• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

Clearly you didn't carry us hard enough.

Git gudder.

Plus that Bastion was completely worthless.

Fuck that Bastion.

I was actually gonna message him but then I remembered it was quick play. :/

one my way back from spawn I saw him setting up... right outside of our spawn! WTF?
4PiZT9H.png

Redmoon

About to level up for one last summer box.

Volskaya Industries loads.

Closed game.

Honestly played that map like 20 times today.

Kito

Sorry if I've missed this, but for those playing on PTR, what are opinions on Mercy's healing buff? With her damage buff never making it out of testing, how it is looking for her healing buff actually being implemented?

Her ult now seemingly charges the same as prenerf i.e. it's actually useful again, so I see no reason why this Mercy wouldn't go live. I've gotten so many POTGs today for clutch rezzes that I believe the POTG formula has changed in favour of Mercy too. If I revive 3 that includes a Reaper who immediately ults for a triple kill, I get the POTG.

Anne

Word on the street is that Envy partied way too late and hard over the weekend and that got them extra hard.

hilarious if true, they deserve that loss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wGcNzFd3as

OMG hitbox so broken lulz.

Hmm, also apparently the hitboxes are bigger than live but smaller than launch?

The collision hull pictured here is the same for all classes btw. From the Heavy to the tiny scout they all share this same big box.

Part of my major frustration with the Overwatch community is that there is so much misunderstanding on how these arena shooters work with regards to hitboxes. I suppose part the reason is that it's been so long since this type of game blew up and got so popular. That big hitbox might look goofy, but it's a major reason why TF2's balance is so robust despite being filled to the brim with bloat and every kind of weird alternative weapon you can think of. If you look at TF2's weapon list you see that many different kinds of weapons share very similar damage ranges despite very different ways of delivering that damage.

https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Weapons

The scout's scattergun does up to 105 in the sweet spot range while the demoman pipes do a flat 100 damage on a direct hit. And while the matchup is scout favored, a good demoman with decent pipe aim can kill a scout quite handily. Despite having roughly the same damage capacity in both their primaries and one being an instant hitscan shotgun blast and the other a bumbling pill that flies in arc, they are balanced with one another because they don't share the same method of hit detection. If the Demoman was forced to actually hit the model of the tiny wiggling and jumping scout, he would be seriously screwed.

Projectiles are costly attacks. Both in terms of how much extra effort the player must exert in order to use them, and also in terms of how the game engine handles them in online multiplayer games because the game has to keep track of multiple projectiles in flight during each "snapshot" sent to the server. Larger projectile hitboxes are a cost mitigation tool to give you a solid foundation when balancing against hitscan. Without those big TF2 hitboxes soldiers would be better suited running around shooting people with their shotgun only OR the rockets would have to do eleventy billion tons of damage to compensate for having to hit the same target as hitscan which would break the math of the game in other ways.

Mat-triX

So...I did it. I caved and bought 24 Loot Crates. I really needed the USA Mccree and France Windowmaker, but I have work tomorrow so I can't play. Got the Widowmaker skin after 18 boxes, but after 24 I didn't get Mccree.
...So I bought 2 more...
...Still no Mccree...
...Than I bought 2 MORE...
...FINALLY USA MCCREE! It was all worth it.

I paid $24 for 2 skins.

Anne

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...yus_were_hungover_and_had_very_little/d6rdzsz

Talespin says no. Even though EnvyUs lost the streak, I don't like how they didn't have a chance to redeem themselves in the tournament's format after a loss like Rogue was able to.

Nice response. I got nothing against Envy, I just don't like partying at LANs until it's over. Hope they really did try their best.

The format is what it is. Groups are for seeds and elims, final bracket is single elim. I would prefer a straight double elim bracket system but I get why this format is used.

SugarDave

I'm so annoyed that I bought some boxes now, feel like I have to keep going to get that Mercy skin. I am ashamed of my words and deeds.

Jayhawk

Nice response. I got nothing against Envy, I just don't like partying at LANs until it's over. Hope they really did try their best.

The format is what it is. Groups are for seeds and elims, final bracket is single elim. I would prefer a straight double elim bracket system but I get why this format is used.

Seeding with only 4 teams per group didn't really make much sense either, since it wasn't a round robin to determine seeds. At least every team plays the same amount of games during a round-robin.

The map selection process may have been more entertaining because it led to more Hanamura and Anubis than any tournament before, but I'm not a fan of "loser picks map" with so much variety between maps. Getting that first win in a series is a huge advantage since you usually get the deciding map pick for the final map if it gets to that point.

What is the next offline international tournament? I hope some of those top-ranked koreans from season 1 competitive start talking to each other and forming teams.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think it's funny that Torbjorn's turret is like some awful inbetween of an engineers level 1 and level 2 turret. Not even his level 3.

But an engineers mini sentry is more survivable. Like I'm pretty sure Mercy could out DPS Torbjorn's 'repair' and I'm blown away that Blizzard let that through.

Celegus

Awww yeah got one of the Zarya skins in my box today! Not sure if I'll have time to get one last one tomorrow or not, but I'm definitely happy with Tracer / Zarya / Mercy skins from the event. McCree's is great but I don't really play him anyway.

Squire

Banned
Nah, I don't think they would drop it cold for season 2. Probably a week before for people to get used to it because there are a lot of changes.

Yeah, people would hate that. Especially with rule changes applied to S2 at the same time. People would say balancing fucked up their placements and Blizz would hear that all season long.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
literally watched my entire team chase after a reaper at spawn when the point was at 99% and i was the only one going to it

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really should remind myself that I'm playing pubs sometimes after a tournament. I would see a perfect opportunity to speed boost sound barrier for team fights, and then just see the rest of my team farting around.

antitrop

I'm glad I've kind of learned to enjoy playing Lucio, because otherwise more than half of the solo QP matches I play would have no healers at all. But he's nice to play as a low stress option, as all you have to worry about is, "Is everybody's health full or do you hear an ult coming? Speed boost. Otherwise healing."
Nothing gets the heart racing like contesting an objective by dancing all over it. My most high stress moments have all been clutch Lucio stalling.

zoukka

I really should remind myself that I'm playing pubs sometimes after a tournament. I would see a perfect opportunity to speed boost sound barrier for team fights, and then just see the rest of my team farting around.

One of the biggest reasons for rage in competitive games spurs from us plebs watching high level play on a regular basis. We tend to think we are good players because we watch good players.

Antiwhippy

One of the biggest reasons for rage in competitive games spurs from us plebs watching high level play on a regular basis. We tend to think we are good players because we watch good players.

I don't rage from it, I just go "Oh, right."

I kinda want to play the more aggressive lucio but it's not as viable lower down the ranks because most people are afraid to engage in fights.

this game will be so much better when they nerf zenyatta into the fucking dirt

I think he's where he needs to be now in PTR. I love the zen man from the start though so I'm biased

Apathy

I am so sick of scatter arrow to the foot bullshit. no one character needs an instant kill on a 10 second timer. It's straight up bullshit.

I am so sick of scatter arrow to the foot bullshit. no one character needs an instant kill on a 10 second timer. It's straight up bullshit.

That's a huge exaggeration though. It's less than 50%.

Roadhog's hook is probably like 70% :p

Hanzo is not some insanely OP character people just HATE when they get killed by him.

Antiwhippy

Balanced to what though?

Like honestly playing PTR it's not even that bad? I'd still go mccree if I want a consistent burst damage dealer.

Spinluck

Widow in her current state is fucking garbage.

Incredibly situational and piss easy to counter, it also doesn't help that most people that use her are terrible since she requires an incredible amount of accuracy. Right now I'd say Ana and Hanzo are better long range options if we're talking consistency. I'm not saying she should dominate teams like she did earlier, but at least make her viable.

Veelk

Banned
Isn't the hitbox buff a buff for everyone? Even if Hanzo can get easier heashots...so can everyone else, so it's easier for everyone to inflict damage.

Apathy

That's a huge exaggeration though. It's less than 50%.

Roadhog's hook is probably like 70% :p

Hanzo is not some insanely OP character people just HATE when they get killed by him.

It doesn't matter if hes lowest picked for pros, someone will always be, in actual games hes annoying as fuck now and going to get worse. Right now at least he doesn't get random headshots anymore, but scatter arrow aiming at someones feet should never be a kill. It is idiotic. Wish I could aim at peoples feet as everyone else that does not use an explosive and get a kill, boy what amazing game that would be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom