• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting hearing people talk about stealth classes. Does the average player not play pvp shooters strategically or calmly? One person was talking about how the Spy class is the least effective class in Fort because its countered by turning around every 10 seconds, but really why would a good Spy constantly be trying to get kills?

Spy is the least effective class in higher/top level because teams communicate with each other and generally won't fall for the disguise kit. So the only way a Spy could contribute is to sneak up on and backstab Snipers, Engineers and Medics, and the very moment people know a Spy is in play on the enemy team, they will take measures to protect themselves.
So the only thing that a Spy could do is delay enemy fire, and maybe sneak in the very occasional surprise kill, but beyond that, there's nothing he can do that other DPS classes couldn't do better.

On the other hand, in lower level play, players who don't know how to counter a Spy will generally be stomped by a Spy player who's even slightly competent and knows the maps reasonably well. A decent, let alone a good, Spy player can absolutely dominate an entire game. The reason for that is the instakill mechanic the Spy has, and that low level players don't know how to counter it, as well as the general lack of communication and map awareness in lower level play. This also causes massive amounts of frustration among the less skilled playerbase, to the point that it actually can cause players to quit in frustration.

So the only thing that Blizzard would do introducing a carbon copy of the TF Spy is to have a class that isn't very effective, if at all, at high levels, but completely and utterly shits on everybody who doesn't know how to counter him, i.e. low level players.
And if you don't believe my statement without proof, just look at Bastion: That guy is literally a stationary turret everybody can see and hear from miles away, his turret mode damage output is fairly close to an instant kill mechanic, and he utterly shits on lesser skilled players because they simply do not know how to deal with him.

Just imagine how much anger and frustration the game would produce if you had Bastion but he can go invisible and oneshot you without you even knowing.

GOT GENJI TROPHY. Bless you Vault.
Nice, I still need that. So many fucking triple kills. Gimme the quad game!

On another not, I had a game where our team had two Genjis. You want to know what they tried to counter us with. 2. Fucking. Bastions. Easiest KotH game of my life.

^^ seriously? Fuck me.

Owzers

i've been ignoring the Sombra hunt, when they announce it they announce it, but it would be nice if they were doing all these teases that they would build to something, just seems like a string of nonsense, much like a push on Hanamura point B with randoms.

Apathy

the calls that soldier is going to be out picked and mccree is done is not true, i'm on the ptr now, they are getting equally picked and their powers levels are about the same, almost down to preference

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
the calls that soldier is going to be out picked and mccree is done is not true, i'm on the ptr now, they are getting equally picked and their powers levels are about the same, almost down to preference

I don't think you can judge PTR pickrates for live play honestly. Too small of a sample size, and with too many people wanting to experiment.

Apathy

I don't think you can judge PTR pickrates for live play honestly. Too small of a sample size, and with too many people wanting to experiment.

but it's not just that, he wasn't buffed out the ass like mccree was during the ana patch. hes back to being a contender for that dps spot, but in no way is he outclassing mccree. It really boils down to preference now

Apathy

I still think they made a mistake with the new map and the choke points. Specially the first one. They did the same old hanamura mistake of one choke that is way too hard for defense to go through

also, yay, the little arrows are back under players

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Soldier is back, fuck you Hanjo and Mackerel
gRJvuab.png

cyborg009

Banned
Trying to read back a few pages but can I get a clean summary of the change? I know solider 76 will now be preferred over MCcree. And Mercy is somehow back in the rotation for meta?

Nazo

Really happy to hear about the Soldier buffs. I tried soldier for the first time the other day since his nerf and he felt just awful to play with his gimped accuracy. But that's just me.

Skii

After the last game I played, I can't wait for competitive to be back.

We had a Symmetra on Gibraltar... on attack. And she went out of her way to sabotage our team by placing any teleporters as far away from the checkpoint she could find.

Anyway, I tried Tracer today and it went okay. I think I'm a bit too aggressive and it really is infuriating to be killed by scatter-arrow or just a random Hanzo shot in general. And I need to pay attention to my blinks a bit more. I'm just randomly spamming it and never seem to have it when I need to escape.

I did manage to get a triple kill with the pulse bomb that got the payload over the line and somehow POTG was a Bastion getting 2 kills x_x

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Not to plug my own thread, but don't think I'd want anyone to miss it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1269045
When speaking to Game Informer, Jeff Kaplan revealed that heroes in Overwatch could eventually be retired after more heroes are released.

"We would leave the door open to that. I think the fact that we chose the business model we did – that the game comes with all the heroes and we’re giving you everything [extra] for free so far – allows us to retire a hero without feeling bad about it. But I think we have a long way to go before heroes will need to be," he said.

Overwatch's reliance on a retail model with cosmetics has also proven to be a boon to the dev team, free to pursue what they feel is right for Overwatch.

"One of the other nice parts about our business model is that we’re not dependent on releasing a new hero to keep development going. That means that we don’t have the pressure to release heroes when it might not be the right decision for the game; we’re able to release heroes when players are ready for something new or it’s right for the meta to shift a little bit. We don’t have to do it just because we’re trying to push the business model forward."

So while you shouldn't necessarily panic that your main is going to be retired tomorrow, it's always a good idea to try out the newer heroes of Overwatch, should Blizzard pull a Riot and want to temporarily kill off a hero or three.

We had a Symmetra on Gibraltar... on attack. And she went out of her way to sabotage our team by placing any teleporters as far away from the checkpoint she could find.

That's when you cooperate with your enemy team and tell them where to find the teleporters so they can get extra points. :p

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh trust me, when I play hanzo there's nothing random about me hitting tracers in the head.

I will go out of my way to murder her.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Wonder if they would make like qp be wild in hearthstone and comp be standard where the retired ones don't show up
To me that seems like they just aren't invested in balancing the characters after a certain point, which fucking sucks if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom