• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I was talking about simple 1 Vs 1 counters, if we factor everyone else, then Genji can be killed easily with a McCree besides the Winston and that does also factor in the composition of the team and the map.

Why would you be talking about simple 1v1 counters if your point is that people simply didn't know how to counter him? People do know how to counter him. I see counterpicks when Genjis show up all the time. Not always obviously, but often enough, and I'm a shit-tier player. That doesn't mean Genji in the hands a decent player isn't a huge problem. The fact that two of his nerfs are actually correcting unintended benefits exploiting the cancelling system in the game says a lot.

Reaper is perfectly fine. He needs the extra health and escape since he's one of the slowest characters in the game, and he also has to get really up close for his best damage output, while all the other DPS can stay away.

Yea McCree 's stun + FTH buff has kept Reaper contained to a good spot. He fills his role perfectly, doesn't need a change at all.

finalflame

I was talking about simple 1 Vs 1 counters, if we factor everyone else, then Genji can be killed easily with a McCree besides the Winston and that does also factor in the composition of the team and the map.

You've oversimplifying a complex problem. Blizzard has an insane amount of data on hero gameplay and does not just make changes because people have knee-jerk reactions to them in forums. The reactions across the community are what cause a need for investigation, but beyond that, they can definitely quantify whether a real issue exists or not.

Where this data matters, which is in full team compositions that people are actually playing across skill levels, Blizzard definitely found information to supported the need for him to be readjusted. The PTR exists to evaluate data on whether those adjustments got Genji on par with what they expect from him as a balanced hero. If so, he will not be readjusted. If it made him too weak, they will adjust it back in some way.

But there is absolutely no way he is going back to his original kit, no matter how many "he can be countered" hypothetical scenarios come up. If he could, in fact, be countered, then the data would've showed that more often than not that happens, at least at high level play, and maybe no adjustment was necessary. But that's clearly not the case as we're sitting here discussing the adjustments Blizzard made.

I'm also not saying their data is an all-seeing god-eye, but to think so arrogantly that YOU know better than a LARGE portion of the user base and Blizzard who decided the adjustments were necessary is just absurd. Reconsider your hard and shallow stance that "he can be countered but nobody knows how except me and maybe a handful of other people, so all his adjustments should be reverted".

SCB3

Yea McCree 's stun + FTH buff has kept Reaper contained to a good spot. He fills his role perfectly, doesn't need a change at all.

Soldier 76 beats him at distance and Tracer outdoes up up close with her teleports, I only find Reaper a threat as Mercy and Winston tbh

Pooya

Maybe because it's new still, the new map visually feels cluttered compared with other maps. It's not as easy to recognize some stuff, other maps look very clean. They put more detail into this which kinda makes it worse to play and adjust...

Genji is absolutely not easily countered by McCree.

Soldier 76 beats him at distance and Tracer outdoes up up close with her teleports, I only find Reaper a threat as Mercy and Winston tbh

I mean he's definitely a character to be feared if he flanks. If a Reaper is suddenly behind the team he can take out 3-4 people without even popping an ult. But that's supposed to happen, it's the whole point of the character.

If you are a ranged character and see Reaper coming then you should never die.

Azoor

Why would you be talking about simple 1v1 counters if your point is that people simply didn't know how to counter him? People do know how to counter him. I see counterpicks when Genjis show up all the time. Not always obviously, but often enough, and I'm a shit-tier player. That doesn't mean Genji in the hands a decent player isn't a huge problem. The fact that two of his nerfs are actually correcting unintended benefits exploiting the cancelling system in the game says a lot.

I'm aware of that, and even after that I don't think that Genji was THAT big of a problem.

You've oversimplifying a complex problem. Blizzard has an insane amount of data on hero gameplay and does not just make changes because people have knee-jerk reactions to them in forums. The reactions across the community are what cause a need for investigation, but beyond that, they can definitely quantify whether a real issue exists or not.

Where this data matters, which is in full team compositions that people are actually playing across skill levels, Blizzard definitely found information to supported the need for him to be readjusted. The PTR exists to evaluate data on whether those adjustments got Genji on par with what they expect from him as a balanced hero. If so, he will not be readjusted. If it made him too weak, they will adjust it back in some way.

But there is absolutely no way he is going back to his original kit, no matter how many "he can be countered" hypothetical scenarios come up. If he could, in fact, be countered, then the data would've showed that more often than not that happens, at least at high level play, and maybe no adjustment was necessary. But that's clearly not the case as we're sitting here discussing the adjustments Blizzard made.

I'm also not saying their data is an all-seeing god-eye, but to think so arrogantly that YOU know better than a LARGE portion of the user base and Blizzard who decided the adjustments were necessary is just absurd. Reconsider your hard and shallow stance that "he can be countered but nobody knows how except me and maybe a handful of other people, so all his adjustments should be reverted".

I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

What you said was a argumentum ad populum fallacy dude, just because a lot of people believe in something doesn't mean it's true, nor have I ever said I know better than anyone else, and Blizzard having a lot of data doesn't mean they'll make the right decision. I'm sorry if I sounded arrogant, but I still disagree.

I'm aware of that, and even after that I don't think that Genji was THAT big of a problem.

Yet a lot of high level/professional players, including many of those playing Genji, said his ultimate was too powerful.
The fact it outlasted a Zenyatta ultimate in duration is kind of ridiculous, especially considering that Zenyatta cannot protect all of his teammates unless they all bunch up around him which is a bad idea once Zenyatta's ult wears off, and the fact that using a support ultimate has been the only way to reliably counter Genji's sword.

Rad-

Speaking of Mccree I'm not that good with him but I'm definitely noticing how little damage he does to Pharah post nerf on console.

RIP in pieces balanced McSniper cowboy. You were my favorite hero in the history of OW.

And welcome treelog Hanzel. I shall learn your Shimada ways now.

DwuflL9.gif

darklin0

Banned
Yet a lot of high level/professional players, including many of those playing Genji, said his ultimate was too powerful.
The fact it outlasted a Zenyatta ultimate in duration is kind of ridiculous, especially considering that Zenyatta cannot protect all of his teammates unless they all bunch up around him which is a bad idea once Zenyatta's ult wears off, and the fact that using a support ultimate has been the only way to reliably counter Genji's sword.

If Zen is standing in one spot waiting for your team to group in to no die then that is on Zen. He should be on Genji so that you cover teammates who are outside the field. Plus if your team can't kill the Genji while under Zen ult then that speaks more about your team than Genji's strength.

Azoor

I've read these comments, and after reading through his abilities again, I admit that I might be wrong about what I said about him.

I retract my statement.

If Zen is standing in one spot waiting for your team to group in to no die then that is on Zen. He should be on Genji so that you cover teammates who are outside the field. Plus if your team can't kill the Genji while under Zen ult then that speaks more about your team than Genji's strength.

Clearly professional teams are absolute trash since it's quite rare they're able to kill an ulting Genji.
Genji's sword has been used to force out a support ult (in the current meta that is usually Zen's, but sometimes Lucio's if Zen's is on cooldown) for quite a while now, and the only counter for it has been for one of the supports to wait for Genji to ult, since he would otherwise get way too many significant picks.

I'm gonna use this absence of Ranked to get better at Widow and Ana. They are the only two characters that I am utter shit with. Although I'm on console, so this is going to be very difficult.

peakish

Ran around on Eichenwalde a bit as Pharah. First choke seems tight but attackers have a big advantage with respawn times and health packs on their side. Pharah can get over one of the buildings with her boost and some elbow grease for a flank/distraction. The rest of the map is crazy with so many routes and a cool area to fight in around the tower. Even with the good sniping position there seems to be many ways for a team to quickly run into a side tunnel with a boost or a Rein shield, especially going left and either going below or up top towards the roof to pick the fight.

On top of that it looks amazing and even has the woodpecker sound from the Bastion short. Nice detail!

Clearly professional teams are absolute trash since it's quite rare they're able to kill an ulting Genji.
Genji's sword has been used to force out a support ult (in the current meta that is usually Zen's, but sometimes Lucio's if Zen's is on cooldown) for quite a while now, and the only counter for it has been for one of the supports to wait for Genji to ult, since he would otherwise get way too many significant picks.

This. The ESL matches this weekend are a pretty good indicator that something needed to change with Genji.

Wipes or near team wipes were far more common when a Genji ult came out. When someone whiffed one, it was a pretty big deal.

Like when Kyb (I think it was him) was in the jail with his sword out and the commentator made that awful joke about there "not being any criminals around."

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Look at it this way: Now you're 2/5th's closer to getting a legendary of your choice!!@!!
Only getting 200 is such bullshit.

I'm sitting on over 2000, saving some for Reinhardt skin and some emotes. The thing is there's a lot of emotes I want but it takes so long to generate credits that I don't really want to spend them. And since I play nearly everyone, unfortunately, there's plenty I'd like to buy.

Was doing very well as Symmetra on defense on the new map. The first choke point and the path along the bridge is turret heaven for her.

Also can I join the crowd of this is the best map ever?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Was doing very well as Symmetra on defense on the new map. The first choke point and the path along the bridge is turret heaven for her.

Also can I join the crowd of this is the best map ever?

It reminds me a lot more of a TF2 map which is what(maps) disappointed me the most about Overwatch. Very few lanes and side passages. Maybe those play better with an e-sports crowd, but it's very, very boring. This seems to have a ton, like a TF2 map would.

I'm waiting for Sombra before spending any more of my 2k credits I think. I might indulge in getting one of the new laugh or sit emotes, but probably not. Glad I don't like the new Rein skin all that much. :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Since they have looped emotes now, Winston's Peanut Butter needs to be changed to that.
Symmetra and bastion will be defense meta for this new map.

Hanzo shines real hard in it. There's a ton of small enclosed spaces the attacking team runs through and the vertical scaling makes him extremely mobile.

matmanx1

It feels like this much of the time, doesn't it? However, clearly more people are using Quick Play to practice heroes they aren't comfortable with and might never have played before. In my perfect world Blizzard would have an algorithm that looked at the amount of time you had spent playing any given character + whatever else they use and adjust your MMR accordingly.

If you were fairly new but wanted to practice against other people then you'd be put up against other "new" players for a little while until you had some hours under your belt.

Ramirez

The downtime between seasons is way too long. They either need to introduce another playlist with no hero stacking, or change QP. I have no desire to play QP, the matches are shit.

Beckx

The downtime between seasons is way too long. They either need to introduce another playlist with no hero stacking, or change QP. I have no desire to play QP, the matches are shit.

yeah, kaplan said a couple of days ago that they would hope to have less downtime between seasons in the future, and that the rework of competitive is party what's driving this delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom