• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The Doc Holliday skin does make me disappointed McCree's character isn't that instead of this shitty fake as fuck cowboy accent that's generic as all get out.

holy shit, never knew this. mess

It's the kind of thing that if fixed, people would be killing Genji easier, and thus not finding him to be as much of a problem, but they don't recognize what the actual problem is. They just see that Genji is harder to kill than anybody else, so they figure it has to be Genji that's the problem.

cyborg009

Banned
3 gold medals POTG and 84% on fire(MVP) on the new map.........
I was playing Symmetra

vUdMTvu.jpg

Your god damn right you guys were fucked.

R0ckman

Thinking about moving to Euro server for season two. How are they for comp? I tried a a few test placements of NA and was still a shit show with randoms, very toxic and trolly for two matches and my win tge team actually communicated and tried, my last match on NA with my friend last night he was ana I was hog on KotH. I was doing very good but my entire team was hiding doing potshots, I was the only one on the point the whole game. No communication no responses to my saying get on the point, no nothing.

I'm telling you, a lot of it comes from console, and that's why people aren't understanding what's happening.

You have to realize there is a terrible bug on consoles right now where the auto-aim is broken vertically and actually pushes your cursor away from the target when on a vertical plane. This makes targeting Genji a fucking nightmare.

See here: https://gfycat.com/AcidicTangibleHawk

Few other characters use verticality the way he does that would cause similar issues.

Reddit and the blizz official forums are like 85% PC, which is where Blizzard gets most their opinions from. This thread has a healthy mix of PS4 and PC, there is a disturbing lack of amount of XONE players though...

EDIT: Do we even know if the XONE version has the same bug as the PS4 version?

Reddit and the blizz official forums are like 85% PC, which is where Blizzard gets most their opinions from. This thread has a healthy mix of PS4 and PC, there is a disturbing lack of amount of XONE players though...

EDIT: Do we even know if the XONE version has the same bug as the PS4 version?

Going to ask where you're getting this number from.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's amazing for so many outlandish personalities that Overwatch spawns heroes as dull as McCree and Widowmaker

snoresville personalities

Anne

Looks like everybody is starting to really pay more attention to the ult advantage concept on the COW subreddit and elsewhere. Glad people are catching on to that an dit's being discussed more. Tired of suboptimal ults from my teammates ;w;

Looks like everybody is starting to really pay more attention to the ult advantage concept on the COW subreddit and elsewhere. Glad people are catching on to that an dit's being discussed more. Tired of suboptimal ults from my teammates ;w;

Ult advantage?

I've not heard of this.

Also, whats COW? Console Overwatch?

I'm falling in love with Ana over here...

Realizing that your teammates only need to be in the triangle part of you scope to heal them helped a ton. That ult builds so fast. Loving it.

Palmer_v1

I know it's not really GAF's style, but this does feel like a game that would possibly benefit from having a console OT and PC OT.

What games have had separate PC/console balance changes before this?

I know it's not really GAF's style, but this does feel like a game that would possibly benefit from having a console OT and PC OT.

Ehhh, it only really applies to balancing discussion. When talking about lore, videos, ARGs, maps, Weekly Brawls, or countless other things, it's better to have one thread.

The problem really only comes up when talking about Balance, and people just need to realize that if someone's anecdote isn't matching up with their own experiences, it could be because they're not on the same platform.

Anne

Ult advantage?

I've not heard of this.

Also, whats COW? Console Overwatch?

Competitive Overwatch subreddit.

Ult advantage is a concept that I felt was pretty basic and easy to understand, so I admittedly have not talked about it as much as I should've. It's just the idea that in a team fight, the team with more ults will have advantage they can drop at their leisure. The thing that makes it deeper is some ults are worth more than others. That on top of being able to force out suboptimal ults is important.

Like Zen ult is so good that you might count it twice when tallying up ult advantage. It's impossible to 1 for 1 Zen ult without Ana. Zarya + Tracer do it, but that's 2 for one. You win that fight, but if the other team held their ults they can come back with an ult up on you the next fight. Then that tug of war keeps on going. If you manage to bait a Zen ult without using one or just going 1 for 1, you can have ult advantage for multiple fights in a row. So on and so forth.

Lots of the depth in the game is in this tbh. I'm tired of having to tell Zens to stop ulting to save themselves. It might get us out of a fight or bad situation, but now we are going to be down on ult advantage for the next fight or two, which might mean we're down the entire rest of the map. Same with offensive ults, if your Reaper blows his load early on Death Blossom you probably lose that fight, and if the other team didn't need to blow ults to do it now they can keep that ult advantage into another fight. And son. And so on.

If you're not already familiar with the concept it's worth exploring and keeping in mind. Once you have a comp and know what the enemy has, you can map out ult usage to the end of the map if you never fuck up. That's impossible even by pro teams, but doing it better than the other team and planning ahead makes it so you can usually have that advantage.

Prelude.

It's amazing for so many outlandish personalities that Overwatch spawns heroes as dull as McCree and Widowmaker

snoresville personalities
Did you read Widowmaker's backstory? Because that's great.

Realizing that your teammates only need to be in the triangle part of you scope to heal them helped a ton. That ult builds so fast. Loving it.
Don't worry, you'll realize pretty soon that those huge friendly hitboxes aren't exactly helping.

LiK

we don't need to split up the community because some people play on both PC and consoles and we tend to have broad discussions about the game outside of specific mechanics exclusive to their platforms. we just need to remind ourselves to mention PC or consoles when talking about certain things.

Yep, the hitbox changes help her quite a bit.

She's a great support especially since you can be a bit further back / out of reach and still do work. Shame people seem to dislike seeing her on teams as they think she'll just try to DPS or whiff shots lol.

Also this GIF sums up most of my ranked matches:

No_Style

There were separate Battlefield 4 Official and Console community threads but the latter eventually dried up and everyone just posts in the official one now.

Edit: I just realized that most of the people I play with on PS4 don't even post often. Heh.

Anne

On the subject of ult advantage, that's why Mercy's is so good. If you spend 3 ults to win a fight but only Mercy lives and gets a res off, she just got 3 for 1 on ults.

A lot of people view ults as just a kill or emergency button, but there's a lot more to it than that.

Odrion

Banned
Hope Ana can find a place in the meta. Really fun character.

I think she's in the same place Genji was in the beginning where a meta change and a pro showcasing her will drive up her popularity. Her kit is incredibly impressive, but it just can't beat the discord and speed boost meta that is going on right now.

Satch

Banned
Make the change so that Ana shoots through full health teammates and she'll be amazing.
yeah she loses so much effectiveness because of this

if blizzard had given her some mobility this wouldnt be an issue hahahahahaahahahaha djjdbdJdjskdndn 🔫🔫🔫🔫🔫🔫🔫

Competitive Overwatch subreddit.

Ult advantage is a concept that I felt was pretty basic and easy to understand, so I admittedly have not talked about it as much as I should've. It's just the idea that in a team fight, the team with more ults will have advantage they can drop at their leisure. The thing that makes it deeper is some ults are worth more than others. That on top of being able to force out suboptimal ults is important.

Like Zen ult is so good that you might count it twice when tallying up ult advantage. It's impossible to 1 for 1 Zen ult without Ana. Zarya + Tracer do it, but that's 2 for one. You win that fight, but if the other team held their ults they can come back with an ult up on you the next fight. Then that tug of war keeps on going. If you manage to bait a Zen ult without using one or just going 1 for 1, you can have ult advantage for multiple fights in a row. So on and so forth.

Lots of the depth in the game is in this tbh. I'm tired of having to tell Zens to stop ulting to save themselves. It might get us out of a fight or bad situation, but now we are going to be down on ult advantage for the next fight or two, which might mean we're down the entire rest of the map. Same with offensive ults, if your Reaper blows his load early on Death Blossom you probably lose that fight, and if the other team didn't need to blow ults to do it now they can keep that ult advantage into another fight. And son. And so on.

If you're not already familiar with the concept it's worth exploring and keeping in mind. Once you have a comp and know what the enemy has, you can map out ult usage to the end of the map if you never fuck up. That's impossible even by pro teams, but doing it better than the other team and planning ahead makes it so you can usually have that advantage.

Ahh, so stuff I'm already doing in my head. :p

I hate when randoms yell at teammates for having too many ults, as if having an ult somehow means you can just get easy kills with no real planning or counter play in mind...

Timing a sleep dart right, like on an ulting Pharah: FeelsAmazingMan

Nanoboosting a Mercy that flew right into your field of vision between you and the Rein, on the other hand...

Anne

Ahh, so stuff I'm already doing in my head. :p

I hate when randoms yell at teammates for having too many ults, as if having an ult somehow means you can just get easy kills with no real planning or counter play in mind...

Yeah, it's all stuff everybody good should be doing, but tbh there's a lot more to it that needs to be worked on. As it gets more optimal shit ults are going to be punished so hard that teams are going to just lose the next 2-3 fights and maybe even the map off that single misplay.

Odrion

Banned
Timing a sleep dart right, like on an ulting Pharah: FeelsAmazingMan

Nanoboosting a Mercy that flew right into your field of vision between you and the Rein, on the other hand...

They could have a buffer, like you need to hold down the Q on someone for a half second or so to activate it. Maybe an option to deactivate and partially refund the nanaboost for the first second? I've had my fair share of nanoboosting a Lucio.

Targeted buffing with just a button as Zarya works nicely because she's usually at the front lines, but when you're playing as a support...

edit: Or they could let you hotkey target specific players.

darklin0

Banned
Just joined a quickplay KotH match where my team already lost a round and was 87% toward losing this one. I felt bad, but I decided to go lucio and we proceeded to win the round and the next one. Feels god damn good man.

Kito

On the subject of ult advantage, that's why Mercy's is so good. If you spend 3 ults to win a fight but only Mercy lives and gets a res off, she just got 3 for 1 on ults.

This reminds me of a Reaper that would always ult to only kill me (Mercy) since I kept my distance from teammates. It did make me think, is it better to ult on Mercy who can rez or 2 others?

If you ult on Mercy, her teammates will probably kill you, but she still has a pocket rez to use. If you ult on others, Mercy will rez them and then they will get you, but at least you forced a rez.

So the question is basically does Reaper want to temporarily disable the healer or force a rez.

This reminds me of a Reaper that would always ult to only kill me (Mercy) since I kept my distance from teammates. It did make me think, is it better to ult on Mercy who can rez or 2 others?

If you ult on Mercy, her teammates will probably kill you, but she still has a pocket rez to use. If you ult on others, Mercy will rez them and then they will get you, but at least you forced a rez.

So the question is basically does Reaper want to temporarily disable the healer or force a rez.

Play the long con. Wait for someone else to kill Mercy, then pounce. :D

As a Pharah and Roadhog player, you bet your ass I'm going for that fucking Mercy every shot/hook I take.

They could have a buffer, like you need to hold down the Q on someone for a half second or so to activate it. Maybe an option to deactivate and partially refund the nanaboost for the first second? I've had my fair share of nanoboosting a Lucio.

Targeted buffing with just a button as Zarya works nicely because she's usually at the front lines, but when you're playing as a support...

edit: Or they could let you hotkey target specific players.

What if they worked it where you shoot the nano-dart into someone, and then have to press your ult again to "inject" it into them. This would let you switch targets and then pop it when you want to.

It would also really help non-communicative teams. You'd know that you had a dart in you, so you'd go straight into the fray.

LiK

Play the long con. Wait for someone else to kill Mercy, then pounce. :D

As a Pharah and Roadhog player, you bet your ass I'm going for that fucking Mercy every shot/hook I take.

I will go outta my way to Riptire a Zen. Sometimes I even make them waste their Ult that way. :D

I've been mostly playing on PTR now and the balance changes are good. Eichenwald is also quickly becoming my favorite map. I'm not a huge fan of the first choke setup but I love everything else about it. One of the best things about the map is how it makes a lot of under-utilized defense heroes extremely viable just through its design. Some thoughts on the meta and balance changes:

I think single tank/dps heavy comps are going to become more viable but we will continue to see double support in all situations. 2/2/2 will still be the most common configuration.

Support:
-Mercy is coming back. The healing buff is pretty huge in regards to both healing and ult charge. Her resurrections can still win games as long as she can stay alive.
-Lucio will see decreased use at higher ranks and pro play. Increased speed is still increased speed but it slows things down enough to make forcing your way through chokes less viable.
-Zenyatta is still strong.
-Ana will be showing up more (she was always very good and is a blast to play).

Overall, there is a pretty decent balance among the support heroes now.

Tanks:
-Rein, Zarya, and Winston will still be primary tank picks with DVA showing up here and there.
-DVA may be used more often with the Discord nerf but it's doubtful (Rein and Zarya are too good and Winston is too good on KOTH and for specific counters). The Defense Matrix nerf was needed and isn't that big of a deal for DVA players. DVA is still in a good place.
-Roadhog might see some more use with the Discord nerf and Hook adjustments (assuming they fix the current bugs/inconsistencies with the hook). The everlasting presence of Rein and Zarya on both the friendly and opposing team may keep him mostly out.

No major problems here. While I would love to see more Roadhog, the tanks continue to be the most balanced heroes in the game.

DPS:
-Mcree, Tracer, and Repear are still strong and solid picks.
-Pharah is coming back, especially with Mercy in tow.
-Soldier76 is back - feels interchangeable with Mcree
-Hanzo is really good now and will be showing up a lot more even with the most recent nerf. Really good Hanzo players are going to be extremely oppressive.
-Genji will get dropped at pro level but still played by people that just really like playing him. He'e still good but... meh.
-Junkrat still good but will remain map dependent and situational.
-Mei was strong but could easily become a liability before. I think she is really strong on defense now and in general with the projectile changes and ULT buff. I love playing as her and will break her out way more in season 2.
-I'm kind of on the fence with Symmetra. I feel like she still needs adjustments but she may get more play as her teleporter value increases due to season 2 rule changes, slower paced attacks, or the possibility of slotting her in place of a second tank.

-RIP: Torb (sans Numbani), Widow, Bastion ... except on Eichenwald maybe.

Anyway, just some thoughts/opinions.

Anne

Back in Pharmercy meta, pro DPS players would regularly blow an ult just to kill Mercy before a fight, period. Rez charged so fast it would always out-value the rest of the fight no matter what. If you did force the rez it didn't matter because it would be back almost instantly. You'd rather blow the ult to deny her that fight and try to win it that way.

That meta was really dumb in this regard >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom