• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really feel bad for new players who only got into the game now and can't get into competitive even if the season started.

They had to level up to 25 before entering competitive anyway.

Also i feel like that's too low of a barrier.

Apathy

people would complain if it were set higher, but i agree, it should be higher.

The new map choke points are so annoying when you're attacking. The castle door is the worst if you get the payload through and the door closes behind you and your team dies, trying to get back in through 2 tiny passages is so fucking hard, specially with hanzo's just spamming the shit out of them

duckroll

The match when we were team up stopping the payload was really good. I almost thought we were going to lose too

Haha, I think that was the game where sonicmj's Zarya saved the match when the payload was at the end at least twice with his Graviton Surge. Somehow it was always there right when it was most needed. King's Row right?

Azoor

people would complain if it were set higher, but i agree, it should be higher.

The new map choke points are so annoying when you're attacking. The castle door is the worst if you get the payload through and the door closes behind you and your team dies, trying to get back in through 2 tiny passages is so fucking hard, specially with hanzo's just spamming the shit out of them

And you suggest it should be 40 for example?

psyfi

Banned
It creates a situation where you really have no control over when you can use your defensive ult. Instead of being able to use it for other purposes, you are forced to hold onto it for the sole purpose of preventing a single person from potentially wiping your team. That just makes using your ult uninteresting
I see your point, and I agree that it gets kind of predictable, but I still find it a lot of fun. I love pulling off a perfectly timed sound barrier to counter an incoming offensive ult. Plus I don't think Lucio players are necessarily looking for big plays. They're there to help out, support. I dunno, I really don't mind it.

Now I just rely on myself most of the time.
That's the only way to play Lucio solo, really.

PTR changes feel really good.

With 1hl in effect Hanzo does not feel like bullshit to play against.
Genji can no longer triple jump, but the projectile buff really helps him out when he isn't ulting and his ult still easily kills 3 people if you don't shut him down. The moment to moment damage increase is worth way more than an extra 30 burst as well, as you are more likely to hit more shuriken for the same damage as your melee now.
Mercy is very viable on both sides.
D.Va is still pretty much the same.
Zenyatta still feels really good and is still a very strong pick.
The defense heroes in general are very solid with the projectile reversion, esp on the new map. Junkrat and Mei in particular are going to be very strong in the meta on this map.

Ana is really good on the new map on defense, but I would argue she is too good. Her ult definitely needs more charge time on it because it is popping every push, and there's nothing you can really do if the whole team is coordinated and drops on you with it. Her damage also feels like it's a bit much atm. I'd like to see what she feels like if you drop her dps to 70-75 and buff her sleep dart with reduction in delay before firing.

The new map is great, and it feels nice to have a defense favoring payload map. Not the biggest fan of the first choke being a very slightly better version of hanamura, but for now it still seems like something you can push through.

Apathy

And you suggest it should be 40 for example?

40 seems fine, I think even 35 might be fine to start. 25 is really low to get a good grasp of the game. Remember that the first 20 levels go by super fast and they dont start to go slow till 21.

Olengie

I see your point, and I agree that it gets kind of predictable, but I still find it a lot of fun. I love pulling off a perfectly timed sound barrier to counter an incoming offensive ult. Plus I don't think Lucio players are necessarily looking for big plays. They're there to help out, support. I dunno, I really don't mind it.

That's the only way to play Lucio solo, really.

I feel like I'm doing most of the work in defending/capturing the objective a lot of times. Especially when the team goes stupid and decides to run in without me. Then it's just sound pulse and jumping all over the place with speed boost on until they come back.

duckroll

40 seems fine, I think even 35 might be fine to start. 25 is really low to get a good grasp of the game. Remember that the first 20 levels go by super fast and they dont start to go slow till 21.

I totally disagree with this mindset. 25 is perfect. Having a higher barrier doesn't improve the game for anyone. A player who is lvl25 and actually wants to learn the game more can learn a lot and perform well on Comp. A player who doesn't will still be a liability at lvl250. The perception here is that you want less "trash" in ranked, but that trash are mostly stubborn dumbfucks who are lvl76 but still pick Hanzos, attack Torbs, and do jack shit.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
all level 300s on an enemy team with the most obvious wannabe tourney team and golden guns on the weekly brawl

it's not a scrim, brah

darklin0

Banned
I've been here since Day 0 with a ton of dank Overwatch memes. I'd say I've more than earned it.

Eg0RtBL.png

I feel a deep uncleanliness within me after this. I hope your happy, you monster.

Animator

Out of the 10 times I played the new map I think I have seen attackers win once and that was only because the enemy team was super stupid and had no healer at the end and even then we had to coordinate a bunch of ults to push through. I think the new map will be nicknamed "Drawwalde" pretty soon when it's in comp.

Well, I'm fuming. Got my 5th legendary summer drop and it was the Red Zarya for the fourth time. I'd have been happier not getting a legendary at all.

NimbusD

finally played ptr, new map is insta-fave. Playing reaper is so fun on it. can pull some crazy shenanigans. lure people down alleys and have your way with them.

Stayed up late to get one more loot box, got lucio's summer games skin, Eh. It's ok I guess. I just wanted the mccree one so I guess that means I can't have it.

Summer Games loot boxes ended now then?

I got a few boxes yesterday, managed to get past the 100 mark to get boxes at a consistent rate. Really hoping for that D.Va skin.
In my penultimate box I got a duplicate D.Va emote and a duplicate D.Va victory pose. It's like they know exactly what to do to wind me up. The bastards!

Did manage to get one of the Lucio skins in my final box though. That's something I suppose.

Blu(e)

Since the Summer Games started I was able to get

Summer skins
-Nihon Genji
-Eidgenossin Mercy
-Tricolore Widowmaker
-Both Tracer legendaries
-Both Zarya legendaries
-Striker Lucio

Non summer
-Antique Bastion
-Sparrow Genji
-Firefighter Mei
-Sharkbait Roadhog
-Architech and Devi Symmetra

Pretty okay haul.

Was playing the usual random / trash quick plays last night, when suddenly i notice my duo team + 4 randoms are facing a full 6 team (with a level 500+ & 400+ player).
I then notice that all 4 random members of my team have golden guns so i switch to my golden gun Zarya and proceed to have the most intense quick play game of KOTH ever!

Mendrox

Out of the 10 times I played the new map I think I have seen attackers win once and that was only because the enemy team was super stupid and had no healer at the end and even then we had to coordinate a bunch of ults to push through. I think the new map will be nicknamed "Drawwalde" pretty soon when it's in comp.

Whaaaat... I played Eichenwald yesterday too. 6 matches on attack...we've won them all. People in chat even said that this map is not balanced for defense. I love the new map, because there are so many good spots for anyone.

peakish

Whaaaat... I played Eichenwald yesterday too. 6 matches on attack...we've won them all. People in chat even said that this map is not balanced for defense. I love the new map, because there are so many good spots for anyone.
I also mostly won on attack. The one game we lost had some people on my team complaining about the last spawn and that it's a long way to run back to the point. I don't know about that but even then I don't think it's a big problem to have a map be defense favored. It's payload so furthest distance wins in competitive.

Antiwhippy

I won a lot on defense.

I even got like gold elims regularly as mei on defense!

There are a lot of nasty little spots where they can't escape the blizzard.

duckroll

Played 4 games on Eichenwald yesterday. Lost 3, won 1. I feel it is definitely harder on attack on PTR because everyone is fucking around and it is easier for the defending team to just have a dedicated spawncamp while the attackers split up to "investigate" the map and die one by one. It should be pretty different on Live once people get the "new map" feeling out of their system.

Bollocks

quickplay is unplayable solo as of right now, join, enter the game, attack, 2 hanzos and of course the payload barely pushed, because I'm an idiot I don't back out immediately but select Reinhardt knowing very well that it's useless because we won't make it anyway but the competitive spirit gets me.

next game, hanamura attack, defenders push so hard that our reaper takes the point unnoticed.
volskaya attack, play against 6 d.va's

I don't know where it went down the shitter in the last couple of weeks, once I hit 25 I never went back to quickplay, I'm 45 now and holy hell.

Antiwhippy

So I backfilled into an eichenwalde game that was near the final and the team is about to lose, and won because blizzard is so fucking dumb in the final stretch haha.

Mei is so bae on this map.

I agree with Blizzard, FoTM Genji was some broken shit. I find the Hanzo changes questionable though since his hitboxes are extremely generous and easy to hit people with.

duckroll

The hitbox issue is going to be an ongoing back and forth problem for Overwatch until Blizzard figures out how to revamp the entire thing. Hanzo just happens to be the hero who benefits or suffers the most from the inherent problems of the projectile system.

Anne

Been doing some aim stuff the last couple days. Worked out I guess cause I'm starting to land flicks with McCree consistently. Feels good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Honestly, Tracer's more busted than Zarya and is as busted as Genji with no counters in the game except one. Her rdiiculously generous mobility makes all of her supposed 'counters' into a complete joke aside from a McCree that hasn't used his flashbang for someone else.

Genji could at least get killed by Winstons at any skill level. Tracers are unkillable in the majority of situations. My only hope is the projectile change makes a dent in her.

duckroll

Honestly, Tracer's more busted than Zarya and is as busted as Genji with no counters in the game except one. Her rdiiculously generous mobility makes all of her supposed 'counters' into a complete joke aside from a McCree that hasn't used his flashbang for someone else.

Genji could at least get killed by Winstons at any skill level. Tracers are unkillable in the majority of situations. My only hope is the projectile change makes a dent in her.

The real counter to Tracer isn't any specific character, but understanding how her character "works". This is easier said than done, but I think I've mostly gotten the hang of it now, so killing Tracers are a lot easier. Instead of trying to fight them when they show up, you just let them do whatever it is they think they are doing, and then you turn around and point at the direction the Tracer came from, count to 2 and start shooting. 8/10 times you'll get at least a few body shots in before she tries to run off, it might be enough to kill her, if you get a headshot though, you'll definitely kill her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom