• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What i don't understand is why aren't all the tournament's held in LAN settings? It's kinda weird as someone more used to the fgc style.

Anne

What i don't understand is why aren't all the tournament's held in LAN settings? It's kinda weird as someone more used to the fgc style.

Early in games life, logistics, etc.

I come from FGC, I wrote and worked in FGC for a few years and ran some events. It's cheap to get some consoles in a room and tell people to show up. LAN logistics take a lot more time and money to prepare.

Antiwhippy

Early in games life, logistics, etc.

I come from FGC, I wrote and worked in FGC for a few years and ran some events. It's cheap to get some consoles in a room and tell people to show up. LAN logistics take a lot more time and money to prepare.

Hmm, oh yeah, i guess seeing that you need an individual computer for each competitor.

Veelk

Banned
I know I'm a broken record on this, but Widow really, REALLY needs her kit reworked. Like, who does she even counter? Who is she supposed to be good against? Zenyatta, I guess, he doesn't have many options against her at a distance. Torbjorn IF AND ONLY IF your out of his turret's MASSIVE range. Bastion if he doesn't already have his eye on you. Symmetra if, for some stupid reason, she's not hiding. And that's it.

Who can counter her?

Norman-leon-35112912-245-150.gif

Here's how each counter runs down if you don't get the hit from the first headshot.

Genji: Super agile with vertifcal movement, has dash, and reflect. Has every opportunity to evade another shot. Can easily flush Widow out, Widow can do little about it. He EASILY kills her.

McCree: His pistol can function as a sniper so if he ducks and weaves (something Widow can't do while scoped), he can outshoot her with a bit of good aim. Plus, dead eye of course. He has more trouble than most, but he still has a decent shot.

Pharah: theoretically, Widow is supposed to be a counter to her, but at best, she can shut down her ult pretty well because she is staying completely still there. Otherwise, she can fly away, has the concussion blast to fuck up your aim when her regular fire isn't killing you. A Pharah will win most of the time.

Reaper: He of course can ghost away to cover, but I've had instances where I saw him teleport next to me, and he out DPSed me even though he not only triggered my mine but also I fired on him with my assault rifle. The spread on her gun is VERY wide, so missing is easy. You might think "Well, he's teleporting, it should be obvious because of how he yells it out". Yeah, well, again, that scoped vision is a son of a bitch. I need to get out of it to turn around and get some situational awareness, and if I try to snipe him, the charge takes too long to get a clean headshot. That's assuming he just doesn't sneak up, which is probable, where he DEFINITELY will out DPS you, in case you just think I suck with her assault rifle.

Soldier 76: He has sprint to get away and can self heal and can even kill you pretty fast if he feathers the trigger. He can EASILY take out Widow, both from a distance and by flushing her out.

Tracer: Well, admittedly, she'll be pretty weak even after one body shot, but that's what revert is for, or blinking away to a health pack. Assuming that the player is reasonably familiar with the map, taking or smoking out a Widow is one of Tracer's easiest jobs.

Bastion and Torbjorn: If they picked a good spot, they can out DPS WIdow because of her charge requirement, so even the heroes she's good against is conditional. Remember, the Overwatch maps are small, so Widow is always likely to be within 40 meters. She only counters these guys if they have other problems to worry about.

Hanzo: I feel their are more or less matched in their sniping ability. He can't shoot as accurately from far away, but can fire off more shots much faster. Medium to close range, Widow is FUCKED. Even if his aiming is bad, his scattershot is WAY better than her poisonmine too and will mean the end of her often.

Junkrat: Another relatively easy prey for Widow, if only due to his slowness. Still, even he can use his explosive mine to escape if he's quickwitted enough. And, of course, if he is close enough to where his grenades can reach widow, she's gonna have a bad day.

Mei: Ice barrier, wall, long range alt fire. Like Junkrat, she's a bit slower so she's slightly easier prey, but she has many options for escape and atleast one for retaliation.

All the tanks: Their health almost ensures their survival. D.Va is pretty much her hard counter with her rockets. Winston is basically another one with his jump. Reinhard's Shield will protect him. Roadhog's Hook will get her as soon as he closes in even a little. Zarya is the only tank that is somewhat weak to her. She has no long range capabilities or movement. Her barrier will only help for 2 seconds. But like all tanks, she just has so much health, there's almost no way she won't atleast escape behind cover.

Ana: Ana's rate of fire means she'll put down Widow faster than Widow will put down her because of charge. She's less mobile, but she has a way better kit with a self healing grenade and a long shot sleep arrow.

Lucio: Super fast, self healing, and Ult that protects him, and has no fall off damage for his gun. I've played against plenty of Widows that I outshot as Lucio. Either they retreat or they die. I think WIdow is actually the only character that Lucio can make retreat.

Mercy: Situational, but guardian angel can easily bail her out and she has her pistol that can do what Lucio's and Meka-less D.Va can do: Fire on a stationary, scoped in widow that can't move without losing her charge.

Keep in mind that pretty much ALL the maps are designed around having LOTS of cover. There's very few sniper positions that both offer a good view and also aren't instantly identifiable and easy to flush out. Widow's only line of defense when she's scoped is the poison mine, which is borderline worthless. The sacrifice she makes in situational awareness can't be overstated, yet she has essentially no option to get her out of a jam. Her assault rifle is wide firing low damaging shit, especially when she's doesn't have the jump on someone else. She might be able to grapple away, but only once (for some ungoldy reason, it's got a TWELVE SECOND cooldown. Why?) and it's not likely to save you. Not even her Ult will necessarily save you if you are scoped in. And it's basically imperative that you are because if you aren't, you lose your charge.

There is no other hero as poorly equipped as Widow to deal with the vast majority of threats against her. You can argue that she's pretty good if you have godlike aiming that gets a headshot EVERY shot, but ANY margin of error is going to be disastrous for widow. It's not like that for any other hero. No other hero is this limited in their alternative options and escape solutions. If you're don't have the enemy down by the first shot, you're basically done or atleast no way you're getting that kill without other factors coming into play, like if they happen to be on cooldown or they are distracted by another enemy. Any other situation leads to them escaping, and more than likely taking you out. They have so many ways to do so, and Widow can't do anything about it.

duckroll

Just pulled Tracer's Track and Field from a lootbox.

Haul so far:
Lucio Striker Skin
Tracer Track and Field Skin
Zarya Weightlifter Skin
Zarya Champion Skin
McCree American Skin
DVa Taegeukgi Skin

Lucio Football Emote
Symmetra Ribbon Emote

Junkrat Shotput Intro

Tons of voice lines, player icons, victory poses, sprays, and other zzzzzz.

dity

Oh yeah. I was going to post in a thread like this but totally forgot about the gaming community forum.

Anyways, I play on PC and have something like 130 hours in the game. My rank for season 1 was a max of 48 but near the end I stopped giving a crap and just wanted points so I played every match I could. Ended up 2 CP short of a gold weapon, because I got the flu on the last two days. D:

I play every character I can, some days I'm better with some characters than others. I generally enjoy playing Pharah, Zarya, DVA, and Roadhog - although I can go ok with Tracer, Reaper, Junkrat, and Torb. When I play support I go for Lucio or Zenyatta. I used to play Mercy but her ult isn't as useful as Zen's right now imo.

Izayoi

Banned
Why am I watching people who are better than me at this game play this game instead of actually playing it myself
Because the alternative is playing Quick Play?

Quick Play has been extremely hit of miss for me... hard to go back after Competitive.

Zen's changes on PTR make him even better, from a solo standpoint, in my opinion. Crits absolutely melt people... it's wonderful.

Antiwhippy

Because the alternative is playing Quick Play?

Quick Play has been extremely hit of miss for me... hard to go back after Competitive.

Zen's changes on PTR make him even better, from a solo standpoint, in my opinion. Crits absolutely melt people... it's wonderful.

It's kind of the same damage output, it's just that cross are easier to hit with hitbox changes.

Izayoi

Banned
It's kind of the same damage output, it's just that cross are easier to hit with hitbox changes.
Yeah, I think it's that... I'm critting almost every shot now.

I'm glad his nerf wasn't crushing... I was really worried that they would go way too far in the other direction. He still feels great to play, so I'm a happy camper.

duckroll

People are already using the sit animations to sit on the payload in the PRT. The D.va ones are hilarious.

Forget sitting on the payload, I look forward to KotH maps becoming the new Ragnarok Online. Instead of contesting anything, both teams should just agree to meet up at the start on the point, and sit around together and chat. :D

Antiwhippy

Forget sitting on the payload, I look forward to KotH maps becoming the new Ragnarok Online. Instead of contesting anything, both teams should just agree to meet up at the start on the point, and sit around together and chat. :D

People do that all the time in ptr now.

I just stand far back and shoot Hanzo's ult at them.

Azoor

They're just promoting pacifism :p

Blizzard should have a game mode where we all play D.vas and challenge ourselves in a LAN game.

peakish

Talespin diving in with low HP and picking off the Genji was damn cool. Even survived without recalling iirc :eek: then the rest of the team joined up and won the point against a staggered spawn.

Rad-

Looked through some of my lesser played heroes and who to try to practice more for season 2 PS4 and I seem to have potential to be a solid Tracer (this is QP stats as I didn't play her in comp).

6mNoU89.jpg

I have to start playing her more because she's also going to be great in the next meta. Though it's weird how only 21 eliminations puts me in the 99th percentage. I mean with Tracer you get so many kill assists that each game when I get less than 30 eliminations I feel like I let down my team in a way. And I think I need to work on my accuracy as 30% sounds low to me. Death count is pretty high as well but I guess that will improve as I learn to move/blink with her better.

I think I'm going to start practicing more Pharah and Zarya as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom