• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's my go-to map for her and her teleporter is great if you can hide it in a good spot.

IME there are no good spots. You either stick it on your team's side of the map (in which case it's kinda marginally effective) or you stick it near the point (in which case it gets blown up). The point itself isn't really any kinder to her active kit, what with the close multiple approaches making turret placement a bitch and a half to do effectively, and that's her being down 2 (3, really) skills in a teamfight, just like that.

I really have no idea what to think of that Kaplan quote. Has Blizz actually played Symm at any point? Yeah, you can play her on attack, in the sense that the map will load and you'll spawn, but every* piece of her kit is geared for holding the line. You can play it, but you're by default less useful than nearly every other hero other than maybe Torbjorn, and even he's at least got the armor and range to make up for his lack of mobility, but is still garbage. Either there's some super secret Blizzard-only strat that I'm missing or... I just don't know. I guess it's becoming increasingly clear that she's never gonna get fixed, because nobody at Blizzard is aware there's a problem.

*Other than her shields, which are useless in every game mode! *sobs*

LiK

IME there are no good spots. You either stick it on your team's side of the map (in which case it's kinda marginally effective) or you stick it near the point (in which case it gets blown up). The point itself isn't really any kinder to her active kit, what with the close multiple approaches making turret placement a bitch and a half to do effectively, and that's her being down 2 (3, really) skills in a teamfight, just like that.

I really have no idea what to think of that Kaplan quote. Has Blizz actually played Symm at any point? Yeah, you can play her on attack, in the sense that the map will load and you'll spawn, but every* piece of her kit is geared for holding the line. You can play it, but you're by default less useful than nearly every other hero other than maybe Torbjorn, and even he's at least got the armor and range to make up for his lack of mobility, but is still garbage. Either there's some super secret Blizzard-only strat that I'm missing or... I just don't know. I guess it's becoming increasingly clear that she's never gonna get fixed, because nobody at Blizzard is aware there's a problem.

*Other than her shields, which are useless in every game mode! *sobs*

plenty of places is good. you can even drop it in the middle of the capture point once you took it. as long as you can get like 2-3 guys quickly back on the capture point, it keeps the pressure up. only smart players will go out of their way to look for it.

Trey

Symmetra is useful on Attack in the sense that if your team is already better than the defense, you'll find success. But pretty much every hero is a better pick than her other than her first point defense niche, and even then she only rubs elbows with the mid tiers.

plenty of places is good. you can even drop it in the middle of the capture point once you took it. as long as you can get like 2-3 guys quickly back on the capture point, it keeps the pressure up. only smart players will go out of their way to look for it.

Idk, I guess I run into more smart players :p

Plus it feels like my teleporter is always at the very top of the other team's "to kill" list. I've seen a Reaper bumrush a point, blow straight past a Lucio and a Reinhardt to focus down the teleporter. Only way I see that not happening is if the enemy team just has no idea what they're dealing with.

LiK

Idk, I guess I run into more smart players :p

Plus it feels like my teleporter is always at the very top of the other team's "to kill" list. I've seen a Reaper bumrush a point, blow straight past a Lucio and a Reinhardt to focus down the teleporter. Only way I see that not happening is if the enemy team just has no idea what they're dealing with.

anything to distract them is good. if you can distract one guy into looking for the teleporter, that's one less guy to deal with. and depending on which map in Lijiang, plenty of spots to place it as long as it saves your team some travel time. doesn't need to be as close as possible to the point.

cyborg009

Banned
When I play Reinhardt I have the opposite problem. I get that nanoboost and start frothing at the mouth. Then I get a kill, now I've tasted blood and need more. I get another kill, maybe two more. I need more. I can't stop. "Reinhardt! Pull back!" I hear, "you've lost your nanoboost!" But I don't care, I keep going. I don't want the feeling to end. I fall into a heaping pile, my hammer swinging to the bitter end.

Getting ana nano boost as Winston while your in primal rage is a insane feeling.

Beckx

plus if you put multiple turrets around the teleporter (all in different spots so they can't be blown up at once) whoever goes in to shoot it is going to come out much the worse for wear. assuming they come out at all.

one thing sym players sometimes mess up with is putting their turrets into clusters. that makes it so easy to deal with (like one zarya grenade blows them all up). if there's one on every wall of the room i'm going to take a lot of damage before i can get them all (though with zarya i'll pick up a lot of charge while i do it, heh).

I have almost every legendary tracer skin. I do not play tracer, I do not want to play tracer. I feel like this game looks at who you have the most hours with and withholds their skins so you have to pay for them.

I just looked at more Beta footage and Symmetra could not only build her Teleporter again while it was already up, but she used to have 10 Teleports per placement. What the hell Blizzard? I can understand the change from 10 to 6 (seriously that is SO broken with the Ult charge AND 75 hp shields) but the building up of her ult with one placed would elevate her to one of the most useful characters in the game. Blizzard pls.

If not that, I'd love if you could re-place it when it was already up so you could provide a really niche utility by constantly keeping the enemy team guessing and distracting them. That would be a welcome change without changing her TOO much.

R0ckman

On PTR I got a triple kill by putting a Pulse bomb on a Sym teleporter killed a few people coming out of it lol. Im surprised no one raged from that honestly.

anything to distract them is good. if you can distract one guy into looking for the teleporter, that's one less guy to deal with. and depending on which map in Lijiang, plenty of spots to place it as long as it saves your team some travel time. doesn't need to be as close as possible to the point.

An ult that distracts 1-2 players for a few seconds is not much of an ult, dude.

And like I said, you can put it down to save people ~2-3 seconds of walking time, but that's not much of an ult either.

plus if you put multiple turrets around the teleporter (all in different spots so they can't be blown up at once) whoever goes in to shoot it is going to come out much the worse for wear. assuming they come out at all.

one thing sym players sometimes mess up with is putting their turrets into clusters. that makes it so easy to deal with (like one zarya grenade blows them all up). if there's one on every wall of the room i'm going to take a lot of damage before i can get them all (though with zarya i'll pick up a lot of charge while i do it, heh).

Spreading out turrets is an improvement, but you're still extremely vulnerable to someone like Reinhardt or Winston swooping in and sweeping them out.

LiK

I just looked at more Beta footage and Symmetra could not only build her Teleporter again while it was already up, but she used to have 10 Teleports per placement. What the hell Blizzard? I can understand the change from 10 to 6 (seriously that is SO broken with the Ult charge AND 75 hp shields) but the building up of her ult with one placed would elevate her to one of the most useful characters in the game. Blizzard pls.

If not that, I'd love if you could re-place it when it was already up so you could provide a really niche utility by constantly keeping the enemy team guessing and distracting them. That would be a welcome change without changing her TOO much.

quite the nerf from Beta.

An ult that distracts people for a few seconds is not much of an ult, dude.

And like I said, you can put it down to save people ~2-3 seconds of walking time, but that's not much of an ult either.

hey, it works for me, dude. i won plenty of matches that way even against full groups cuz my team comes right back to hold the points. i have spots i like to use all the time and they work. maybe it doesn't work for you, but it worked for me. i'm just sharing my experience.

duckroll

On PTR I got a triple kill by putting a Pulse bomb on a Sym teleporter killed a few people coming out of it lol. Im surprised no one raged from that honestly.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. This gets me thinking. Do turrets and sentries auto-target a teleporter? Would it be possible for a torb or sym on the other team to put a turret right in front of a teleporter and line up sentries all around it, without actually destroying the teleporter? How evil would that be?!

matmanx1

I'm not saying Symmetra is unusable for KoTH or Attack but I am saying that she's such a risky pick as to be unwise most of the time. Let me put it like this, would you run her in a ranked game on Attack or KoTH versus a competent team? I think it's a large gamble with a high chance of not being a net gain.

Gorillaz

Symm has to be on her first teleport within like the first 3 mins to be worth the pick in KOTH. If she is then the game is tipped heavily in that team's balance

Trey

I'm not saying Symmetra is unusable for KoTH or Attack but I am saying that she's such a risky pick as to be unwise most of the time. Let me put it like this, would you run her in a ranked game on Attack or KoTH versus a competent team? I think it's a large gamble with a high chance of not being a net gain.

Anyone who can aim is not getting killed by symmetra. Symmetra racks up her kills by sentries at chokes, getting the drop on someone with rmb, or in 2v1 situations. Her range is too pitiful and health too low to really do much offensively. Any team that communicates wins free against symmetra.

That being said, she's by far the most fun hero for me to play.

I mean, generally a large amount of the doubt is because very few people play her and usually there isn't much strategy built up around her as an established thing, unlike most of the other characters. Mostly because her playstyle revolves around moment to moment decisions that can change in an instant depending on the situation.

Personally whenever I see a Symmetra on KoTH I absolutely understand how to help them and ensure that she gets the proper usage of the character since she really needs a team to cooperate with them to be used to her full potential. She is the definition of a support character.

I should just write a Symmetra guide or something explaining what her use is on certain maps, there's such a lack of useful non-launch-week info to get better with her. She's by far my favorite character to play as and she provides such an amazing help to any game where she coordinates. No other character helps quite like her and I wish more people knew how to play such a fun character.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I have almost every legendary tracer skin. I do not play tracer, I do not want to play tracer. I feel like this game looks at who you have the most hours with and withholds their skins so you have to pay for them.

My most played character is Reinhardt I think.

I've never gotten a single skin for him from a loot crate.

quite the nerf from Beta.

hey, it works for me, dude. i won plenty of matches that way even against full groups cuz my team comes right back to hold the points. i have spots i like to use all the time and they work. maybe it doesn't work for you, but it worked for me. i'm just sharing my experience.

I get ya, I'm just saying-- in my experience, picking Symm on KotH leads to nothing but misery, for pretty much the reasons you're outlining. I'm not saying your experiences aren't valid, just that they're not universal.

Nimby

Banned
The only time I've seen a Sym (or Bastion) on attack in comp, was when someone decided to throw because they were losing. Sym can deal damage, but her support is so defense oriented that I would rather have another DPS or basically anyone other than Symmetra.

The only times I've been successful with her on attack was in QP, and that's not really a basis for anything. The way I see it, she is a barebones support and a barebones defense hero, regardless of where you classify her.

1. Her weapon is easily shut down by skilled players.
2. Her shields provide laughable support.
3. Her turrets are also easily destroyed, and on console they don't even provide reliable area denial.
4. Her teleporter relies on a stupid enemy team to be useful.
5. Her teleporter is easily shut down by Tracer and D.Va.
6. To set up her teleporter, she must leave the team to a potential 5v6 situation.
7. If you set up your teleporter near your team, you run the risk of it being rendered useless if the enemy gets a successful push.

Symmetra doesn't need many changes, but she needs a couple of reworks like Blizz did with D.Va.

1. A new E ability (shields).
2. A way to keep or gain ultimate charge if her teleporter is destroyed.
3. The ability to pre-place her teleporter and the ability to activate it remotely, so she doesn't have to leave the team to place it.
4. Revert the nerfs made on console.
5. A more durable teleporter.
6. Changes to her abilities that would make her viable on offensive teams.

LiK

I get ya, I'm just saying-- in my experience, picking Symm on KotH leads to nothing but misery, for pretty much the reasons you're outlining. I'm not saying your experiences aren't valid, just that they're not universal.

and i understand what you're saying that it doesn't work all time. it def depends on team comp and skill. let's play together and double up on Symms. :p i haven't played her in a while cuz i don't use her in Comp at all.

duckroll

Symm works on attack as long as the defending team is not backed against the wall. Which means the first point in 2CP, and everything before the final point on payload/hybrid maps. What you want to do is to make the other team think it's a gimmick pick, build your meter fast by placing sentries at chokes which the defenders tend to run through when they want to block attackers off. Then run all the way around the map, and place a teleporter BEHIND where the defenders are defending without them noticing.

It's a lot of work, and it's risky, but when it succeeds, you will see the enemy team go "WTF?????"

Gorillaz

Wouldn't be surprised. I play as Zarya the most with tracer behind and only gotten 1 real good unlock with them.

But I'm getting all this shit for torb. Like I or anyone else actually care about torb post 30 percent nerf in 2016

The only time I've seen a Sym (or Bastion) on attack in comp, was when someone decided to throw because they were losing. Sym can deal damage, but her support is so defense oriented that I would rather have another DPS or basically anyone other than Symmetra.

The only times I've been successful with her on attack was in QP, and that's not really a basis for anything. The way I see it, she is a barebones support and a barebones defense hero, regardless of where you classify her.

1. Her weapon is easily shut down by skilled players.
2. Her shields provide laughable support.
3. Her turrets are also easily destroyed, and on console they don't even provide reliable area denial.
4. Her teleporter relies on a stupid enemy team to be useful.
5. Her teleporter is easily shut down by Tracer and D.Va.
6. To set up her teleporter, she must leave the team to a potential 5v6 situation.
7. If you set up your teleporter near your team, you run the risk of it being rendered useless if the enemy gets a successful push.

Symmetra doesn't need many changes, but she needs a couple of reworks like Blizz did with D.Va.

1. A new E ability (shields).
2. A way to keep or gain ultimate charge if her teleporter is destroyed.
3. The ability to pre-place her teleporter and the ability to activate it remotely, so she doesn't have to leave the team to place it.
4. Revert the nerfs made on console.
5. A more durable teleporter.
6. Changes to her abilities that would make her viable on offensive teams.

A new E is a must, imo. It fails basically every criteria Blizz outlined when they talked about why they changed Zen's heal-- it's boring (fire & forget), it's difficult to balance, and it doesn't feel like you're doing something even when you are.

and i understand what you're saying that it doesn't work all time. it def depends on team comp and skill. let's play together and double up on Symms. :p i haven't played her in a while cuz i don't use her in Comp at all.

Lets!

And yeah, most of my experience is from trying to use her in comp.

Symm works on attack as long as the defending team is not backed against the wall. Which means the first point in 2CP, and everything before the final point on payload/hybrid maps. What you want to do is to make the other team think it's a gimmick pick, build your meter fast by placing sentries at chokes which the defenders tend to run through when they want to block attackers off. Then run all the way around the map, and place a teleporter BEHIND where the defenders are defending without them noticing.

It's a lot of work, and it's risky, but when it succeeds, you will see the enemy team go "WTF?????"

lol, sounds like a good time.

Wait, how is she like on console? I play on PC but apparently she seems to be awful on consoles. Did they nerf her that bad? All my posts are from a PC perspective.

mollipen

Dear friends, there's no need to shout "Need Healing". Support can clearly see you when you're critical. They will try and heal you if possible.

Player: "I need healing!"
Me: "I KNOW YOU F**KING NEED HEALING IT'S MY JOB TO KNOW THAT!!"

If you're Pharah or Genji or Widowmaker, I don't get mad at you, because it's part of your job to be in crazy places I can't see so easily, so I may not have noticed you right away once you're back within range. And Pharah especially gets a pass because of the whole being Mercy's girlfriend thing.

And yes, please give Symmetry a little love. I feel like her console sentry nerf was such a blow. :(

LiK

Wait, how is she like on console? I play on PC but apparently she seems to be awful on consoles. Did they nerf her that bad? All my posts are from a PC perspective.

oh yea, i'm on console. the nerf def hurts. harder for her turrets to kill Lucios and Tracers. her beam gun still wrecks if you're aggressive with her. it's better used to distract than kill these days on consoles.

Player: "I need healing!"
Me: "I KNOW YOU F**KING NEED HEALING IT'S MY JOB TO KNOW THAT!!"

If you're Pharah or Genji or Widowmaker, I don't get mad at you, because it's part of your job to be in crazy places I can't see so easily, so I may not have noticed you right away once you're back within range. And Pharah especially gets a pass because of the whole being Mercy's girlfriend thing.

haha, yea, altho sometimes locating Pharah can be such a pain even with the emote.

Blues1990

I don't know. I play Lucio and Zenyatta the most, and I have most of their Legendary skins unlocked through the level up loot crates.

Nimby

Banned

Nerfed her turret damage, basically it means you can just walk pass her set up especially if you got a Lucio.

duckroll

The only time I get kinda mad at "I need healing" when I'm playing a healer is when I'm juggling my ass off keeping everyone alive AND discording every single person they are trying to target, and a wiseguy who is in the middle of a firefight on the payload keeps spamming "I need healing" whenever he gets hurt, when he KNOWS that I'm keeping him alive, but I need to keep his teammates alive too. And then, if by some off chance I actually get killed, he continues to spam "I need healing" while I'm respawning. FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

oh yea, i'm on console. the nerf def hurts. harder for her turrets to kill Lucios and Tracers. her beam gun still wrecks if you're aggressive with her. it's better used to distract than kill these days on consoles.

haha, yea, altho sometimes locating Pharah can be such a pain even with the emote.

Ohhhh I'm on PC, that could explain some of the disconnect.

NeoRaider

I am realising more and more how playing Widowmaker is helping me improve my aiming and keep my hand steady. Especially with McCree, Hanzo and Mei, it's amazing. I should have started using Widowmaker earlier, lol.

Edit: PC

LiK

The only time I get kinda mad at "I need healing" when I'm playing a healer is when I'm juggling my ass off keeping everyone alive AND discording every single person they are trying to target, and a wiseguy who is in the middle of a firefight on the payload keeps spamming "I need healing" whenever he gets hurt, when he KNOWS that I'm keeping him alive, but I need to keep his teammates alive too. And then, if by some off chance I actually get killed, he continues to spam "I need healing" while I'm respawning. FUCK. THAT. SHIT.

sometimes i wonder if they're even paying attention to kill feed. cuz if you died, obvs begging for healing won't happen. hate those players when i go support. they add so much pressure.

Ohhhh I'm on PC, that could explain some of the disconnect.

ah yea, i guess so. i'll probably double dip on PC once I Plat PS4 or when it goes on sale.

R0ckman

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. This gets me thinking. Do turrets and sentries auto-target a teleporter? Would it be possible for a torb or sym on the other team to put a turret right in front of a teleporter and line up sentries all around it, without actually destroying the teleporter? How evil would that be?!

You could experiment in custom games.

duckroll

Meanwhile on PC... had a Hanamura game earlier where we won on defend and I got POTG as Symmetra w/ gold eliminations. Then we lost on attack, and their Symmetra also got POTG. Neither game made it to Point B.

Sym, like Torb, is a greedy pick.

It requires your team to be on point and for the other team to not get the picture until it's too late.

I love it when it works.

See now when I do it, my team feels as if I'm dead weight. They play better to make up for me.

I play decent, we all win. If I don't feel like Symm anymore, I switch and the team is still playing at 110% and we still win.

It's all part of the plan.

I think I'm very slowly shifting from a Pharah main to an Ana main. I definitely tend to win more games as Ana and becoming really effective at landing sleep darts on targets when needed.

Her kit is quite versatile, definitely find it easier to deal with more situations as her than as pharah, mostly due to sleep dart

One of my favorite memories of Symmetra on Attack was back during the all-support Brawls. I had a team that was on point for a Payload Attack, including another Symmetra who was melting Lucios and Mercys along with me. I earn my ult before we hit the first checkpoint and was thinking where to put it when it hit me: "Wonder if that would work?"

It did. Just slapped that bastard down right on top of the damn payload, and we carried my teleporter all the way to the end of the map. Only downside was we never got to use it, because my team was just so effective that none of us ever died, but it just meant I could keep sticking it back up there every time we hit a checkpoint since it refunded all my ult. charge. Must have driven the enemy team nuts, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom