• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we'd be onto Doomfist or even the hero after Doomfist by Blizzcon.

While I'd love to see heroes more often, I think about one hero every 3-4 months seems a more reasonable expectation (so a total of 3-4 heroes a year at best). Remember that Ana came out in July. That's only about a month ago. :p

who is Doomfist?

He's mentioned in the original reveal trailer (the one in the museum), and also got some in-game references, particularly in Numbani (the payload there is in fact the Doomfist gauntlet).
There's some strong implications that he will become a playable character some time in the future.

NimbusD

I thought we'd be onto Doomfist or even the hero after Doomfist by Blizzcon.

Nha, I'm okay with characters not coming out super often. The game would change way too fast for Blizz to keep on top of balance in a good way. It'd get bloated fast.

What I DO want though, is more maps. The new one is instantly my favorite, it makes the other ones feel dinky and barren by comparison. Makes me excited for what's to come on that front.

Last summer games loot box. Can't be bothered carrying on anymore.

Got two player icons. The summer Bastion and summer Reinhardt ones. A duplicate Hanzo spray. And 500 gold.

Maybe I'll get lucky next time...

Nha, I'm okay with characters not coming out super often. The game would change way too fast for Blizz to keep on top of balance in a good way. It'd get bloated fast.

What I DO want though, is more maps. The new one is instantly my favorite, it makes the other ones feel dinky and barren by comparison. Makes me excited for what's to come on that front.

I second the idea of maps over characters.

Different aspects like verticality, chokepoints, lines of sight, etc. will all freshen up an already killer cast.

Last night I grouped up with some people to check out the new map, but while I was on the toilet the leader actually joined competetive mode so I was playing a placement match without knowing, anyone have any idea if the result of this match will transfer to the live game when season 2 starts?

Last night I grouped up with some people to check out the new map, but while I was on the toilet the leader actually joined competetive mode so I was playing a placement match without knowing, anyone have any idea if the result of this match will transfer to the live game when season 2 starts?

Take a wild guess.

Spoilers. Of course it won't.

R0ckman

who is Doomfist?

Possibly one of these designs.

Xtp0tvj.jpg

Ramirez

I'd say a new character is a bit off...you got Season 2/new map for September, then a Halloween event for October I'm sure.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
People also think hitting a scatter arrow at an engaging enemy's feet is as easy as hitting a FTH on a stunned enemy.

Those people should play Hanzo because they'd be godlike if it's as easy as they make it sound.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I would like Doomfist, if he exists, to have a charge like the Demoknight charge in TF2 where you gain increased damage at the end of your charge. And not as sluggish as Reinhardts charge.

Either way, the game desperately needs another main tank.

I don't think Doomfist is supposed to be a villain like Reaper or Widowmaker though.

There's 3 Doomfists, as the name is passed on to whomever possesses the gauntlet.

The first Doomfist, Ngumi, was apparently an actual hero, as indicated by the title "The Savior", his poster having a golden colour scheme, and him being shown with his front towards the viewer, and the sun in the background which generally symbolizes heroism and even sanctity.

The second Doomfist, Adeyemi, seems to be the evil Doomfist. His title is "The Scourge", his poster's colour scheme is toxic green, and in the background is a mushroom cloud, and we have him turning his back to the viewer, his fist raised in anger or disdain. His gauntlet also is the one that we see in the reveal trailer and in the payload on the actual Numbani map. He is most likely the one who is mentioned in the museum trailer as having fought Winston and being capable of leveling a sky scraper. He also would fit as being allied to Reaper, Widowmaker and Talon.

The third Doomfist whose name is in Omnic letters, is titled "The Successor" indicating either the current or future user of the Doomfist being this person. His poster is light blue, indicating hope, and the background shows a clenched fist pointed upwards, which usually symbolizes the fight for freedom, revolution, and also heroism, especially paired with the rays of light. Since Numbani is the country in which Omnics and humans live together in peace, we also can assume that this Successor is very likely going to be fighting for these rights of equality, and thus it's very likely he will be presented as a hero with good alignment.

I also would like to point out that the design of the gauntlet changed through its iterations. Where it was basically just a spiked knuckle ring for Ngumi, it was an actual mechanical gauntlet for Adeyemi, and takes up the entire arm on the Successor.

That said, I would not be surprised if Adeyemi was still active to some degree. For instance, he could've contracted Talon to retrieve the Doomfist gauntlet during their raid on the museum in the reveal trailer. It would make sense for him to be involved in the plot of Overwatch to some degree in the future.
In fact, I would not be surprised if we got the Successor Doomfist as the "default" design, and both Ngumi and Adeyemi as legendary skins at release.

NimbusD

Possibly one of these designs.

Xtp0tvj.jpg
All of them I believe are technically doomfist. I'm pretty sure it's whoever is currently using the doomfist who takes the mantle. The doomfist is the hand you're carrying in the payload in numbani. Those are people who have done so in the past. But I can't remember where I got that info from so I could have it wrong.

Edit: nvm fully explained already and with more details. Thanks!

R0ckman

All of them I believe are technically doomfist. I'm pretty sure it's whoever is currently using the doomfist who takes the mantle. The doomfist is the hand you're carrying in the payload in numbani. Those are people who have done so in the past. But I can't remember where I got that info from so I could have it wrong.

What would they call the character?

one of my friends just pointed out that junkrat's trap sinks into the ground while widowmaker's (much less impactful) poison mine has a strobe light

qMKXZKh.gif

Azoor

There's 3 Doomfists, as the name is passed on to whomever possesses the gauntlet.

The first Doomfist, Ngumi, was apparently an actual hero, as indicated by the title "The Savior", his poster having a golden colour scheme, and him being shown with his front towards the viewer, and the sun in the background which generally symbolizes heroism and even sanctity.

The second Doomfist, Adeyemi, seems to be the evil Doomfist. His title is "The Scourge", his poster's colour scheme is toxic green, and in the background is a mushroom cloud, and we have him turning his back to the viewer, his fist raised in anger or disdain. His gauntlet also is the one that we see in the reveal trailer and in the payload on the actual Numbani map. He is most likely the one who is mentioned in the museum trailer as having fought Winston and being capable of leveling a sky scraper. He also would fit as being allied to Reaper, Widowmaker and Talon.

The third Doomfist whose name is in Omnic letters, is titled "The Successor" indicating either the current or future user of the Doomfist being this person. His poster is light blue, indicating hope, and the background shows a clenched fist pointed upwards, which usually symbolizes the fight for freedom, revolution, and also heroism, especially paired with the rays of light. Since Numbani is the country in which Omnics and humans live together in peace, we also can assume that this Successor is very likely going to be fighting for these rights of equality, and thus it's very likely he will be presented as a hero with good alignment.

I also would like to point out that the design of the gauntlet changed through its iterations. Where it was basically just a spiked knuckle ring for Ngumi, it was an actual mechanical gauntlet for Adeyemi, and takes up the entire arm on the Successor.

That said, I would not be surprised if Adeyemi was still active to some degree. For instance, he could've contracted Talon to retrieve the Doomfist gauntlet during their raid on the museum in the reveal trailer. It would make sense for him to be involved in the plot of Overwatch to some degree in the future.
In fact, I would not be surprised if we got the Successor Doomfist as the "default" design, and both Ngumi and Adeyemi as legendary skins at release.

This is why I don't think he'll be a villain, I have a suspicion that Sombra is though because of Reaper's line.

This is why I don't think he'll be a villain, I have a suspicion that Sombra is though because of Reaper's line.

Sombra certainly is a villain, yes. In the Ana comic Old Soldiers, Reaper and Talon-affiliated criminal Hakim talk about something being of use to Sombra, indicating that she is working together with them.
The ASCII sugar skull and her being probably some sort of hacker also seem to imply that she is evil or, at the very least, morally ambiguous.

I read it, how much can you expound on that? Do you want a cookie? I have cookies.

You responded to a much less detailed post that also came quite a while after mine. :(

Reapers line?

There's a datamined voiceline tied to the Dorado map where he says "Where's Sombra when you need her?"

Prelude.

one of my friends just pointed out that junkrat's trap sinks into the ground while widowmaker's (much less impactful) poison mine has a strobe light
Ignoring the massive size of the trap compared to widow's mine, you can only put the trap on the ground, while the venom mine sticks to walls so it can be concealed much more effectively and it's also triggered by proximity.

I want an ability that resets all cooldowns for all nearby teammates. Seems too strong to be a normal ability and too weak to be an ult. Maybe like a super long cool down or a really fast charge.

The pros would have a field day. Back to back speed boost and such would be pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom