• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a Rein yesterday who I nanoboosted as Ana and just stood there with his shield up, even though we were pretty much surrounded by the other team.

No problem, I just won't boost them again, I think to myself.

TWICE in that match they moved right in front of my friend who was playing Roadhog, and I ended up boosting him. While he would just stand there with his shield up. : - |

When I play Reinhardt I have the opposite problem. I get that nanoboost and start frothing at the mouth. Then I get a kill, now I've tasted blood and need more. I get another kill, maybe two more. I need more. I can't stop. "Reinhardt! Pull back!" I hear, "you've lost your nanoboost!" But I don't care, I keep going. I don't want the feeling to end. I fall into a heaping pile, my hammer swinging to the bitter end.

Any Tracer players in here? Was just wondering how some of you deal with Roadhog. Talked with a buddy the other day and he was saying there is no effective way to take out a RH as Tracer. Personally, I just get right up in his face and zip around trying to bait out his heal. Usually at that point I can sticky bomb him. If I'm mid-range I'm screwed. The safest place for me as a Tracer is pretty much as close to RH as I can get. At least this way I'm lowering the potential of getting hooked. Hooked = Dead. PS4 player BTW, add me if you wanna play. Got off of work early and have to do some errands today but I've got the morning for Overwatch. PSN is Habanero_Guy

I feel like you must be playing against some pretty bad people to have an attack bastion be vital to the win. He's the noob wall for a reason.

Doesn't matter anyway, the bastion did jack except sit in a corner and get killed.

The time of thinking of was on Gibralter and we were stalling on the attack. They had a Rein and Zarya that were rock solid.

Guy switched to Bastion, we broke those two down and then proceeded to finish the map by playing super aggressively.

Bastion is like Mei. Most people who use the character will be a detriment to your team. Every now and then, someone understands positioning and team chemistry and you're glad they picked them.

Jellie

Any Tracer players in here? Was just wondering how some of you deal with Roadhog. Talked with a buddy the other day and he was saying there is no effective way to take out a RH as Tracer. Personally, I just get right up in his face and zip around trying to bait out his heal. Usually at that point I can sticky bomb him. If I'm mid-range I'm screwed. The safest place for me as a Tracer is pretty much as close to RH as I can get. At least this way I'm lowering the potential of getting hooked. Hooked = Dead. PS4 player BTW, add me if you wanna play. Got off of work early and have to do some errands today but I've got the morning for Overwatch. PSN is Habanero_Guy
Bait out his hook before engaging is what I do.

LiK

sometimes it's great to have a good Bastion random on your team on Attack. they know the placements and know when to run away and repair. pretty rare but it's appreciated that they didn't pick them just to troll our team.

Naarmight

I got accused of aim hacking as Reinhardt once, I wasnt even playing particularly well either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish I was better with him, but far too often, I get the bloodlust up and push on far too far.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The time of thinking of was on Gibralter and we were stalling on the attack. They had a Rein and Zarya that were rock solid.

Guy switched to Bastion, we broke those two down and then proceeded to finish the map by playing super aggressively.

Bastion is like Mei. Most people who use the character will be a detriment to your team. Every now and then, someone understands positioning and team chemistry and you're glad they picked them.

Nah, problem is that he has so many hard counters and he's a big, lumbering hunk of metal who works best being immobile in a game where mobility matters so much. Did the enemy team even try to counter?

I feel like you'll take people by surprise now and then but against people who know? Eh.

Beckx

I got accused of aim hacking as Reinhardt once, I wasnt even playing particularly well either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish I was better with him, but far too often, I get the bloodlust up and push on far too far.

one of my season 2 goals is to get much better with Reinhardt. Well played he's the rock that holds a team together.

LiK

one of my season 2 goals is to get much better with Reinhardt. Well played he's the rock that holds a team together.

let me tell you that i've had Comp games where good Reins practically carried their teams. They can destroy teams really well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Reinhardt is the ultimate babysitter. I laugh at Mercys that say they're babysitting. Ya'll don't know shit about babysitting. Support don't know the real shit of babysitting. Reinhardt is the entire babysitters club. Reinhardt controls who lives and dies, Reinhardt dictate the push, Reinhardt dictate the team fight. Reinhardt dictates the ult combos.

Well.. On Payload.

Also no one expects the stealth Reinhart.

Don't stand in doorways, charge through a narrow path like the stairs to the right on King's Row and people start to panic.

Pretending to be a drop bear by hanging out in the house on the second floor before the doorway on Hanamura is always fun. You drop down, charge their Rein or Mei into your backline, and then the rest of the team runs away when you come back in.

Anne

You shoot the RH in the face until he dies? It's the same as anything else with Tracer, use mobility to bait the hook CD and sit around the edge of his M1 range and maul him.

Kito

Any Tracer players in here? Was just wondering how some of you deal with Roadhog. Talked with a buddy the other day and he was saying there is no effective way to take out a RH as Tracer. Personally, I just get right up in his face and zip around trying to bait out his heal. Usually at that point I can sticky bomb him. If I'm mid-range I'm screwed. The safest place for me as a Tracer is pretty much as close to RH as I can get.

I take out Roadhogs with Symmetra by getting extremely close as you say.

Beckx

did this ever get posted? looks like after season 2 the breaks between seasons are going to be way shorter, if there even is a break:

Really great feedback and insights, everyone. Thank you.

Right now it seems like:

1) ***IF*** we take a break between future seasons, we should make sure there is some way to play the Competitive Format during the downtime. This could mean a lot of things. I think there are a lot of solutions to this problem.

2) We should re-evaluate the length of time between seasons. The current break feels too long or at least that seems to be the consensus, and what we're feeling ourselves as players... But the question on #2 is, do we feel as a community that some "break" is actually good or not? Again, assume we fix #1 IF we are going to have a break. The reason I am asking is that some might feel a fatigue from constantly rolling seasons. For example, do you want a week? Or a day? Maybe to either take a break from Comp or OW? Or maybe to try out some new heroes you don't normally play in Comp? Or should we strive to minimize any downtime between seasons?

Obviously, Season 1 and 2 are kind of set on their course at this point. We can't make Season 2 start any sooner and Season 1 is done. So I am more asking about how we fine tune this feature for the end of Season 2 and beginning of Season 3.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748596011?page=6#post-103

Jellie

Playing with ps4gaf and my girlfriend logs into my account from her ps4 by accident.

Also thanks for the nanoboost Ramirez as it helped me get the quad kill for soldier trophy.

Looking at the trophies it seems like I got all the hard ones like both of zenyattas but I can't get the ones that are deemed easier like reapers. Guess I just suck at DPS.

mollipen

Reinhardt is the ultimate babysitter. I laugh at Mercys that say they're babysitting. Ya'll don't know shit about babysitting. Support don't know the real shit of babysitting. Reinhardt is the entire babysitters club. Reinhardt controls who lives and dies, Reinhardt dictate the push, Reinhardt dictate the team fight. Reinhardt dictates the ult combos.

Well.. On Payload.

I love good Reinhardts, I'll always appreciate good Reinhardts, but I don't think you know what "babysitting" is. *Mercy scowl*

Beckx

I love good Reinhardts, I'll always appreciate good Reinhardts, but I don't think you know what "babysitting" is. *Mercy scowl*

Reinhardt babysitting is Arnold in that kindergarten cop movie, inside the classroom keeping the kids in line

Mercy babysitting? you're at a crowded amusement park with the kindergarten class all going different directions, and there's a giant monkey after you. Good luck!

Nohar

So, should I try this game? I'm not a fan of FPS games usually, but this one looks really fun, with multiples roles available (I like that the characters all have specific actions). I guess I could also try to persuade some friends to play it with me, but I'm not really sure they would follow me.

More importantly, what are the plans for the game's future? What is Blizzard planning for this game, aside from new characters? Will there be a solo campaign eventually?

Finally, which character should I try first? I'm more of a healer/support kind of player, though I enjoy playing snipers.

LiK

Playing with ps4gaf and my girlfriend logs into my account from her ps4 by accident.

Also thanks for the nanoboost Ramirez as it helped me get the quad kill for soldier trophy.

Looking at the trophies it seems like I got all the hard ones like both of zenyattas but I can't get the ones that are deemed easier like reapers. Guess I just suck at DPS.

i got a bunch of hard ones and yet i have trouble with Rein. every time i almost get the one where you need to use all his abilities, i get fucking sabotaged by some enemy teammate who saves my target right before i charge in. happened twice last night which pissed me off. so damn close. i'll be trying again tonight along with the Reaper Waste Not one.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So, should I try this game? I'm not a fan of FPS games usually, but this one looks really fun, with multiples roles available (I like that the characters all have specific actions). I guess I could also try to persuade some friends to play it with me, but I'm not really sure they would follow me.

More importantly, what are the plans for the game's future? What is Blizzard planning for this game, aside from new characters? Will there be a solo campaign eventually?

Finally, which character should I try first? I'm more of a healer/support kind of player, though I enjoy playing snipers.

I treat this more like a fighting game. Huge roster to learn, colorful characters who are all unique.

Nazo

I don't really mind the idea of downtime between seasons that much if its like a week or so but at the very least they should have some kind of alternative for people who like to only play comp.

The best way to solve the problem I feel is if Blizzard just ran comp matches as you would normally but there is no reward for wining (i.e. comp points and ranking up) but also no negatives either (you don't go down in rank) and maybe even let people quit out and sub other people in with no major consequences.

I dunno, just a thought.

You guys still playing? Need some people to play with.

Beckx

well, Blizzard plays the long term game with their games, so no real fears that it won't have a healthy future. they've been tight lipped about additions other than new heroes, new maps, and seasonal events (like the just concluded summer games). if you look at other blizzard games, though, the addition of some single player or co-op content doesn't seem far-fetched, but imo it will never be huge in comparison to the main multiplayer game.

as for picking a character to try first, one of the big draws for me is the characters, so browse the hero info on the main site for ones that catch your eye. there's a practice range as well as a versus AI mode for you to learn how to play the hero. occassionally you run into toxic players who bitch or complain, but it's pretty rare for me and on PC the muting tools are dead simple (right click, mute).

hydruxo

You should definitely try it out. It's an FPS but it feels great to play and I've had a few friends get hooked on it who also aren't usually into FPS games. It's a great game for when you want to just hop in a play a few matches here and there.

As far as future plans, Blizzard seems to have a steady drip of content every month and it's all free. That includes new heroes, maps, game modes (at some point), cosmetic items, etc. They haven't mentioned anything as far as solo campaign goes but you never know. I wouldn't rule it out but I also wouldn't expect it anytime soon. I think it's more likely we get a horde mode than a campaign.

If you like healers and snipers, I'd recommend trying Ana. Maybe not right off the bat because she's probably got one of the steeper learning curves, but maybe after you try out some of the other heroes then give her a shot.

Jellie

I don't play fps games much but still have fun with it.

Don't think there is plans for a campaign right now but they give free dlc characters and maps. So far one character has been released with one map about to release and possibly a new character being teased.

I would say ana sounds like a good idea as she's a support sniper that heals her team by shooting them and can snipe enemies.
i got a bunch of hard ones and yet i have trouble with Rein. every time i almost get the one where you need to use all his abilities, i get fucking sabotaged by some enemy teammate who saves my target right before i charge in. happened twice last night which pissed me off. so damn close. i'll be trying again tonight along with the Reaper Waste Not one.
I got both of his but I don't feel like it was that difficult. I guess you just gotta have a bit more luck with the enemy saving your targets.

I haven't really tried to trophy hunt but I think lucios wall riding one might require actively trying to get it.

You guys still playing? Need some people to play with.
I turned off due to salt as I was about to get a kill when I got logged out. I'll be back on in a bit. They are probably still on though. What's your psn

Ramirez

No problem, the Ana QP train don't stop!

A Rein shouts for healing (critical), I shoot him once and he charges from safety to the other side of the choke point, brilliant.

Palmer_v1

My favorite thing on Hanamura is being on attack, and watching 4 flankers all jump the gap to attack from that side, while Zenyatta and Ana are stuck trying to go through the front.

Beckx

A Rein shouts for healing (critical), I shoot him once and he charges from safety to the other side of the choke point, brilliant.

JOIN ME MY FRIENDS

My favorite thing on Hanamura is being on attack, and watching 4 flankers all jump the gap to attack from that side, while Zenyatta and Ana are stuck trying to go through the front.

"I need healing!"

"I need healing!"

"I need healing!"

*cries*

R0ckman

^ yea, it's weird when people don't fire on abilities/heroes that are causing issues. I will always shoot the bubble. It's such a big target.

Thank you, sometimes I throw it down just for the enemy team to shoot at something other than my team so they can reposition. Glad it works, I don't even stay in the damn thing when I do that.

Ramirez

Probably me when I was Reinhardt.

No it was a random, lol.

Just got booted with a message that said "PSN is down for maintenance", wtf? lol

Also I stuffed a Reaper ult and slept a Genji ult within 2 seconds just now and still didn't get POTG as Ana. ;_;

LiK

Dear friends, there's no need to shout "Need Healing". Support can clearly see you when you're critical. They will try and heal you if possible.

R0ckman

same. the payload can move massive distances if there's a team wipe. let the DPS do their thing.

man, last night i had so many up and down games

• game where the enemy team's winston focused on my Mercy the entire match, so when we about to lose the final point 99-20something, i switched to tank and the DPS flamed me for being "retarded" because at that point we had no heals. guys? we had no heals most of that final round because i just stared at the respawn screen.
  • amazing KotH match in competitive that went the distance, over 20 mins, i fininshed with 50% avg eng, 50% accuracy, 50 barriers (the 50/50/50!). Elims weren't there (30) because the first two rounds I couldn't get shit done. still a great match. everyone stuck together, waited for respawns, just about everything i could want in a game except for a win.
  • testing Eichenwald as Reinhardt, block over 20K damage, we push to the throne room but finally stall. I overpursued a DVa during what I thought was the final push, only to see her get nanoboosted and kill me. gave them time to set up a bastion on a ledge and our team couldn't counter it (hanzo plz, stay behind me and shoot the bastion!). love this map though.
  • finished with a competitive match where my ping spiked over 500 and never got below 150, was absolutely worthless - finally switched to winston and got kills through the auto-aim, and we won anubis 1-0. more because my teammates were awesome because they were essentially down 6-5 the whole match.

For the Winston one you should have called for Zenyatta, had a match like that with a stalker Winston told our Zen to do nothing but debuff Winston. Never saw his ass again unless he was fleeing.

Ah, charging Reins. Probably the thing I've spent the most time learning as a Zarya main in Solo QP is a fun game called, "Which of my teammates is being the biggest idiot right now?" so that I know who needs to get bubbled next. It may not be enough for them to survive rushing in like a true Leeroy, but hey, at least I got some charge out of it.

Dear friends, there's no need to shout "Need Healing". Support can clearly see you when you're critical. They will try and heal you if possible.

It definitely helps out when you're a Mercy; I've had a few occasions where I was too focused on damage-boosting one of our DPSs to notice that one of the other team members needs a boost (and they're always quick to send a thank-you, too, which is nice). But nothing annoys me more than hearing "Need healing!" when I'm Lucio. Which usually either means I just died and am rushing back into the fray as fast as I can, or that you're too far away from the group, which isn't my problem, buddy.

Skii

I just can't get the 4 kills with Genji's Dragon blade. I tried today but as you saw, I was playing pretty badly with Genji lol. I think the opponent's skill was quite a bit higher than what I usually play against.

Reaper's 4 kills is pretty easy. Maybe play on solo and just jump down from behind. Some times you get stopped instantly, other times you're getting 4-5 kills. Nano boost will obv help a lot.

Cqy-WhJXgAAAH92.png
got mccree ported over to unreal 4 with the rig intact, finally. did a quick test to check :p
When I play Reinhardt I have the opposite problem. I get that nanoboost and start frothing at the mouth. Then I get a kill, now I've tasted blood and need more. I get another kill, maybe two more. I need more. I can't stop. "Reinhardt! Pull back!" I hear, "you've lost your nanoboost!" But I don't care, I keep going. I don't want the feeling to end. I fall into a heaping pile, my hammer swinging to the bitter end.
you rush into temple of anubis point b, ready to kill, and immediately die

R0ckman

You actually want to dash through them sometimes not around, if anything they are expecting you to strafe around them, going through them spooks them the hell out. Dont always use your blinks. Bait out attacks, when things are on cool down some people will run from you if you are good enough, I've had people purposely kill themselves. Ironically I recently spooked a roadhog into jumping off of a bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom