• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I face the air and kick the ceiling/towards the sky as Zenyatta at the spawn point, what does the other players see? Zenyatta lying down and kicking the sky, or does it not affect his model that drastically in 3rd person?

Winston is the secondary tank you want if you are holding the point. Winston is the secondary tank you really don't want if you're trying to take the point.

This also applies to KotH, where he is super useful if your team takes the point early and you can mostly hold it. If the other team takes the point early and you're trying to regain it, he is much less useful.

tl;dr: Winston is the Bastion of tanks.

I think he's still great for taking points, particularly in KoTH but the team has to be aggressive with him. Move into the bubble. Clean up kills. He's great for edging out the dancing Lucio.

Otherwise, if the team doesn't push, it's a rinse/repeat of him trying to put the bubble in the chokepoint and then getting Reapered and burnt down.

I played a game which was all Winstons versus all Torbjons.

It was like the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan...but with gorillas.

Alternatively, it was like http://cincinnatizoo.org/

RemiLP

Winston is the secondary tank you want if you are holding the point. Winston is the secondary tank you really don't want if you're trying to take the point.

This also applies to KotH, where he is super useful if your team takes the point early and you can mostly hold it. If the other team takes the point early and you're trying to regain it, he is much less useful.

tl;dr: Winston is the Bastion of tanks.

Intresting. I thought it was the other way around. Good for jumping in and causing chaos at an established defence.

What is the correct way to play him while defending points?

duckroll

The thing with Winston is that his greatest advantage is disruption. You can use the bubble to make attackers pause for a moment at a choke for your team to reorganize the defense, you can use his ult to throw people off the point and just scatter groups. For KotH, this is very useful when you are -holding- the point and just want to get people away from taking it. Each second you continue to do this, is another second where you are closer to winning.

But if the enemy team is holding the point, this can be much less helpful because unless your team is able to -take- the point back, each second of time delay is still a second closer to your loss. Winston can still be helpful on attack, but he can't singlehandedly stall for victory like he can on defense, you need a team that can support what he's doing. It's also getting really hard these days to capture a point with Winston when they have Reapers and Zenyattas around. Once you get hit by a discord, you're gone, and it's easier for that to happen in an attacking positing than from a defensive one.

1) Winston's primary weapon spreads to multiple targets with no damage reduction. So you're getting a multiplier on your damage if you're in amongst a group of enemies, which means the enemy is grouped up.

2) Winston's shield creates a one-way barrier for damage, allowing your team a chance to lay in free damage. So you're getting a virtual multiplier on your barrier effectiveness if your team is grouped up. And since the shield isn't terribly large, you get another virtual multiplier if the enemy team is grouped up.

Conclusion: Winston's effectiveness is maximized when a coordinated team plays against a coordinated team, especially in tight quarters. Hence he sees high amounts of play on the pro circuit, especially in King of the Hill, and his effectiveness drops off significantly when you get to QP and lower level competitive play.

Greddleok

Who do you think the best tank for an assault is?

I'm also curious as to why Torbjorn is considered defence, but Symmetra is considered support. They're similar in so many ways.

duckroll

Who do you think the best tank for an assault is?

I'm also curious as to why Torbjorn is considered defence, but Symmetra is considered support. They're similar in so many ways.

I think it depends on what sort of "best" you are asking here. If your team doesn't suck, I think Dva and Zarya are the best tank class characters for Assault, because of their ability to build up their ults while the match is in a defensive holding pattern early on, and using them to cause mass disruption on a team after that when the action gets heated.

As for the Torb/Sym argument, I think it really boils down to the ult. Sym's ult is passive and purely tactical, which lines up with other Support ults, while Torb's ult is attack based for defensive purposes.

Greddleok

I think it depends on what sort of "best" you are asking here. If your team doesn't suck, I think Dva and Zarya are the best tank class characters for Assault, because of their ability to build up their ults while the match is in a defensive holding pattern early on, and using them to cause mass disruption on a team after that when the action gets heated.

As for the Torb/Sym argument, I think it really boils down to the ult. Sym's ult is passive and purely tactical, which lines up with other Support ults, while Torb's ult is attack based for defensive purposes.

Ok, I tend to pick D.Va for assaults for many reasons, but her ult is great at clearing people off the point, even if it doesn't kill everyone. Must work on my Zarya game, especially as she's the character I wanted to main when I bought the game!

I think that's a fair point about the ultimates. I've never really seen an amazing use of Sym's ult...yet. But I'm still only level 27 and only do QP so what do I know?

def one of the most annoying cuz it's fast and hard to avoid.

Yeah. And then you're incapacitated but get to watch as he swings that giant axe/hammer at you and your friends.

----------------

Okay, let's talk ults. What are your favorites / least favorites? It doesn't have to be the best or worst, just what gets you excited to be able to finally use once you've built it up.

For me...

Favorite: Winston. Health pool skyrockets and I get to leap around while swinging my arms like a mad man. Getting someone stuck in a corner and air juggling them feels better than knocking them off of cliffs. One of the best feelings in the game.

Least favorite: Mercy. I feel like I shouldn't be pocketing it all the time but I also feel like using it for 1 person who overextended is a waste. I just can't get the timing and situation down.

duckroll

def one of the most annoying cuz it's fast and hard to avoid.

Unless you SUCK like me and keep missing everyone with it. These days whenever I play Reinhardt, I feel my team carrying me. They tell me that my shield helps hold the enemy back and helps the team push through to the point, but I think they're just making me feel better.

T_T

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Favourite ult for me is still DVa's.

There's something hilarious about launching your meka over walls and seeing the killfeed light up.

Anne

So a couple things

Right now, Overwatch apparently is having issues with pixel skipping while aiming. The idea is that if your sens is above a certain point, your cursor will "skip" pixels while looking around. On a 1080p monitor, you need to have a sens at 4 or lower to avoid this. If you can adjust the DPI on your mouse, raise your DPI a bit and lower that sens until it's under 4. There's a calculator to help you figure it out. https://pyrolistical.github.io/overwatch-dpi-tool/

It's not the end of the world, but it does cause some small consistency issues with aiming. This is for PC, Idk anything about how the engine handles aiming on consoles other than that it is apparently shi.

Second off, the new SR adjustments on PTR are pretty harsh. Expect to end up a whole tier lower than you are now starting out unless you're pretty good. I like this change since I thought it was too easy to get a high rank and that would just make the middle areas dense like the old system. If you log on now and 50-50 on your W/L you'll probably lose a few hundred SR. That's fine; PTR had you too high to begin with. When S2 goes live expect placements to be more accurate with this newer, less dense system.

Blues1990

Yeah. And then you're incapacitated but get to watch as he swings that giant axe/hammer at you and your friends.

----------------

Okay, let's talk ults. What are your favorites / least favorites? It doesn't have to be the best or worst, just what gets you excited to be able to finally use once you've built it up.

For me...

Favorite: Winston. Health pool skyrockets and I get to leap around while swinging my arms like a mad man. Getting someone stuck in a corner and air juggling them feels better than knocking them off of cliffs. One of the best feelings in the game.

Least favorite: Mercy. I feel like I shouldn't be pocketing it all the time but I also feel like using it for 1 person who overextended is a waste. I just can't get the timing and situation down.

I do enjoy popping up a teleporter as Symmetra, as it feels great to bring back your team to knock the enemy off the point. (Especially when you bring up a Teleporter and have Reinhardt charge out of it.) Lucio's is also great when you want to stop Pharah raining Pharaoh Rockets, 'cause who'd be there to drop the beat when it happens?

I certainly don't like Widow Maker's Ult, as it's borderline useless. Like, what is Infra-Sight good for?

Beckx

Second off, the new SR adjustments on PTR are pretty harsh. Expect to end up a whole tier lower than you are now starting out unless you're pretty good.

RIP any illusions i'm not the absolute worst. ;_;

Unless you SUCK like me and keep missing everyone with it. These days whenever I play Reinhardt, I feel my team carrying me. They tell me that my shield helps hold the enemy back and helps the team push through to the point, but I think they're just making me feel better.

T_T

i hear that. i am getting better about earthshatter and getting some hammer kills in general, but still not great. right now as long as i can keep shield time up and help push forward i feel like i'm doing better than most reins at my level though. mainly because most reins at my level will turn a corner and immediately charge at the control point far away.

I hate that feeling of "I know I'm a better player than this but I still keep losing" because of your rank and the silly teammates you get matched up with. Like there's a lot of times I'm willing to admit I'm not doing good, but I know for sure that this definitely isn't me that's messing up.

BigDug13

The advantage of Lucio and Zen is that their healing is autonomous to their damage output. Ana can heal more but won't be dealing damage while doing so. Mercy can heal more but won't be damage boosting or damaging while doing so. The Zen advantage is debuff AND healing AND dps all at once which no other support can do.

LiK

T_T

hah, i still have trouble using his Ult effectively as well. seems the best Reins always sneak up behind a team before they use it. i'm pretty good at blocking and using his Fire Strike now.

Antiwhippy

I do enjoy popping up a teleporter as Symmetra, as it feels great to bring back your team to knock the enemy off the point. (Especially when you bring up a Teleporter and have Reinhardt charge out of it.) Lucio's is also great when you want to stop Pharah raining Pharaoh Rockets, 'cause who'd be there to drop the beat when it happens?

I certainly don't like Widow Maker's Ult, as it's borderline useless. Like, what is Infra-Sight good for?

How are wallhacks useless?

duckroll

Widowmaker's Ult can be the most useful thing in a tight game with lots of communication going on. Knowing where the enemy is as they approach or as you approach, and knowing exactly how to counter what they're planning before it happens changes the encounter completely.

On solo queue QP with pubs? Yeah it's pretty useless. :p

LiK

i find Hanzo's wallhack arrows a bit more useful than waiting for Widow Ult. it doesn't have the all encompassing range but the arrow's shorter cooldown is better for checking corners/walls, imo.

Perhaps already posted but :

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748795915#post-13

They MIGHT add some 1 hero limit mode outside of Ranked.

God I hope this happens, if only so I don't have to deal with dipshits in quick play who refuse to change hero to deal with stacking comps. Had a team with 2 bastions, torb, symmetra and no one else will switch to genji to hep me deal with the other bastion. No one switches to dva or Winston to deal with the other turrets. Nope just keep dying as soldier guys.

The advantage of Lucio and Zen is that their healing is autonomous to their damage output. Ana can heal more but won't be dealing damage while doing so. Mercy can heal more but won't be damage boosting or damaging while doing so. The Zen advantage is debuff AND healing AND dps all at once which no other support can do.

Pretty much this right here.

In a world where people like to min/max as much as possible, or reach the extremes of efficiency, if you tell them they can do three things at once decently, compared to just 1 thing, people are almost always going to pick the three things.

Greddleok

I thought soldier 76 was pretty good at dealing with turrets. He can burst down a bastion before he knows what's happening and can outrange Torb's turrets.

Antiwhippy

i find Hanzo's wallhack arrows a bit more useful than waiting for Widow Ult. it doesn't have the all encompassing range but the arrow's shorter cooldown is better for checking corners/walls, imo.

Back in the widow meta she basically had wallhacks up all the time.

LiK

I thought soldier 76 was pretty good at dealing with turrets. He can burst down a bastion before he knows what's happening and can outrange Torb's turrets.

Soldiers and Genjis are great Bastion/turret killers. Dumb Bastion players will just keep shooting a Genji even when they deflect.

duckroll

But it also means you have to play with a Hanzo...

Azoor

Speaking of Widowmaker, I wish we actually could dangle with the hook like she did in the "Alive" short and in some of the artwork.

This Genji Ult nerf can't come fast enough.

I hate that no matter what character I'm playing when I hear a Genji pop an Ult I immediately have to reevaluate everything going on.

I know he's being nerfed, but I just hate how much power and mobility he has all at the same time. Like, Reaper has power, but very little mobility. Pharah has power, but very little mobility. So why does Genji seem to have a Ult with power that rivals or even surpasses Reaper and Pharah, but has the mobility and thus survivability to go with it?

I hate that no matter what character I'm playing when I hear a Genji pop an Ult I immediately have to reevaluate everything going on.

I know he's being nerfed, but I just hate how much power and mobility he has all at the same time. Like, Reaper has power, but very little mobility. Pharah has power, but very little mobility. So why does Genji seem to have a Ult with power that rivals or even surpasses Reaper and Pharah, but has the mobility and thus survivability to go with it?
Because he's harder to learn and do good with?

Greddleok

Isn't that the same with a lot of ultimates though?

If I hear "It's High Noon" I have immediately stop what I'm doing and run for cover. If I hear NERF THIS, the same. That's the whole point of ultimates - they're threatening and make you reassess the situation to deal with an incredibly powerful ability.

Because he's harder to learn and do good with?

So? A character should be more powerful if they're harder to use? What kind of balancing is that?

Isn't that the same with a lot of ultimates though?

If I hear "It's High Noon" I have immediately stop what I'm doing and run for cover. If I hear NERF THIS, the same. That's the whole point of ultimates - they're threatening and make you reassess the situation to deal with an incredibly powerful ability.

Sure, but it doesn't work the same.

McCree says High Noon, you look, recognize where McCree is, make 1 adjustment (Hide behind a wall) and it's over.

DVa says Nerf this, you look, recognize where the Meka is, make 1 adjustment (Hide behind a wall) and it's over.

Genji screams, you look, wait to see his first lunge. Chances are if his first lunge is at you, you just died (he's going to go for squishy targets first). If not, then you start looking for the newly made skulls for teammate icons. Now you have to do it all over again until he basically runs out of energy, or someone gets a lucky kill on him.

Maddocks

Guess I'm one of the few that when I hear a genji pop his ult I'm actively looking for it so I can put some damage on him or make him stop swinging and start deflecting.

BigDug13

Genji ult is yet another reason why Zenyatta is a must pick. His Ult basically negates the entirety of Genji ult.

There is also the fact that Genji doesn't do anywhere near as much DPS as Reaper or Pharah. He probably does the least damage out of the offensive characters because his shurikens are hard as shit to land.

I don't see how having more mobility than two characters is a bad thing. It's like saying Dva is the best tank because of her boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom