• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

Honestly the most annoying thing about comp at average ranks is that if you don't play a Pharah killer yourself it's all but guaranteed that she will be free the entire game... like you think "alright we got a Soldier and [any long-range hero] so I don't have to go Soldier again" but despite knowing better you still underestimate how rotten their aim actually is

I always check if the enemy team has someone that can shoot into the air and if not Pharah is coming straight out, and so many teams don't have one or have a poor soldier who doesn't look up.

Finally finished placement matches. Went 8-2 and even won the last game 5v6.

Rank 65, pretty good.

But tbh, Overwatch isn't as much fun as it was at release :(

Gator86

Honestly the most annoying thing about comp at average ranks is that if you don't play a Pharah killer yourself it's all but guaranteed that she will be free the entire game... like you think "alright we got a Soldier and [any long-range hero] so I don't have to go Soldier again" but despite knowing better you still underestimate how rotten their aim actually is

Yup, even at the higher ranks, Pharah goes unchecked way too often. She's a goddamn nuisance the entire game.

jorgejjvr

Was at 54....then went back down to 51 :(

People leaving, and just not being on a team...

I should stop that, it is definitely much better with a gaf gang

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
lol seriously? junkrat feeds her so much charge and it's incredibly easy to intercept firestrike with self shield. you can also save people who get pinned or ulted.

the only way rein is a zarya counter is if you don't break his shield before ulting, and even that doesn't matter if you have a hanzo or mei with ult to combo with yours.

the only real zarya counter is reaper, and he's situational.

Yeah, this. High energy Zarya melts reinhardts and can shield herself so 3 of his hits do no damage. You definitely out-dps him. Junkrat is also awesome for Zarya. See Junkrat spam? Shield up and get a quick 50 energy. Tire incoming and you're close to your buddies? Free 100 energy (unless they're smart and stall for a bit, but then they risk the tire being destroyed).

Obviously this usually the norm, but there are situations in which they wreck you i.e. shields down/low energy.

Also what can be annoying is shielding a Reinhardt charge, but there is no wall behind you nearby, so by the time you get pinned down, the shield disappeared. So rude.

Zemm

People treat healers like a bailout thing.

"We got creamed but I was Lucio/Mercy so I am absolved from blame. It's my teammates who suck!"

Some healers definitely think that just because they heal they should be absolved of any blame or scrutiny but a bad Mercy or Lucio that keep dying is just as bad as any other player who doesn't play well. Actually it's even worse because the healers are way more important to the game.

Onemic

lol seriously? junkrat feeds her so much charge and it's incredibly easy to intercept firestrike with self shield. you can also save people who get pinned or ulted.

the only way rein is a zarya counter is if you don't break his shield before ulting, and even that doesn't matter if you have a hanzo or mei with ult to combo with yours.

Junkrat is a double edged sword if you dont have your shield up. Same as reaper. In fact he's deadlier than reaper because even with your shield you're still done if he can trap you. Also unlike reaper junkrat is able to kill you in more situations that just close range.

Junkrat can also easily bait you into throwing up your shield when he ults. Ive seen plenty just tire and jump over the Zarya player purposely and then detonate after theyve baited the shield.

Rein is a counter because his shield nullifies everything you can do. As long as a rein has his shield up(and it will be in most cases) your ult is completely useless. Firestrike is easy to absorb, but that doesnt really mean much when rein's utility in shutting you down has nothing to do with that ability at all. If you want to talk about Rein offensively then he still shuts Zarya down pretty hard if he gets close up. Unless you have high energy and high health or the rein isnt at full health, a Zarya will always lose a one on one match with rein if hes already close to you.

Tracer is another. She can create distance between herself and Zarya when the shield comes up, and can then close that distance quickly.

It only takes around 2 clips to kill her when aiming for the head-ish region.

zoukka

Junkrat is a double edged sword if you dont have your shield up. Same as reaper. In fact he's deadlier than reaper because even with your shield you're still done if he can trap you. Also unlike reaper junkrat is able to kill you in more situations that just close range.

Junkrat can also easily bait you into throwing up your shield when he ults. Ive seen plenty just tire and jump over the Zarya player purposely and then detonate after theyve baited the shield.

Rein is a counter because his shield nullifies everything you can do. As long as a rein has his shield up(and it will be in most cases) your ult is completely useless. Firestrike is easy to absorb, but that doesnt really mean much when rein's utility in shutting you down has nothing to do with that ability at all. If you want to talk about Rein offensively then he still shuts Zarya down pretty hard if he gets close up. Unless you have high energy and high health or the rein isnt at full health, a Zarya will always lose a one on one match with rein if hes already close to you.

Good analysis. Rein is the absolute most reliable counter pick against Zarya. His charge is also deadly if shield is on cooldown.

Reaper is always a solid choice against all tanks, though zarya can deal with him better than the other tanks. Junkrat is great too, but with the difference that a close range junk is usually vulnerable to offensive heroes.

xaosslug

eh? Any good Junkrat can kill Zarya way before she has a decent charge built up. Just hammer her w/ grenades, use mines to throw her around/separate her from her teammates, bear trap her in place as you hammer her, etc.

aeolist

Banned

saying "x is good against zarya at low energy/shields on cooldown" is true for any dps hero. anyone can outplay anyone else, that doesn't mean their character is better.

the way their abilities interact generally mean zarya counters rein and junkrat harder than they counter her.

aeolist

Banned
eh? Any good Junkrat can kill Zarya way before she has a decent charge built up. Just hammer her w/ grenades, use mines to throw her around/separate her from her teammates, bear trap her in place as you hammer her, etc.

and a good zarya is going to get charge from the junkrat's spam well before he sees her. bear trap isn't really a good ability at higher skill levels since it's pretty obvious and everyone looks for it when there's a junkrat on the enemy team.

again, "you can kill her if she's bad at using her shields" doesn't mean zarya's countered, it means you're playing bad zaryas. i absolutely love playing against both of those characters because it's way easier for me to kill/neutralize them than the other way around.

Widow I think is kinda close to a counter for Zarya, just by virtue of being able to hugely drop her health before she's got an opportunity to shield, but since she can't actually kill her before she can shield and take cover, it's shaky. Other than that, it's about damage types. Applying slow, big hits (Junkrat, Reinhardt, Pharah) is a lot less effective than spammable small hits, just because of the way her shield works. Someone like S76 is a lot better at denying her energy while piling on damage.

Onemic

saying "x is good against zarya at low energy/shields on cooldown" is true for any dps hero. anyone can outplay anyone else, that doesn't mean their character is better.

the way their abilities interact generally mean zarya counters rein and junkrat harder than they counter her.

I specifically mentioned junk and rein because theyre effective against her at all energy levels. one on one against a reinhardt, a high energy full health zarya vs a full health rein is a wash because as Zarya you can still be one shot if he pins you. Since Zaryas mobility options are pretty weak and you'll have to take him down with your primary fire, you're even more susceptible to be pinned by his charge. Reins shield is effective against Zarya no matter what energy level shes at which makes him pretty much the best counter to her. Junkrat can kill you in a variety of situations regardless of your energy level or shield because of his trap and Zaryas low mobility.

I dont consider reaper as much of a counter vs those two because at high energy a reaper is pretty useless against Zarya unless he gets the jump on you.

Client just patched... lemme guess?

"We thought leavers in competitive werent being punished enough. So now when you leave a ranked game,the enemys team all get perma banned."

Gator86

If I'm playing Zarya and you manage to throw a trap down on me, point blank, and kill me after without getting fucking atomized, I will give you a tip of the cap, good sir or madam.

aeolist

Banned
I specifically mentioned junk and rein because theyre effective against her at all energy levels. one on one against a reinhardt, a high energy full health zarya vs a full health rein is a wash because as Zarya you can still be one shot if he pins you. Since Zaryas mobility options are pretty weak and you'll have to take him down with your primary fire, you're even more susceptible to be pinned by his charge. Reins shield is effective against Zarya no matter what energy level shes at which makes him pretty much the best counter to her. Junkrat can kill you in a variety of situations regardless of your energy level or shield because of his trap and Zaryas low mobility.

I dont consider reaper as much of a counter vs those two because at high energy a reaper is pretty useless against Zarya unless he gets the jump on you.

i really can't disagree more with basically everything here. do you play zarya yourself?

xaosslug

and a good zarya is going to get charge from the junkrat's spam well before he sees her. bear trap isn't really a good ability at higher skill levels since it's pretty obvious and everyone looks for it when there's a junkrat on the enemy team.

again, "you can kill her if she's bad at using her shields" doesn't mean zarya's countered, it means you're playing bad zaryas. i absolutely love playing against both of those characters because it's way easier for me to kill/neutralize them than the other way around.

her shield lasts for so short it is mostly only useful for that split second HOLY SHIIII! moment when a tire's coming at you. It is v. easy to kill Zarya w/ Junkrat. Sorry. Done it many times. Maybe, they were bad Zarya's, maybe I'm a good Junkrat... but 1v1 a Junkrat will kill a Zarya at any distance. Once the shield drops, bombs away!

Onemic

If I'm playing Zarya and you manage to throw a trap down on me, point blank, and kill me after without getting fucking atomized, I will give you a tip of the cap, good sir or madam.

In most cases a junkrat wont be within point blank range for you to even use your primary fire on him though. This isnt even mentioning the fact that you are open fodder to the entire enemy team, not just junkrat.

i really can't disagree more with basically everything here. do you play zarya yourself?

Yes, she's my main and I'd say I'm pretty good with her actually.

abundant

Some healers definitely think that just because they heal they should be absolved of any blame or scrutiny but a bad Mercy or Lucio that keep dying is just as bad as any other player who doesn't play well. Actually it's even worse because the healers are way more important to the game.

To be fair, if a Mercy is dying a lot, it could be because her team is too spread out or not protecting her from flankers.

Azzanadra

Alright, so I finally started playing this game and I am enjoying it from what little I have played... but I can definitely understand the "lack of content" complaint. And its not even the number of maps for me, the characters themselves seem very... barebones? Only like 2-4 abilities each? I felt like a CoD character had more options on him with all the guns and builds. Help me understand GAF? Also, any good videos/written pieces for beginners?

xaosslug

again, y'all are making these 'situational' arguments - why would we be point blank? Any good Junkrat knows distance = life. If you are in my trap I'm using that time to put distance between us, or if you stepped in my trap and I was already at a distance... ALOHA! ;)

aeolist

Banned
In most cases a junkrat wont be within point blank range for you to even use your primary fire on him though. This isnt even mentioning the fact that you are open fodder to the entire enemy team, not just junkrat.

Yes, she's my main and I'd say I'm pretty good with her actually.

i really don't want to be a prick about this so all i'll say is i think you can play these matchups better

Gator86

again, y'all are making these 'situational' arguments - why would we be point blank? Any good Junkrat knows distance = friend. If you are in my trap I'm using that time to put distance between us, or if you stepped in my trap and I was already at a distance... ALOHA! ;)

That post literally mentioned a trap, which has a relatively short deployment distance, so that's what I responded to. If I see a Junkrat from distance, I'm just gonna mortar him to death. If we're point blank, chances are I'm at full energy and he's getting roasted. It's not like some dominant match-up for Zarya, but I'm genuinely not afraid of a Junkrat when I'm running her on attack.

zoukka

None of zaryas abilities counter junk or rein lol.

Onemic

i really don't want to be a prick about this so all i'll say is i think you can play these matchups better

Fucking lol man. Please.

So your argument is essentially "because I disagree with you, I'm going to say that you suck instead of actually trying to have a discussion." Try not being an ass next time.

In fact I'd say that I could say the same to you since you actually havent presented any arguments for why these matchups are in fact in Zaryas favour.

aeolist

Banned
Fucking lol man. Please.

So your argument is essentially "because I disagree with you, I'm going to say that you suck instead of actually trying to have a discussion." Try not being an ass next time.

In fact I'd say that I could say the same to you since you actually havent presented any arguments for why these matchups are in fact in Zaryas favour.

i've made my points and don't want to start bringing elitist arguments to bear. if you think i'm wrong try to find opinions from players you think are better than you and see if they agree.

enjoy your games.

xezuru

Seeing literally half the games turn into mass tracer stacking wavemode to stalling out every single fucking overtime is so exc-
Seeing double winston double tracer in all these ESL matches is so exc-
Seeing people act like stack countering is a netgain when it just promotes counter-stacking and regardless just continues Overwatches's terrible Ult Charge snowballing is so exc-

Remember when we thought this game about the skilled-teamplay pinnacle influenced by team composition and not the other way around.

Onemic

i've made my points and don't want to start bringing elitist arguments to bear. if you think i'm wrong try to find opinions from players you think are better than you and see if they agree.

enjoy your games.

Literally all you said was:

- You're wrong Zarya counters these characters because of her dps
- A good player will avoid junkrat traps(because all junkrats suck apparently)
- You dont play Zarya
- You suck

But hey, continue on with your passive aggressive arguments.

Azoor

Alright, so I finally started playing this game and I am enjoying it from what little I have played... but I can definitely understand the "lack of content" complaint. And its not even the number of maps for me, the characters themselves seem very... barebones? Only like 2-4 abilities each? I felt like a CoD character had more options on him with all the guns and builds. Help me understand GAF? Also, any good videos/written pieces for beginners?

The game is a different beast than COD. COD is a game the entirely depends on loadouts and upgrades, while this game is all about countering and knowing when to use your abilities.

Also, this youtube playlist is very helpful for beginners :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIwfsfFo7lE&list=PLZVkseJlphu-g76IDcatw12i0lWLkDjR3

xaosslug

That post literally mentioned a trap, which has a relatively short deployment distance, so that's what I responded to. If I see a Junkrat from distance, I'm just gonna mortar him to death. If we're point blank, chances are I'm at full energy and he's getting roasted. It's not like some dominant match-up for Zarya, but I'm genuinely not afraid of a Junkrat when I'm running her on attack.

but even if we were at point blank range, you likely wouldn't immediately react w/ an attack (I've seen it many times... when peeps get stuck in the trap they forget to shoot/aim - always) and in that split second KBOOM (also, because most good Junkrats pair bear trap + mine, FTW!). ;)

aeolist

Banned
my point is this: you play against zarya by not feeding her charge or overwhelming her with DPS so quickly she dies through her shield.

it is not possible for junkrat to do this the majority of the time because his entire playstyle is based around long-range spamming. his mere existence in a game means he will either be doing nothing or she will constantly be at 50+ charge, and neither is good for him and his team.

~the end~

mstevens

Anyone on ps4 want to group up on ps4 quick play today for xp boost?

Kinda just listening to podcasts and chillin so I'm kinda playing casual and won't voice chat, but figured I'd check if someone wants xp too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom