• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand this. If you're shooting at Genji from anywhere in his FOV, you've accepted the risk the player will be good enough to reflect.

Have you considered flanking?

I do flank a lot. The main issue like I said is that it's deceptive. I can be aiming at someone else entirely, and he comes in with a dash, not even aiming for me, and shots are being deflected when I'm shooting wide.

I don't care if it's supposed to protect him. I want to know whats the safe shooting zone. He can be standing behind a doorway deflecting and shots bounce and you don't even see the deflect animation. Sure he's probably not aiming at you but it's still extremely deceptive.

Either nerf the hitbox so it matches the animation, or widen the animation so it matches the hitbox. Not this invisible deflection zone business

I mean Genjis deflect is fine.

Just don't shoot at it. Also, a lot of deflects are somewhat predictable as to when they use it, so you can time your shots well.

But seriously, don't shoot at it.

R0ckman

I do flank a lot. The main issue like I said is that it's deceptive. I can be aiming at someone else entirely, and he comes in with a dash, not even aiming for me, and shots are being deflected when I'm shooting wide.

I don't care if it's supposed to protect him. I want to know whats the safe shooting zone. He can be standing behind a doorway deflecting and shots bounce and you don't even see the deflect animation. Sure he's probably not aiming at you but it's still extremely deceptive.

Either nerf the hitbox so it matches the animation, or widen the animation so it matches the hitbox. Not this invisible deflection zone business

Did you see the video? The hitbox is actually laughingly huge.

ohkay

Real talk: is Genji really that hard to deal with outside of his ult on live? The only real problem with him is that his ultimate is capable of swinging the momentum of an entire match.

I said it earlier, if the hit box was the same size as the character model, it would literally be worthless. Genji is already hard as fuck to hit, his deflect won't do shit if no one can hit it. This big hit box actually allows it to do something useful.

Genji was never the problem, I still stand on it was all Zen's fault. The second he became viable we ended up with one type of effective comp.
This is a good point. I agree that they should've gone after Genji's ult charge speed rather than the other stuff, but since that Zen buff he's a mainstay.

Winston can keep up with Genji, but that's assuming Genji doesn't fall back to his team where they can murder Winston. Winston also a big juicy target for anyone who can hit him outside his tesla, so it's a risk putting him on your team just to focus Genji. Do you chase him or do you let him come to the payload/capture point? Winston, and Symmetra to a lesser degree, is good against him but I feel they not only have range issues but also hinder their team if they're played solely to try to counter Genji.

Satch

Banned
The thing I have against Genji's deflect, as well as like Reaper's ult, is there's no visual cue as to where it begins and ends. Many times I've thrown a flashbang to what I thought was the side or the ground only to have it thrown back in my face. Either change the animation to fit the hitbox of his deflect or change the hitbox of his deflect to match the size of his animation. Concerning his viability, I think he either needs to be looked at or Blizzard should add a character that's a hard counter, but then I think every character should have a hard counter to promote hero switching and variety. In my experience it's been very difficult to look at a good Genji that regularly kills me and be able to pinpoint the correct way to counter. Genji is at a great advantage 1v1 regardless of who he's against, but to gang up on him ignores the rest of the enemy team and could result in him just dashing to safety regardless. I can look at, say, a good Tracer and be able to plan and coordinate a good counter that doesn't result in our team focusing solely on her. With Genji I honestly don't know what to do if he's being played right.
Learn to count lol

Winston can keep up with Genji, but that's assuming Genji doesn't fall back to his team where they can murder Winston. Winston also a big juicy target for anyone who can hit him outside his tesla, so it's a risk putting him on your team just to focus Genji. Do you chase him or do you let him come to the payload/capture point? Winston, and Symmetra to a lesser degree, is good against him but I feel they not only have range issues but also hinder their team if they're played solely to try to counter Genji.
He may not kill Genji often, but he keeps him in check. If Genji has a Winston on him constantly, there is not much he can do but escape with dash, which is a win because he just wasted an important ability. Plus, Winston annoys the shit out of Genji and a lot of times, it gets them to switch or make stupid decisions just to try and kill you.

Sometimes annoying Genji can be enough to deal with him.

R0ckman

One time a Winston tried to counter our Genji, I ordered a discord orb on em'. Never saw the monkey again.

taco543

So I was playing with a couple of GAFers earlier and we were playing on Ilios. We were getting stomped in the first round couldn't make it to contest the point and I just dropped my ult right after the round ended, I got a quadra, and it gave me play of the game which is hilarious because it didn't have a clip to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf9TRFZ7N0Q

Satch

Banned
This fucking zarya in my game just finished off a pharah i was having an air battle with

Zarya was on the point and the enemy pharah was by the theater near the bus and she actually landed a shot with her fucking right click and killed her

i was in shock, like holy shit

She was in the fucking air too like how the fuck, if you could have seen it you would have been in awe

Another DDoS - got kicked again. Figures I can get through the game where my team on defense is terrible but the offense isn't particularly better but we lose anyway, but then we get to attack and are pushing fast and it dies in the middle of that. Of course.

Squire

Banned
The thing I have against Genji's deflect, as well as like Reaper's ult, is there's no visual cue as to where it begins and ends. Many times I've thrown a flashbang to what I thought was the side or the ground only to have it thrown back in my face. Either change the animation to fit the hitbox of his deflect or change the hitbox of his deflect to match the size of his animation. Concerning his viability, I think he either needs to be looked at or Blizzard should add a character that's a hard counter, but then I think every character should have a hard counter to promote hero switching and variety. In my experience it's been very difficult to look at a good Genji that regularly kills me and be able to pinpoint the correct way to counter. Genji is at a great advantage 1v1 regardless of who he's against, but to gang up on him ignores the rest of the enemy team and could result in him just dashing to safety regardless. I can look at, say, a good Tracer and be able to plan and coordinate a good counter that doesn't result in our team focusing solely on her. With Genji I honestly don't know what to do if he's being played right.

Mmm, I don't think this point carries a lot of weight because it's not just a visual game - the audio design is key. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest you learn the time duration on Genji's deflect, Reaper's ult, Junkrat's ult, Mei's ice block... I could go on. Like, that's an element of the game the same as any other. Timings are balanced and tweaked and we learn them and play around them.

Now if Genji just happens to be mid-deflect and you toss that flash bang, that's bad luck at the absolute best. More likely you're just not paying attention or haven't learned the timing.

I actually have limited eye sight myself and I think the tells are fine, visually. I don't think a bunch of flamboyant sign waves would be healthy for the game.

darklin0

Banned

I am currently at 900 sensitivity, I used to be at 2800 due to mobas and other RTS. My aiming is a lot better now than it was before, or should I say more consistent. I can get headshots a lot more consistently now, before it was mostly twitch reactions to land a lot of shots on the body.

Squire

Banned

I don't know, my dude. Honestly? It sounds like you got owned pretty legitimately with the bolded. I don't know what to make of that, but to say it sounds like a clutch play by Genji or dumb luck. Whichever you prefer. Maybe he's just not a good match up for you?

Not trying to be a dick. Honestly, I don't even think of myself as being very good, I'm just not seeing the issue here. Seems like you need to learn how to address this character before Blizz makes s change that'll potentially, ostensibly make part of his kit useless.

Owzers

Playing Ana as a solo healer is tough even with good aim unless people know to stay in your sight lines if they need heals (which almost definitely they don't).

i don't think i want to shoot people to heal them all the time either, maybe Ana isn't going to be for me despite wanting to try a few more times. I'm still waiting on Mercy buffs to go back to her for my support healing choice.

Mmm, I don't think this point carries a lot of weight because it's not just a visual game - the audio design is key. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest you learn the time duration on Genji's deflect, Reaper's ult, Junkrat's ult, Mei's ice block... I could go on. Like, that's an element of the game the same as any other. Timings are balanced and tweaked and we learn them and play around them.

Now if Genji just happens to be mid-deflect and you toss that flash bang, that's bad luck at the absolute best. More likely you're just not paying attention or haven't learned the timing.

I actually have limited eye sight myself and I think the tells are fine, visually. I don't think a bunch of flamboyant sign waves would be healthy for the game.

Genji can cancel his deflect with a dash at any point though, so I don't think timing is really the issue. I also absolutely think there needs to be very clear, if flamboyant, signs of any kind of hitbox. It's why so many people flip out over Hanzo shooting 'tree trunks'.

It's not even that I want him to be nerfed, I moreso want a character that can somehow keep him from dashing out of range. I'm not sure how well this would be balanced, but part of me hopes Sombra's ability is to lock one character's abilities for a couple seconds. A Genji suddenly unable to use his dash when he thinks he can use it would devastate him, even for a second.

Squire

Banned
Genji can cancel his deflect with a dash at any point though, so I don't think timing is really the issue. I also absolutely think there needs to be very clear, if flamboyant, signs of any kind of hitbox. It's why so many people flip out over Hanzo shooting 'tree trunks'.

It's not even that I want him to be nerfed, I moreso want a character that can somehow keep him from dashing out of range. I'm not sure how well this would be balanced, but part of me hopes Sombra's ability is to lock one character's abilities for a couple seconds. A Genji suddenly unable to use his dash when he thinks he can use it would devastate him, even for a second.

It's not like they'd implement that without giving the player on the receiving end an indication that their skill is locked though. Then you just have a Genji that plays more conservatively for a couple of seconds. That doesn't seem like a big issue for a character that doesn't even work the front line.

This is all assuming you're playing a half decent Genji, which is all this discussion should concern. I just don't subscribe to the thinking this character is any sort of OP in the hands of SR 40s. And I've taken my Ls and been annoyed with my fair share. Trust me.

I don't know, my dude. Honestly? It sounds like you got owned pretty legitimately with the bolded. I don't know what to make of that, but to say it sounds like a clutch play by Genji or dumb luck. Whichever you prefer. Maybe he's just not a good match up for you?

Not trying to be a dick. Honestly, I don't even think of myself as being very good, I'm just not seeing the issue here. Seems like you need to learn how to address this character before Blizz makes s change that'll potentially, ostensibly make part of his kit useless.

I can list several different situations with different chars and some random genji deflect when I'm not even aiming for him screws things up. It doesn't even have to hit me, but it goes to an ally. In the situation I mentioned my shots just went elsewhere and not to me. But how the hell am I to know genji's deflect is protecting someone else.

Genji can be behind a doorway, looking at someone else, use deflect. And depending on the angle, the shooter will never even know genji was there but the deflect is bouncing the shots. Shooter is safe but if he was aiming at a target the he'd be wondering whats going on.

Genji can be inadvertently protect a teammate with deflect and no one would know because the hitbox is so huge with no visual cue to it's size. Shooter can be up high aiming at the ally beside genji but can't even hit the target. But ends up shooting a teammate that genji is aiming for because he has deflect up with no visual cue to it's size.

I literally have no issues dealing with genji. I do have an issue with deflect just blatantly lying about it's position. Sure it's supposed to cue to enemies not to shoot him. And thats entirely fine. But even if you don't intend to shoot him you can still end up shooting the deflect just due to not knowing how big it is.

I don't care if they don't change the hitbox size. Hell Blizzard can buff Genji's deflect for all I care. Make it the size of the map and thats fine with me. I won't shoot during that time. Just make the damn hitbox match the visual cue.

NimbusD

What? I had that and I switched it the other way because everything I read said the opposite.

I guess it probably depends on your sensor, if it's not REALLY higher DPI and just guessing at the in between values (from what I've read, no idea if that's right), then lower dpi is good. Idk I'm at a loss.

R0ckman

Got a flawless Pharah quad kill ult and play of game went to my team Mercy resing a wipe then wiping again from a Reaper ult :(
(I wasnt in the wipe)

Again on a team where my airbone goddess with 45 direct rocket hits and 67% accuracy could not save them. We still lost :(

Genji's certainly not OP, I just want a better way to deal with him. Winston is his biggest counter and to Genji he's nothing more than an annoyance at best, which to me isn't good enough. The game revolves around characters that all fit niche roles depending on the situation and as it develops, people are forced to switch characters and come up with new strategies. The game works best for me when it's in a constant state of changing variety. At the moment, I don't think there's any character that can force Genji to switch characters because his tool kit works to any situation. Beyond fixing his deflect hitbox, I don't really think he needs any nerfs. Even pre-patch Genji would be fine if there was a character that's better built to deal with him, which I find Winston doesn't fill as well as I would want him to.

It will be interesting to see at least how he develops now that he doesn't have that burst combo nor as much mobility. Personally, I dunno that they took the right route in dealing with him but maybe I'll feel differently in a month or two after experiencing it.

Squire

Banned
Genji's certainly not OP, I just want a better way to deal with him. Winston is his biggest counter and to Genji he's nothing more than an annoyance at best, which to me isn't good enough. The game revolves around characters that all fit niche roles depending on the situation and as it develops, people are forced to switch characters and come up with new strategies. The game works best for me when it's in a constant state of changing variety. At the moment, I don't think there's any character that can force Genji to switch characters because his tool kit works to any situation. Beyond fixing his deflect hitbox, I don't really think he needs any nerfs. Even pre-patch Genji would be fine if there was a character that's better built to deal with him, which I find Winston doesn't fill as well as I would want him to.

It will be interesting to see at least how he develops now that he doesn't have that burst combo nor as much mobility. Personally, I dunno that they took the right route in dealing with him but maybe I'll feel differently in a month or two after experiencing it.

Winston is an annoyance? Winston is Genji's ride back to the spawn room or its bad Winston.

I don't think the end goal should be getting the other player to switch off, either. You try to suppress the opposing team's efforts. Whether they switch off or not seems irrelevant. Let the Genji mains play Genji, just keep the pressure on. Winston is great for that.

duckroll

Does Overwatch feel more boring than it should after the Summer Games ended? I'm not sure exactly what it is, but the feeling is weird. The games are still fun, but there's this psychological feel that we're in a down period down whenever the client launches. Maybe it's because the end of the Summer Games coincided with the end of the Competitive Season, and also the reveal of the new map and emotes, which still aren't live? The waiting feeling makes the live servers feel weird!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Does Overwatch feel more boring than it should after the Summer Games ended? I'm not sure exactly what it is, but the feeling is weird. The games are still fun, but there's this psychological feel that we're in a down period down whenever the client launches. Maybe it's because the end of the Summer Games coincided with the end of the Competitive Season, and also the reveal of the new map and emotes, which still aren't live? The waiting feeling makes the live servers feel weird!

Yeah it's in a weird holding period for me atm.

darklin0

Banned
Were you wrecking? If you still do really good personally compared to your team you shouldn't suffer. This will really help me if things go wrong in comp.

I average 2-3 gold medals when I lose a game and I usually lose about 80-110 points. But when I win, even on games I get 2-3 gold medals I gain at most 40 points. For example, today I won about 54% of my games, I went from 3175 to ~2440. I am crying myself to sleep tonight.

Squire

Banned

We need that shot in the arm. I really think not patching today was a mistake. Seems like they overextended with this patch.

Satch

Banned

yeah we all know theres a new map but we cant play it on live, id really rather the new changes push to live asap so we dont have comp start and nobody knows where to go or what the changes are to the heroes

its made worse by that sombra arg thing lol, we know she exists and we're not gonna get her for a while longer

xaosslug

yeah, kinda feel like I'm going through the motions rn, tbh.

All my PS4 brethren, while you wait for the ddos attack to end, play some ni-oh, its really good!

yep, playing rn! :D

Blues1990

We need that shot in the arm. I really think not patching today was a mistake. Seems like they overextended with this patch.

Maybe. Still, while it's a bummer that the release date wasn't today, hopefully it will be soon. Season 2 of competitive is on its way & it doesn't give players enough time to get ready for the changes.

scoobs

I mean Genjis deflect is fine.

Just don't shoot at it. Also, a lot of deflects are somewhat predictable as to when they use it, so you can time your shots well.

But seriously, don't shoot at it.

Don't shoot at all, in any direction, because the hit box is the size of 4 roadhogs stacked on top of eachother

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom