• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

You forgot the amount of sick wall riding brah. No Lucio is worth his salt if he can't wall ride all the time.

i aspire, one day, to stall by wallriding the top of the point in Lijiang Tower. in my mind i get "The Floor Is Lava" at the same time, we win, my teammates love me, and my story becomes an afterschool special.

Shredderi

We've all been in the situation where you're pushing the payload and you can't even get to the first half of the map and it seems like god wanted you and your team to suffer, giving you no chance in hell to even dream about winning. So what character is the most likely to be able to turn the tide if only I am changing my character? I'm so fucking sick of that hopeless feeling of not being able to do anything. I'm honestly flabbergasted that I have more wins than losses because it seems like I only win one out of five matches.

We've all been in the situation where you're pushing the payload and you can't even get to the first half of the map and it seems like god wanted you and your team to suffer, giving you no chance in hell to even dream about winning. So what character is the most likely to be able to turn the tide if only I am changing my character? I'm so fucking sick of that hopeless feeling of not being able to do anything. I'm honestly flabbergasted that I have more wins than losses because it seems like I only win one out of five matches.
imo DVa

good mobility

good survivability

can be a big bully

no reload time

point clearing ult

that or lucio and just dance on the payload

LiK

Lucio dancing on the Payload helps a lot.

Clydefrog

My go-to defense on Eichenwald

Roadhoggio until we lose the first point then D.Va for the payload defense

I need more ideas like this.

duckroll

Depends on your team and why the enemy is wiping you. No tanks and the team splits up too much? Try a Reinhardt to rally everyone for a push. Genji running unchecked and the team splits up? Winston. Your team sucks at dealing with a torb? Dva. You have heals and tanks but everyone just sucks at killing? Zenyatta, baby. Your team is Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Ana? Leave game.

Well, what you do is you assess the enemy team's comp and compare it to your comp, see where you may have weaknesses they're exploiting or weaknesses you can exploit in return, then you consider the time remaining and the map situation and apply your game sense, and finally you select Zarya.

Apathy

I know a lot of people are probably sick of hearing about it at this point but I've been thinking a lot about the Sombra ARG since yesterday and I've been thinking about writing up a big critique of it up to this point. I'm not sure if anyone will care but If anyone does I'll write it up. I just don't want to clog up the thread with a huge wall of text no one will care about.

If you write it they will come.

darklin0

Banned
i aspire, one day, to stall by wallriding the top of the point in Lijiang Tower. in my mind i get "The Floor Is Lava" at the same time, we win, my teammates love me, and my story becomes an afterschool special.
Lijiang is the best for wall riding tomfoolery. The amount of times I have seen a Raper stand still and try to shoot at me only to die is hilarious.
It's crazy how little you get shot at if you're not on the ground.
You introduce a height variable and most people loose their mind and forget how to shoot lol.

Ramirez

Roadhog is the only character I personally feel I can turn the tide of a game with. Try him. I'm speaking as a PS4 player though.

Also, these people that get passive aggressive with the character chatter are hilarious. I played with basically the same people for the past hour and none of them would go healer. I'll play Ana all day in QP, but don't get mad at me for not wanting to auto lock Lucio every time while you guys jack off with Hanzo and Genji.

Jellie

Lijiang is the best for wall riding tomfoolery. The amount of times I have seen a Raper stand still and try to shoot at me only to die is hilarious.

You introduce a height variable and most people loose their mind and forget how to shoot lol.
Love lijiag wall riding. Got 20+ mins time on fire on a normal 3 round lijiang tower game in comp near the beginning of the season because they couldn't hit me. Now it seems pretty useless as people can hit you more easily now and have wisened up.

Reddit saying Genji owned tourneys when he had ~20% pick rate. Wow.

Can't "own" tourneys when you don't get picked that often.

Reddit's structure is good for some things and awful in others. If you need to find pertinent information quickly like whether or not the new nvidia drivers is gonna brick your computer or you want to find the latest and greatest of cute cat pictures Reddit is a good resource. What Reddit is supremely awful at is any kind of discussion on game balance or any kind or real discussion of anything really. When your default forum organization is done by "best" with "best" being how many upvotes it has, trying to start a debate that goes against the current prevailing consensus means that you can get nuked to oblivion. For a class based shooter like overwatch this problem is further exacerbated by the Tyranny of the majority effect. People who favor or like any one particular character are outnumbered by people who favor any other character. This means it's easier for the reddit mob to band together to hate on a particular character than it is to support any one particular character.

If any of you play Dota and seen the Dota subreddit you see this kind of effect all the time. Characters who aren't in a strong spot sometimes get sympathy threads with a lot of upvotes and then after getting buffed threads hating on that character get a shit ton of upvotes. This recently happened with Timbersaw. You'd see people with Timber flairs go "Please Gaben and Icefrog. Buff Timber he's so fun to play" and he get's like 500 upvotes and you might think wow Reddit likes Timbersaw. And then later when he got buffed you'd see something like "GET THIS CANCER TREE CUTTING GOBLIN OUT OF MY LANE! Aieeeee!" get a thousand upvotes. This is because when timber was weaker people who didn't give two hoots and a poot about him aren't going to bother with downvoting the timber player so it was Timber players doing the upvoting. But after he got buffed, the Timber players don't number high enough to actively downvote people who hate the stronger Timbersaw.

If you ever risked rotting your brain and looked at the official Blizzard forums you see a similar effect because of it's voting system. There are lot of Widow players there who will brigade anyone down into the negatives if you say anything else that isn't "buff widow" despite that on release Widow was a hugely oppressive presence. Not because people have "changed their mind" but just that the majority isn't motivated to up vote or down vote an idea while the widow players are.

Skii

You're playing the character well; you're escaping when you're low and your opponents aren't finishing you off. Why would he need a damage nerf if you're literally flanking opponents from an advantageous position?

I'm talking about on consoles specifically. I just feel he's very hard to hit.There was one point where we were defending Hanumura on the final point and everyone on my team got wiped except me and the entire opposing team just couldn't hit me and I wasn't doing anything special except doubling jumping in a circle lol. The team was good as well because they had captured the first point on their first push.

I struggle to see how Genji is OP on PC with the more precise aiming but I guess that makes Dragon blade so much easier to execute.

darklin0

Banned
Love lijiag wall riding. Got 20+ mins time on fire on a normal 3 round lijiang tower game in comp near the beginning of the season because they couldn't hit me. Now it seems pretty useless as people can hit you more easily now and have wisened up.

Yep. You gotta be a lot more slippery now. I worked a nice pattern where I can drop to the floor and then pop back up to keep people off me. Even with that it has gotten tougher.

Also, these people that get passive aggressive with the character chatter are hilarious. I played with basically the same people for the past hour and none of them would go healer. I'll play Ana all day in QP, but don't get mad at me for not wanting to auto lock Lucio every time while you guys jack off with Hanzo and Genji.

LMAO nailed it. I did find it funny that not a single random EVER picked a healer in those 15 or so games last night. But fuck picking Lucio every time just because it's what the team needs the most. I switched to him once because it really felt like we'd win that KOTH game with a Lucio (which was true).

Team, you don't have to pick healer, it's QP, I get it. But if you're lucky I'll pick Zen or Ana and if I want to play DPS that game that's what i'll do.

Reddit's structure is good for some things and awful in others. If you need to find pertinent information quickly like whether or not the new nvidia drivers is gonna brick your computer or you want to find the latest and greatest of cute cat pictures Reddit is a good resource. What Reddit is supremely awful at is any kind of discussion on game balance or any kind or real discussion of anything really. When your default forum organization is done by "best" with "best" being how many upvotes it has, trying to start a debate that goes against the current prevailing consensus means that you can get nuked to oblivion. For a class based shooter like overwatch this problem is further exacerbated by the Tyranny of the majority effect. People who favor or like any one particular character are outnumbered by people who favor any other character. This means it's easier for the reddit mob to band together to hate on a particular character than it is to support any one particular character.

If any of you play Dota and seen the Dota subreddit you see this kind of effect all the time. Characters who aren't in a strong spot sometimes get sympathy threads with a lot of upvotes and then after getting buffed threads hating on that character get a shit ton of upvotes. This recently happened with Timbersaw. You'd see people with Timber flairs go "Please Gaben and Icefrog. Buff Timber he's so fun to play" and he get's like 500 upvotes and you might think wow Reddit likes Timbersaw. And then later when he got buffed you'd see something like "GET THIS CANCER TREE CUTTING GOBLIN OUT OF MY LANE! Aieeeee!" get a thousand upvotes. This is because when timber was weaker people who didn't give two hoots and a poot about him aren't going to bother with downvoting the timber player so it was Timber players doing the upvoting. But after he got buffed, the Timber players don't number high enough to actively downvote people who hate the stronger Timbersaw.

If you ever risked rotting your brain and looked at the official Blizzard forums you see a similar effect because of it's voting system. There are lot of Widow players there who will brigade anyone down into the negatives if you say anything else that isn't "buff widow" despite that on release Widow was a hugely oppressive presence. Not because people have "changed their mind" but just that the majority isn't motivated to up vote or down vote an idea while the widow players are.

The Destiny subreddit is terrible about this.

If you weren't praising bungie right off the bat, you were downvoted to hell. I would ask the guys in the DGAF thread to throw me a few upvotes so I could make it to the front page and get an actual discussion going, but it required more strategy than it should.

But a short way of saying what you said is:

Reddit is great for sharing bad for discussion.

A final note: Because of the different experiences on Console vs PC, you're going to see a lot of misinformation out there. I personally don't care that Genji had a 20% pick rate in a PC tourney, because right now in QP on PSN, there is an average of 3 Genji's per game.

I struggle to see how Genji is OP on PC with the more precise aiming but I guess that makes Dragon blade so much easier to execute.
people pretty much only complain about his ultimate. Its a nuisance i imagine at higher levels when people are going this fast without speed boost.

https://youtu.be/1_u96CQ_nxw

https://youtu.be/qP1O27k1PsU

I remember seagull and shadder calling for a nerf to Genjis Ult but thats about it. Nerfing his ult would have made him fine imo

In QP I'll pick Ana if there's no healer cause I want practice with her. Interestingly enough though, solo healing is something I've gotten used to as Ana. Always fun healing a genji at sniping range while he's slicing up the point.

Jellie

Yep. You gotta be a lot more slippery now. I worked a nice pattern where I can drop to the floor and then pop back up to keep people off me. Even with that it has gotten tougher.
Pretty much have to boop people away to survive if you do that now. On the garden map ( I think. It's the small circular capture point with a bridge) you can wall ride the pillar and jump to the walls and back again to evade. Zarya and pharah get you easily if you are predictable so jumping from pillar to wall makes you less predictable. Can even survive against a Winston for a while doing that.

DevilDog

I'm talking about on consoles specifically. I just feel he's very hard to hit.There was one point where we were defending Hanumura on the final point and everyone on my team got wiped except me and the entire opposing team just couldn't hit me and I wasn't doing anything special except doubling jumping in a circle lol. The team was good as well because they had captured the first point on their first push.

Not only the dragon blade, but the dash+180 turnaround melee/right click combo, as well as juking everyone while triple jumping, all while firing.

GeeTeeCee

I'm having one more quick play match before I give up for the night. So many losses...

If I see one more Genji who refuses to go anywhere near the objective, or one more Hanzo who hangs out at the back and lets the enemy sniper do whatever they want without even attempting to stop them...

Edit: Just nope. Final match is Dorado on Attack. Teammate immediately picks Widowmaker amd proceeds to do bugger all for the entirety of the match. I'm so sick of randoms. Off to Rocket League instead. Not enjoying Overwatch at all tonight.

Ramirez

LMAO nailed it. I did find it funny that not a single random EVER picked a healer in those 15 or so games last night. But fuck picking Lucio every time just because it's what the team needs the most. I switched to him once because it really felt like we'd win that KOTH game with a Lucio (which was true).

Team, you don't have to pick healer, it's QP, I get it. But if you're lucky I'll pick Zen or Ana and if I want to play DPS that game that's what i'll do.

Yea, I saw you and killdat go Lucio a couple times. I'll tell ya straight up, don't feel pressured into playing any character you don't want to in QP when you're partied up with me. Cuz I'm gonna play what I feel like playing and I expect everyone else to do the same, lol.

There were a few times I went full tilt last night and forced myself to Hog it up. I can't stand seeing Tracer and Genji running wild for too long, especially when their up my ass as Ana, lol.

LiK

The Destiny subreddit is terrible about this.

If you weren't praising bungie right off the bat, you were downvoted to hell. I would ask the guys in the DGAF thread to throw me a few upvotes so I could make it to the front page and get an actual discussion going, but it required more strategy than it should.

But a short way of saying what you said is:

Reddit is great for sharing bad for discussion.

A final note: Because of the different experiences on Console vs PC, you're going to see a lot of misinformation out there. I personally don't care that Genji had a 20% pick rate in a PC tourney, because right now in QP on PSN, there is an average of 3 Genji's per game.

agree wholeheartedly.

you playing tonight?

I picked Lucio as well that last game, I was going to switch if everyone spread too much but that wasn't the case so I stuck with it cause we were doing well. If there is a match that has no supports or tanks, I'm picking the tank every time. And if that doesn't work, I'm picking someone with a self heal like mei or s76. The days of me picking support for the team are over (I will randomly play them once and awhile though, but my choice), unless it's coordinated play, but for randoms it's never happening again.

Yea, I saw you and killdat go Lucio a couple times. I'll tell ya straight up, don't feel pressured into playing any character you don't want to in QP when you're partied up with me. Cuz I'm gonna play what I feel like playing and I expect everyone else to do the same, lol.

There were a few times I went full tilt last night and forced myself to Hog it up. I can't stand seeing Tracer and Genji running wild for too long, especially when their up my ass as Ana, lol.

I noticed that, anytime we needed that extra push, Roadhog time was all up in that Genji/Tracer ass. I'm also not afraid of double picking a character when I know they're doing a terrible job (like that Genji on kings row, I killed bastion twice with no issues). The double zarya was by design, and will have to be done again, it almost worked... but yeah that's the last time I'm ever mentioning that game again. For my sanity.

agree wholeheartedly.

you playing tonight?

Not sure yet. I have to work overtime and I'm not sure for how long. By the time i get home I imagine the wife will want to spend time with me or something. :p

If I can talk her into playing, then yes. But she's been on a big No Man's Sky kick lately (or as she calls it: Space game).

Beckx

last night i watched everyone in my game pick DPS and i was the last one to go. someone then started spamming "we need a healer!" so i just typed "looks like you volunteered" and locked Zarya.

LiK

Not sure yet. I have to work overtime and I'm not sure for how long. By the time i get home I imagine the wife will want to spend time with me or something. :p

If I can talk her into playing, then yes. But she's been on a big No Man's Sky kick lately (or as she calls it: Space game).

cool, i just Platinumed NMS last night. I'm taking a break, lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mccree has the best skins in this game.

All of them are amazing.

tumblr_mwa49kULeZ1qdvtzdo1_500.gif

Apathy

I never got the genji hate. On pc he isn't oppressive in any way. Sure his ult was a little much, specially if backed up with others but thats normally how any dps' ult is. So I was totally fine with the 2 second decrease on it, but everything else didn't make sense. I wouldn't even mind if they got back the triple jump back. I imagine a lot of issues are due to how skewed some reports of how bad he is coming from the console people

last night i watched everyone in my game pick DPS and i was the last one to go. someone then started spamming "we need a healer!" so i just typed "looks like you volunteered" and locked Zarya.

My favorite is when people just shout "TANK" or "HEAL" or "META"

I used to switch, but now I just tell them to nut up and do it themselves.*

*90% of the time I'll do it because I'm not trusting someone who locks Hanzo with 5 DPS / Defense heroes on the team already to actually support.

Anne

Hope Ana can find a place in the meta. Really fun character.

High chance she will I think, so do some pros. I like her quite a bit, just hope the ult doesn't get out of hand.

On another note, there's a video going around that claims the Soldier buff was actually a nrf to his DPS. They prove this using macros. I'm going to be a dumbass and argue that the video doesn't prove shit despite the numbers being what they are. Soldier on PTR is way easier to use and can get more consistent ranged damage than before. It's one of those things where human experience matters more than the macro numbers.

Anne

I never got the genji hate. On pc he isn't oppressive in any way. Sure his ult was a little much, specially if backed up with others but thats normally how any dps' ult is. So I was totally fine with the 2 second decrease on it, but everything else didn't make sense. I wouldn't even mind if they got back the triple jump back. I imagine a lot of issues are due to how skewed some reports of how bad he is coming from the console people

On PC in solo q at the 70~ range he was a real issue. If your team didn't play around him pretty specifically you just auto lost. It really came down to the ult though. If a team planned ahead for that ult they could usually handle him. If not they just wiped to it over and over again.

He wasn't like the end all be all reddit wanted him to be, but he was oppressive and frustrating if you didn't plan ahead. I think nerfing ult was the right decision, and even losing damage in the end is kind of whatever. Triple jump nerf just makes him garbage and Blizzard isn't going to listen I think.

I still hold the position he wasn't OP, but he was very strong and dominated solo q with a potential to eventually get out of control or create a very large perception problem.

I'm telling you, a lot of it comes from console, and that's why people aren't understanding what's happening.

You have to realize there is a terrible bug on consoles right now where the auto-aim is broken vertically and actually pushes your cursor away from the target when on a vertical plane. This makes targeting Genji a fucking nightmare.

See here: https://gfycat.com/AcidicTangibleHawk

Few other characters use verticality the way he does that would cause similar issues.

Anne

Again I'll note, on console with that busted aiming system, seriously I would want that character straight deleted lmao.

I'm telling you, a lot of it comes from console, and that's why people aren't understanding what's happening.

You have to realize there is a terrible bug on consoles right now where the auto-aim is broken vertically and actually pushes your cursor away from the target when on a vertical plane. This makes targeting Genji a fucking nightmare.

See here: https://gfycat.com/AcidicTangibleHawk

Few other characters use verticality the way he does that would cause similar issues.
holy shit, never knew this. mess
Is PTR down? I just wanted to lose my placements. ]:
yeah it's not working for me either

i guess I missed a maintenance announcement somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom