• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

dity

I think if that's the case, the odds of winning the game to begin with depends entirely on how much worse the other team is. Without coordination, Overwatch is a coin flip.

There's also the aspect of when you tell your team you're going to speedboost and some person gets aggro at you because "you should be in healing mode!" I swear some people think Lucio's speed boost is only for getting to the point and that's it.

I also change into her in a lot of desperation stall tactics which doesn't reflect too nicely in the stats. :<

Tracer and Lucio are usually way better for stuff like that anyway.

I think if that's the case, the odds of winning the game to begin with depends entirely on how much worse the other team is. Without coordination, Overwatch is a coin flip.

Most teams I've played with/against don't have quite that level of coordination. Usually, the best any of us can do is just call out where enemies are or our ult status or other simple things like that. Outside of that, we're all pretty much dependent on our own individual skill/game knowledge to win.

It seems to work a bit more than 50% of the time, so I guess it's fine?

Anne

Tracer and Lucio are usually way better for stuff like that anyway.

Most teams I've played with/against don't have quite that level of coordination. Usually, the best any of us can do is just call out where enemies are or our ult status or other simple things like that. Outside of that, we're all pretty much dependent on our own individual skill/game knowledge to win.

It seems to work a bit more than 50% of the time, so I guess it's fine?

Once you get higher up people will have coordination down or be queued into a group. Like you can be an outright better player but if you can't ever get a straight 1v1 or can't deal with being collapsed on then you just lose. So many of the abilities in this game get insane payoffs when coordinated together so people will have to know the basic interactions and how to time them without speaking.

peakish

Well, that's going to happen sometimes. Usually to do that you speed boost then fade into heal so they get away from danger and get the heals. The only time you do that is if speedboost isn't going to be needed for a bit for sure.

I think a majority of lower levels don't understand the intricacies in playing supports at higher level or how the team comps all come together. As dumb as Lucio is, playing him at higher levels that sync with the rest of the comp is actually really hard. Most of the supports at higher levels are some of the hardest to play characters in the game.
I can only imagine that it's very different at higher rankings (there obviously is in pro games). I'm mid-50's rank and there players (me included) don't really know to disengage in bad situations, the three exceptions being running from Mei/McCree/Dva ults. Players are also less coordinated with only a few joining voice channels. Speed boost loses a lot of its power and in my experience players seem to survive longer by keeping it on heal.

Still I can definitely find a better balance even at my rank. I've been trying to get better at judging when speed helps more than heals. Just in time for the nerf.

Speed boost strats aren't gonna work in quick play. Even when I tell people beforehand there might be a straggler that loses los and has to follow behind and get murdered along the way. Just be happy if you can you can bring a tank and dps with you.

duckroll

Overwatch is a completely different game when playing solo or with a buddy, and when playing with a 4-6 person stack.

When you solo queue or play in a pair and get matched into a game filled with people who are solo and/or in pairs, it's basically chaos. Almost any team combination COULD work in Quick Play. Other than people talking in their own pairs, basically no one will communicate most of the time. You play whatever you want and just hope the other team is just as confused. I can win games which I have no idea who they were won, because logically the tactics applied would have been so easily countered, but when trying to pull off more complex strategies, it falls apart completely. Hilarious stuff.

On the other hand with a stacked group, and everyone on voice chat, you tend to be matched with stacked groups too, who are doing the same. So these are the games where you can immediately tell if you're playing up to par that day. If you try stupid shit, even if it surprises the other team initially, odds are it'll be countered pretty quick unless they really suck. But at the same time, when you try to put together team strategies that work, and it all flows through with one ult after another in sync, and you get a TEAM KILL at the end, nothing feels more satisfying.

Anne

Speed boost strats aren't gonna work in quick play. Even when I tell people beforehand there might be a straggler that loses los and has to follow behind and get murdered along the way. Just be happy if you can you can bring a tank and dps with you.

I'm not talking QP, I'm mostly talking SR65+ comp on PC. Even in solo queue speed boost strats work if everybody is on a similar page. Like you see Zenyatta/Lucio locked in and somebody picks Zarya, you just know what to do. Poke for picks or a lot of damage until Lucio hits E. Everybody hears or feels the E and goes in focusing whoever has an orb on their head or is out of place. All that's left at that point is to know the diff ult timings. That might take some communication but it's usually as basic as "if x happens, we use y ult."

The game is so simple and all the spots you want on the maps are figured out. Like if you have Genji on your team, you can assume he's gonna take one of the main routes and stick to squishies at least. If you have McCree you know generally where he'll wanna be standing and who he's aiming for. So you just coordinate around those assumptions and the conditions for the strat your comp can do and you win.

Once you get higher up people will have coordination down or be queued into a group. Like you can be an outright better player but if you can't ever get a straight 1v1 or can't deal with being collapsed on then you just lose. So many of the abilities in this game get insane payoffs when coordinated together so people will have to know the basic interactions and how to time them without speaking.

I don't plan on ever getting super high in the ranks. The hyper competitive stuff just isn't for me. Hell, I never even planned to touch ranked at all originally. If at any point, Overwatch stops feeling fun and starts feeling like work, I'm out. I'm content with my semi-random match outcomes.

Plus, I'm on console, so the competition is generally just not as tough.

Last night played in a group where I got consent to be pacifist Bastion for a few matches and sit around waving to the other team to see how they react. Probably some of the best kill cams I've seen so far. Although, even after getting the ok from everyone, when we go back to actually playing the game after a few people leave, one of my friends starts screaming at me that because of me throwing a few games that it ruined our rank or something and now it was matching us with awful people where we were getting stomped and... I think I need better people to dick around in QP with.

If only non-competitive QP Overwatch was just a video game.

ekim

Overwatch is a completely different game when playing solo or with a buddy, and when playing with a 4-6 person stack.

When you solo queue or play in a pair and get matched into a game filled with people who are solo and/or in pairs, it's basically chaos. Almost any team combination COULD work in Quick Play. Other than people talking in their own pairs, basically no one will communicate most of the time. You play whatever you want and just hope the other team is just as confused. I can win games which I have no idea who they were won, because logically the tactics applied would have been so easily countered, but when trying to pull off more complex strategies, it falls apart completely. Hilarious stuff.

On the other hand with a stacked group, and everyone on voice chat, you tend to be matched with stacked groups too, who are doing the same. So these are the games where you can immediately tell if you're playing up to par that day. If you try stupid shit, even if it surprises the other team initially, odds are it'll be countered pretty quick unless they really suck. But at the same time, when you try to put together team strategies that work, and it all flows through with one ult after another in sync, and you get a TEAM KILL at the end, nothing feels more satisfying.

The good thing about playing solo or as a pair is that you can carry the team to some extend by providing what is needed against the other confused team which then mostly can't deal with the change in tactics. For example, the opponent had a very strong Genji and although we already had 2 tanks, I decided to switch to Winston and annoyed the hell out of the Ninja boy which saved us the game because he wouldn't switch although being slaughtered by me.

When I play with my friends, we usually are a team of 4-6 and all have voice chat. We gave every important building, flank route, roof, POI a nonsense unique nickname so everyone knows whats going on. Like "Reaper coming from the chippy" etc... Really helpful. We also have usually one player who takes the lead over the tactics and we also adapt to moment-to-moment changes very quick by reporting who died. If the enemy Widowmaker is dead we can easily take the paths she was covering. This is not possible in solo/duo Q.

Last night played in a group where I got consent to be pacifist Bastion for a few matches and sit around waving to the other team to see how they react. Probably some of the best kill cams I've seen so far. Although, even after getting the ok from everyone, when we go back to actually playing the game after a few people leave, one of my friends starts screaming at me that because of me throwing a few games that it ruined our rank or something and now it was matching us with awful people where we were getting stomped and... I think I need better people to dick around in QP with.

If only non-competitive QP Overwatch was just a video game.

That doesn't sound like a friend. That sounds like someone you should delete immediately.

Anne

I don't plan on ever getting super high in the ranks. The hyper competitive stuff just isn't for me. Hell, I never even planned to touch ranked at all originally. If at any point, Overwatch stops feeling fun and starts feeling like work, I'm out. I'm content with my semi-random match outcomes.

Plus, I'm on console, so the competition is generally just not as tough.

And that's totally fine if that's what you wanna do. It's a game for fun and all that. I just like talking about all the stuff that can happen past that when it comes to stuff cause that's how I have fun.

Anne

Man, watching the grand final and reinforce is making so many errors.

I think he did quite well and the commentators went a bit too harsh on him. He plays a more risky style sometimes where he goes for reads and tries to force openings. You don't see it a lot because a lot of teams prefer for their tanks to really just do the shield job and let DPS handle everything else. A lot of the "errors" can be explained more as something he had to do or else he'd lose a fight or be extending something for too long.

That being said he did have a couple of critical misplays centered around Earthshatter specifically. That's going to happen sometimes, but he really should clean the rest of that up. He had a good rest of the weekend besides that though. I honestly hope other Reins open up a bit like he does, it's more interesting and creates more dynamic fights.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think he did quite well and the commentators went a bit too harsh on him. He plays a more risky style sometimes where he goes for reads and tries to force openings. You don't see it a lot because a lot of teams prefer for their tanks to really just do the shield job and let DPS handle everything else. A lot of the "errors" can be explained more as something he had to do or else he'd lose a fight or be extending something for too long.

That being said he did have a couple of critical misplays centered around Earthshatter specifically. That's going to happen sometimes, but he really should clean the rest of that up. He had a good rest of the weekend besides that though. I honestly hope other Reins open up a bit like he does, it's more interesting and creates more dynamic fights.

I don't mind him going more aggressive, because that style is used to open up teams for tviq and akm to go ham, it's just that yeah, a lot of wasted earth shatters that were baited too easily or used bizarrely.

Hyun Sai

tumblr_o9ep9rfIbN1vy4uqno1_1280.jpg

You know, Torbjörn himself is actually a really good character. His rivet gun is amazing - the m1 has no damage dropoff so you can headshot for like 150 damage across the map, and his m2 is barely worse than Reapers. His forge hammer deals as much damage as Reinhardt's (just with a smaller hitbox).
I think if they made his m1 have a straight shot line instead of this ballistic arc it currently has, and maybe make it faster, he'd be already a really good character and might get picked more often in high level play, since he'd have a lot of versatility with his gun, his armour packs and the distraction aspect of his turret.

Anne

I can't hate on the casters too much because the game is still new and honestly the camera work and spectator mode combined into a new level of garbage. I had to watch replays a few times over because the important parts of fights were happening almost off camera while they chased around a failed Genji sword or some shit.

You know, Torbjörn himself is actually a really good character. His rivet gun is amazing - the m1 has no damage dropoff so you can headshot for like 150 damage across the map, and his m2 is barely worse than Reapers. His forge hammer deals as much damage as Reinhardt's (just with a smaller hitbox).
I think if they made his m1 have a straight shot line instead of this ballistic arc it currently has, and maybe make it faster, he'd be already a really good character and might get picked more often in high level play, since he'd have a lot of versatility with his gun, his armour packs and the distraction aspect of his turret.

I agree that he's already pretty alright, but I don't wanna buff his gun or anything right now. I'm just curious what it will look like if a meta ever matches his niche better.

Salarians

Great Overwatch feeling #47: getting Tracer-stuck as Pharah and rocketing away in time so that none of your teammates get killed too.

JoeNut

So I have yet to play this, but like the look of it. How is the general community? Going strong? Dying off? What's the long term support looking like? Thanks

Special C

Overwatch desperately needs a Pre-Season mode between seasons. Same rules as competative but no ranks or CP earned. Quick play is hot garbage

darklin0

Banned
Overwatch desperately needs a Pre-Season mode between seasons. Same rules as competative but no ranks or CP earned. Quick play is hot garbage

Nah, it is fun. Genji is not the end all be all like in rank, Defence characters exist, Mercy isn't completely useless, fun and experimental comps are back, for better or for worse Widow is being played.

Rank is super repetitive. Every team was Genji, Mcree, Lucio, Zen, 2 tanks.

Edit:

Oh and I can finally play Winston again. I missed all the monkey business.

Antiwhippy

Argh, the most unbearable thing about envyus losing is there are now people gloating about how right they were about them cheating.

Did they actually watch the match?

Can they take off their goggles and appreciate one of the best bo5 set of competitive overwatch so far? Other than envy's weakness with 2cp the level of play on both sides were incredible.

I have no idea how anyone solo queues in quick play without wanting to hurt themselves. What a dumpster fire of nonsense, zero coherent strategy or awareness.

They really should add a non hero stacking mode in the off-season.

Quick play is fun.
I switch off from running a strat unless other team mates do. I dont care about W/L in it.

Also i want more 2CP in tourneys. Its fun

Fuck RNG. Fuck it right off.

Seventy five fucking great british pounds down the swanny just trying to get that team GB tracer and nothing, in the end the boxes were giving me 4 fucking duplicates, I mean what the fuck?

Urgh FML.

Anne

I would very much like a permanent unranked mode that just sued the comp ruleset. Can be there for preseasons, practice, people that wanna play with different SR friends, etc.

Really don't get why that isn't there.

LiK

I would very much like a permanent unranked mode that just sued the comp ruleset. Can be there for preseasons, practice, people that wanna play with different SR friends, etc.

Really don't get why that isn't there.

hopefully they implement it in a future patch. seems silly they dont have it at all.

Kysen

This game isn't fun anymore without comp, quick play sucks.

Seventy five fucking great british pounds down the swanny just trying to get that team GB tracer and nothing, in the end the boxes were giving me 4 fucking duplicates, I mean what the fuck?

I hit near £100 for the mercy skin. The last 50 boxes I bought and I get it on box number 5. After that it was 45 boxes of dupes.

Prelude.

Playing as much Genji as I can before the nurf. Just when I was getting really good too. ]:
If you didn't build your muscle memory over hours and hours of play, you're not gonna be affected by the nerf, excluding the ult nerf of course. On the contrary, it's most likely gonna be a buff since his shuriken are gonna be affected by the projectiles' hitbox change.

duckroll

Just did 2 solo queues. Already seriously want to die. What's the fucking point? Both games were KotH, both games I get matched with 5 other solo players who have no interest in talking or playing on the point, or really doing anything together, no one wants to pick support so I have to do it, and both times the other team is made up of groups of 3s and 2s clearly working together. Why matchmake like this? Who wants to play games like this? Fuck everything.

zoukka

Fuck RNG. Fuck it right off.

Urgh FML.

See Blizzard? SEE?

It's just cosmetics right?! You have brought a man to his knees and robbed him of his (summer games) dreams! Enjoy the taste of his tears do you?! You monsters!

Antiwhippy

Join us on PTR ranked.

BTW the more I play zen the more I feel like he's still fucking broken. Not as much as before but 30% is still a pretty big health debuff.

The only thing that gets me salty about quickplay anymore is when the enemy team basically has a completely unstopped payload push from start to finish (holy shit how did we get steamrolled) and when we lose the game and average players say 'You guys suck' or '[All Chat] My fucking team'. I feel the same way sometimes, but I don't say shit because I acknowledge that the loss is probably at least partly my fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom