• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesido

Interesting hearing people talk about stealth classes. Does the average player not play pvp shooters strategically or calmly? One person was talking about how the Spy class is the least effective class in Fort because its countered by turning around every 10 seconds, but really why would a good Spy constantly be trying to get kills?

To me their most effective at causing players to become paranoid by playing mind games, like I saw a player actually behaving like the enemy, running from their own teammates while in disguise, choosing to ignore players on ocassion to give them breathing room for their paranioa to hit lower points in the match. Only engaging during times of disarray and confusion. I find it interesting, but it feels kind of like what Tracer does but with Tracer she's actually pretty loud and at my play now people don't typically bother with me anymore unless they know Imthey have an upper hand, if I try to play mind games like hide or croutch as her. They just do this "I'm not playing your game" and either get closer to their teammates or try to survive until someone else comes to their aid.

Besides a couple of interesting plays here and there the game as it is now is pretty much an ult clash, that paranioa during the excitement would be great. Unfortunately Reaper doesnt feel stealthy enough for me probably because of the loud gun mode, I've mostly seen failed Reaper flanks.

I hate Spy classes, and their fucking mind games. I hope Overwatch never introduces a spy class. Constantly checking fire on strange behaving team mates or whatever the hesitation they bring into play is something I hate entirely.

I hate Spy classes, and their fucking mind games. I hope Overwatch never introduces a spy class. Constantly checking fire on strange behaving team mates or whatever the hesitation they bring into play is something I hate entirely.
Genji used to be a spy class and they scrapped it, so don't expect a spy class anytime soon.

Odrion

Banned
I never seen the Spy class in TF2 treated as some sort of mind games master. They typically treat their disguise as something that won't blow their cover for about TWO seconds max and that's it. They'll stick to corners and stay out of people's line of sights, and they'll swoop in for a kill only if they can commit it and their escape within a very few amount of seconds. Reaper reminded me of the sort of tactics I've seen Spies do.

edit: I remember the Spy class in Wolfenstein: ET weirdly balanced in a way that your team will also see you as an enemy and can friendly fire you.

Uncle AJ

Re: ult advantage and Zen's ult

Your team will get the most out of Zen's ult when used to save multiple teammates from an enemy ult that would otherwise wipe you all out. Most common ones being Graviton Surge and Dragonblade. Most coordinated teams will try to combo these two together, makes sense. But Zen's ult will mitigate both at the same time.

So the enemy team has to think one step ahead. "Well, if we have enough normal DPS on hand to capitalize on the Graviton, we don't NEED to burn Dragonblade, too." Either of those ults can wipe your team on their own. But Zen's ult only lasts 6 seconds, so your team only gets one Get Out of Jail Free card. If Graviton catches you and 3 or more other teammates, Zen has to pop ult to save the team, but after that's over the enemy Genji gets to feast for free. Same goes for if Genji pops ult first: Zen keeps everyone alilve (mostly), but then you're all doomed to eating a Graviton.

Now YOUR team and YOUR Lucio (if you have one, which you should) has to prepare for that scenario. Sound Barrier won't outright negate Graviton or Dragonblade, but it might still give you a chance if you agree beforehand which of those two ults to use defenisvely first. Rarely happens in solo queue without communication, though - both Lucio and Zen will pop their ults at the same time because they both noticed the same sign of danger. Sound Barrier is also capable of protecting your team from Graviton + Pulse Bomb (and even Rip-Tire in some rare cases) whereas Zen can't.

And for Graviton + D.Va Self-Destruct, no amount of healing or extra health will save you (I guess it's possible to save a Tank if you time a Sound Barrier perfectly and they're at near-full health beforehand, but come on), so you have to rely on cover from Rein or Zarya.

So yeah. Knowing when and how to counter-ult is very important and not as straightforward as "if you see this ult, use this defensive ult ASAP." Which means being forced to develop strategies on the fly all the time, which is good!

Final note about playing Zen: something that sets a great Zen apart from a good one is not panic-button hitting Q the moment you hear RYUJIN NO KAIOKEN or whatever. First they confirm the Genji's location, becuase he might be targeting teammates not next to him, and then Discord him before popping ult so your team has a better chance of stopping him. Plus he can let a teammate take one slash for 120 damage, then pop ult, and they'll still live, and the Genji only gets one more swing after Trance stops.

Nazo

Seven hours later after non stop writing I've finished my critique on the Sombra ARG. The threads over on gaming if any of you are still interested.

...I'm so tired...

And the next game we have a Torb, Bastion, Symm, and Hanzo. I said fuck it and went Ana. We won! Had some clutch nanos on Hanzo. They were just a last ditch effort and they worked. Such an intense match.

R0ckman

Genji used to be a spy class and they scrapped it, so don't expect a spy class anytime soon.

Apparently it wasnt a spy thing, it was that he turned invisible diring his ult?

Tracer works pretty good I guess but if you are really good with her players just run from you.

R0ckman

I never seen the Spy class in TF2 treated as some sort of mind games master. They typically treat their disguise as something that won't blow their cover for about TWO seconds max and that's it. They'll stick to corners and stay out of people's line of sights, and they'll swoop in for a kill only if they can commit it and their escape within a very few amount of seconds. Reaper reminded me of the sort of tactics I've seen Spies do.

edit: I remember the Spy class in Wolfenstein: ET weirdly balanced in a way that your team will also see you as an enemy and can friendly fire you.

Reapers not really that good at it, his gun shots are loud, teleport has a vocal cue if you dont see it. Too forgiving to the potential victims to be a spy.

Apparently it wasnt a spy thing, it was that he turned invisible diring his ult?

Tracer works pretty good I guess but if you are really good with her players just run from you.
I seem to remember someone saying a while back that Blizz said they tried a backstab mechanic with Genji and said they felt it was unfair to play against. At least, that's what I remember.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hah, Twiq ran Mei on attack again on Dorado in the Overwatch Open. Was it against EnvyUS he pulled it out on the first point? Straight up splitting teams up and picking people off with that fucking long range sniper rifle of hers. Fun times.

BTW is there a VoD for this?

Veelk

Banned
Quick Play.

Two attack symmetras.

One of whom is bitching about how the team is not pulling together.

The other placed a teleporter at the spawn. The original spawn. We're at the third checkpoint, they went ALL the way back to the start, and placed the teleport there.

I quit instantly. I realize that this would just make the problem worse, but I never wanted friendly fire to be off as much as that moment. I seriously, genuinely feel that any symmetra that trolls like that should have their account permanently banned. There isn't enough fuck you's in the world...

Edit: Okay, 5 games in, lost pretty much every one, either because of teammates that are straight up morons or fuckboys or trolls and every game has stacking. It's overwatch hell. It keeps me getting more and more pissed, which means I play more and more like shit myself. I try one more game, only to get two widows, at which point I immediately shut the game off.

Some days....some days, it's just not the time to play.

I thought I recognized that name. Yea, good ole hero stack! lol
Numbani attracts stackers. The match before I was on Numbani defense and they started out as 6 Genjis. They continued to switch to all these other stupid stacks. Thank god comp doesn't have stacking anymore.

So PS4 Overwatch GAFers - do you care if people randomly group up/join with you? I'm always paranoid about trying to group up with the people from GAF that I've friended in case they're already in a group or something.

exYle

So PS4 Overwatch GAFers - do you care if people randomly group up/join with you? I'm always paranoid about trying to group up with the people from GAF that I've friended in case they're already in a group or something.

One time Vault Dweller joined a group of me and my RL friends and then proceeded to carry us for quite a few matches hahahah

I hate how Blizzard have done these file types omg.

nobody seems to have ported most of the male models over to anything usable so I spent the night trying to do Soldier 76's Origins costume and get it up and running in unreal 4. There's something wrong with the eyelashes, so I'll need to fix them, but I'm happy with the rest tbh.

CqvnyjwWAAAT15_.jpg

One time Vault Dweller joined a group of me and my RL friends and then proceeded to carry us for quite a few matches hahahah

Me randomly joining other GAFers would definitely not result in me carrying the game, I can tell you that much right now, heh.

And for Graviton + D.Va Self-Destruct, no amount of healing or extra health will save you (I guess it's possible to save a Tank if you time a Sound Barrier perfectly and they're at near-full health beforehand, but come on), so you have to rely on cover from Rein or Zarya.

Winston can also block a nuke with his shield, assumings its not next to you all in the graviton surge :p

Owzers

I'm a joiner, you're going to get an Owzers in your group sometime people.

Numbani attracts stackers. The match before I was on Numbani defense and they started out as 6 Genjis. They continued to switch to all these other stupid stacks. Thank god comp doesn't have stacking anymore.

It is sad that I have no idea what to do against more than one bastion who like to hide at points?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Overwatch-Gaf, I'm looking to pick up a new mouse since my Logitech gaming mouse of five years is really starting to suck. (double clicking and disconnecting are the main issues) What mouse do you guys use? I'm playing mostly FPS and RTS games these days and I use a controller for other games. Obviously I want something that is wired and I would prefer to stay around $50.

Logitech mice are always decent. So if you're happy with the shape/size of them, can't hurt to go for the same brand.

I gotta plug Zowie every time people ask for gaming mice recommendations though. :p Fantastic sensors, great build quality, and no need to install any special drivers/software. I used a FK for a really long time and am on the EC2-A now.

All their models are $60, so not too far off your budget.

Is Blizzard's launcher borked for anyone right now? It functions fine for me, but the left-side game tab and top right minimise/maximise/close area are 100% blank.

Edit: Alright, looks like it's happening to some others. I'm not alone, hooray!

EditEdit: So it turns out that my Nvidia drivers borked themselves somehow. The integrated(?) back-up was causing the visual issues on the Battle.net. launcher. After a merry hassle, I'm happy report that my 970 is back in working order and everything seems fine again.

darklin0

Banned
Won Attack and Defense on Eichenwald with the Balderich skin and a gold hammer. Pretty sure I popped 8 ults in one round. CATCHPHRASE!

I'd usually rather play with people even if there are no mics, at least for QP. The 20% bonus is nice and even just having a group lets everyone else see 'join group' when they click your name which seems much more inviting, thus the group usually gets bigger.

I'd like to play with that group again, good times.

BankyConan

Neo Member
Playing on the PS4 but don't have a ton of friends in during my weird hours. PSN is my name here. I mostly play support/ Reinhardt and am a little above average (I think). Feel free to send me a friend request.

I read all of the Overwatch threads but rarely comment.

Skii

Just had a friendly Mei on control who would literally wait in the spawn point and block our exit from spawn every single time. QP was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I wish I could opt to never play the assault maps ever again.

By far my least favorite game mode and maps.
Same, awful mode. One good thing about quick play is being able to quit as soon as I see the loading screen for those maps.

If I'm alone, there is no problems. If I'm in a group I don't mind usually, unless for some reason the group is full and spots are reserved, I'll def send a message with an apology if we have to kick. I play with my friends somewhat often, so just a warning in case we're terrible (most of us are decent).

Arrrammis

Not at all! I would love to always be able to duo or trio queue, but I don't usually have very many overwatch friends on. If you ever see Arrrammis (That's me!) Online, feel free to hop in!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hate when I see a purple drop coming then when it lands, it's coins. Currency you can't use for everything. Weak. Now I'll never have Track UK Tracer and USA McCree. Absolutely disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom