• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

I just can't get the 4 kills with Genji's Dragon blade. I tried today but as you saw, I was playing pretty badly with Genji lol. I think the opponent's skill was quite a bit higher than what I usually play against.

Reaper's 4 kills is pretty easy. Maybe play on solo and just jump down from behind. Some times you get stopped instantly, other times you're getting 4-5 kills. Nano boost will obv help a lot.

Yup, Reaper was one of my earliest Ult quad kills. There's almost no warning for it so it's easy to just jump into a chaotic battle and use it.

Jellie

No it was a random, lol.

Just got booted with a message that said "PSN is down for maintenance", wtf? lol

Also I stuffed a Reaper ult and slept a Genji ult within 2 seconds just now and still didn't get POTG as Ana. ;_;
Feels bad when you ana ult me and I got no kills/got the kills after the ana boost runs out.
Dear friends, there's no need to shout "Need Healing". Support can clearly see you when you're critical. They will try and heal you if possible.
What worse is when they do nothing to help you survive/run off and then spam it while you're dead. Usually a genji that spams it.
I just can't get the 4 kills with Genji's Dragon blade. I tried today but as you saw, I was playing pretty badly with Genji lol. I think the opponent's skill was quite a bit higher than what I usually play against.

Reaper's 4 kills is pretty easy. Maybe play on solo and just jump down from behind. Some times you get stopped instantly, other times you're getting 4-5 kills. Nano boost will obv help a lot.

I just haven't played DPS much I guess. Mainly support/tank so I have most of their trophies but the quadkills are hard for me. Mccree I never get more than 2 usually. 3 kills from deadeye is a rare occurrence for me.

Ramirez

Feels bad when you ana ult me and I got no kills/got the kills after the ana boost runs out.

What worse is when they do nothing to help you survive/run off and then spam it while you're dead. Usually a genji that spams it.

I just haven't played DPS much I guess. Mainly support/tank so I have most of their trophies but the quadkills are hard for me. Mccree I never get more than 2 usually. 3 kills from deadeye is a rare occurrence for me.

The Volskaya game I had 9 or so nano assisted kills, I think that was your Soldier game, lol.

Of course when I finally join a GAF group, PSN decides to kick everyone in the balls ):

I wasn't playing like myself anyways. Missing easy hooks, bad aim, bad dragon blades, bleh.

Do people do this? I only ever see defenders on the high ground by the arch, usually with a Reinhardt shielding them. I only drop down if they're at the arch.

I'm currently in silver on the PTR and was in the mid-high 40s last season.

Yeah people still do it, it's hilarious.

Won an easy match on Dorado by playing McCree and just picking people off from the high ground and going 1v1 as they tried to get up via the steps. Pharah rocket jumping up there puts her at average height compared to yourself too, so it's easy.

LiK

Some people also just wait and spam "Need Healing" instead of lookin for health packs which are right there! I can understand if you're super low and the health pack was taken but spamming constantly instead of retreating for health packs can be pretty irritating when playing support sometimes. I never use it. If I die, I die.

Beckx

the only appropriate time to use "i need healing" is when you are critical and hiding *behind* Mercy to keep from dying.

i don't mind that, i usually feel bad for not noticing them earlier.

Some people also just wait and spam "Need Healing" instead of lookin for health packs which are right there! I can understand if you're super low and the health pack was taken but spamming constantly instead of retreating for health packs can be pretty irritating when playing support sometimes. I never use it. If I die, I die.
Maybe they want to give you ult charge? I've done that if I know my support is nearby, even if I'm Roadhog, because I know their ults are most important.

Jellie

The Volskaya game I had 9 or so nano assisted kills, I think that was your Soldier game, lol.

Yeah that was the soldier game. You also nanoboosted me when there was nobody around so you could have gotten more. I was so confused just ran towards their spawn and died. Not sure how many kills I got from nanoboosts that game but overbuff said I had an average of 8 over two games with soldier today.

On the other hand, it's equally annoying when you are in front of a zenyatta spamming need healing as he ignores you and tries to get kills instead by himself.

Nazo

Man, I'm never going to get my overbuff rank with Reaper back up to 119. Oh well, I guess I'll just settle for 453. lol

LiK

the only appropriate time to use "i need healing" is when you are critical and hiding *behind* Mercy to keep from dying.

Maybe they want to give you ult charge? I've done that if I know my support is nearby, even if I'm Roadhog, because I know their ults are most important.

I find the emote annoying in general cuz heroes sound like they're whining. I'm glad they tweaked it for the patch.

Beckx

honestly i top off all teammates during downtime, constantly switching. it's a triage approach of getting everyone to a survivable state asap, so if RH and Pharah are both low, heal RH up to above half, heal Pharah to full, then back to RH to bring him to full. RH doesn't need to self heal in downtime, i'd rather have them save that for furballs.

the "i need healing" call out is just stress and makes me feel like people don't understand how i have to approach it.

I find the emote annoying in general cuz heroes sound like they're whining. I'm glad they tweaked it for the patch.

i have never seen my support character respond to "i need healing" callouts in the way the patch describes. maybe only the player calling out sees it, i don't know because i removed that from hotkey and haven't tested it.

Ramirez

Yeah that was the soldier game. You also nanoboosted me when there was nobody around so you could have gotten more. I was so confused just ran towards their spawn and died. Not sure how many kills I got from nanoboosts that game but overbuff said I had an average of 8 over two games with soldier today.

On the other hand, it's equally annoying when you are in front of a zenyatta spamming need healing as he ignores you and tries to get kills instead by himself.

Yea, I had a couple...misfires.

Skii

I think I was playing with you guys as well. I was the Reaper and each point went right down to the wire. That Pharah and McCree were causing us so many problems. I wanted to get the nano boosted death blossom but I think I went too far away from the group so I just suicide ulted lol. Next thing I know from respawn is that we somehow capped the final point and then I see a nanoboosted whole hog in POTG. So good.

Generally a lot of people don't bother with health packs. There's a big one right next to the point A objective in Volkskaya and I rarely ever see anyone even try to take it. It's almost always available for me.

You actually want to dash through them sometimes not around, if anything they are expecting you to strafe around them, going through them spooks them the hell out. Dont always use your blinks. Bait out attacks, when things are on cool down some people will run from you if you are good enough, I've had people purposely kill themselves. Ironically I recently spooked a roadhog into jumping off of a bridge.

Lol... thats hilarious about the bridge. Good idea about blinking through them. I imagine it'll give you a moment while they reorient themselves. Feels good to get eliminations, but its even better when you manage to have the enemy team ignore everyone else and go after you, only to have your teammates cap the objective. Had a moment on the ruins in Ilios where a Lucio pushed me off the edge and literally stood there to watch me fall, just for me to recall back behind him and gun him down.

Beckx

Generally a lot of people don't bother with health packs. There's a big one right next to the point A objective in Volkskaya and I rarely ever see anyone even try to take it. It's almost always available for me.

my favorite health pack in the game is the point B one on that map (left side as attackers enter the main gate)

also a perfect spot for a defender to put 6 sym turrets all in different places, heh.

Yeah it's the worst feeling when you watch your nano do nothing because there was nothing available. But it's the BEST feeling when you nano Hanzo thinking "what the fuck am I thinking" and then he goes to town with it. Best way to find out if a Hanzo is good. For some reason I had more luck ulting Hanzo than I have ever had with Rein lol.

Anne

I mash it like crazy if I'm low health anyways just to make sure my icon is visible :<

I never do it cause like "hey fuck you come heal me now" I do it just to give out the information ;;

Jellie

So it was a misclick? That's what I was thinking when it happened. It's pretty funny as an Ana watching the people you ult. I think I ulted a mercy when I aimed for you which was funny. Also ulted your tracer which seemed to work ok.
I think I was playing with you guys as well. I was the Reaper and each point went right down to the wire. That Pharah and McCree were causing us so many problems. I wanted to get the nano boosted death blossom but I think I went too far away from the group so I just suicide ulted lol. Next thing I know from respawn is that we somehow capped the final point and then I see a nanoboosted whole hog in POTG. So good.

Yeah the pharah was really annoying. Was reinhardt but kept getting killed so changed to Dva but the pharah was still problematic. Changed to mccree and took her down and we won the last point. Also I couldn't see any PotG or kill cams today. The camera was always fixed on one point of the map so you can't see what happens. Did this happen to anyone else today on PS4?

LiK

Man, I memorized pretty much all health pack locations. So useful. Oh well.

Nimby

Banned
From the same article talking about retiring heroes, Kaplan also talked about Symmetra a bit:

Who is the most played and least played character in the game?

The most played character is Soldier 76, and that’s been pretty consistent since day one. The least played character is Symmetra, which has also been pretty consistent.

. . . with Symmetra, I think there are a lot of perception issues. She’s perceived as not useful on attack, which isn’t actually true. She gets used defensively on hybrid, payload and assault maps on the first point. On defense, people are playing her so that the defenders have a teleporter back on the first point on the map, and when the first point gets lost players will switch off of her.

So the fact that she’s our lowest played is not surprising to us. It’s exactly how players are playing her, and it’s not really an anomaly.

Ramirez

Are you Kashi (something like that, lol). Yea, you teleported to the back and I tried to go through the health pack hallway to boost you as you fell into the hill, but a Reaper and McCree gangbanged me.

So it was a misclick? That's what I was thinking when it happened. It's pretty funny as an Ana watching the people you ult. I think I ulted a mercy when I aimed for you which was funny. Also ulted your tracer which seemed to work ok.

Yeah the pharah was really annoying. Was reinhardt but kept getting killed so changed to Dva but the pharah was still problematic. Changed to mccree and took her down and we won the last point. Also I couldn't see any PotG or kill cams today. The camera was always fixed on one point of the map so you can't see what happens. Did this happen to anyone else today on PS4?

Not so much a misclick as a hearing ult statuses and reacting to those instead of surveying the field first, lol. And no, I saw all of the POTGs.

Yeah it's the worst feeling when you watch your nano do nothing because there was nothing available. But it's the BEST feeling when you nano Hanzo thinking "what the fuck am I thinking" and then he goes to town with it. Best way to find out if a Hanzo is good. For some reason I had more luck ulting Hanzo than I have ever had with Rein lol.

I usually try to notice who is actually killing people in general, but my hierarchy definitely goes Genji, Rein, Soldier/Reaper, then Hog as a last resort with his ult. I boosted Kor one day as Symmetra and that actually worked out pretty well, lol.

Satch

Banned
the other day someone asked what pharahs lines are for anubis and i forgot to mention that one of them is "peace be upon you, khalil"

its like super rare i think, ive only heard it once and i was on defense when it happened

Jellie

Are you Kashi (something like that, lol). Yea, you teleported to the back and I tried to go through the health pack hallway to boost you as you fell into the hill, but a Reaper and McCree gangbanged me.

Not so much a misclick as a hearing ult statuses and reacting to those instead of surveying the field first, lol. And no, I saw all of the POTGs.

I usually try to notice who is actually killing people in general, but my hierarchy definitely goes Genji, Rein, Soldier/Reaper, then Hog as a last resort with his ult. I boosted Kor one day as Symmetra and that actually worked out pretty well, lol.

Ah yeah I was giving my status just cos there wasn't any enemies around. Should use mics next time. Symmetra is a death machine with the ana boost. Apparently Mei is pretty good too as she just instantly freezes them.

One of the randoms ulted me as a zenyatta so dived in only to get hooked and killed.

Just played a comp match on PTR.

One player on our team played Widow on attack and literally ran into the enemy team over and over and over again. When we suggested he stop, he said "their Hanzo is killing you - you need me to take care of him." Then he said "you guys suck - you aren't doing enough damage" and then switched to Torbjorn. "The turrets do more damage than you losers."

Then on defense he gave up all pretense, stood outside their spawn and emoted while they killed him.

*sigh*

Ramirez

Ah yeah I was giving my status just cos there wasn't any enemies around. Should use mics next time. Symmetra is a death machine with the ana boost. Apparently Mei is pretty good too as she just instantly freezes them.

One of the randoms ulted me as a zenyatta so dived in only to get hooked and killed.

Yea, he ulted me as Tracer too, lol.

Skii

Yeah that's me. Didn't know you was a gaffer. I'll add you next time. But man I thought I had the jump on them with Reaper and then everyone hid behind Dva :( I think I only got one kill from it lol

Beckx

I mash it like crazy if I'm low health anyways just to make sure my icon is visible :<

I never do it cause like "hey fuck you come heal me now" I do it just to give out the information ;;

it's not really a huge issue and i'm probably being overly demanding expecting teammates to know where i am in relation to them...if you're in front of me, i see you even through walls, it's only when you're out of my cone of vision that i might miss you.

tbh i wouldn't mind a little mod as Mercy that showed tiny teammate icons on the side of the screen with health bars (and x marks for dead).

i'd also like the option to have "Get them off me" as an emote instead of a random voice line trigger, hah.

LiK

it's not really a huge issue and i'm probably being overly demanding expecting teammates to know where i am in relation to them...if you're in front of me, i see you even through walls, it's only when you're out of my cone of vision that i might miss you.

tbh i wouldn't mind a little mod as Mercy that showed tiny teammate icons on the side of the screen with health bars (and x marks for dead).

i'd also like the option to have "Get them off me" as an emote instead of a random voice line trigger, hah.

new emote: "PROTECT ME!"

That was me I think. I read somewhere she was decent so wanted to try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1-xyJi7fwY
RIP Genji

got footage of me doing my quad kill as Genji? :p

Satch

Banned
Just played a comp match on PTR.

One player on our team played Widow on attack and literally ran into the enemy team over and over and over again. When we suggested he stop, he said "their Hanzo is killing you - you need me to take care of him." Then he said "you guys suck - you aren't doing enough damage" and then switched to Torbjorn. "The turrets do more damage than you losers."

Then on defense he gave up all pretense, stood outside their spawn and emoted while they killed him.

*sigh*

lmfao

R0ckman

Lol... thats hilarious about the bridge. Good idea about blinking through them. I imagine it'll give you a moment while they reorient themselves. Feels good to get eliminations, but its even better when you manage to have the enemy team ignore everyone else and go after you, only to have your teammates cap the objective. Had a moment on the ruins in Ilios where a Lucio pushed me off the edge and literally stood there to watch me fall, just for me to recall back behind him and gun him down.

I heard you are on console, yeah she is a MONSTER on there. I have it on PS4 and PC but mostly play on PC my first match with her on PS4 I actually really felt bad playing her. Was killing people coming out of spawn over and over.

I use a sort of nunchuck device instead of the keyboard on the computer because wasd is trash for controlling her and it puts me at a better advantage in combat with her on PC, I had a match where a soilder slapped down his heal, after whiffing his rocket he just booked it across the battle field despite having his heal. Must have been terrifying hearing me right behind him blinking and giggling, I chased him a bit for the laughs but sometimes getting psychological damage on the enemy team is better than a kill.

Jarate

Banned
From the same article talking about retiring heroes, Kaplan also talked about Symmetra a bit:

remember when they nerfed her and tjorborn on console for no reason

Symmetra would need a movement ability if you wanted her to be useful, right now she can only really walk forward, and while you may catch someone off guard, she's just going to get annihilated by players who can aim. And he Teleporter is really easy to destroy, completely nullifying her usefulness on Offense.

NimbusD

I mean, it's situational. A good amount of the time, if there's not a huge push from the opposing team, it's better to let the healer heal you so they can build their ult.

Honestly my biggest gripe as a healer is when your teammates who are standing right next to you, the healer, and you both need health... so they're bright idea (or lack of one) is to steal the health pack and run away from their healer.

People really don't think more than one move ahead. Let your healer heal you, let them have the health pack, and most importantly, STAY WITH YOUR HEALER. DON'T RUN AWAY FROM THEM. MAKE SURE THEY'RE WITH YOU.

It's like if people played mario by running away from mushrooms, head on into goombas.

Symmetra would need a movement ability if you wanted her to be useful, right now she can only really walk forward, and while you may catch someone off guard, she's just going to get annihilated by players who can aim. And he Teleporter is really easy to destroy, completely nullifying her usefulness on Offense.

I think it's been said before, but I think Sym would be helped loads if she could still charge her ult. while her current teleporter is active. That way, even if her teleporter gets found out, she can have another ready to go.

But yeah, as somebody who used to consider Symmetra his main, she can be devastating when the stars line up properly, but if you don't earn your ult. before your first death, she ends up being a waste of a pick most of the time.

I heard you are on console, yeah she is a MONSTER on there. I have it on PS4 and PC but mostly play on PC my first match with her on PS4 I actually really felt bad playing her. Was killing people coming out of spawn over and over.

I use a sort of nunchuck device instead of the keyboard on the computer because wasd is trash for controlling her and it puts me at a better advantage in combat with her on PC, I had a match where a soilder slapped down his heal, after whiffing his rocket he just booked it across the battle field despite having his heal. Must have been terrifying hearing me right behind him blinking and giggling, I chased him a bit for the laughs but sometimes getting psychological damage on the enemy team is better than a kill.

Yeah she is good simply because people can't react as fast on console. As far as soldiers go, the ones that stand a chance against tracer are the ones who throw down heal and stay put. The moment they run from that fight they are done, and I'm actually surprised at the number of people that try to run. The only chance you have is to stay and fight... I mean, just helix the ground.

exYle

Urgh

I want to play Deus Ex

But I also want to play Overwatch with gaffers

AND I ALSO HAVE A LIFE KIND OF

NEED MORE HOURS IN DAY

NimbusD

Symmetra is my most played character and I have like a 70% win rate with her. She's so good if you know how to use her. Her lmb can't be deflected, her rmb doesn't give a shit about shields, her turrets slow people or pick off weak people and she has the added bonus of giving people shields. The main thing people don't use is her rmb, it can be a monster. Obviously spamming choke points is great, but when you're lurking and you can build it up and come around the corner and shotgun soemone in the face with it, you're going to win that duel. Her range is so short on her lmb, if you make sure you're bouncing around like a madman, you can usually keep charge long enough that you'll fry them and everyone else in the room before you can be taken down,e specially if people are trying to focus on your turrets while you're building charge.

As for the portal, I think people are too concerned with trying to get it close to the point, it's helpful to put it somewhere that cuts down time to get back, sure, but if it's too obvious and too close and you're playing against a competent team, it's a waste. At least if it's further off and still gets found and taken out, you took one of the enemy people out of the match for about a minute while they're searching for it.

All in all, I think she's great and definitely under utilized and underestimated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom