• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus randoms are going to make rage 3/3 lost. 1st game Volskaya we take the first 2 points so should have an easy win but no my team mates go with this set up and decide to attack there spawn

Cm3RPy3W8AAl2Jy.jpg

Get rolled over then they proceed to pick something equally moronic for attack coin flip and we lose

Hollywood we hold them off the point so only need to take it to win, get rekt due to shit picks

And the controller breaker 2-0 on Lijang and they go full retard and we lose 3-2, I'm not saying i'm the greatest player but i'm literally doing this every game and am going down and down

Cm3ROcyW8AEGIrd.jpg

This weekend I need to find two other players who got shafted into the 40's and try to grind out of it

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Heh, reminds me of the KotH I played in Quick Play last night. I was already tanking, and the rest of the team picked all Offense and Defense characters. No healer at all. I popped the "Need Healing" emote a couple of times and then shrugged. "Whatever, let them learn the hard way."

And we won, somehow. That other team must have been pretty bad, because they even had heals when we didn't, and we still won 2-0.

So, just a curiosity question for folks like me who suffer through solo queue: you're on a team that hasn't picked any tanks or support, and you can't convince any of them to switch. Which do you pick? I actually waffled on whether or not to switch from Zarya to Lucio before sticking with tanking, figuring having somebody to absorb a lot of the enemy fire would be a better trade.
If there's no other tank I go Lucio and try to stay by the objective to stop the other team from steamrolling us. If theres another tank I go mercy and focus primarily on keeping the tank up.

Sou Da

Welp, just saw some fanart where D.Va NTRs a bag of doritos by having sex with Chester Cheeta.

How's your overwatch going, GAF?

Ok I'm thinking of buying this .. But afraid I'd be so far behind the curve that I would just suck to bad for me to have fun. I am usually decent to above average in most fps, but knowing this has Moba elements (which I've never played) kinda scares me as I don't wanna be that guy always making the team lose

Any people on ps4 or Xbox one either way, willing to help a newb :(

The beauty of OW is since all unlocks are merely cosmetic you can't really fall behind. You just need to learn the characters and you'll be good to go.

Jayhawk

If there's no other tank I go Lucio and try to stay by the objective to stop the other team from steamrolling us. If theres another tank I go mercy and focus primarily on keeping the tank up.

When you going to join our PC static called the 'league of lalafells'? We need more lalafells since xtech and sosul are the only ones.

Got my first hater message on PSN yesterday. Well, technically my second, the first one was how much i sucked (random teammate).

Kept it classy with GG.

I don't remember what I did to him specifically, it was just another day at the office with Pharah. He was on a team of 6 (we were a team of 5), but he was the only one who sent a message and specifically to just me.

Zemm

Wow, so ESL decided to go back to one hero limit, basically siding with the players / viewers against Blizzard ?

http://www.over.gg/924/hl1-and-stopwatch-return-in-esl

Those no hero limit tournaments must have been a trainwreck lol...

Thank God.

Not really.

They were a mess. The players didn't like them, the commentators didn't like them and the viewers didn't like them. The D'Va stack on Hanamura defence is the stupidest thing I've seen in a competitive FPS game.

LQX

Jesus randoms are going to make rage 3/3 lost. 1st game Volskaya we take the first 2 points so should have an easy win but no my team mates go with this set up and decide to attack there spawn

Cm3RPy3W8AAl2Jy.jpg

Get rolled over then they proceed to pick something equally moronic for attack coin flip and we lose

What's wrong with that team setup? Seems ok to win a match-up.

BadRNG

So can confirm they still haven't fixed the damn leaver EXP nonsense. This is getting ridiculous.

Poor offense, no real frontline tank to block pushes. Most standard offense setups should roll over that. Hell a single Roadhog would probably feast, literally no tank killer and he counters Winston.

eek5

Junkrat and Mei together are only going to be able to delay. Genji is SR39. Doubt hes good but he'll be fucking around by himself getting himself killed on their spawn. Once the delay fails the team will push in an Sym will get put into a really bad situation; probably wipe before she can get her teleporter up.

Front line is basically JR Mei Lucio.

Winston can't really tank damage. His bubble is only 600 hp and he can't flank the enemy back line on that map very well because the spawn is so close. He can kind of disrupt if they get on the point but by then it's 3v6 or 4v6. Enemy team comes in, kills everyone, has all their ults and pushes B. If genji isn't dead he isn't doing shit for the B defense. 2 min attacker win ggez

A pharah, roadhog, soldier, .. hell almost any standard comp would just roll that lineup pretty bad.

Are there predetermined standard comps for certain modes/maps? I play infrequently enough that I don't really have a good sense of how to build an effective team composition. I mean obviously you'll want to fine tune it as the game goes on based on the enemy team, but surely there's a certain combination of heroes that everyone agrees would be good for certain maps at least starting off.

Like I understand the tank/healer pros/cons in terms of KOTH vs. payload, but since I rarely play dps heroes I feel like I have no knowledge/opinions to offer teammates who recognize we need to switch it up on the other heroes.

Vol5

It's a terrible setup for defense. Any half decent attacking team will walk through that in seconds.

Winston as an only tank is a terrible pick on defense.

I dunno man. I think it depends on the map. I rock with Winston on Hanamura B a lot of the time and he's good breaking up play, esp when his ult kicks in. Maybe Volskaya B is a little too confined for him though.

Son Of D

Tried Bastion today to counter a triple Zarya team. Just melted their shields. Eventually I noticed they changed to Pharahs and a Reinhardt. Thankfully I wasn't stupid and kept moving about and going in and out of interiors to avoid Pharah rockets.

My team noticed this and I actually got a PSN message saying I was a very rare occurence of a Bastion who wouldn't stick to one spot and would frequently move. Was encouraging to be honest, despite the fact I barely play Bastion as it is.

Belfast

I don't know, maybe Blizzard's original concept with hero stacking was to create gameplay situations and challenges that you would never encounter in other, similar games. In reality, it just seems to be a way for people to troll, exploit a particular mechanic, or a losing/fed-up team to score an easy win.

Yes, once in awhile, it is simple to beat these comps, but more and more, I find myself quitting out of quick play games when I see it, because I'm not having any fun when it happens. And it's even more of a disaster in competitive.

Blizzard needs to walk this back now.

Two of the same hero max, and I'd be perfectly fine with enforcing totally unique heroes, too.

My team noticed this and I actually got a PSN message saying I was a very rare occurence of a Bastion who wouldn't stick to one spot and would frequently move. Was encouraging to be honest, despite the fact I barely play Bastion as it is.

I almost held a Volskaya point B singlehandedly as Torbjorn, my like third time playing him. just gotta keep them guessing where the turret is. Don't put it up front for everyone to see like an idiot lol.

Bastion can be great but you need time to be set up first. Switching to him when it's overtime on Point B doesn't help much as you just get focused.

Anyways, after my abysmal loss streak to put me at 41, I'm back to 45. I was 46 for all of one game, but then 3 people on my team left after we capped point A on Volskaya with almost 6 minutes to take point B. That was frustrating.

Then we shutout a team on Nepal KotH and I am missing like a hair's worth of MMR to hit 46 now.

I don't know, maybe Blizzard's original concept with hero stacking was to create gameplay situations and challenges that you would never encounter in other, similar games. In reality, it just seems to be a way for people to troll, exploit a particular mechanic, or a losing/fed-up team to score an easy win.

Yes, once in awhile, it is simple to beat these comps, but more and more, I find myself quitting out of quick play games when I see it, because I'm not having any fun when it happens. And it's even more of a disaster in competitive.

Blizzard needs to walk this back now.

Two of the same hero max, and I'd be perfectly fine with enforcing totally unique heroes, too.
There's a reason they don't exist in other games besides silly modes. Does it breed creative stuff? Naturally. That doesn't mean that unhinged creativity in a competitive game is a good thing.

psyfi

Banned
Anyone else in the 55-65 range on XB1 competitive? I'd love to get more people to play with. I usually go Lucio, with some Tracer, Reinhardt, Soldier, and Genji mixed in. GT = psyfi.

Edit : I asked the other day but never got an answer: is Overbuff.com reflecting accurate stats now?

Animator

I dunno man. I think it depends on the map. I rock with Winston on Hanamura B a lot of the time and he's good breaking up play, esp when his ult kicks in. Maybe Volskaya B is a little too confined for him though.

Yea but look at the rest of the team, a single good soldier can take out the Mei, Junkrat, Symmetra in no time and they have no tank that can take punishment to hide behind. Winston will need to jump into the enemy team to do dps or they can mow him down from a distance with ease since lucio can't outheal the dps and once he is down the rest will go down in no time.

Hyun Sai

I don't know, maybe Blizzard's original concept with hero stacking was to create gameplay situations and challenges that you would never encounter in other, similar games.

I also suspect this is one of those situations when one of the higher up got an "awesome" idea and refuses to change it when proven wrong because Ego.

psyfi

Banned
Yea but look at the rest of the team, a single good soldier can take out the Mei, Junkrat, Symmetra in no time and they have no tank that can take punishment to hide behind. Winston will need to jump into the enemy team to do dps or they can mow him down from a distance with ease since lucio can't outheal the dps and once he is down the rest will go down in no time.
Winston isn't about DPS, though. He's about disrupting and distracting, making an opening for the rest of the team.

BadRNG

Winston isn't about DPS, though. He's about disrupting and distracting, making an opening for the rest of the team.
That's the point though, that line up posted doesn't really have anything to exploit said opening. Winston going to get shredded and then the rest of the team will follow.

eek5

Theres no room for him to do that on point A of volskaya though. He'll pretty much be jumping into their spawn to die. While hes busy disrupting nothing is doing shit with the "space" he creates. Everyone else will just rush in and murder that team. They have nothing that can reliably kill a pharah, soldier, etc.

psyfi

Banned
That's the point though, that line up posted doesn't really have anything to exploit said opening. Winston going to get shredded and then the rest of the team will follow.
Oh, I didn't realize we're talking about play defense. That's questionable for sure. It'd have to be a damn good gorilla to make that work.

What would be the best solution to the hero stacking issue?

Cap at 2? Would that be enough? 3 definitely wouldn't be enough.

Capping it at 1 hero per would be an absolute disaster of people throwing fits because someone quick-picked their Genji. Look at DOTA and that "mid or I feed" mentality.

Capping it at 1 hero per would be an absolute disaster of people throwing fits because someone quick-picked their Genji. Look at DOTA and that "mid or I feed" mentality.
Cap at 1 and let the babies get banned.

LiK

2 max. They do this for Weekly Brawls and nothing in that mode actually matters

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My main problem with hero stacking is that it's not actually creative. The majority of hero stacking are brute force strategies that don't even work most of the time outside of 2-2-2.

The only hero stacking I was impressed with in ESL was the LG Bastion lineup which was something like, 2 Zaryas, Bastion, Mercy and Reinhardt, and that was more about the Bastion than the Zaryas.

If players are unable to exercise creativity anyway, then I'd rather have more hero variety than seeing stacks. With hero limits, if they ever extend the lineups to 8-9 per role, then we'll still get to see more lineups than with hero stacking.

Won

I personally do think that "stacking" and some other design decisiosn are simply rooted in a "well, that's how TF2 does it, so, umm, let's just do that!" mindset, without really thinking about Overwatch's own quirks.

ayartalha

Neo Member
Since I've been playing with a full party recently, my competitive experience has been improved. We started to win more than we lose. But still, sudden death scenario is definitely not fair IMO.

Here is one of my most satisfying moments, when I was playing as Zarya, I think I just saved my team a round. I couldn't help but upload it to youtube :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-OTRAP0OvU

Is playing with KBM common on consoles? I think if I bought a ps4/xb1 I would be too tempted to use KBM and it kinda seems like it's cheating when you're playing against controller users.

maouvin

2 on comp, no cap on quick play. People must have an option to go cray-cray.

Prelude.

Had a match where someone on the other team left and I still got about half a level when we won, so I guess they fixed it now?

Istaerion

Is playing with KBM common on consoles? I think if I bought a ps4/xb1 I would be too tempted to use KBM and it kinda seems like it's cheating when you're playing against controller users.

It's not common since you have to buy a fairly costly ($149.99+) third-party accessory to even enable the ability to use a keyboard and mouse in games. It's also not 1:1 in reproduction and you might see some tracking issues depending on the game, but it's definitely an advantage over controller users.

All in all, it's basically cheating since no console game (excluding MMOs like FFXIV) is developed with the possibility of KBM in mind. It's in no way officially supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom