• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilDog

I think I just found a way to never lose rank on PTR on competitive.

Any PCers over here that are willing to test it with me? I don't want this to go into season 2.

DevilDog#2294

Someone that is withing the range of rank 2934.

LiK

alright, 45/45 is my sweet spot. any higher and it's too swimmy for me. was in a full group with some dudes and we managed to win most of the matches.

None of that should be a problem. The only worry in OW is that playing some heroes (notably support heroes) is a sort of handicap, and they claim to have addressed that.

Basically what the placement matches are trying to do is establish an Elo ranking for every player. With only 10 games of data to reply on, the "swings" in ranking can be quite aggressive, especially if someone is "getting lucky" and winning more than they would over the course of, say, 50 or 100 or 1,000 games. This can mean that a player who would, over the course of those 1,000 games, end up at SR2500 is instead "placed" at SR3500 after 10 lucky games. Or vice-versa.

Blizzard made some tweaks behind the scenes to make this less likely to happen -- most likely by weighting the significance of those first 10 games and keeping the Elo in a tighter band. So you won't be unduly rewarded--or punished--for your performance in those placement matches.

It wasn't just "certain heroes," it's that medaling placed a role in placement (and rank points). Changing the importance of placement matches is great, but until they address the fact that individual performance is prized so highly, I guarantee you're going to see a spike in toxicity.

DevilDog

are you a reaper main

Yes.

No
CwKNaJx.png

Ya'll need to play some cod 4.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Like honestly CoD4 was probably where I started to really dislike multiplayer FPS. I feel like the genre has been in modern warfare purgatory since then which I'm 100% not interested in. Overwatch felt like a breath of fresh air after all that.

Skii

Like honestly CoD4 was probably where I started to really dislike multiplayer FPS. I feel like the genre has been in modern warfare purgatory since then which I'm 100% not interested in. Overwatch felt like a breath of fresh air after all that.

Cod4 was actually the last FPS I truly enjoyed until Overwatch. Cod4 and Overwatch do have similarities for me with regard to how well balanced everything is and how mechanically everything just feels right.

Titanfall had me for a long time but I moved away after a while due to the lack of content, and I haven't really had anything since. Destiny for a bit, then Battlefront, but nothing like Overwatch. Can't get enough of it tbh.

DevilDog

The movement and the shooting in this game pretty much directly copy anything from cod 4.

I can't argue about the legacy but cod 4 was top notch on PC.
Fantastic singleplayer, fantastic multiplayer, server browsers, PROMOD, server rulesets you name it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Titanfall had me for a long time but I moved away after a while due to the lack of content, and I haven't really had anything since. Destiny for a bit, then Battlefront, but nothing like Overwatch. Can't get enough of it tbh.

Yeah, Titanfall was the last MP game that really grabbed me before Overwatch.

Hope they make a sequel one day.

*cry*

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
It'd be cool to get a good group and just do all of our placement matches in one night. Try to start off highly ranked.

I'm going to really try and make Ana work in competitive, playing in a group, against other groups, there might be some growing pains.

Definitely sign me up! I'm excited to play Mercy again now that Zen's not a must-pick, and I think there might be some slept on potential for coordinated teams running her and Ana.

My PSN is the same as my ID here.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I shit you not, this just happened in my chat.

2016-08-3102_43_00-20ppsfq.png

Trust me, no photoshop.

Antiwhippy

On an unrelated note, mccree is a potg machine. I've been doing shit last night and getting silver in elims but I'll more often than not get the potg.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
>Die as enemies are on last point of Volskaya capturing
>Cam switches to team's McCree
>McCree says his Ultimate is almost ready
>See McCree spray a wall
>Walk back and forth a little
>"It's High Noon..."
>DEFEAT

Antiwhippy

>Die as enemies are on last point of Volskaya capturing
>Cam switches to team's McCree
>McCree says his Ultimate is almost ready
>See McCree spray a wall
>Walk back and forth a little
>"It's High Noon..."
>DEFEAT

He's doing it wrong.

You spray AFTER you ult.

matmanx1

This makes me sad.

Well, at least they are working on it and aware that many people want it.

In other news, I played a couple of maintenance matches tonight. I'm playing less overall right now just because we're in between seasons and I have a busy life but I also don't want to get out of practice.

First match was forgettable. Attack on Route 66 and I went Zarya. Everyone else picks and we have no healer. Surprisingly we pushed the payload all the way to the last checkpoint but couldn't finish. No biggie.

Second game on Numbani defense I picked Zarya again and had 22 Elims, 4 deaths and 31 projected barriers with over 1600dmg blocked via projected barrier and 4500dmg blocked on my personal barrier. Had kill streaks of 10 and 11. And of course we lost, in overtime, but I can't feel bad about a game like that. I was on and everything was clicking.

Last game was Dorado attack and I finally got a win. Played Zenyatta and had the MVP card with 88% of the match on fire. 18 Elims, 8 deaths. Won in overtime.

Overall, for not having played since sometime last week I'm not feeling too bad about my games tonight. I am anxious for the new patch to drop on Live servers and for S2 to start.

It's like his intro.

"This is McCree, and welcome to Jackass."

If there is anybody that's going to host Jackass from Overwatch, it would definitely be McCree.

Nah man you have to have full confidence and ego in yourself just on case you really need up.

Nothing better than seeing really cocky assholes attempt to do something that just falls flat immediately.

I love when people emote after getting a couple kills thinking it'll show in POTG, and I just run up and kill them.

R0ckman

Ahh... my egyptain queen is back! :)

Edit: Dominated with her on KotH and dogded so many Roadhog hooks the hog eventually just quit and went Rein, before that he actually chose to stop using it on me. I terrorized the battle field of course we lost because my team had garbage survivability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom