• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

Is doomfist that black guy on the the poster in numbani on the payload objective defense point? Is that the only image of him?

In coordinated play genji's ult gets shut down hard if he isn't backed by sound barrier/trancendance or isn't in the chaos of a team fight, and even then at my level I've seen plenty of genjis get shut down before even 2 kills.
Uh, that is a coordinated play.

So what your saying is Genji's ult can get shut down if the team doesn't coordinate with it?

genji's ult by itself works best as reactive to a situation, but zarya's ult is proactive in starting the engages. Also rein's shield stands no chance to a sustained attack in a black hole. Dva's is too narrow and is countered by zarya herself who should be fully charged by then.
I've seen plenty of Zayra ults get shut down thanks to a Reinhardt shield and a D.va matrix. And I've seen plenty of Zayra's that use their ult even though they are not fully charged.

Don't get me wrong Zayra ult is a great but doesn't have the single killing potential of Genji. Zayra needs her team with her to concentrate fire together while Genji just needs his team to break the enemy's defensive line.

R0ckman

Nah, Whippy is right. If a team gets sucked into Zarya ult they are going to wipe unless they defensive ult. DM and shields don't matter when 6 people are hitting from different angles. You basically have to blow Zen ult to get out of a graviton that lands, and even then Tracer blows that up pretty hard.

Meanwhile Genji needs to be set up to pull sword, he can still be shot out of it, can still be CCed, needs to be taking risks to continue getting kills with it, etc. Sword is still really strong, but it has risks and requires more set up. Zarya is really just catch multiple people in it and they are forced out.

Rediit were the ones to say Genji was destroying tournaments (he wasn't) and that Lucio wasn't a problem outside of his healing.

Lucio is gamebreaking on a good team, we basically skipped choke points with him tonight.

R0ckman

Btw whats so specially about reddit? I basically was FORCED into accepting it as relevant about 2 years ago, never knew about it before then. Why do devs listen to it so much?

Btw whats so specially about reddit? I basically was FORCED into accepting it as relevant about 2 years ago, never knew about it before then. Why do devs listen to it so much?
Who knows. I don't understand either. They have no understanding about how the game actually works. Anne even said they thought Lucios fucking healing was the problem. What a joke.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Quickplay shenangians are both incredibly frustrating and amusing.

tumblr_mlzhgsWXBT1rz86gfo1_500.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Uh, that is a coordinated play.

So what your saying is Genji's ult can get shut down if the team doesn't coordinate with it?

I've seen plenty of Zayra ults get shut down thanks to a Reinhardt shield and a D.va matrix. And I've seen plenty of Zayra's that use their ult even though they are not fully charged.

Don't get me wrong Zayra ult is a great but doesn't have the single killing potential of Genji. Zayra needs her team with her to concentrate fire together while Genji just needs his team to break the enemy's defensive line.

Thing is in coordinated play trancendance will be met with another trancendance. Same with sound barrier. That's the only real ways to counter play those ults. Zarya however can group them together for burst damage ults which can ignore trancendance. That's why her and tracer are such a popular combo.

Again, shield will not survive long enough to protect the team in a black hole, and dva herself will get stripped out of meka by zarya.

cyborg009

Banned
Yeah it was fun. When it switched around the comp went to shit and we just rolled with it. Couldn't push in Hanamura B since none of the pubs outside my group wanted to play another tank. Could have used a Zarya lol. Oh well! We also had a Genji who seemed allergic to chokepoints and would just run away instead of flanking. Good times.

The match when we were team up stopping the payload was really good. I almost thought we were going to lose too

I think you mean just Widowmaker if you played PS4. I've seen one good Widowmaker in 60 hours. The rest of the time its just playing handicapped and down a teammate. We need character bans in competitive on PS4 just to stop stupid teammates from taking her.

PC its the same thing but its only rare to see them on comp.

Satch

Banned
i dont really get this whole "u need to use your ult to counter this other ult and thats bad" thing thats been part of balance discussion in here and on reddit

maybe its because i come from dota but im just like... duh? using ur abilities to counter others is the point

if someone could fill me in on why using transcendence against an ulting genji to make sure he gets no kills is a bad thing then id love to hear it, sincerely

R0ckman

The match when we were team up stopping the payload was really good. I almost thought we were going to lose too

PC its the same thing but its only rare to see them on comp.

I have never seen a good widow on PC until recently and thankfully they were not in a group. I was able to go Winston and even if I died almost killing her a couple of engages, it stopped her from killing my team for a bit as no other extremely noteworthy players were on either side so it was basically a regular match playing out while I was going for that booty.

Anne

i dont really get this whole "u need to use your ult to counter this other ult and thats bad" thing thats been part of balance discussion in here and on reddit

maybe its because i come from dota but im just like... duh? using ur abilities to counter others is the point

if someone could fill me in on why using transcendence against an ulting genji to make sure he gets no kills is a bad thing then id love to hear it, sincerely

I don't think it's bad at all, I just talk about it being a thing that has to happen.

Thing is in coordinated play trancendance will be met with another trancendance. Same with sound barrier. That's the only real ways to counter play those ults. Zarya however can group them together for burst damage ults which can ignore trancendance. That's why her and tracer are such a popular combo.
You're actually proving what I said in my post right. You're saying that Zayra needs her teams ults to combo hers to get the kill. Genji doesn't need that requirement. His killing potential is not limited to if his teammates have their ults ready.

Btw, a sound barrier can block a tracer ult. Tracers ult does 400 damage. Lucios ult gives a 500 shield.

Again, shield will not survive long enough to protect the team in a black hole, and dva herself will get stripped out of meka by zarya.
Why not? You act like a 2000 health shield is small. It can buy the team valuable time to survive the ult.

ohkay

It creates a situation where you really have no control over when you can use your defensive ult. Instead of being able to use it for other purposes, you are forced to hold onto it for the sole purpose of preventing a single person from potentially wiping your team. That just makes using your ult uninteresting

Chorazin

Fuuuuuck me. Last night I'm killing tons of dudes, multiple kills left and right, 2x+ E/D minimum, feeling good. Tonight no matter who I played I was just getting shut down. Most matches I was lucky enough to end up in the positive by an elimination. 😓

Apathy

hate when grouping people have a clearly new person that has not played the game trying to play hanzo. what a waste of 10 minutes

Antiwhippy

You're actually proving what I said in my post right. You're saying that Zayra needs her teams ults to combo hers to get the kill. Genji doesn't need that requirement. His killing potential is not limited to if his teammates have their ults ready.

Btw, a sound barrier can block a tracer ult. Tracers ult does 400 damage. Lucios ult gives a 500 shield.

Why not? You act like a 2000 health shield is small. It can buy the team valuable time to survive the ult.

I'm saying his ult dues though, because with nothing to back it up he can't regularly survive to make a regular impact the way zarya's ult does.

Also a good zarya will watch the ult usage of the enemy team. Sounds barrier is so often used to initiate fights that it's not afterwards guaranteed to be up for blackhole.

Reinhardt shield isn't going to save you from a reaper ult in the middle nor a tracer pulse bomb in the group.

Anne

An ult that on a 200HP character that requires him to fight and be CCed and countered pretty easily by another ult is somehow better than an ult that instantly stacks an entire team together and creates damage. Let alone an ult that can still allow a combo to blow through trance that is much harder to avoid.

I get that sword is crazy and can lead to stuff, but in more organized teams you need better conditions than "the enemy team is stacked".

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Quick play stay matching me up with the least aggressive teammates of all time paired with the most aggressive enemies.

I'm saying his ult dues though, because with nothing to back it up he can't regularly survive to make a regular impact the way zarya's ult does.
Not really. You said it yourself, all he really needs is the chaos of a teamfight.

Also a good zarya will watch the ult usage of the enemy team. Sounds barrier is so often used to initiate fights that it's not afterwards guaranteed to be up for blackhole.
A good Genji will watch the ult usage of the enemy team. Hell, he can flank them and kill Kenyatta himself.

Reinhardt shield isn't going to save you from a reaper ult in the middle nor a tracer pulse bomb in the group.
Your changing your argument here. You just said in your previous post that his shield wouldn't be useful because it would break after sustained fire. Now your saying tracer or Reaper will just circumvent his shield.

So I guess his shield can help his team?

Antiwhippy

Not really. You said it yourself, all he really needs is the chaos of a teamfight.

A good Genji will watch the ult usage of the enemy team. Hell, he can flank them and kill Kenyatta himself.

Your changing your argument here. You just said in your previous post that his shield wouldn't be useful because it would break after sustained fire. Now your saying tracer or Reaper will just circumvent his shield.

So I guess his shield can help his team?

I'm saying his shield will break in sustained fire, but there are also plenty of ways to bypass it. So here's taking it on both ends. Plus rein will never have the full shield hp against a competent team.

Again, chaos of a team fight will help, but it is not a guaranteed wipe like a blackhole. It's the way you're supposed to use it but it's not fool proof. And team fights will be backed up by trancendance or sound barrier. That's just how this meta is right now.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just played my last game before the reset ends, most days I got 1 box, for a couple I got 2-3. After all of those boxes, all I got, in terms of skins, was Tracer's and it wasn't even the British version.

This event could have been cool if they had increased the drop chance so I could've actually gotten new stuff regularly.

ramyeon

This event could have been cool if they had increased the drop chance so I could've actually gotten new stuff regularly.
They did.

Summer Boxes were almost certainly tuned to be more generous especially with Legendary drops. They mentioned them being tuned differently on stream and I've seen enough anecdotal evidence to suggest this is the case. Of course at the end of the day it's still RNG.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
This event could have been cool if they let you buy the event skins with the currency they rendered useless for this event.

especially when duplicates is a thing

ramyeon

If they did, it wasn't enough because I didn't get shit or maybe I'm just the unluckiest person ever.
RNG still gonna RNG sadly.

I was getting legendary drops every other box during the event, never had that before the event started. Once or twice is coincidence but it was consistent throughout the whole duration.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
RNG still gonna RNG sadly.
Which is why I said they should've increased it to the point where RNG wouldn't have been RNG. RNG is RNG but I still somehow get a ton of sprays, they could've made the skins be fairly common but they wanted people to buy boxes.

This event could have been cool if they let you buy the event skins with the currency they rendered useless for this event.

especially when duplicates is a thing

Would've been cool, too. The whole event just felt frustrating since every box full of sprays and dupes was ten times more annoying since now I had a limited amount of time to get more.

[edit]

I was getting legendary drops every other box during the event, never had that before the event started. Once or twice is coincidence but it was consistent throughout the whole duration.

Congrats, I only got 2 and one of them wasn't an event skin. I guess Blizz forgot to give me those tuned boxes.

_woLf

They did.

Summer Boxes were almost certainly tuned to be more generous especially with Legendary drops. They mentioned them being tuned differently on stream and I've seen enough anecdotal evidence to suggest this is the case. Of course at the end of the day it's still RNG.

i dont believe you

26 boxes and didnt get a single legendary :(

Azoor

I really feel bad for new players who only got into the game now and can't get into competitive even if the season started.

Olengie

When you play as Lucio in Quick Play and no one attempts to protect you. Then you die and then you get spammed by "I need healing!"

Now I just rely on myself most of the time.

Hoped to get lucky with my last Summer Games loot box and I got Harmonious Zenyatta. Better than getting Lucio's Summer Games Emote for the 4th time.

KyleCross

I can't believe what just happened.

Had Attack on Hanamura, we steam roll the team on the first point giving us 8 whole minutes on the second point. We charge in, take the first checkpoint then suddenly get wiped out by two ults right before capping the second checkpoint.

We fail to ever get back in.

I'm still in disbelief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom