• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

Weird, I think I've been taken off the Google doc. I know I haven't played in like a month and a half but still :p. Also, I can't seem to find your name either LiK?

Oh, I never added myself to it. Don't want random friend requests. I'd rather add people who I actually talk to here.

Yea I've been there before, I assume he thought he could finish him off but that's not usually the case. I always target tanks for my sleep darts and go for other enemies while the tank is sleeping. rarely I will go for the kill.

edit:small patch on ptr right now.

Yeah, but who in their right mind would shoot/wake up anything that was nanoboosted, unless you were 100% certain you could kill them?

I mean, a sleeping Winston is one thing. A giant red glowing sleeping Winston is another...

New patch:

In Season 2 of Competitive Play, we're making some key adjustments to our Skill Rating system. If you've read through the PTR patch notes, you already know that the system’s scale has been expanded from 1-100 to 1-5000, and we've created seven discrete skill tiers (Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master, and Grandmaster). Together, these changes should make it easier for players to identify and compare skill levels in Overwatch.

Along with these changes, we've also been making adjustments to the formulas that are used to calculate Skill Rating, ensure fair matches, and accurately place players in the appropriate tier. Today, we're implementing one such change, which should result in fewer players being placed into tiers that are above their actual Skill Rating after completing their placement matches.

After this change is made on the PTR sometime today, the amount of Skill Rating that is gained or lost will probably look a little abnormal for quite a few matches. Don’t worry. This is just a side effect of the adjustments, and it will even out after your Skill Rating adjusts to the new system. This abnormal rating will only occur on PTR, and it will not be an issue when Season 2 is launched on the live servers.

We appreciate the continued testing of Competitive Play on PTR by the community—it’s been a tremendous help for us as we work together to improve Overwatch. Thank you!

Do you guys use voice chat when playing together?

I don't have a mic and I muted the others players so I don't get distracted with random voices. I'm also not really fluent in english so...

PS4 btw.

Raxanas

Neo Member
Wtf is going on EU late at night.6 dvas enemy team,our team all bastions,people just walking through the map....Is there a full moon or sth lol.Every night the same shit happens
I just wanna play a good game and have fun

Jellie

Tried to up the sensitivity today in our gaf games... McCree accuracy dropped by almost half (from ~45 to ~25) and I couldn't hit long range headshots anymore. I have no idea how you fast sens people do it on consoles. Like how can you hit anything with a hit scan hero from long range? All you need is the tiniest of wrist/finger movement and you are way off enemy's head.

I had been playing with a higher sensitivity on tracer for a while which led to some poor games. I reduced it by 10 yesterday and have done much better. It's better to find a sensitivity you're comfortable at and then to increase it slowly.

efw2aC4.png
EDIT: I think that stats like accuracy and critical hits on overbuff display your average lifetime not session. Same as zaryas energy level.

cyborg009

Banned
Yeah, but who in their right mind would shoot/wake up anything that was nanoboosted, unless you were 100% certain you could kill them?

I mean, a sleeping Winston is one thing. A giant red glowing sleeping Winston is another...

Oh crap misread I thought it was just a regular primal rage Winston. The only reason I can think of is they were already shooting at him. Anything else is pretty damn stupid.

darklin0

Banned
I have lost every game I have been queued up with a guy who goes Reinhardt and just dies on his own over and over. I could of been on some great winning streaks otherwise. ]:

No one values Quickplay beyond anything but casual fun. It'd be dumb to remove it there too.

Ehh

Yes and no.

In the off season it's nice to try out some different heroes to maybe add to your mix. But that's hard to do when the enemy team is running 3 Genjis and 2 DVas.

cyborg009

Banned
I have lost every game I have been queued up with a guy who goes Reinhardt and just dies on his own over and over. I could of been on some great winning streaks otherwise. ]:

He blindly charges into a area with enemy huh? I know people like that. That's the kind of Reinhardt that doesn't stay on the payload.

darklin0

Banned
He blindly charges into a area with enemy huh? I know people like that. That's the kind of Reinhardt that doesn't stay on the payload.

I wish. He stands in one spot, we get flanked and he runs towards their spawn. In a way it is worse because he lures you into a false sense of security and then when your dead you see his silhouette flapping about no where near the team.

komaruR

Patch
Today, we're implementing one such change, which should result in fewer players being placed into tiers that are above their actual Skill Rating after completing their placement matches.

So it means people were placed higher?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is 6 days really enough to test how this ranking system will work?

Season 2 starting to feel rushed. I pity people who haven't gotten into ptr to experience the changes.

I saw some really weird shit in QP today

there was a team on attack which was normal and then halfway through the match they all switched to hanzo + genji, and then the symmetra and mei on our team went on sabotage mode and started fucking everything up. we lost, but it was very strange.

after that there was a game on hanamura where we were attacking point a, managed to do it incredibly easily, and then half the team just started doing weird shit outside the door to point b. emoting, saying hello, flying and jumping around but not attacking... there were 2 dvas and they would both just do their ults and then stay in mechless dva mode and go right onto the point and emote. we lost again.

so weird, omg

Soooo does this mean they're toning down/eliminating individual skill rankings or what?

Because that shit is gonna destroy the season if they let it.
No, I think it's just curbing the significance of the first 10 games so players can't luck (or unluck) their way into a bracket they won't truly deserve over the course of a season.

They're acknowledging that 10 games isn't a big enough sample size to allow people to be locked into Platinum/Diamond tier on the back of one hot streak.

darklin0

Banned
I am on a losing streak. :D

Went from a nice ~3200 to 2400. Love the 30 points per win and 100 on a loss.

It is time for a break, my poor hear can't take more of this. D:

Skii

I FINALLY FUCKING DID IT. I WENT PRO GENJI.

I was defending on King's Row and all our team was dead with me being the only one returning. I see Dva and a Lucio and I decide I might as well pop my ult just to possibly save the point. I destroy the Dva's mech and I think another returning player got the Lucio, I look behind me and there's 2 Soldiers and a Mercy bunched together at the choke point. I dash to them immediately and get the 3 kills before dashing back to the Dva who fortunately hadn't been killed by anyone and I finally get the 4 kills with dragon blade. I can play a new hero now woohoo!

I had been playing with a higher sensitivity on tracer for a while which led to some poor games. I reduced it by 10 yesterday and have done much better. It's better to find a sensitivity you're comfortable at and then to increase it slowly.

EDIT: I think that stats like accuracy and critical hits on overbuff display your average lifetime not session. Same as zaryas energy level.

What sensitivity are you playing with Tracer? I've dropped mine pretty low because she's so quick that I tend to lose orientation.

Jellie

I FINALLY FUCKING DID IT. I WENT PRO GENJI.

I was defending on King's Row and all our team was dead with me being the only one returning. I see Dva and a Lucio and I decide I might as well pop my ult just to possibly save the point. I destroy the Dva's mech and I think another returning player got the Lucio, I look behind me and there's 2 Soldiers and a Mercy bunched together at the choke point. I dash to them immediately and get the 3 kills before dashing back to the Dva who fortunately hadn't been killed by anyone and I finally get the 4 kills with dragon blade. I can play a new hero now woohoo!

What sensitivity are you playing with Tracer? I've dropped mine pretty low because she's so quick that I tend to lose orientation.
Congrats!
Who will you be using now?
Changed from 70 to 60 sensitivity. Only on tracer though.

No, I think it's just curbing the significance of the first 10 games so players can't luck (or unluck) their way into a bracket they won't truly deserve over the course of a season.

They're acknowledging that 10 games isn't a big enough sample size to allow people to be locked into Platinum/Diamond tier on the back of one hot streak.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, I think the problem wasn't limited to Support heroes placing too low, but DPS mains were also placing too high, exacerbating the problem.

Ahhhh man.

This isn't going to do as much damage ('cause it's a lot harder to troll your team in OW) but I'm reminded of Halo Reach. They tried to do an individual skill rankings mode, and it was a DISASTER. People letting their teammates die so they could clean up a kill, blocking and disrupting shots so they could get it, hogging power weapons... I could see people deliberately playing selfishly so they can get them rank points.

Skii

Congrats!
Who will you be using now?
Changed from 70 to 60 sensitivity. Only on tracer though.

Thanks! I'm thinking of going with Tracer next lol. I just really enjoy playing offensive characters because I basically lack patience. I need to get in there and fuck shit up.

My sensitivity for Tracer is like 30/20 I think? lmao. I guess I'll slowly increase it.

I hate mei. How do I kill her?

Reaper/Zarya

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
People keep saying that zarya is a counter to mei but I don't see it. Sure bubble will unfreeze you but most of the time I'm shooting icicles in your head.

AdamMPSP

I saw some really weird shit in QP today

there was a team on attack which was normal and then halfway through the match they all switched to hanzo + genji, and then the symmetra and mei on our team went on sabotage mode and started fucking everything up. we lost, but it was very strange.

after that there was a game on hanamura where we were attacking point a, managed to do it incredibly easily, and then half the team just started doing weird shit outside the door to point b. emoting, saying hello, flying and jumping around but not attacking... there were 2 dvas and they would both just do their ults and then stay in mechless dva mode and go right onto the point and emote. we lost again.

so weird, omg

So I play on PC, and I see this sort of wacky behavior late night, and I have to say that as a non-competitive player, I love it. I got into a match with a group of people who all wanted to "pick grandma" and then they just kept yelling to "meme harder" into the chat as we lost real bad. Again, I wouldn't want every match to be like that, but late at night, it's a lot more fun than try-hard teams.

Ahhhh man.

This isn't going to do as much damage ('cause it's a lot harder to troll your team in OW) but I'm reminded of Halo Reach. They tried to do an individual skill rankings mode, and it was a DISASTER. People letting their teammates die so they could clean up a kill, blocking and disrupting shots so they could get it, hogging power weapons... I could see people deliberately playing selfishly so they can get them rank points.
None of that should be a problem. The only worry in OW is that playing some heroes (notably support heroes) is a sort of handicap, and they claim to have addressed that.

Basically what the placement matches are trying to do is establish an Elo ranking for every player. With only 10 games of data to reply on, the "swings" in ranking can be quite aggressive, especially if someone is "getting lucky" and winning more than they would over the course of, say, 50 or 100 or 1,000 games. This can mean that a player who would, over the course of those 1,000 games, end up at SR2500 is instead "placed" at SR3500 after 10 lucky games. Or vice-versa.

Blizzard made some tweaks behind the scenes to make this less likely to happen -- most likely by weighting the significance of those first 10 games and keeping the Elo in a tighter band. So you won't be unduly rewarded--or punished--for your performance in those placement matches.

Jellie

Thanks! I'm thinking of going with Tracer next lol. I just really enjoy playing offensive characters because I basically lack patience. I need to get in there and fuck shit up.

My sensitivity for Tracer is like 30/20 I think? lmao. I guess I'll slowly increase it.

Reaper/Zarya
I just went straight up to 90 initially with her from default which went ok cos I just always went behind them and 180d. Just kept lowering it cos was too much and now doing quite well.

So I play on PC, and I see this sort of wacky behavior late night, and I have to say that as a non-competitive player, I love it. I got into a match with a group of people who all wanted to "pick grandma" and then they just kept yelling to "meme harder" into the chat as we lost real bad. Again, I wouldn't want every match to be like that, but late at night, it's a lot more fun than try-hard teams.
it's funny in moderation and I tend not to get annoyed by it tbh. it's just so weird. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom