• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Mercy is more portable than Zenyatta, but unless you have a great synergy going with a Pharah or a Genji, Zenyatta outperforms now due to discord and Transcendence. Mercy's ult is good for a dead team, but Zenyatta's prevents the team from being dead to begin with.

If you're doing heavy flanking from less accessible places as a Genji, a pocket Mercy is better for that situation than Zenyatta.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Mercy is more portable than Zenyatta,

She sure is!

M9mEnNi.jpg

Zekes!

I think I just had my worst quick play match yet

Attack on Route 66, half way through half the team changes to snipers, 2 Hanzos and an Ana. Like what the fuck are you doing? Worst yet is that one of the Hanzos was aiming up in the sky near our spawn just shooting arrows???? Yo!!! Just leave the damn game if you're just gonna fuck around.

I feel like I only post in this thread when I need to bitch about incompetent team mates.

On a more positive note, I REALLY like Roadhog now

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
When my playgroup stops dicking around (about 10% of the time) and we actually use a standard team comp, my Genji literally becomes legit good, since I can actually flank during team fights. I get nearly every POTG since team fights eventually devolve into me swording the supports in the back and moving forward to clean up the rest of the team.

Then we go back to dicking around mode and everyone picks an attack character with maybe 1 healer and my Genji while still good, loses a lot of value. Since he isn't as good when there's no solid team movement against a static wall of defenders.

Squire

Banned
Mercy is probably getting buffed. I mean, they already tried and it was too much.

And that was technically before Zen overtook her position as a mainstay at high levels.

duckroll

Remove Mercy's Guardian Angel cooldown completely. She becomes a brand new character.

Edit: On second thought, they should actually turn it into a resource ability rather than a cooldown one. Make it like Pharah's flight, just like how they changed Dva's matrix to be like Rein's shield.

Soulflarz

Banned
Haven't played much reaper. He's a surprising amount of fun, but I wish there was less try-hardy lines to listen to ;_;

"Try hard" this! https://my.mixtape.moe/xpxbtk.ogg

Mercy is probably getting buffed. I mean, they already tried and it was too much.

And that was technically before Zen overtook her position as a mainstay at high levels.

At this point no one knows. The issue is the lucyatta together and that theres no real way to nerf it in a noninstapick/never pick way at the moment, besides MAYBE making it 30% bonus damage, but that might be too big of a nerf.

I think I just had my worst quick play match yet

Attack on Route 66, half way through half the team changes to snipers, 2 Hanzos and an Ana. Like what the fuck are you doing? Worst yet is that one of the Hanzos was aiming up in the sky near our spawn just shooting arrows???? Yo!!! Just leave the damn game if you're just gonna fuck around.

I feel like I only post in this thread when I need to bitch about incompetent team mates.

On a more positive note, I REALLY like Roadhog now

Why would s/he when they get XP penalties for leaving and loot boxes are only opened via XP earned?

If loot boxes were earned (or XP was only earned) based on wins on the other hand...

xaosslug

Remove Mercy's Guardian Angel cooldown completely. She becomes a brand new character.

Edit: On second thought, they should actually turn it into a resource ability rather than a cooldown one. Make it like Pharah's flight, just like how they changed Dva's matrix to be like Rein's shield.

don't I fucking WISH. She would literally be a monster if her shield had a lifeline instead of a gauge. T__T

Odrion

Banned

At this point no one knows. The issue is the lucyatta together and that theres no real way to nerf it in a noninstapick/never pick way at the moment, besides MAYBE making it 30% bonus damage, but that might be too big
of a nerf.
Make discord a 50% buff for Zenyatta and 30% for everybody else.

Also Mercy is boring as fuck to play as and against so I hope they keep her garbage tier forever.

Walpurgis

Banned
I don't think the Overwatch Museum being in Numbani was ever confirmed. There is a Doomfist exhibit in Numbani now which is the payload being transported, but it could just have been transferred from where ever the Overwatch Museum was.

I doubt Blizzard wants to confirm they made an announcement trailer set in Africa starring two white kids, two white women, a gorilla, and a man in black going diediedie.
The fact that there are zero African characters that aren't from Egypt would make things even more awkward.

duckroll

don't I fucking WISH. She would literally be a monster if her shield had a lifeline instead of a gauge. T__T

Cmon, you know what I mean. Making something a toggle rather than a cooldown changes how the skill works substantially. If Guardian Angel is like Pharah's float booster, it could change the way Mercy is played quite a lot.

Squire

Banned

Oh man, this is a great idea!

At this point no one knows. The issue is the lucyatta together and that theres no real way to nerf it in a noninstapick/never pick way at the moment, besides MAYBE making it 30% bonus damage, but that might be too big of a nerf.

Right. I mean, originally they tried to buff Mercy's damage boost in response to people relying on her blaster. That didn't make it off the PTR and we're all still using the blaster, so I was already assuming they'd go back to the lab and try to figure that out. Now I'm wondering if they'll want to adress her fall in popularity, too, not that the situation is dire or anything.

Soulflarz

Banned
Right. I mean, originally they tried to buff Mercy's damage boost in response to people relying on her blaster. That didn't make it off the PTR and we're all still using the blaster, so I was already assuming they'd go back to the lab and try to figure that out. Now I'm wondering if they'll want to adress her fall in popularity, too, not that the situation is dire or anything.

The situation is actually fairly dire outside of matches where you can use literally anyone.

Defuser

I find it funny Blizzard revert Mercy's 50% dmg boost back to 30% and can only be applied to 1 person doing the damage citing it's too overpowered while they let Zenyatta's discord orbs does 50% more damage and every teammate can attack the discorded enemy scott free.

It's either they buff mercy's dmg boost back to 50% or nerf Zenyatta's discord orb dmg to maybe around 30%.

duckroll

I think trying to buff/debuff Mercy around the damage boost is a fool's errand. Zenyatta has the advantage because his discord does not require him to be anywhere near the target OR the team mates who will take advantage of that. And he can heal and discord at the same time, while being nowhere near any of these people, just as long as he has line of sight. There's just no contest.

Which is why I think approaching a Mercy buff from the perspective of utility makes more sense. What can she do that Zenyatta cannot? Make her even better at that, so in the case where you want to use that instead, she's a more obvious pick for it.

Soulflarz

Banned
Agreeing with Duckroll again relatively!

The current games picks are because of their utilities, not just their 'numbers' or else this would be a numbers game solely, which it isn't. As such, unless you're unsnipering McCree, changing values around doesn't fix the issues at hand.

zoukka

People are quick to forget why a certain hero was played after nerfs/buffs. Mercy's single target heal should be big, but that is irrelevant when you have Lucio/Zen heals stacked. Simply put that is enough healing for any composition. Her revive defined all team fights before, now you have two big AoE heal/shield effects with Lucio/Zen that apparently are just way better when combined with the other utility those heroes bring against Mercy (mainly more dps).

Squire

Banned
Yeah, I agree. I thought the damage boost thing was a strange for them to have to begin with, honestly. She's a healer - so what if the alt fire is underplayed?

Their best bet is to lean into her mobility. Best escape options in the game.

Mush

FINALLY managed to get the Power Overwhelming trophy after coming oh so close on a number of occasions.

Mowing down fools at full strength is one of the most satisfying things in this game.

zoukka

Best escape options in the game.

Nah. She doesn't have any independent survival abilities. Any time there's no allies in good spots, the ain't going nowhere and the best hope is just panic dashing towards someone (which might get you killed).

Lucio can scoot the fuck out when needed and Zen can 1v1 you for days.

duckroll

Mercy doesn't have great escape options, because it's dependent on teammates. What Mercy does have is good mobility to follow characters who have superb mobility. Playing the Pharmercy brawl opened my eyes to what Mercy could become if they buffed Guardian Angel significantly. A Mercy who can follow Pharah and Genji even better than she can now, while damage boosting them all the time while staying out of reach of enemies as long as her target is able to do so, provides an alternative that makes her a better situational pick than she is now.

The days of Mercy being the staple healer are gone for good, and I don't see them coming back.

Defuser

I'll do anything for Mercy Halloween skin. That cleavage is too tempting.

Anyway, the only thing Mercy got for her against Zenyatta is faster healing and mobiltiy. But if there is no teammates around her mobility to escape is nigh useless, mobilty to fly towards teammates to heal/dmg boost? Zenyatta can do it at a safe distance via line of sight.

Reviving a entire team? I still feel Zen's ult is better choice against ult wasting, prevention is better than cure rez.

Mercy can only do one thing at a time and have to be nearby while Zenyatta can heal, dmg boost and fight all at the same time while being at a safe distance.

Since Blizzard have no intention of retooling heroes skillset the only way is to buff mercy or nerf Zenyatta.

you didn't answer my question for best pick. and no, McCree is not that great especially on consoles. he hardly dominates Comp matches I've played. killed him more than he killed me cuz i always know he will try to flank and most of my groups know when to hide when he does his Ult. even when we got MMed with Top 500 group, I was destroying their McCree with my Junkrat constantly. but if you think Junkrat is weak then so be it. he's been working well for me.

Zarya is legit amazing. I would say the best hero.

Late, but McCree can be pretty deadly on console. There's a sick McCree main in the group I've been playing with lately.

Bastion is the cutest thing to ever be conceived in a video game. 100%.
fight me, you won't :p

Bastion is already really adorable man. That little wave when he says hello in turret form makes me want to hug him.

I love Bastion. He's a cute, sad robot that just needs friends ;~;

That particularly long shriek it lets out when it dies destroys me every time.

When my tablet runs out of battery, I think of Bastion ;_;

Poor Bastion, guy just wants to be one with nature ):

Yes, Bastion is so cute. I always feel so sad when I play Zarya and someone picks Bastion, and Zarya goes "I destroyed more of you during the war than I could count" and Bastion does a sad beep. ;-;

Though I'm not sure Bastion's adorableness can beat the robots on the training range. I just can't bring myself to use it because they're so cute.

Squire

Banned
I fully expect a swing in the meta that puts Mercy back on top before the holidays.

You guys are right about her mobility though. I didn't consider its dependent.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
50% dmg buff mercy is actually better than what zen has now just due to the pharmercy combo.

How do you like 120 splash damage?

It was true hell on PTR.

Mercy no longer being the de facto healer is a good thing, but I do admit I never see her get picked any more these days. That's a problem that may need tweaks to the heroes. If I were in charge of changing Mercy, I'd make it so that when she gets hit when she is boosting damage, she saps the health of the person her beam is connected to. She can top her parasitic host back off by switching back to her heal beam, making her vulnerable again.

This would increase her survivability beyond the other supports' if she sticks with high HP heroes, give her reason to buff damage more regularly, and it would reinforce her existing mechanics. It would also complicate the normal "shoot the medic first" mentality. If direct HP is too much, maybe it can only apply to shields. That could limit the amount of exploits, but it would also limit her team-up options.

Soulflarz

Banned
Mercy no longer being the de facto healer is a good thing, but I do admit I never see her get picked any more these days. That's a problem that may need tweaks to the heroes. If I were in charge of changing Mercy, I'd make it so that when she gets hit when she is boosting damage, she saps the health of the person her beam is connected to. She can top her parasitic host back off by switching back to her heal beam, making her vulnerable again.

This would increase her survivability beyond the other supports' if she sticks with high HP heroes, give her reason to buff damage more regularly, and it would reinforce her existing mechanics. It would also complicate the normal "shoot the medic first" mentality.

This would break her on tanks though, since a roadhog+mercy could ultfeed in a brand new ungodly sense that would make them borderline impossible to kill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom