• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappa

Banned
thank you to the person who posted that link with the tutorial for beginners. It was extremely helpful getting myself oriented before diving in. Got the game yesterday and I have to say I'm upset I didn't dive into Overwatch sooner.

The game is heavily team oriented which I love and I can't wait to hit level 25 so I can play competitive mode.

Right now I've strictly used Soldier 76. I've had my ups and downs but I have to say he's a pretty solid character and for beginners he's perfect. I really want to learn to use Lucio, I like what he's all about but I've been absolutely destroyed when Ive used him... probably has to do alot with how my team is set up though.

I'm currently level 5 and I seem to be matched with people in their 20s and higher all the time. I hold my own though, gold medaled in 5 categories last three games I played. :)

Sayad

I know gold medals aren't everything.

But should a DVa really get gold in elims, obj elims, and damage?

Like, can I get some DPS players who actually know how to shoot please?
This happens a lot, probably due to D-Va's down time compared to DPS characters. Flying to the nearest health pack takes way less than respawning, you just end up spending way more time shooting at people than DPS players.

our widowmaker: 3 elims, never gets on the point or payload to contest, never headshot

their widowmaker: 20+ elims, always gets on the point when necessary, gets crits frequently

thank you to the person who posted that link with the tutorial for beginners. It was extremely helpful getting myself oriented before diving in. Got the game yesterday and I have to say I'm upset I didn't dive into Overwatch sooner.

The game is heavily team oriented which I love and I can't wait to hit level 25 so I can play competitive mode.

Right now I've strictly used Soldier 76. I've had my ups and downs but I have to say he's a pretty solid character and for beginners he's perfect. I really want to learn to use Lucio, I like what he's all about but I've been absolutely destroyed when Ive used him... probably has to do alot with how my team is set up though.

I'm currently level 5 and I seem to be matched with people in their 20s and higher all the time. I hold my own though, gold medaled in 5 categories last three games I played. :)
Do you have a link to that tutorial? I'd like to see it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This happens a lot, probably due to D-Va's down time compared to DPS characters. Flying to the nearest health pack takes way less than respawning, you just end up spending way more time shooting at people than DPS players.

Thing is Dva only effectively has one range where she can actually pump out damage that's worth anything and she also has to split her duties with actually tanking, especially now with DM buff.

You really need a consistent DPS that can pump out damage consistently and at least win most 1 v 1 battles.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've crouched like right next to it when it was on the payload and it still didn't hit me because I was out of LoS.

matmanx1

Anyone got any tips for carrying a team in competitive at low ranks? I've slipped down to rank 32 from rank 46. Had to start 3 games this morning before I even got one that wasn't cancelled due to someone leaving.

At this point, the wise thing to do might be just to wait for Season 2 and new placement matches unless you have some compelling reason to want to continue to play Comp. If you've read this thread enough then you probably know who the stronger picks are right now but just in case:

Lucio/Zenyatta
Genji/Mcree/Reaper/Tracer (situational as to which is the best)
Zarya/Rein/D.Va

I would focus on one or two of those to put some major time in to prepare for Season 2. Depending on how Blizz buffs/nerfs before S2 we might see Zen move down a peg and Mercy move up but I don't see the tank or DPS situation changing all that much.

I feel like every Hanamura match I play, my team is absolutely incompetent with attack. The door is not that hard to push through.

For me it is Anubis. My kingdom for a team that doesn't stop at the 1st Arch on attack and poke and die all day. I did a Comp match last night playing as Lucio and I had 4 medals including Gold for Obj time (charge! Who's with me?? ......*crickets*) and Silver for Obj Elims but our team couldn't even take the first point.

Moonkeis

Going to enjoy this Zen train while it last, he's just too fun right now. I had a 22 streak earlier, was not what I set out for but they just kept on coming.

This has been me in any social interaction since May

or0rXds.png

kaskade

Yeah, I am really confused on how far away I have to be from D.va's ult for it to not hit me.

20 meters for it I believe. It's pretty far but you can hide behind literally anything and it won't hurt you. Reinharts shield, in a doorway, behind the payload. I've never tested it but I think you can even hide behind a tree or sign and it won't damage you.

xaosslug

Anyone got any tips for carrying a team in competitive at low ranks? I've slipped down to rank 32 from rank 46. Had to start 3 games this morning before I even got one that wasn't cancelled due to someone leaving.

depends on who you are playing? Do you use a mic (i don't, LOL)? You can carry w/ Zenny, Zarya, and Torb using a mic (discord who you feel is the biggest threat, call it out, etc. As Zarya shield peeps you feel are in danger and call out when they are too far ahead, and to fall back to the group/you, etc. With Torb tell peeps you need cover/distraction while you set up your turret (or just try to silently do it during a skirmish), tell them to try and cover the turret as much as possible, run around giving everyone armor starting from weakest to strongest health pool-wise), but you need to be super-aware and it requires a lot of team management. It's fun, tho! You can silently carry w/ D.Va, Mercy, Lucio, Junkrat, and Symm.

D.Va - get in the mix and raise your DM absorbing damage while (hopefully) your team is dealing damage to the enemy team, sitting on the payload w/ your DM up as much as possible, boosting out to take out snipers & turrets and then coming back. Or you can play her super-aggressive and set things off, flying into the fray/point and taking out a few peeps with the hope your team will fall in to support you.

Mercy - buff & heal, buff & heal... Again, you need ridiculous awareness to carry w/ Mercy, but it's doable. If you are on a team that's spread out but in the same area a lot of the time Zarya or Mercy's a good pick.

Lucio - carry from the backlines, speed boosting and healing when needed, sticking to the payload, and not going for kills (unless you see an easy push off the edge...) but taking potshots and assisting other characters w/ their kills.

Junkrat - you can play him from the backlines blanketing the battlefield in grenades or and cutting off access to certain areas, and when shit pops off (like huge 6v6 skirmishes) just get in there and throw traps and grenades like crazy - targeting low health chars first and then expanding to bigger fish. He's also great for flanking as his mine offers amazing mobility, but it can be dangerous and bit tricky...

Symm - i know it's a wacky choice, but dropping turrets into the fray can slow down or kill any Tracer/Genji blinking in to take pot shots, and if you are able to snowball her laser into its fullest life-sucking monstrosity potential you can pretty much team wipe by yourself. The difficulty is staying alive long enough for a big group battle to pop off. ;)

and then there's the obvious Rein pick, who sticks to your damage dealing characters shielding them when needed but also getting his hands dirty as required. It's a hard balance that a lot of Reins can't seem to strike, because a lot of them run in there looking like a drunk rhino in an antique shop trying to wreck shit and end up dead more than they're alive. -__-

the hardest part about doing anything impactful on your team is all the attention you will receive when you are on fire... pretty much the entire enemy team will notice and you will become the target, so be prepared!

i have found that 'leading' rather than carrying is the best way for a rag-tag group to get their shit together, tho? D.Va does this well. Like if your team sees you constantly trying to push the payload they will usually have your back and try to push as well. Lots of peeps that play this game (even those w/o much experience) just need to see someone else trying to push the objective and when they take note that's when you can build positive momentum, and even if you don't come away w/ a win at least y'all tried! :)

good luck!

Owzers

When does the leaver penalty kick in, only after a match starts? I stayed in an all-widow-but-me Attack team on Hollywood and it was as dumb and pointless as it sounds.

Ugh, just went 2-10 w/l in competitive... Some games we were winning and then someone left on our team so we lost, others had Bastions, Torbs and Symmetras on attack. I thought that shit was only supposed to happen in the lower ranks but I was rank 63... Down to 59 now. Guess I should give up trying to reach 65 before the season ends :(

20 meters for it I believe. It's pretty far but you can hide behind literally anything and it won't hurt you. Reinharts shield, in a doorway, behind the payload. I've never tested it but I think you can even hide behind a tree or sign and it won't damage you.
Not when reaper falls down and i run back from an already good distance and still die . Is his the same size as mei's ult ?

I was feeling like trying some Genji since I never use him. Every time I do though it turns into some weird troll where half the team will pick Genji as well. How am I supposed to practice this character?

do all alts that have an upwards hitbox have a downwards hitbox too? cus i'm pretty sure I saw someone drop a DVa ult on the payload and Torb was literally just walking around underneath unaffected.

So can somebody explain to me how this works:

Opk2XWA.png

I played one game, we pulled a Victory out of our ass, I played as both D.Va and Junkrat, and somehow that credits me as a loss on the Overbuff site? Does anybody know how Blizzard's statistics are run for wins/losses per character?

Prelude.

do all alts that have an upwards hitbox have a downwards hitbox too? cus i'm pretty sure I saw someone drop a DVa ult on the payload and Torb was literally just walking around underneath unaffected.
They do, but D.Va's ult's hitbox is pretty easy to avoid. You can hide even behind a pole and still be unaffected, so you can crouch on a side of the payload and you're fine. Torbjorn is permanently crouching so I guess he doesn't even have to do that.

They do, but D.Va's ult's hitbox is pretty easy to avoid. You can hide even behind a pole and still be unaffected, so you can crouch on a side of the payload and you're fine. Torbjorn is permanently crouching so I guess he doesn't even have to do that.
Ah ok, I guess he must just have been doing that then. It was just kind of funny, cus I saw everyone else scatter or crouch behind the payload and Torb was basically just going about his business unaffected :p

So can somebody explain to me how this works:

Opk2XWA.png

I played one game, we pulled a Victory out of our ass, I played as both D.Va and Junkrat, and somehow that credits me as a loss on the Overbuff site? Does anybody know how Blizzard's statistics are run for wins/losses per character?

I just looked at my own Overbuff and noticed the same thing. I played one game as McCree (we had a round of 6 McCrees at the start), and all but one player swapped off of him during the game. We won, quite solidly, not even a close one here, and it still counts that McCree actually lost that game.

Defuser

Somebody on the enemy side toxic called my whole random team a cancer because my random team hero stack Hanzo.lol Its fucking Hanzo. They steamroll us yet they are toxic about it. Its fucking hanzo lol.

Nimby

Banned
Should Mercy get a stronger damage buff if Zen is going to get Discord nerfs? She needs to have a stronger buff than Discord if you want that ability to be useful. It should have been Zen with 30% and Mercy with 50% to start with, double damage may be too much even if it's just one target though. I honestly don't think Mercy needs too many buffs, she is still an insanely good character who just can't mesh with the meta right now. And if the enemy team is uncoordinated, they usually feed me my revive in a few seconds.

Symmetra's teleporter needs more health or some kind of added defense, because as of right now, even if you place your teleporter down when your team needs it all it takes is a Winston, D.Va, Pharah, or Junkrat to just come in and wreck your shit with little to no consequences. My whole team died on KotH, so I laid my teleporter out and D.Va just comes in and destroys it, tanking my turrets and my beam and no one respawns, I feel that is just a bit too punishing. Especially on console where turrets are basically just there to slow enemies, and then get destroyed anyway because they are shit. Her turrets should have like 50-60 HP, so beam characters like Winston don't wipe them out instantly, but you can melee them or gun them down quickly. It's also kinda crap that her teleporter only has 200 HP, Torbjorn can build as many turrets as he wants with that much HP, but Sym can only put her teleporter down after 1-2 minutes.

Also this post on Sym is triggering me, I want to bite so bad http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747777147?page=8#post-150

matmanx1

Should Mercy get a stronger damage buff if Zen is going to get Discord nerfs? She needs to have a stronger buff than Discord if you want that ability to be useful. It should have been Zen with 30% and Mercy with 50% to start with, double damage may be too much even if it's just one target though. I honestly don't think Mercy needs too many buffs, she is still an insanely good character who just can't mesh with the meta right now. And if the enemy team is uncoordinated, they usually feed me my revive in a few seconds.

Symmetra's teleporter needs more health or some kind of added defense, because as of right now, even if you place your teleporter down when your team needs it all it takes is a Winston, D.Va, Pharah, or Junkrat to just come in and wreck your shit with little to no consequences. My whole team died on KotH, so I laid my teleporter out and D.Va just comes in and destroys it, tanking my turrets and my beam and no one respawns, I feel that is just a bit too punishing. Especially on console where turrets are basically just there to slow enemies, and then get destroyed anyway because they are shit. Her turrets should have like 50-60 HP, so beam characters like Winston don't wipe them out instantly, but you can melee them or gun them down quickly. It's also kinda crap that her teleporter only has 200 HP, Torbjorn can build as many turrets as he wants with that much HP, but Sym can only put her teleporter down after 1-2 minutes.

Also this post on Sym is triggering me, I want to bite so bad http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747777147?page=8#post-150

Regarding Symmetra, I feel she gets worse as a pick as folks get more knowledgeable about the game. There are only so many good spots for her teleporter and if the opposing side has a knowledgeable Reaper, Genji, Tracer, D.Va, Winston or basically anyone who can flank reasonably well then that teleporter is probably going to go down quickly and she becomes a very weak pick.

The difficulty comes in how to balance her without making her completely necessary and OP on defense. She already can give fits to 200hp characters with turret traps and of course her gun is extremely strong. I sort of favor the idea of making it so if she's alive, her team can teleport directly to her and she gets the same 6 charges as before and it still works like an ult. I also favor a shorter recharge on her turret placement or being able to hold more than three at a time.

Is there any way to see who has a mic on your team when the game has started?

On console, I don't think there is. From my experience (solo queuing) maybe 1/5 games someone else will be using it. If its two sets of groups one will be in group/party chat the other in team chat

They should remove group chat and make it all team, that doesn't remove party chat but its a start

Humanic

Neo Member
Does McCree have a hard counter? I was thinking about this last night and the only one I could come up with is Widowmaker because she has better range.

Anne

You cant give Mercy 50% damage boost. They've tried this multiple times and it always causes problems.

Does McCree have a hard counter? I was thinking about this last night and the only one I could come up with is Widowmaker because she has better range.

Not really, hard counters are less of a thing these days. The things that do beat him comp/strat wise are high mobility.

Humanic

Neo Member
Not really, hard counters are less of a thing these days. The things that do beat him comp/strat wise are high mobility.

Like Tracer? The problem is that his stun is designed to take down flankers like that but is also effective against tanks. In a 1v1, it seems like McCree would win any match-up.

Like Tracer? The problem is that his stun is designed to take down flankers like that but is also effective against tanks. In a 1v1, it seems like McCree would win any match-up.
Not really. Roadhog can hook him and one shot him, Dva can DM the flash, and Zarya can block the flash with her shield.

Other than his flash, he can't really deal with characters like Tracer, Genji, or Reaper.

Anne

More like Genji. McCree's main "weakness" is his mobility is shit, so having high ground or mobile characters that can play around it works out. Any tank not named Rein can fight him right now too, just gotta play around shields. Tracer can beat him btw, if she baits flash he loses.

If you want somebody who can't lose 1v1s pick Genji and 1v1 him. Genji loses other ways though at least.

Man for whatever reason I better luck solo queuing, which is frustrating as I like playing with others. Like last night I solo queued and picked Mei which people say not to do and went 16-0 with her and the opposition couldn't even unlock the payload on Kings Road. Never would get that in a group queue with a full communicating group on the other side.

Defuser

Is it just me or Genji's swift strike got a bug? Im not talking about the junkrat trap but I died a few times whenever I swift strike. Like if I swift strike away from a hit I fly away dying although I was full health.

Just got DC'd from OW. Is this happening to anyone else?

EDIT: Every time I join a game, I lose connection almost immediately. RIP servers. Probably more whinerbabies DOSing.

LiK

Man for whatever reason I better luck solo queuing, which is frustrating as I like playing with others. Like last night I solo queued and picked Mei which people say not to do and went 16-0 with her and the opposition couldn't even unlock the payload on Kings Road. Never would get that in a group queue with a full communicating group on the other side.

did anyone yell at you to switch? and if you're good with an underrated hero, you'll usually do well.

playing with a full group usually results in fighting against another full group and they're usually better coordinated which results in much tougher games.

Not really but as mentioned his mobility is awful so he can't really create opportunities for himself like the other offense heroes. Tracer and Genji beat him close quarters if he wastes his flash bang (anti-flashbang tech = jump). Also he's more reliant on his team for him to really stretch his legs and do work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom