• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Overwatch is a fun game and all

but I swear all the maps are awful. Like Anubis never feels fun. Anubis feels like a TF2 community map in beta.

but I swear all the maps are awful. Like Anubis never feels fun. Anubis feels like a TF2 community map in beta.

Anubis is the only map I actively hate. That map is straight up garbage. Everything else is at least passable.

Hopefully more maps. I'm more excited for maps over more heroes.

In my dream world, this game has 50 heroes and we start competitive matches with a hero draft.

jotun?

Just had a game where my team won by a landslide.. Roadhog on the other side had 5 gold medals, I imagine he wasn't too happy with his team

Yea, but it takes away from focusing on the enemy team on ground. It's a distraction more than anything. And no, it's not fun. We were just constantly flying around each other for a few rematches until I decided to just quit focusing on her and going after the ground guys again. She eventually gave up too. I guess we both hated trying to kill each other, lol
Pharah air shots aren't all that hard. You should've spent some time in the brawl the other week that was all pharah mercy. Definitely helped my air shot game out a bit.

I really really hope blizzard updates the maps. Anubis and Hanumura especially. The choke points on them are just absurd. I do kind of like the second point in Anubis, but it's very messy--they could definitely refine what's there to make it better.

Also, I finally got ranked last night--52, and immediately lost the next two rounds, largely thanks to a Reinheardt pub who charged every time his shield broke. I was Mercy and he forced me to watch him die pathetically over and over :(

Trickster

Hm, I actually really like most maps personally. The only areas I really tend to dislike are the last areas in capture point maps like Volskaya and Hanamura. It can suck major ass to be attacker on those points when playing with strangers.

Zemm

It's easier to list the good maps - Lijang, Nepal, El Dorado, Kings Row

It's so fun getting stuck in a rotation of route 66 - anubis - hanamura - route 66

And by fun, I mean completely awful fuck this game where's my map filter?

LiK

Pharah air shots aren't all that hard. You should've spent some time in the brawl the other week that was all pharah mercy. Definitely helped my air shot game out a bit.

She's my main and most played hero. Only another Pharah gives me issues cuz we just end up missing each other all the time. I can kill shitty Pharahs no problem but we were playing Comp and we just end up missing each other for most of the match. Waste of time to keep trying to hunt another Pharah when my team needs me to help with the ground crew. If my team was stomping the ground units, I think it would benefit me to focus on the other Pharah.

I'll probably just switch to Soldier next time as a counter pick cuz no one in my group can play Soldier which is rather annoying.

It's easier to list the good maps - Lijang, Nepal, El Dorado, Kings Row

It's so fun getting stuck in a rotation of route 66 - anubis - hanamura - route 66

And by fun, I mean completely awful fuck this game where's my map filter?

I don't mind Route 66, really.

El Dorado is way more situational to me. That last turn, the literal 180, is a fucking disaster with a rough team. But man, turning that corner when you have a well-oiled team on Attack feels 2good.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, Blizzard REALLY needs to do something about stacking.

I thought I was okay with it in QP, since competitive is more serious oriented.

I thought I was okay with it if there were only one or two stacks on a hero.

No. Fuck that. Fuck all of it.

One of each hero per team. Fighting a Torb team is stupid. Trying to take over a checkpoint that a bunch of bastions have locked down from every angle is stupid. 2 Tracers and two Lucio's guarding an area is fucking stupid.

I seem to remember blizzard's reasoning is that you shouldn't be forced to not pick your favorite character because that's not fun. To that, I demand that all blizzard employees have a ten game session such games (on PS4 if need be) and play with randoms and then tell me how much fun their having. It's important to play with randoms so they know how fun it is to try and coordinate with strangers who only might every once in a few games listen.

It's bad for them anyway. Players need to learn how to diversify their strategies, play with characters their not used to. Some wierdo's who paly 523532 hours of one character and one character only may not be happy about it, but they are a small minority.

Fuck stacking.

LiK

One silverlining to Comp is that QP is so relaxing in comparison. The attitude is just different now. Before Comp came out, people would freak in QP but now, no one really gives a fuck anymore. Well, except for people who are tryhards and still get mad over nothing.

abundant

Okay, Blizzard REALLY needs to do something about stacking.

I thought I was okay with it in QP, since competitive is more serious oriented.

I thought I was okay with it if there were only one or two stacks on a hero.

No. Fuck that. Fuck all of it.

One of each hero per team. Fighting a Torb team is stupid. Trying to take over a checkpoint that a bunch of bastions have locked down from every angle is stupid. 2 Tracers and two Lucio's guarding an area is fucking stupid.

I seem to remember blizzard's reasoning is that you shouldn't be forced to not pick your favorite character because that's not fun. To that, I demand that all blizzard employees have a ten game session such games (on PS4 if need be) and play with randoms and then tell me how much fun their having. It's important to play with randoms so they know how fun it is to try and coordinate with strangers who only might every once in a few games listen.

It's bad for them anyway. Players need to learn how to diversify their strategies, play with characters their not used to. Some wierdo's who paly 523532 hours of one character and one character only may not be happy about it, but they are a small minority.

Fuck stacking.
The biggest problem with hero stacking is even if you can counter it, it makes the game boring. That's the main reason most tournaments, even the ESL recently, have a hero limit. It's boring to play against. It's boring to watch. It's just plain boring.

Yes, FTH cooldown was the answer, not nerfing his damage. The balance on console sucks ass since his nerf, TBH.

This is dead on. I preferred the game in general back before the nerf. Hell, revert Widowmaker, too. She may have needed it on PC but not on console. McCree is straight up nonexistent on console.

My concern is that the incoming Tjorb nerf will do the same to him.

I'm all for balance adjustments. I hate seeing a character taken out all-together.

Prelude.

Fuck stacking.
They might finally decide to remove it when the game is more "balanced" and has more characters. As it is now, certain characters aren't countered enough as much as others, and vice versa, so having a bad *character that you really need* in your team and not being able to do anything about it might be something Blizzard doesn't want to happen. In the "rock-paper-scissors" scheme of things, some heroes have a serious advantage over others.

Having said that, I think it's absolute cancer, but more on my own team than the enemies. When I have multiple of the same in my team they're usually leaving big holes in the composition and just make everything harder for us.

It's pretty unfortunate they're gonna release only 1 character at a time, since it's gonna take a looong time before we get to that level. The incredibly small pool of people that played the closed beta really ruined the game with all the complaints about every single thing.

matmanx1

One silverlining to Comp is that QP is so relaxing in comparison. The attitude is just different now. Before Comp came out, people would freak in QP but now, no one really gives a fuck anymore. Well, except for people who are tryhards and still get mad over nothing.

I agree with this. I had some of the most fun and relaxed QP games last night with a friend and his GF, who just got the game. Sure, we lost the first couple and she had little idea what she was doing, but then we won a couple after that, and everyone was having fun and keeping a good attitude about it. So that is one positive aspect of Competitive!

LiK

I agree with this. I had some of the most fun and relaxed QP games last night with a friend and his GF, who just got the game. Sure, we lost the first couple and she had little idea what she was doing, but then we won a couple after that, and everyone was having fun and keeping a good attitude about it. So that is one positive aspect of Competitive!

And people are messing with random heroes to practice. It's just a good time now.

FoxSpirit

Torb stacking is throwing the game in comp against a 2 reinhardt+2 pharah comp.

Recently had a 5 Torb stack on Hanamura. Oh, great. Total throw. Any heavy stack is a throw.

Also, D.Va Ult breaks so many stalemates. I forget that far too often.

And people are messing with random heroes to practice. It's just a good time now.

Agreed. My only problem with it now is that people leave incessantly. At least in this mode you get some backfill, but being down 1 or more people for a minute-ish (for loading and then character picking) is make or break at some points.

Except in the case of yesterday. Defense on Anubis. Defense. Anubis. Just need to make that clear. 2 Genjis and a Hanzo: all three of them quit when we lost the first point (because of course we were going to.) The Attacking team didn't rush the second point for some reason and I was able to play interference for a bit with my dude, Roadhog. We got our backfill and won the game.

Who knew that 2 Genjis and a Hanzo weren't good picks?

Son Of D

The main downside to a 1 of each hero per team limit is that you're going to get a lot of people like "You suck as Mercy, switch to someone else so I can be Mercy and actually do her job well" and others who get mad because someone else took their character.

QP is good for relaxing and practicing new heroes. Can't really do that in competitive. I've been trying to diversify a bit in case my "mains" are either nerfed or made obsolete by new heroes. Also doesn't hurt to be able to switch to something else when needed.

Mainly I do best with Mercy and Reaper. Been trying to up my game with Lucio and Zarya. Problem is I have shit accuracy and that is not something that can just be improved with practice, but requires some actual physical capability. I'm getting close to 40 and have problems with both wrists. Hyper fast and accurate characters like Genji and Widowmaker are flat out impossible for me.

The addition of a "sniper healer" worries me a bit that the game will take a rather nasty direction of characters that get more benefit from reflexes over characters that get benefit from smart play.

Just brings back shitty memories of Starcraft II and getting beaten in ranked by people I was clearly smarter than simply because they had 400apm vs my 100apm. Doesn't matter if I had the perfect build and strategy going into an engagement after scouting them and accurately predicting their own build.

The characters that make me rage the most in Overwatch are all those sorts of characters. Genji, Tracer, and Widowmaker.

The pitfalls of being older I guess. 20 years ago I'd probably be one of those assholes insta-locking genji/widow and pwning the enemy team with rapid headshots and flipping around all over the place.

LiK

The main downside to a 1 of each hero per team limit is that you're going to get a lot of people like "You suck as Mercy, switch to someone else so I can be Mercy and actually do her job well" and others who get mad because someone else took their character.

Which is why it should be a different mode for people who prefer it. If the group can't cooperate on hero choices, they can stick to QP.

Pratfall

I think the biggest limitation right now is hero depth at tank and support positions. I want the first 3 new heroes they roll out to be 2 supports and another tank.

I think the biggest limitation right now is hero depth at tank and support positions. I want the first 3 new heroes they roll out to be 2 supports and another tank.

Nah we need a sniper teleporter that can turn invisible. *edit* also, it needs to run really fast, do backflips, and have a dash ability that deals 300 damage to everyone nearby which charges up it's ultimate that headshots all visible enemies*

But really I'd be up for some more interesting supports and tanks. That seems to be where I am headed for a specialty. Also more choices there means more likely you'll see less teams where everyone insta-locks a damage dealer and refuses to change.

holysan

We had a hanzo main right now blaming others for their picks, saying that double support is shit lel and that he is there for dealing dmg, while being killed by a symmetra or the other teams widow. why

Zemm

There are far too many weirdos who have only ever played as one hero ever, but they should never stop trying to make the game better because of them.

nahlakhai

One of the most frustrating things is going against 2x Torb, Bastion, and Symmetra in a pick up group. The response time to countering is at least 5 deaths before someone even makes a change.

Hanzo picks wouldn't be so bad if people actually played him aggressively.

He's a super strong pick on consoles if you do. You move with the push and can play him almost like a flanker because of his map traversal abilities. His damage is killer. He can peek-n-poke turrets safely. His wallhack keeps reinforces pushing safely. And he can zone out an entire team with his ult.

Instead, you have a K/D circle jerk with him that will eventually get harassed into uselessness.

One of the most frustrating things is going against 2x Torb, Bastion, and Symmetra in a pick up group. The response time to countering is at least 5 deaths before someone even makes a change.

I've been noticing a lot of Winstons on the initial attacking team for the 3 Capture maps (Hanamura, Anubis, and Volskaya). Mostly to clear out the expected Symmetra turrets off whatever room right next to the main chokepoints.

jotun?

Agreed. It's the support class that needs the most help. Right now it's basically just Lucio and Mercy. Symmetra is situational, and Zenyatta is a risky pick at mid to high level play.
Symmetra shouldn't even be in the same category as Mercy and Lucio. She's straight-up defense just as much as Torb is

The tank situation is similar in that Reinhardt is the only real pure tank. Zarya is equal parts tank, damage, and support. Roadhog is half tank, half damage. Winston and D.va are both more for harassment, flanking, and disruption than any sort of front line tanking.

Eric WK

I genuinely don't know if anyone will care, but I've noticed a lack of console streams on Twitch so I decided to start streaming ranked play.

Rank 72 on Xbox One. Mostly play DPS for ranked but every now and then I'll off-tank or off-support.

https://www.twitch.tv/ericwk

Azoor

Finally got the Anubis armor for Pharah.

JUBdi4.png

Ertai

This penalty that you get when the enemy team leaves is driving me insane, of all the wins i got today all of them was due to steamrolling the first round and the enemy team had 1-3 leavers when the next round started. No way of regaining lost ranking at this rate

abundant

This penalty that you get when the enemy team leaves is driving me insane, of all the wins i got today all of them was due to steamrolling the first round and the enemy team had 1-3 leavers when the next round started. No way of regaining lost ranking at this rate

It's best to think that season 1 never happened and the real competitive mode starts in season 2. It's already been confirmed that sudden death will gone, and I'm hopeful that the winner's penalty nonsense will be gone as well.

edit: and for me personally, I've learned my lesson on playing with randoms/grouping up with bad players. So I should be able to stay in the 50s come season 2.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Symmetra shouldn't even be in the same category as Mercy and Lucio. She's straight-up defense just as much as Torb is

The tank situation is similar in that Reinhardt is the only real pure tank. Zarya is equal parts tank, damage, and support. Roadhog is half tank, half damage. Winston and D.va are both more for harassment, flanking, and disruption than any sort of front line tanking.

That just tells me that the tank depth has a lot of variety in its characters with a lot of different playstyles.

Most of them are viable and DVa is getting a buff. Tanks are fine.

zonezeus

Anyone on EU server lagging like hell and waits 3-4 minutes for matches? It's completely unplayable right now, is it me or is it the server?

I've gotten super lucky with skins. I'm in the mid-40s, and I've opened Pharah's Thunderbird, Reinhardt's Bloodhardt, Roadhog's Islander, Widowmaker's Comtesse, and enough coins to buy Lucio's Ribbit. There are others that I would rather have opened, but to complain would be nothing short of greedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom