• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues1990

People need to get over that she's actually a slim girl who wears layers.

Mei's such a weird case with her design. When looking at her in-game model and design document (the PDF files that Blizzard had created for artists, cosplayers, & fans to use as reference), I seriously can't tell if she's skinny/average and her winter gear makes her larger, or if she actually has chubby/big girl proportions. (You could make the argument that from the waist up her clothes give her the appearance of a much larger woman, but her legs?)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
OMG can people learn to take the bloody high ground?

Like you see that turret in the balcony of hanamura B?

How about rein follow us up there, get rid of it, start our attack from up there, instead of farting around back and forth on the front entrance doing fuck all?

Sayad

Since the summer event, match making have been taking way longer than before(PS4), almost always more than two minutes, did the player base take that much of a hit or am I having connection issues?!

duckroll

Mei's such a weird case with her design. When looking at her in-game model and design document (the PDF files that Blizzard had created for artists, cosplayers, & fans to use as reference), I seriously can't tell if she's skinny/average and her winter gear makes her larger, or if she actually has chubby/big girl proportions. (You could make the argument that from the waist up her clothes give her the appearance of a much larger woman, but her legs?)

It's not a weird case. You can design a character without putting emphasis on the body shape. Why does it really matter in the end when the shape that defines her is part of her costume and design? That's Mei.

LiK

might be thick pants. who knows. people will def need to wait for an animated short that shows her in normal clothes for confirmation.

Since the summer event, match making have been taking way longer than before(PS4), almost always more than two minutes, did the player base take that much of a hit or am I having connection issues?!

I personally see no reason in playing right now, so it might be the player base. Now that you mention it, a day or so after the Summer Games ended, it was taking me a bit to find a new game myself.

Antiwhippy

Ugh, it's real shitty, but nothing gets me more irrationally angry than bad reinhardts.

If you're going to play that way at least let me be the reinhardt.

LiK

I personally see no reason in playing right now, so it might be the player base. Now that you mention it, a day or so after the Summer Games ended, it was taking me a bit to find a new game myself.

it's a good time to practice heroes you don't play often. i'm mainly trophy hunting in QP unless we're losing badly then i will switch so at least we can try to win.

R0ckman

Ugh, it's real shitty, but nothing gets me more irrationally angry than bad reinhardts.

If you're going to play that way at least let me be the reinhardt.

To be honest the Reinhardt doesnt have to follow you to the turret, if you guys had a Solider who knew what he was doing and how to prioritize targets that turret should have been down immediately even with the Rein goofing around at the entrance.

I've had bad Soilders who leave turrets half finished and just rush on.

Kurita

How about rein follow us up there, get rid of it, start our attack from up there, instead of farting around back and forth on the front entrance doing fuck all?

Some people really have terrible map awareness

what are you talking about? the ONLY way to hanamura B is the front door.

Antiwhippy

To be honest the Reinhardt doesnt have to follow you to the turret, if you guys had a Solider who knew what he was doing and how to prioritize targets that turret should have been down immediately even with the Rein goofing around at the entrance.

I've had bad Soilders who leave turrets half finished and just rush on.

It's not even that. Like, learn some positioning. Walking back and forth the front doorway, not even moving forward, and then only charging to the center when your shield is broken is not the way to play reinhardt.

I had a Rein yesterday who I nanoboosted as Ana and just stood there with his shield up, even though we were pretty much surrounded by the other team.

No problem, I just won't boost them again, I think to myself.

TWICE in that match they moved right in front of my friend who was playing Roadhog, and I ended up boosting him. While he would just stand there with his shield up. : - |

LiK

I had a Rein yesterday who I nanoboosted as Ana and just stood there with his shield up, even though we were pretty much surrounded by the other team.

TWICE in that match they moved right in front of my friend who was playing Roadhog, and I ended up boosting him. While he would just stand there with his shield up. : - |

i barely play Rein and I did better last night as him than whoever you played with. I guess this comes from learning from good Reins I saw in Comp. Know when to be defensive and know when to be a crazy hammer-waving mofo.

Blues1990

might be thick pants. who knows. people will def need to wait for an animated short that shows her in normal clothes for confirmation.

I'm probably in the minority when saying this, but I'll be down with a Mei-focused short that showcases her time at the Antarctic Overwatch station and how she lost everyone that was near and dear to her, then awakening/readjusting to a world that is in greater disarray then it once was before she was put on ice.

Yeah yeah, Mei is the hellspawn of the devil. Hur-hur. But for being such an chipper character, that's a lot of heavy shit to deal with and it's such a weird disconnect.

He was just intimidating the enemy team, he is playing on a higher level than you.

/s

LiK

I'm probably in the minority when saying this, but I'll be down with a Mei-focused short that showcases her time at the Antarctic Overwatch station and how she lost everyone that was near and dear to her, then awakening/readjusting to a world that is in greater disarray then it once was before she was put on ice.

Yeah yeah, Mei is the hellspawn of the devil. Hur-hur. But for being such an chipper character, that's a lot of heavy shit to deal with and it's such a weird disconnect.

imagine if her animated short was the most depressing and darkest of them all.

Speaking of Ana boosting... as somebody who plays a lot of Zarya, message to all Ana players: if I ain't glowing, your boost is probably best used on a DPS instead of me. Lost count of how many times I've been boosted at zero charge and been like "Well, guess I'll run in and see what I can do" and have it be just a wasted ult.

Prelude.

I almost never get point B on Hanamura in quick play since competitive ended, it's kinda ridiculous. Like, 90% of the times.

Blues1990

imagine if her animated short was the most depressing and darkest of them all.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. The shorts have been progressively more bleak than the last, with 'The Last Bastion' exploring themes of PTSD. In either case, the shorts continue to clue us into the huge, rich backstory of the Overwatch universe—something we don’t get much of in the game itself (unfortunately.)

Attack bastion wants us to move the payload?

You don't say?

Player in chat on Solo QP King's Row Attack last night, just before the match starts: "If any of you don't know how to focus fire or push the payload properly, go ahead and quit right now."

Then proceeds to pick Torbjorn on Attack and starts setting up his turret at the spawn door.

Needless to say, we got slaughtered.

He was just intimidating the enemy team, he is playing on a higher level than you.

/s
ah, the old high level tech strategy! :p
i barely play Rein and I did better last night as him than whoever you played with. I guess this comes from learning from good Reins I saw in Comp. Know when to be defensive and know when to be a crazy hammer-waving mofo.
it's amazing how most people seem to be either turtles or think that Rein is Tracer.

there is no middle ground for most! :p

Anne

I'm like never on the payload unless I have to be lol

I play DPS and subscribe to the strat that if you win a fight hard push like a mad man and let somebody else push the payload while you push spawn. Always faster to have 1/2 people on the payload while the other team never contests it.

The problem comes when the people that should be on the payload while I do that decide to join me zzzz

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case. The shorts have been progressively more bleak than the last, with 'The Last Bastion' exploring themes of PTSD. In either case, the shorts continue to clue us into the huge, rich backstory of the Overwatch universe—something we don’t get much of in the game itself (unfortunately.)

I do like the implications of some maps where you're basically committing industrial espionage/sabotage, or acts of terrorism. lol

R0ckman

Player in chat on Solo QP King's Row Attack last night, just before the match starts: "If any of you don't know how to focus fire or push the payload properly, go ahead and quit right now."

Then proceeds to pick Torbjorn on Attack and starts setting up his turret at the spawn door.

Needless to say, we got slaughtered.

Unreal.

LiK

I'm like never on the payload unless I have to be lol

I play DPS and subscribe to the strat that if you win a fight hard push like a mad man and let somebody else push the payload while you push spawn. Always faster to have 1/2 people on the payload while the other team never contests it.

The problem comes when the people that should be on the payload while I do that decide to join me zzzz

i think that's a sound strategy for DPS people. either flank or try to clear out enemies ahead of it. Let tanks or support do the pushing.

Anne

i think that's a sound strategy for DPS people. either flank or try to clear out enemies ahead of it. Let tanks or support do the pushing.

Yup yup, you see it at high level play a lot. Like on King's Row, if your team wins big and gets first cap easily, a few people run ahead all the way up to the second checkpoint sometimes looking to clear out anybody who got a staggered spawn or just to put down damage and create space for the payload to move up before the next fight can start.

The side effect is my obj time is always shit though lol

Attack bastion wants us to move the payload?

You don't say?

I only ever saw Attack Bastion while playing Competitive a handful of times.

Every single time, I thought, "Fuck me."

Every single time, it was an incredible pick that swung the game for us.

In Quick Play, where player levels are all over the place, Attack Bastion is almost always true garbage. On a recent GAFfer game, someone was mentioning possible changes to Bastion that could make him more of a viable pick beyond the one-off swap that he is right now. Dakar, maybe?

The idea was to give his sentry mode clip-size the same size as his turret mode. He gets more staying power but is still the glass cannon that he is, so I thought it was a killer idea that doesn't tip the balance too far.

Agreed, but I'll add that Roadhog is a tank that should branch forward and not be one of the payload pushers. He has too many opportunities to create the fights you want for your DPSers to stay back, and he's got self heal for when he extends a tad too far.

Pachimari

I'm strangely okay with Sombra taking her time, probably because I still have 15 heroes I haven't tried out at all. I'm just really slow.

Depends on the character, 76? I stay near the payload.

McCree or other Flanky characters? I loop around to try and catch defenders from behind, especially on that second to last checkpoint on dorado.

Yup yup, you see it at high level play a lot. Like on King's Row, if your team wins big and gets first cap easily, a few people run ahead all the way up to the second checkpoint sometimes looking to clear out anybody who got a staggered spawn or just to put down damage and create space for the payload to move up before the next fight can start.

The side effect is my obj time is always shit though lol

Fought a team last night on Volskaya who had left 1 person staying behind to cap Objective A, while the rest of the team was already pushing forward and were clearing Objective B before A was even done filling. My Mercy tried her best, but my team just couldn't get past their offensive push or set up our B defenses in time, and it was a curbstomp.

Antiwhippy

I feel like you must be playing against some pretty bad people to have an attack bastion be vital to the win. He's the noob wall for a reason.

Doesn't matter anyway, the bastion did jack except sit in a corner and get killed.

Beckx

same. the payload can move massive distances if there's a team wipe. let the DPS do their thing.

man, last night i had so many up and down games

• game where the enemy team's winston focused on my Mercy the entire match, so when we about to lose the final point 99-20something, i switched to tank and the DPS flamed me for being "retarded" because at that point we had no heals. guys? we had no heals most of that final round because i just stared at the respawn screen.
  • amazing KotH match in competitive that went the distance, over 20 mins, i fininshed with 50% avg eng, 50% accuracy, 50 barriers (the 50/50/50!). Elims weren't there (30) because the first two rounds I couldn't get shit done. still a great match. everyone stuck together, waited for respawns, just about everything i could want in a game except for a win.
  • testing Eichenwald as Reinhardt, block over 20K damage, we push to the throne room but finally stall. I overpursued a DVa during what I thought was the final push, only to see her get nanoboosted and kill me. gave them time to set up a bastion on a ledge and our team couldn't counter it (hanzo plz, stay behind me and shoot the bastion!). love this map though.
  • finished with a competitive match where my ping spiked over 500 and never got below 150, was absolutely worthless - finally switched to winston and got kills through the auto-aim, and we won anubis 1-0. more because my teammates were awesome because they were essentially down 6-5 the whole match.

It's not a weird case. You can design a character without putting emphasis on the body shape. Why does it really matter in the end when the shape that defines her is part of her costume and design? That's Mei.

I thought with the Mei playing ping-pong for the summer games it became pretty obvious that she has an average build with what I call "softball legs".

Anne

Fought a team last night on Volskaya who had left 1 person staying behind to cap Objective A, while the rest of the team was already pushing forward and were clearing Objective B before A was even done filling. My Mercy tried her best, but my team just couldn't get past their offensive push or set up our B defenses in time, and it was a curbstomp.

Yeah, this is why Volskaya sucks super hard :<

Near indefensible first point
Attacking team has ult advantage if they win one of the first two fights
Can be at point B before defense spawns while A is nearly capped

Like how do you actually play that on defense? Volskaya is one of the maps I feel should be taken out of the competitive map pool it is so bad. Route 66 is up there too.

Also, yes I know defense does win on Volskaya and you and your friends have done it. I've done it too. Doesn't mean it isn't a shit map that is heavily weighted in attacker's side.

Antiwhippy

This is honestly why assault doesn't make sense in quick play. The attack team only has to win once. The defense team needs to win multiple team fights.

At least time bank made it actually make sense.

I'm getting really tired of the "thats not my job" mentality of people in QP lately.

Oh look, a Winston dropped a Bubble... Should I shoot it? Nah... that's not my job. I'm not a Bastion, so I'm going to ignore it...

Oh look, a Genji is slicing up our healers... Should I shoot it? Nah... that's not my job. I'm not a Winston, so I'm going to ignore it...

Oh look, a Mercy is healing up the enemy tanks like crazy... Should I shoot it? Nah... that's not my job. I'm not a Genji, so I'm going to ignore it...

Oh look, a turret is preventing our flankers from moving around the map... Should I shoot it? Nah... that's not my job. I'm not a Soldier, so I'm going to ignore it...

People have no fucking concept of focus fire sometimes. I played several games this morning where we got our asses handed to us by a Winston. Because no one on the team was bothering to attack his Bubble.

LiK

^ yea, it's weird when people don't fire on abilities/heroes that are causing issues. I will always shoot the bubble. It's such a big target.

Beckx

I'm getting really tired of the "thats not my job" mentality of people in QP lately.

Oh look, a Winston dropped a Bubble... Should I shoot it? Nah... that's not my job. I'm not a Bastion, so I'm going to ignore it...

Oh look, a Genji is slicing up our healers... Should I shoot it? Nah... that's not my job. I'm not a Winston, so I'm going to ignore it...

Oh look, a Mercy is healing up the enemy tanks like crazy... Should I shoot it? Nah... that's not my job. I'm not a Genji, so I'm going to ignore it...

Oh look, a turret is preventing our flankers from moving around the map... Should I shoot it? Nah... that's not my job. I'm not a Soldier, so I'm going to ignore it...

People have no fucking concept of focus fire sometimes. I played several games this morning where we got our asses handed to us by a Winston. Because no one on the team was bothering to attack his Bubble.

yeah, so many games decided b/c one team has the mentality of getting shit done, while the other team is like "good luck with that! not my job!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom