• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachimari

I'm surprised. Today I have found myself really loving Zenyatta. Not only is it fun to heal your team mates, and makes enemies weaker, but his ultimate is epic in every sense of the word, making your allies invincible for a few seconds.

And I can relate to this character. He meditates like myself, the sayings he comes with are accurate, and it's total buddhism when playing in Nepal. Love this character.

LiK

I'll settle with 2-3 people for season 2 as well. I actually did the best when it was just me and Kor. Hope I do my placement well enough to play with him in Comp again.

Squire

Banned
I know a lot of people are probably sick of hearing about it at this point but I've been thinking a lot about the Sombra ARG since yesterday and I've been thinking about writing up a big critique of it up to this point. I'm not sure if anyone will care but If anyone does I'll write it up. I just don't want to clog up the thread with a huge wall of text no one will care about.

If you don't post it here, post it in the Sombra thread or start a new one for it.

duo is best queue to climb comp

Oh? Can you elaborate?

Azoor

I'm surprised. Today I have found myself really loving Zenyatta. Not only is it fun to heal your team mates, and makes enemies weaker, but his ultimate is epic in every sense of the word, making your allies invincible for a few seconds.

And I can relate to this character. He meditates like myself, the sayings he comes with are accurate, and it's total buddhism when playing in Nepal. Love this character.

If you have the time, hop into a custom game wander around the Nepal map as a spectator, you'll appreciate all the details and atmosphere they created.

I know a lot of people are probably sick of hearing about it at this point but I've been thinking a lot about the Sombra ARG since yesterday and I've been thinking about writing up a big critique of it up to this point. I'm not sure if anyone will care but If anyone does I'll write it up. I just don't want to clog up the thread with a huge wall of text no one will care about.

Is your critique that "it's gone on far too fucking long?" Because that's where I'm at.

Rad-

Oh? Can you elaborate?

You get quite a bit more rank points per win with 1-3 party than with 4-6 party. Also when you queue in a 2-3 party you get often put against solo queue people where as when you queue with full group you can get put against very coordinated teams.

Personally I think 3 is the golden number but 2 is great as well.

Zen's lines are deadpan hilarious. I particularly love when the payload timer runs low:

"Time is an illusion... But the illusion is about to run out."

Squire

Banned
You get quite a bit more rank points per win with 1-3 party than with 4-6 party. Also when you queue in a 2-3 party you get often put against solo queue people where as when you queue with full group you can get put against very coordinated teams.

Personally I think 3 is the golden number but 2 is great as well.

No shit? Niiiice. Thanks for the tip.

I'll probably post it here honestly. Though if it gets too crazy long It'll be its own thread.

Partly, most of my criticism is mostly for the content and mechanics of the ARG overall.

Cool cool

Pachimari

If you have the time, hop into a custom game wander around the Nepal map as a spectator, you'll appreciate all the details and atmosphere they created.

I'll do just that next time I boot up the game! Just read his backstory too. This character is clicking with me for sure.

Zen's lines are deadpan hilarious. I particularly love when the payload timer runs low:

"Time is an illusion... But the illusion is about to run out."

Yeah, some touches there! Haven't noticed that line yet.

What are emotes by the way? Ways to express oneself for fun?

mellow

I was planning on practicing for season 2 in quick play with characters I'm not too good with but wow, I took about a week off and it's just awful, 0 supports ever, multiple Mei's on attack, etc, ugh. Don't think it's even worth it, sucks that the next season is still a couple weeks off.

LiK

I'm so sick of Genji on console. Just feel like the game in general needs a huge balance shake up.

all those nerfs in PTR will be quite welcomed when it goes live.

I was planning on practicing for season 2 in quick play with characters I'm not too good with but wow, I took about a week off and it's just awful, 0 supports ever, multiple Mei's on attack, etc, ugh. Don't think it's even worth it, sucks that the next season is still a couple weeks off.

do what i do, just practice the abilities and feel for the other heroes. QP is a mess and just gotta do what you can.

LiK

I would love to see Torb boosted, his auto turret is needed to help take out so many characters.

i think Torb is still viable on console. Just depends on turret placement along with how the actual player plays. I wish Symm had her turrets return to their former glory.

Nazo

I guess I'm going to get started writing up my critique of the ARG. Its going to take me a hot minuet because I'm a slow (and shitty) writer but it should be done by later today.

I hope you all enjoy it when its done. I'm really looking forward to the discussion!

I'm so sick of Genji on console. Just feel like the game in general needs a huge balance shake up.

I no longer buy the whole rhetoric about how it takes a really, really good player to make Genji a beast, otherwise he's nothing. It's just something that enough people have said enough times that it just continues to be said. It may have been true in the earlier days, but everyone knows the maps, the characters' chemistry and health pack placements by now.

I've knocked down multiple triple kills with Genji's ult. I'm as mediocre as it comes at playing him. I have like 2 hours total and I can still find a target that strayed too far, toss a few rounds of shurikens and then use the dash ability that does a decent chunk of damage while being basically un-fuck-up-able.

"Lucio Places Really Low"

Lucio is my most played hero.

It all makes sense now.

Lol.

I guess I'm going to get started writing up my critique of the ARG. Its going to take me a hot minuet because I'm a slow (and shitty) writer but it should be done by later today.

I hope you all enjoy it when its done. I'm really looking forward to the discussion!

Love me some ARGs. Looking forward to it!

Skii

was it actually a killing blow or just an elimination? if it's the latter, you may not get it cuz someone else probably got the killing blow before you did. basically, the kill feed should show you killed all 4 guys.

I'm not sure, but I don't think it counts Swift Strike kills towards the trophy. I believe you have to get all four kills with the actual blade.

Well I just remember I started the ult, got 2 kills and Mei's ult happened and I managed to get another 3 but I'm guessing I used swift strike/didn't get the killing blow. That sucks :(

I no longer buy the whole rhetoric about how it takes a really, really good player to make Genji a beast, otherwise he's nothing. It's just something that enough people have said enough times that it just continues to be said. It may have been true in the earlier days, but everyone knows the maps, the characters' chemistry and health pack placements by now.

I've knocked down multiple triple kills with Genji's ult. I'm as mediocre as it comes at playing him. I have like 2 hours total and I can still find a target that strayed too far, toss a few rounds of shurikens and then use the dash ability that does a decent chunk of damage while being basically un-fuck-up-able.

Yeah now that I've learnt Genji a bit better, I think he does need toning down on console and not even because of Dragon blade. I absolutely suck with it and usually end up with 1 kill. But my general play with Genji is starting to net me 18-20 eliminations with 4-5 deaths. And I know I'm not even playing great half the time. It's just so easy to escape a losing battle and to chip away in high positions/behind.

Why is it so common to get teams afraid of pushing? I see it a lot as Tracer. If I'm in the back lines I still see my blue arrows hovering together in tje same area usually peeking around a corner potshotting.

I was playing Rein and I told my team "If I see an opening I'm going in. Zen keep me orbed and follow me in, then Lucio just follow up. If I see you getting stuck in wide open doorways..."

We barely won that round, even though I charged the point twice when Lucio and Zen had ults, yet they never used them to get to the point and stay with me.

Ironically we won because I charged their Rein in overtime and he fell down right outside the capture point range so he couldn't contest in time.

The idea that you have to "stay" in cokepoints until you get a pick off or two or four is just the worst. People can't manage a good team of 5 coming form all sides, especially if you're paying attention and go for the holes in their defenses. Once one person is through the rest should flood in.

Hell in another match our team both teams were holing up at the doorway of Anubis point A and I just ran in as S76 and had the point quarter capped by the time anyone on either team moved from there.

Tabby

Definitely, one of my favourite supports. Easy to heal, does massive damage, game changing ult, best skins in the game.

So was the esl atlantic meta report posted?
1kkFxxNfkPx.png

Im guessing it was but here it is again

https://www.overbuff.com/blog/2016-08-25-overwatch-hero-tier-list-and-meta-report-c-u-lan

I was a little ticked yesterday as I saw a Genji dash right through Junkrat's trap on PS4 which absolutely would have killed him and Genji then ulted and did a ton of damage. Cannot wait for that nerf.

Defuser

Daily Quick Play sucks

Gotta have that 140 hours widowmaker main in my team on Hanamura attack.

That really grinds my gears about people who pick snipers. Why do they have to play snipers on KOTH and assault attack maps? Worst of all they can't aim for shit.

"Lucio Places Really Low"

Lucio is my most played hero.

It all makes sense now.

Lol.

Being a difference-maker as Lucio is very, very difficult to show in statistics. He's the kind of hero that makes an impact just by being there and not dying, so differentiating tiers of Lucio play has to be basically impossible for an algorithm.

Prelude.

That really grinds my gears about people who pick snipers. Why do they have to play snipers on KOTH and assault attack maps? Worst of all they can't aim for shit.
She's ok on point A but sucks on B, and the problem is that the enemy team had 2 Widows that kept sniping her over and over, but, hey, on the 20th attempt she might have won.

antitrop

Make defeat an impossibility in your mind.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Well I just remember I started the ult, got 2 kills and Mei's ult happened and I managed to get another 3 but I'm guessing I used swift strike/didn't get the killing blow. That sucks :(

Yeah now that I've learnt Genji a bit better, I think he does need toning down on console and not even because of Dragon blade. I absolutely suck with it and usually end up with 1 kill. But my general play with Genji is starting to net me 18-20 eliminations with 4-5 deaths. And I know I'm not even playing great half the time. It's just so easy to escape a losing battle and to chip away in high positions/behind.
You're playing the character well; you're escaping when you're low and your opponents aren't finishing you off. Why would he need a damage nerf if you're literally flanking opponents from an advantageous position?

Beckx

this is so good:

Starting points:

EnVyUs has the point, ticking up at 57%.
Winz has 91% ultimate charge on Graviton Surge
Internethulk has Winston Ultimate
TviQ has Tracer Sticky Bomb ready.
KnoxXX has 84% on Sound Barrier
Taimou has just pressed Q on Reaper, Death-Blossoming Rogue just outside their side of the chokepoint on Night Market.
The Play

Taimou bey-blades towards Rogue, losing his Zarya shield in the process. He secures a kill on aKm, drops Winz to 100 health, but gets killed by UnKoe’s Zenyatta.

Winz begins to take additional damage, dropping down to 5 health then heals to 7, but reaches 100% on Graviton Surge. During this time, KnoxXx also reaches 100% on Sound Barrier

Internethulk uses his Winston ultimate and Winz’s personal bubble comes off cooldown. Winz uses the personal bubble, but not before Internethulk swipes at him. Winz does not die, however, as he received a clutch Sound Barrier from KnoxXx in the split second before Internethulk whacks him.

Winz, not expecting to still be alive, lands next to four EnVyUs players after getting knocked back by Internethulk. He promptly drops Graviton Surge and dies shortly thereafter.

TviQ, apparently having watched this all unfold, tosses his Sticky Bomb into the mass of players – securing the team wipe, the point cap, and the victory for Rogue

The split-second timing, the luck, the outcome – this is what Overwatch is all about. Had any of these events happened differently, had Taimou gotten one more shot off, had KnoxXx’s Sound Barrier hit a second later, had Internethulk whacked Winz in a different direction Rogue would be going home, and we’d potentially have a still-undefeated EnVyUs on our hands (although Reunited would have given them an excellent challenge). Instead, we got one of most mind-blowing plays and epic storylines in this still young game.

Beckx

Being a difference-maker as Lucio is very, very difficult to show in statistics. He's the kind of hero that makes an impact just by being there and not dying, so differentiating tiers of Lucio play has to be basically impossible for an algorithm.

i disagree since imo good lucio play will show:

• high elims/death ratios - not necessary that you're killing a lot, but you aren't dying a lot, reducing times when there's no heals/speed
  • high overall healing totals per min of match (you are staying in view of the team and getting heals on them)
  • amount of ult meter gained during match - you are doing things to increase ult over the standard amount you'd get just for time...which leads to...
  • high number of sound barriers actually applied (you are hitting sound barrier so that you get multiple teammates, not just one/two)
  • high amount of damage blocked through sound barrier (a proxy for how well you timed it)
  • number of speed amps (in connection w/ amount of healing - showing that you can amp and switch)
  • high number of assists (your amps are helping the push)
  • eliminations/final blows (same as any character)

there's probably more but those are straightforward, objective measures of play.

darklin0

Banned
i disagree since imo good lucio play will show:

• high elims/death ratios - not necessary that you're killing a lot, but you aren't dying a lot, reducing times when there's no heals/speed
  • high overall healing totals per min of match (you are staying in view of the team and getting heals on them)
  • amount of ult meter gained during match - you are doing things to increase ult over the standard amount you'd get just for time...which leads to...
  • high number of sound barriers actually applied (you are hitting sound barrier so that you get multiple teammates, not just one/two)
  • high amount of damage blocked through sound barrier (a proxy for how well you timed it)
  • number of speed amps (in connection w/ amount of healing - showing that you can amp and switch)
  • high number of assists (your amps are helping the push)
  • eliminations/final blows (same as any character)

there's probably more but those are straightforward, objective measures of play.

You forgot the amount of sick wall riding brah. No Lucio is worth his salt if he can't wall ride all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom