• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayhawk

It feels like this much of the time, doesn't it? However, clearly more people are using Quick Play to practice heroes they aren't comfortable with and might never have played before. In my perfect world Blizzard would have an algorithm that looked at the amount of time you had spent playing any given character + whatever else they use and adjust your MMR accordingly.

If you were fairly new but wanted to practice against other people then you'd be put up against other "new" players for a little while until you had some hours under your belt.

How is an algorithm going to predict what hero players decide to choose after the matchmaking when they are also free to change heroes in the match as often as they want?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The downtime between seasons is way too long. They either need to introduce another playlist with no hero stacking, or change QP. I have no desire to play QP, the matches are shit.

They have huge changes for season 2.

People need to test before it can go live you know.

The downtime between seasons is way too long. They either need to introduce another playlist with no hero stacking, or change QP. I have no desire to play QP, the matches are shit.

A competitive mode between seasons that is unranked would be best IMO. I've been putting myself through the torment of what QP can turn into just to grind loot boxes for skins. It has definitely been interesting to say the least.

Last night I got matched up with a group of 4 and another random on attack on King's Row. The random then auto picked Hanzo and the 4man started asking him to change and only he can prevent what is about to happen after he said nothing they all picked Hanzo and said this is his fault and only he can change it. Well he didn't and they proceeded to die over and over so the random switches to Genji then they all switch to Genji typing the same things. The guy eventually switches to Rein with about 30 seconds left in the match and we actually ended up going on to win the game.

Another game last night I got matched up against a 6 man somehow and they ran 5 winstons and a lucio. I was messing around with Zenyatta that game as no one on my team picked healer and we eventually won due to discord orb use. I was surprised that we managed to win that one.

I feel like I don't learn anything playing QP and I really wish that competitive was a mode that was in year round regardless of if the season is going on or not.

Beckx

BTW, here's kaplan's post on downtime:

This is good feedback. We're glad you guys enjoyed Season 1. We're really hoping Season 2 is markedly better than Season 1.

It's also good for us to evaluate the "downtime" between seasons since this is the first time we're experiencing it. Our original goal was to try 2 weeks (it ended up being 3 for various reasons).

Perhaps we will schedule less downtime between Season 2 and Season 3 if that feels better (so long as we don't have to do major changes that require a big time investment from us).

Would love to hear more thoughts on the downtime.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748596011#post-10

Ana is quite possibly the the highest skill ceiling char to use. Being good with her is not an overnight process and expect many people to hate you just for picking her.

counter that hate by staying unscoped and continuously shooting your team in the back & boosting with healing grenades, take damage opportunities second.

it's the poor man's widowmaker Anas that drive me crazy.

Ramirez

They have huge changes for season 2.

People need to test before it can go live you know.

Of course, but honestly, how hard would it be to put in an unranked playlist with competitive rules? Mainly no stacking. They could throw that up in no time. You get people used to a way of playing, then take it away for weeks, just annoying.

And it's not as if QP match quality was a mystery until competitive went away, it's been horrible forever.

Beckx

new change on PTR, they loosened up the grouping restriction, which should make some people here happy. The compromise here seems reasonable.

We just patched the PTR with a change that loosened the grouping restrictions in Competitive Play for Season 2.

For Master and Grandmaster: You must be within 500 Skill Rating of your groupmates.

For Diamond and below: You must be within 1000 Skill Rating of your groupmates (previously this was 500)

The goal here is to loosen the restrictions somewhat to allow for more grouping while preventing some exploitable behavior and matchmaking issues that are caused by high-skill players who group with lower skill players.

Mostly I don't mind hero stacking because a lot of times in QP people don't stack all that much, at least in my games, and if they do it's usually a DPS which isn't too bad.
And then there's games where the enemy team defends and stacks 3 Bastions and my team doesn't know how to get past it (and me as one player who does can't beat all 3 of them) and I want to die.

That said, I always feel so frustrated if I pick a more niche character like Junkrat, Torbjörn or Symmetra first, and some other guy picks the same character although there's no tank or healer and I am pretty much forced to play that class - again. :/

Beckx

had an opposing team go with a 4 winston 2 lucio stack as attack on Hanamura

we wrecked them, it was glorious

all those huge hitboxes, i ended up with a 10 kill streak as Mercy

Sn4ke_911

Of course, but honestly, how hard would it be to put in an unranked playlist with competitive rules? Mainly no stacking. They could throw that up in no time. You get people used to a way of playing, then take it away for weeks, just annoying.

And it's not as if QP match quality was a mystery until competitive went away, it's been horrible forever.

They made huge balance changes with some heroes. For example Genji got a huge nerf.

You can't start competitive season 2 if nothing has been tested.

Alright, time to see if I can get the Naptime trophy and then go Genji only afterwards.

I got both Ana achievements, and I'm not even really good at her or in general. I feel they're among the easier ones to grab. I think I got the Naptime one off of a Roadhog or a Bastion. Maybe a McCree. Those are pretty easy to land.

I don't think I ever use Ana's scope when I'm healing, it feels better to use when unscoped, I sometimes use the scope twhen I see a low health target running away though.

I've had that happen a few times 2 weeks ago, don't really know what causes it, but my guess would be something with the target dying at a specific time in the animation, really annoying because I had to slowly kill myself.

So I had a match on Gibraltar. I was defending at the end of the third checkpoint. I go to the right in the corner room with the big health pack. Well little did I know, it's a small health pack now!!

Blizzard please

Sn4ke_911

2016-08-2223_51_48-ch5jue5.png

I don't know why it took me so long to buy Mercy's "I'm not a miracle worker", but that's going to be my response to every "I need healing" I get from now on.

I use the "On a scale of 1 to 10, how is your pain?" one. :p

So I had a match on Gibraltar. I was defending at the end of the third checkpoint. I go to the right in the corner room with the big health pack. Well little did I know, it's a small health pack now!!

Blizzard please

That's been changed quite a while ago! With the Ana patch I think, even.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Aw yiss 2 legendaries AND BMX Reaper in one box. I knew going for one more loot box before the Summer event ended was a good idea.

CqftaKoXgAAo45L.jpg

BiggNife

So is the PTR just totally fucked at the moment? I tried playing the Eichenwald Brawl with a couple friends and we weren't able to play a full game because every single time multiple people would get kicked off the server and then it would re-instance. This happened like five or six times.

So is the PTR just totally fucked at the moment? I tried playing the Eichenwald Brawl with a couple friends and we weren't able to play a full game because every single time multiple people would get kicked off the server and then it would re-instance. This happened like five or six times.

Seems to be. Getting the same thing.

Zeliard

Hope they fix it soon, PTR comp started getting really fun for me after placements. Far fewer people just randomly dropping off, and it was generally treated as real comp in terms of communication etc.

Ramirez

They made huge balance changes with some heroes. For example Genji got a huge nerf.

You can't start competitive season 2 if nothing has been tested.

Um, I said I understood that. That doesn't mean they can't introduce an unranked version of the competitive playlist in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom