• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracer, Widowmaker = gay

Soldier 76, McCree, Reaper, Hanzo = gay

Reinhardt, Torbjorn, Mercy, Mei = bisexual

it is known

edit: I would like a gay hero tho, it would fit the diversity thing they're going for and it could just be there as a nice detail. visibility is important imo

But that's my whole point. I don't understand your post. If there's basically no material on the sexuality of characters, how can you ask for representation of gay characters?

I'm not asking for representation, I'm saying that it would be nice. I even specifically said that I don't mind if there is none.
But it always makes me happy to see one or more of the minorities I belong to represented in a game, especially one as big as Overwatch. I'm not mad if it isn't or decrying the lack of them as being bad, either though.

That would seem really odd for a character to be designed around a sexuality considering sexuality is never mentioned in this game.

You can confirm and include a character's sexuality without "designing the character around it". Having a gay character does not mean that it has to be an effeminate man wearing a pink leotard, who is shooting rainbow lasers and dildo rockets out of his plush-clad gun while commenting at how firm McCree's butt looks like. A mere statement within the lore that the character is married to another person of the same gender is already enough.

I think it's cool that it's really vague so that you can form "head canon" for any character with whatever sexuality you prefer.

I agree with this though, which is why I acknowledged the lack of any sort of statement about the characters' sexuality beyond the 2 that do. I appreciate that Blizzard isn't making a big deal out of the characters' personal details and rather would put their visual design, personality and playstyle into the foreground.

What if you just replace the old characters with younger versions of the same play style.

I mean fighting games do this all time ala Soul Calibur.

Salarians

Soldier 76 is a much more enjoyable character to play as since I got this skin.
Tracer, Widowmaker = gay

Soldier 76, McCree, Reaper, Hanzo = gay

Reinhardt, Torbjorn, Mercy, Mei = bisexual

it is known

edit: I would like a gay hero tho, it would fit the diversity thing they're going for and it could just be there as a nice detail. visibility is important imo
I approve.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What if you just replace the old characters with younger versions of the same play style.

I mean fighting games do this all time ala Soul Calibur.

They already kinda did that with Ana. Plus Soldier 76 and reaper.

Which is kinda eh. If they want to do that we should get young reinhardt too.

Plesiades

They should pull an USFIV and have the option to choose a character version for Quick Play. August '16 PTR Hanzo? Season 1 Genji? We have them all!

Imagine us having 2 characters that are actually married to each other and they have adorable remarks during their pre-match dialogue.

Pretty much. His Gold elite one is okay but the legendaries are all terrible.

I really like the blue visor on the epic one with the painted-on skull face.

duckroll

Speaking of pre-match dialogue. Did you know that Tracer dupes on a team actually talk to each other sometimes? It's super weird!

Salarians

Imagine us having 2 characters that are actually married to each other and they have adorable remarks during their pre-match dialogue.
But what if Mercy/Genji, Symmetra/Junkrat, Widow/Tracer, Reinhardt/Torbjorn, and D.Va/Lucio all got married and all had cute dialogue together

Pretty much. His Gold elite one is okay but the legendaries are all terrible.
But seeing his cute face in the selection screen fills me with vigor and inspires me to play better!

Speaking of pre-match dialogue. Did you know that Tracer dupes on a team actually talk to each other sometimes? It's super weird!

Yeah, I've noticed it before.

My favourite interactions all are pretty much tied to Ana. I love her and Reinhardt complimenting each other at how well they look for their age, and the one where McCree goes "Always an honour fighting by your side, ma'am", and Ana responds with "Oh you've always been a charmer~."

omg <3

imagine the kill voice lines when they are on the enemy team...

"I told you to clean up your darn socks off of the living room floor!"

Skii

I'm not asking for representation, I'm saying that it would be nice. I even specifically said that I don't mind if there is none.
But it always makes me happy to see one or more of the minorities I belong to represented in a game, especially one as big as Overwatch. I'm not mad if it isn't or decrying the lack of them as being bad, either though.

You can confirm and include a character's sexuality without "designing the character around it". Having a gay character does not mean that it has to be an effeminate man wearing a pink leotard, who is shooting rainbow lasers and dildo rockets out of his plush-clad gun while commenting at how firm McCree's butt looks like. A mere statement within the lore that the character is married to another person of the same gender is already enough.

I agree with this though, which is why I acknowledged the lack of any sort of statement about the characters' sexuality beyond the 2 that do. I appreciate that Blizzard isn't making a big deal out of the characters' personal details and rather would put their visual design, personality and playstyle into the foreground.

Oh sorry, I thought you wanted a character defined by their sexuality. I don't really mind if they do release the sexual orientations for each character or to introduce a new character that is gay but I'd like it to be addressed for all characters or it would be just weird. But it might upset the fan base with all the shipping lol.

Is this because she can travel in time? Like she's talking to herself from the past/future? That would be pretty cool if so!

Odrion

Banned
actually it's probably Zarya because she's the closest to a stereotype and if it's one thing Overwatch has in spades, it's stereotypes

Squire

Banned

It's great. Mercy has a dupe quote, too. Get healed/buffed as her and she might say, "So that's what that feels like!"

Veelk

Banned
You know yet another reason why Widowmaker sucks?

You line up your shot in the spawn because you can clearly see a Hanzo or whatever getting ready to shoot you back. And as soon as the door opens, your teammates just HAVE to bump into you as they pass, fucking up your shot.

It's just....a Widow's life is hard enough, you know :(

They already kinda did that with Ana. Plus Soldier 76 and reaper.

Which is kinda eh. If they want to do that we should get young reinhardt too.

I wasn't talking about that. I was talking in the terms of completely different characters with different personalities under the same play style.

EX. Taki from Soul Calibur got replaced by Natsu in SCV, several others got replaced by younger characters that have a similar play style.

You know yet another reason why Widowmaker sucks?

You line up your shot in the spawn because you can clearly see a Hanzo or whatever getting ready to shoot you back. And as soon as the door opens, your teammates just HAVE to bump into you as they pass, fucking up your shot.

It's just....a Widow's life is hard enough, you know :(

At least widows shot goes through the teammates and can still potentially make the kill.

Ana...well, that shot is useless on a full health ally.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Honestly is any character confirmed to be gay/straight/bi or any other??

In the Overwatch art thread, there's tons of parings there with sexuality all over the place. I say let them eat cake. If a character wants to be gay they can be gay. If a character wants to be trans they can be trans.

Can't imagine anyone being upset by S:76 being replaced with someone with the same kit and a brighter personality.

I would be. I love 76's no-nonsense grizzled veteran demeanour. And he's got some amazing quotes. Just like Reaper takes a jab at the edgelord stereotype, 76 exaggerates and jabs at the grumpy old soldier stereotype.

Hanzo on the other hand... God, what a dull character. Boring visually, boring personality-wise, boring lines, boring poses... everything about him is so stereotypical and one-sided.

Hanzo.

Look at him, he's a cool Japanese guy with a bow. Honourable samurai man, who is always serious and badass. No humour, nothing that stands out visually. He always is all "look how professional and cool I am" with his voice lines/emotes/poses/highlight intros. He even has the stare at the viewer over the shoulder pose. Snore.

At the very least 76 goes "Damn punks, get off my lawn" and has a silly golf swing pose.

ramyeon

Hanzo.

Look at him, he's a cool Japanese guy with a bow. Honourable samurai man, who is always serious and badass. No humour, nothing that stands out visually. He always is all "look how professional and cool I am" with his voice lines/emotes/poses/highlight intros. He even has the stare at the viewer over the shoulder pose. Snore.

At the very least 76 goes "Damn punks, get off my lawn" and has a silly golf swing pose.
Bingo.

All S:76 needs is some better skins.

Veelk

Banned
I would be. I love 76's no-nonsense grizzled veteran demeanour. And he's got some amazing quotes. Just like Reaper takes a jab at the edgelord stereotype, 76 exaggerates and jabs at the grumpy old soldier stereotype.

Hanzo on the other hand... God, what a dull character. Boring visually, boring personality-wise, boring lines, boring poses... everything about him is so stereotypical and one-sided.

Hanzo's backstory is interesting, and probably the most morally complex character as his troubled past is one he specifically caused himself and his pre-battle dialogue reflects that in how he is reminiscent of his old life while still saddened by where it lead. .

It baffles me how you can call Hanzo boring while praising Soldier. He's not even all that exaggerated from what I can tell. I don't see what makes him exaggerated. He's just straight up vanilla "Old Grizzled Soldier" with nothing that makes him even remotely interesting.

duckroll

Soldier is very interesting to me as a member of the Overwatch cast precisely because Overwatch has such an over the top superhero cast. He is a contrast. The normal CoD dude who lived way too long and survived to see the world become one filled with heroes, robots, talking apes, and time travellers. When I play with a Soldier on my team, I feel that he's the guy who gives me a funny look but still does his job. When I play as Soldier, it feels like Contra where I'm a dude who got thrown into a crazy scifi world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom