• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not on attack if there's not even a single tank to push that payload.

Well yeah, it's predicated on the team composition too. :p

Still, rein + 2 soldiers (1 for direct assault with rein, the other flanking probably) ain't too bad for payload. He's just.... really generally good. I can't actually think of direct hard counters for him.

matmanx1

Eh, while not "bad" per se, there are definitely not good Mercys. The ones that lock into healbot mode on a full health Reinhardt and almost never switch, as if she worked like a TF2 medic. Or the ones that never damage boost the whole round. Or even the ones that always sit in the back as easy pickings, instead of positioning themselves in a way that their team can help defend them without halting their push.

They escape being "bad" just by virtue of the character's skill set.

For sure. And in my game where I had someone raging at me last night to "find the noose and just drop" I was definitely not having my best game in terms of positioning and situational awareness. On Dorado, we went from pushing the payload with almost zero opposition up to the final checkpoint to full on getting slaughtered mode as we went in the building. I wasn't asleep at the wheel but the situation changed so quickly that I didn't react to it as well as I should have and then having the defenders spawn outside and have to run inside the building meant that there were frequently walls between me and the tanks who needed healing. Stuff fell apart quickly and people got mad.

I try but please understand that sometimes it's really hard. When I play Mercy I understand that too. I think the best times I've seen Mercy protection work out, is not when a team actively protects Mercy in particular, but rather a team coordinates such that Mercy is able to protect herself. If there's a Pharah on the team, and the firefight gets heavy, being available to get into the air within range so the Mercy can Guardian Angel the fuck out of the zone can be a great help.

Funnily enough, the guy raging at me was playing Pharah and I damage buffed him and helped him get kills for part of the match while we were steamrolling. But then suddenly I got called out at the end for my sub-par healing. /shrug

I'm not a pro gamer and I may very well be below average in terms of skill at playing Overwatch but I do have the desire to improve and to play the best that I can play. So that's what I am going to keep doing.

Prelude.

Well yeah, it's predicated on the team composition too. :p

Still, rein + 2 soldiers (1 for direct assault with rein, the other flanking probably) ain't too bad for payload.
That's the problem. "Hey, we have a Zarya, she's a tank, I can drop Rein and take Soldier".

Down to 38, its so fucking annoying as I'm having no luck with teammates. I tried making an alt, to grind up to 25 but gave up after half a game :d

Wait... the only way to make an alt account is buy another copy of the game though.

It's only the 1st season guys, just ignore the results and hope Season 2 goes better.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's the problem. "Hey, we have a Zarya, she's a tank, I can drop Rein and take Soldier".

Mmm yeah, if I see a zarya I always make sure there's a second tank. Or really only go zarya if there's another tank with me. (she pairs really well with reaper too though because he's always in the thick of things plus a longer surviving reaper = more dead people)

Ramirez

This, for sure.

There are too many health packs in key locations to ever need to spam for heals.

I'm always appreciative of heals but I don't expect them. And I want my Mercy damage buffing as much as possible. She can make a S76 into a monster if they know how to aim at least decently.

Yea, I rarely ever get damage boost from the Mercy's I play with. :(

I do try to help out mercy most times, but sometimes you can't kill a reaper fast enough when he's on her ass.

Love me a pharmercy combo though.

Exactly. That's why I think a Mercy that sits in the back of the pack a few paces away is not a great Mercy. Help me help you.

Some flankers are too good at their role and if we need one person devoted to stopping that Mercy from being harassed just so we can have a healer, I'd rather have a Lucio and not be down 2 people that can push.

Double soldier ain't too bad. Actually really freaking good if you have 2 really good soldiers.

I think he's best when in pairs and one of the better 2x heroes. You don't even need to be "really good" either.

I'm what we talk about when we talk about shit tier.

LiK

Soldier is like an extra healer on the front lines. He seems underrated to me. Altho I need to readjust my sensitivity for him. I can't seem to aim well on controller with him. I bet he's super easy to use with mouse.

We had someone playing S76 on the other team on attack in a Gibraltar payload match complaining about tickrate.

It was funny because I was playing Pharah on defense so I expected him to mess with me but he was free.

It was even more funny because he claimed the tickrate was 38 and CS's tickrate was 128, and both games weren't good enough.

The #oversalt continues.

Ramirez

I'll probably be on throughout the day.
If I catch you on, I'll be your MercyBot. (For as long as I can handle it without going stir crazy.)

Bahaha, I would never ask someone to be my Mercy bot, I know that isn't fun to do game after game for most people.

A Mercy is typically supposed to be hiding while a team fight goes on and wait for the res. What exactly do you TheLetDown want the Mercy to do? If she pokes out she'll probably get focused down, if shes with the team there's a chance in all the confusion she'll get picked off.

Also I'm scoffing at the idea of a Mercy only damage boosting/healing, especially if it's a 2v1. Only in certain situations with certain characters and maths show this where Mercy damage boosting helps out the DPS. Most of time it's flat out better to whip out the pistol and assist the DPS/Whoever in getting the kill.

Satch

Banned
I question people accusing others of being a bad Mercy. Unless that Mercy is always running into danger or focusing on her pistol instead of healing, 9 times out of 10 that bad Mercy is always dying because her team is either too spread out or not protecting her.

Now granted, if you do run into situations like that, then it'd be best to switch to Lucio or Zenyatta.
?

u can question me all you want but most mercy players are shit im sorry
i think in my last like ten games i have had one or two ownage Mercy players

theyre just like support players in dota 2. theyre playing support so of course theyre absolved of all faults if the game goes south because they made the sacrifice of playing poor helpless support when nobody else would :((((( despite doing so much shit wrong

if mercy gets attacked by a reinhardt and i fly into the air so she can glide to me and she doesnt even have the awareness to look up then that aint my fault. if we have an allied reinhardt and mercy sits with her beam up his ass instead of tending to others then shes bad. if she has rez and gets caught in the enemy black hole because shes sitting next to our tank instead of just hiding so she can mass rez us after a wipe, then shes shit!

U can get reinhardt to half health and move to healing other people on ur team and then go back to healing reinhardt to full. a reinhardt with half health is better off than like 90% of other heroes would be at half health.

most mercy mains play like 1000000 hours of mercy and have no idea how hard it is to babysit them because they dont play anything else. u ask them to switch to a dps so u can play lucio instead and theyre like "i can only play mercy" like at least learn the other supports then jesus

this is why her winrate is so fucking low. cuz people are SHIT

A Mercy is typically supposed to be hiding while a team fight goes on and wait for the res. What exactly do you TheLetDown want the Mercy to do? If she pokes out she'll probably get focused down, if shes with the team there's a chance in all the confusion she'll get picked off.

Also I'm scoffing at the idea of a Mercy only damage boosting/healing, especially if it's a 2v1. Only in certain situations with certain characters and maths show this where Mercy damage boosting helps out the DPS. Most of time it's flat out better to whip out the pistol and assist the DPS/Whoever in getting the kill.

The Mercys that have impressed me are the ones that heal around corners, behind obstacles, dancing around in and out of the danger zone. Sitting in the back as Reaper bait and then getting pissed at your team is not useful. I'd argue that it's more harm to your team then good.

And I'm all for a Mercy using her pistol. That thing is bad ass. But if you're pushing with a team, I don't want her topping off the guy who took 30 damage when she could be buffing someone to burn down a shield, for example.

And I'm all for a Mercy using her pistol. That thing is bad ass. But if you're pushing with a team, I don't want her topping off the guy who took 30 damage when she could be buffing someone to burn down a shield, for example.

Mercy requires a ton of situational awareness.

Also those topping off people are most likely trying to build charge.

To anyone complaining about bad Mercy players, try playing her yourself to see how much of a challenge it can be.

If your team is spread out you can fly to them, but if they're all grouped up on defense and half the other team is targeting you, you're kind of boned as Mercy.

Bahaha, I would never ask someone to be my Mercy bot, I know that isn't fun to do game after game for most people.

I'm down for, for a little while. I want to get more playtime in with her.

I have this weird obsession right now with trying to be a rounded player, in terms of spreading my time around.

Please? It does not seem that the OP of this thread contains the information on how to join.

Quote the OP and look for the hidden spreadsheet link.

Satch

Banned
For the record i love playing Pharah and a good Mercy always makes me feel great and i am very attentitive to their needs (Probably more than most tbh!!) I have a few mercy mains on my friends list that i met in pubs and they are A+

Thats why SHIT mercys make me so mad. it doesnt have to be this way

Mercy requires a ton of situational awareness.

Also those topping off people are most likely trying to build charge.

To anyone complaining about bad Mercy players, try playing her yourself to see how much of a challenge it can be.

If your team is spread out you can fly to them, but if they're all grouped up on defense and half the other team is targeting you, you're kind of boned as Mercy.

I hear you. I don't mean to sound like I'm shitting on Mercys. She is definitely a character with a ton more depth than what it appears.

But on the same note, I don't agree with the concept that having her around is always better than not. There are ways to play her, ways that I've seen a lot of lately, where she's more harm than good. People get too comfortable with her around and make bad decisions or get passive and slow with a push or the constant Reaper bait I mentioned above.

J Range

Its totally deflating when you have a great game and go off for 80 kills, to have the other team leave and i get no level up.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Cm4myuWWcAA-6q5.jpg:large

Zemm

8 hours playing Mercy and this clown still doesn't switch to the damage beam and sits on a Reinhardt with his shield up and at full health. Seriously, just because you play a healer doesn't mean you get to be shit at it, well it does, but don't say shit when the team can't capture the first point.

edit: haha just seen this page, yeah I mostly agree with Satch. 90% of Mercy players would be better off switching to Lucio.

Codeblew

The only problem with Stopwatch Rules is that it favors certain comps over others. That's probably the main reason Blizzard refuses to implement them.

Which makes zero sense because it is a race both ways. The time bank way is still a race because you are trying to get as many capture points as possible in a given amount of time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Blizz still hasn't said anything about Mercy's ult charge rate, huh? Like it seems as bad as McCree's flashbang-FAH combo was to me. If the enemy team has a Roadhog, you basically have a nonstop rez ready.

abundant

?

u can question me all you want but most mercy players are shit im sorry
i think in my last like ten games i have had one or two ownage Mercy players

theyre just like support players in dota 2. theyre playing support so of course theyre absolved of all faults if the game goes south because they made the sacrifice of playing poor helpless support when nobody else would :((((( despite doing so much shit wrong

if mercy gets attacked by a reinhardt and i fly into the air so she can glide to me and she doesnt even have the awareness to look up then that aint my fault. if we have an allied reinhardt and mercy sits with her beam up his ass instead of tending to others then shes bad. if she has rez and gets caught in the enemy black hole because shes sitting next to our tank instead of just hiding so she can mass rez us after a wipe, then shes shit!

U can get reinhardt to half health and move to healing other people on ur team and then go back to healing reinhardt to full. a reinhardt with half health is better off than like 90% of other heroes would be at half health.

most mercy mains play like 1000000 hours of mercy and have no idea how hard it is to babysit them because they dont play anything else. u ask them to switch to a dps so u can play lucio instead and theyre like "i can only play mercy" like at least learn the other supports then jesus

this is why her winrate is so fucking low. cuz people are SHIT

Not really addressing you, more so the people that blame Mercy all the time. I've been on the receiving end of this far too many times and it was mostly because they're too spread out, trickling in instead of grouping up, or just bad players who cannot kill anything, even when damage boosted.

Blizz still hasn't said anything about Mercy's ult charge rate, huh? Like it seems as bad as McCree's flashbang-FAH combo was to me. If the enemy team has a Roadhog, you basically have a nonstop rez ready.
What the? Mercy's charge rate is fine. That's why the flankers' number one job is to hunt down the Mercy.

Apathy

we need to have a serious discussion with blizzard regarding map rotation.

Last night from 9pm to 4am, a few friends were doing back to back matches in quick play just for fun, and in all that time, we never saw King's Row, Nepal, Hollywood, Dorado or Gibraltar.

That is unacceptable. 5 maps out of 12 we did not see in 7 hours. That is not right. Oh and btw, we only played on Anubis, 66 and Numbani once. So really we kept seeing Hanamura, Volskaya, Illios and Lijang. Now I love KotH maps, but going back and forth between hanamura and volskaya was a pain.

Pooya

If your Mercy has to trouble reaching you, your team probably has godawful positioning, it's the role you play and see how dumb everyone is. Like the soldiers that don't take the high ground, soldier is a LOT better on a elevated platform but most of course don't have the brain for that. If your team has bad positioning, you can't zap around, you die. You need people covering the flanks, you need some on main, mostly importantly you need some on high ground that are intelligent enough and get close to the edge.

Of course everyone only knows how to spam need healing and you have to get to them somehow, that's your problem they think, it's better to stay alive than to heal some braindead dps player that doesn't know how to position. playing mercy in pubs is suffering.

-----------

QP is really ruined, they need to come up with an unranked mode where the same ranked mode rules apply, that should be interesting, a mode without stress people can practice proper matches not gimmicks all the time and keep QP for casual whatever fun games. That includes leaver penalty, the whole package when it's fixed.

Zemm

And a 194 hour mercy who can't/won't play any other class, had to get another guy to play Lucio on KoTH, ressing one player in a group of 5 enemies. Seriously how? How after 194 hours are you not:

Bored of that class
Don't know when to use a res
Can't play Lucio on KotH

images

Like I don't even want to pick on people who play Mercy but two in two games that are literally a waste of a slot, would rather have a Bastion.

Gator86

Mid 60s ranked and people are trying to battle double Pharahs and a Mercy with Reapers and Mei?

200w.gif

Is there any rank where people aren't just horrifically stupid? Is there a secret game mode I'm unfamiliar with?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is competitive still broken on consoles? I just won 2 matches where the losing team ended up rage quitting and my ranking barely moved up. Thought they said they fixed this on all platforms.

ohkay

Mercy is definitely harder to play than you guys are making it out to be. I don't main her, but I like playing as her, and it's a chore if your team is completely unorganized. I guess that's also why if I'm playing solo and have to heal I just pick Lucio since I can protect myself better when I have to

Sorral

On this Mercy talk: Zarya is my most played hero, so every time I got a Mercy on my team, I wished that there was a way to get your shield on healers as a priority target over regular teammates around you. Perhaps a dedicated button or/and an option that you turn on in the settings.

In heated fights and trying to be fast one time, I kept giving it to a Dva that moved too close to our Mercy a lot, which I'm assuming for cover, but sometimes that's not enough and the Mercy dies anyway. It was noticiable enough that my teammates said "Dva is confirmed fat!" as a joke.

abundant

Mid 60s ranked and people are trying to battle double Pharahs and a Mercy with Reapers and Mei?

Is there any rank where people aren't just horrifically stupid? Is there a secret game mode I'm unfamiliar with?

The problem with rank is two fold. First, the placement matches seem to be useless, seeing how the majority of players fall somewhere between 40 and 60. Then to rank up, all you need is to be on the winning team.

This results in one ranked 60 player being far worse than other ranked 60 players.

Egg0

Banned
Defend game on Numbani. Played against 4 attacking McCreess, a Mei, and a Mercy. I got into the game late and they still couldn't get the first objective. Them QP strats.

Chewed through them with Junkrat.

Won

we need to have a serious discussion with blizzard regarding map rotation.

Last night from 9pm to 4am, a few friends were doing back to back matches in quick play just for fun, and in all that time, we never saw King's Row, Nepal, Hollywood, Dorado or Gibraltar.

That is unacceptable. 5 maps out of 12 we did not see in 7 hours. That is not right. Oh and btw, we only played on Anubis, 66 and Numbani once. So really we kept seeing Hanamura, Volskaya, Illios and Lijang. Now I love KotH maps, but going back and forth between hanamura and volskaya was a pain.

Just wait till they add a new map to the game. You are not gonna see it for days if your unlucky.

Zemm

On this Mercy talk: Zarya is my most played hero, so every time I got a Mercy on my team, I wished that there was a way to get your shield on healers as a priority target over regular teammates around you. Perhaps a dedicated button or/and an option that you turn on in the settings.

In heated fights and trying to be fast one time, I kept giving it to a Dva that moved too close to our Mercy a lot, which I'm assuming for cover, but sometimes that's not enough and the Mercy dies anyway. It was noticiable enough that my teammates said "Dva is confirmed fat!" as a joke.

yeah the amount of times I've tried to shield a mercy or lucio and someone steps in the way is an insane amount

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This results in one ranked 60 player being far worse than other ranked 60 players.

That's um... not how MMR works. I mean yes the placement can be way off but there's no way it can be perfect. It's just a rough, initial estimate and it relies on further samples to gradually put people where they belong. Whether the placement is 10 games or 100 doesn't really make a huge difference since you'll be playing these games anyway, unless you only place and then stop playing.

MMR curves tend to be bell shaped.

rating-curve.gif

People being mostly 40-60 is working as intended. You have to be really new/poor at FPS to place below 30 (this is why there's a level limit on playing ranked), but also extremely strong to place above 70 (like surefour, who placed at 78 on a new account). The reason why the placement doesn't regularly throw people into the deep 20s and high 80s is because it creates games with even more player variance than you see already, since the average match will have a much higher MMR spread. The usual strategy is to put people near the middle, then have the curve flatten out as time goes on, rather than have a flattish curve that slowly gets more bell-like over time. That's because in the latter scenario, a large number of people at the higher end will be losing regularly while a large number of people at the lower end will be winning regularly (thus, regressing towards the mean, the middle), leading to a very poor experience for all.

Unless you're saying those rank 60s were carried by their friends all through quick play and placement in which case yes, that is a problem and why some games split solo queue from team queue.

Gator86

Defend game on Numbani. Played against 4 attacking McCreess, a Mei, and a Mercy. I got into the game late and they still couldn't get the first objective. Them QP strats.

Chewed through them with Junkrat.

Sounds about right. Honestly, I cringe when I see a McCree now. The nerf seems to have made him useless in the hands of 90% of players. I don't fear him when I see him on the other team, and when he's on mine, I just groan every time I see him slowly trudging back from the spawn for the 467616th time.

abundant

Unless you're saying those rank 60s were carried by their friends all through quick play and placement in which case yes, that is a problem and why some games split solo queue from team queue.

This is exactly what I was saying. Sorry, I should've been more clearer.

Satch

Banned
reinhardt players and mercy players are the same breed of ape

calm the fuck down, its ok to hide sometimes instead of letting them spam ur shield

Egg0

Banned
Sounds about right. Honestly, I cringe when I see a McCree now. The nerf seems to have made him useless in the hands of 90% of players. I don't fear him when I see him on the other team, and when he's on mine, I just groan every time I see him slowly trudging back from the spawn for the 467616th time.

Funny enough, one of the McCrees killed 4 of us with his ult because we weren't really sure which one was doing it. Turns out he was on one of the balconies to the right. They still couldn't cap the objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom