, and a WHOOOOOOOOOOOLE lot of bad ones. I know I said I had my fill earlier today, but what can I say, I wanted to end it on a good note.

Big fucking mistake. The game constantly matched me up against teams that worked miles better than what mine did. I got steamrolled SO many times. I had teammates who ignored basic rules so many times. Why does the game consistently pair me up against whole parties while my team is full of randoms. I mean, if you know me, I often exaggerate how bad I'm feeling partially for comedic effect. This isn't one of those times. The game was just not fun at all today.

:(

Satch

Banned
Jesus ungodly christ.

I had the worst session of this game so far the entire day. A few good matches, and a WHOOOOOOOOOOOLE lot of bad ones. I know I said I had my fill earlier today, but what can I say, I wanted to end it on a good note.

Big fucking mistake. The game constantly matched me up against teams that worked miles better than what mine did. I got steamrolled SO many times. I had teammates who ignored basic rules so many times. Why does the game consistently pair me up against whole parties while my team is full of randoms. I mean, if you know me, I often exaggerate how bad I'm feeling partially for comedic effect. This isn't one of those times. The game was just not fun at all today.

:(
Its only gonna get worse brah

The more u learn the worse u feel over time

Anne

blizzard shouldn't balance the game with esports in mind and people should stop looking at pro composition as if it's actually relevant towards how they experience the game for themselves

I'm reasonably intoxicated enough right now to just tell you that is flat out wrong and people should stop saying it. The high level gameplay is already there outside of pro and esports shit, anybody above a certain SR is living that shit everyday. The game played that way will eventually makes it way down, it always happens. Yeah there are differences, but it happens.

If Blizzard balanced around low level players we'd probably have to nerf Bastion again and buff Genji and all sorts of other horse shit. The game is balanced with low level MMR by making a character like Bastion honestly just straight shit. Some things are going to have to be adjusted for solo q at high-mid levels, but they are going to need to happen in careful ways that don't fuck everything up at the pro level.

You know what happens when the game is balanced around the mid/low level and not he pros? You get sniper McCree /when he was already being played in tournaments/. You get 200 health demon Zenyatta when every single pro player that touched the PTR said "this is actually bullshit and will affect every game we play."

Every time I've played Overwatch these past few days, I've had one game drop due to an 'unexpected server error.' minutes into the match. It's getting very grating.

Are they having server troubles?

For general tips:

-When in doubt, switch characters. If you're getting destroyed by the opposing team, try another character. If you're not sure who to go for, ask your team what they need help with at the moment. If one of your teammates decides to be a dick, because how dare you not know everything about the game a few days after it came out, kindly remind them that you’re just trying to help, because that’s how you win in Overwatch. (Odds are, your other teammates will have your back on that one.)

-Communication can make all the difference in the world. When you let your teammates know what you're doing, it can turn the tides for outcome of the match. If the other team has you stuck at a chokepoint, suggest a coordinated assault or a specific strategy instead of individually banging your head against an impenetrable defensive wall.

-Go for the annoying ones first and be a team player. If you can identify the biggest threat, don’t assume somebody else is gonna handle it. Switch characters and do your part instead of just hanging back and racking up kills.

-Don't be afraid to lose. Seriously. The spoils of defeat aren't terribly far removed from the spoils of victory. Overwatch is designed to enable those sorts kick-ass moments, so don’t lose hope just because things aren’t going your way.

Thanks a lot! Definitely need to try more characters. I'm level 6 so I only play QP for the time being

My second summer games legendary was the same as my first. Seriously blizzard this fuckery doesn't encourage me to buy loot boxes so I can experience more fuckery.

Satch

Banned
I'm reasonably intoxicated enough right now to just tell you that is flat out wrong and people should stop saying it. The high level gameplay is already there outside of pro and esports shit, anybody above a certain SR is living that shit everyday. The game played that way will eventually makes it way down, it always happens. Yeah there are differences, but it happens.

If Blizzard balanced around low level players we'd probably have to nerf Bastion again and buff Genji and all sorts of other horse shit. The game is balanced with low level MMR by making a character like Bastion honestly just straight shit. Some things are going to have to be adjusted for solo q at high-mid levels, but they are going to need to happen in careful ways that don't fuck everything up at the pro level.

You know what happens when the game is balanced around the mid/low level and not he pros? You get sniper McCree /when he was already being played in tournaments/. You get 200 health demon Zenyatta when every single pro player that touched the PTR said "this is actually bullshit and will affect every game we play."
Drag that zen buff

I HATE IT

Veelk

Banned
Its only gonna get worse brah

The more u learn the worse u feel over time

I'd also like to add that this is one of the WIERDEST game sessions I've ever had.

Bastians. Bastians everywhere. In COMP. And they're effective. Since fucking when? I've been playing for weeks, and saw a Bastian maybe once a day. Now he's in every match.

And suddenly, my D.Va playing went to shit. My Genji is shit.

But when I was "YOU KNOW WHAT, FUCK THIS MATCH, I'M SWITCHING TO WIDOWMAKER OUT OF SPITE" We nearly....won?

What? It's like bizarro world. What I thought was strong and effective before is now weak, and characters like Bastian and Widow clean house.

wut.

Odrion

Banned

McCree needed the buffs and where they ended up with him is great. Zenyatta needed a buff and because of that people have a good roster of healers to choose from and now there's way more people who want to play support. Both good decisions.

Anne

McCree needed the buffs and where they ended up with him is great. Zenyatta needed a buff and because of that now people have a good roster of healers to choose from. Both good choices.

McCree shouldn't have had 30m drop off. Ever. He could have used some adjustments but that was insane and everybody knew it. It was so bad they changed it in an untested emergency patch.

Zenyatta is a must pick for any reasonable team past a certain point and he invalidates a large portion of the cast, most noticeably the other healers.

Good choices Blizzard. Like I get that you don't actually care about game balance outside of perception but boy if you ever get to a point where it matters some of this stuff is gonna fuck you right up.

psyfi

Banned
I've never really played a game that had to be so intentional about character balance before. How long into a game's life does balancing usually happen? What about in Blizzard games?

Speedboost is the most broken ability in the game
It's soooo easy to survive as Lucio thanks to it. It's hard for me to play any other character because I'm so used to effortlessly staying alive, haha. I honestly don't think I use it for much else, though. I'll use it at the beginning of each round to get to the objective faster of course, and sometimes I'll use it to help an ally get to safety or chase a weak opponent, but that's about it. Doesn't feel too amazing beyond personal survivability.

Kamion

Just had to show this POTM. I lost my shit when I capped this point essentially by myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRd_YSLhoz0

Zarya is bae.

Amazing! Sadly I'm never that lucky with Zarya (not saying that was complete luck though). People seem to have learned to focus Zarya when shields are down.

So I can't get in people's faces as much anymore ;0;

It's soooo easy to survive as Lucio thanks to it. It's hard for me to play any other character because I'm so used to effortlessly staying alive, haha. I honestly don't think I use it for much else, though. I'll use it at the beginning of each round to get to the objective faster of course, and sometimes I'll use it to help an ally get to safety or chase a weak opponent, but that's about it. Doesn't feel too amazing beyond personal survivability.

- Speed Boost past a choke point with Reinhart's shield (try it, it is amazing).

- Play Lucio Taxi and run back to the spawn to pick up key players after they died

Those are usually the things I use it for. It has loads of uses though.

Antiwhippy

I've never really played a game that had to be so intentional about character balance before. How long into a game's life does balancing usually happen? What about in Blizzard games?

Now imagine if your whole team is co-ordinated enough to have that same survivability, coupled wiht added mobility to overwhelm the enemy group.

Odrion

Banned
McCree shouldn't have had 30m drop off. Ever. He could have used some adjustments but that was insane and everybody knew it. It was so bad they changed it in an untested emergency patch.

Zenyatta is a must pick for any reasonable team past a certain point and he invalidates a large portion of the cast, most noticeably the other healers.

Good choices Blizzard. Like I get that you don't actually care about game balance outside of perception but boy if you ever get to a point where it matters some of this stuff is gonna fuck you right up.

Zenyatta needed the buff. McCree needed the buff. The 32 meter buff was pretty entertainingly crazy but that didn't mean he shouldn't have had any buffs, and after that week they ended up with him in a very good place.

Also lmao Zenyatta doesn't invalidate the other healers, his heal is still weak as fuck and he's still a slow 200hp hero who has no defensive countermeasure against the back end harassers other than "discord and pray they suck."

Antiwhippy

Yeah I'd say mccree is in a pretty good place right now. It's only discord that is making him a little bit crazy just due to having the ability to one shot with a headshot. But that's because discord.

psyfi

Banned
- Speed Boost past a choke point with Reinhart's shield (try it, it is amazing).

- Play Lucio Taxi and run back to the spawn to pick up key players after they died

Those are usually the things I use it for. It has loads of uses though.
I've done the second plenty of times, but I can't say I've intentionally done the first more than a few times.

Now imagine if your whole team is co-ordinated enough to have that same survivability, coupled wiht added mobility to overwhelm the enemy group.
I should step my game up a bit. I play with friends a lot, but most are lower level than me, and I haven't had the chance to play with a consistently effective team. I wish I could find more people here to play with, but I'm on XB1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom