• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

Does Overwatch feel more boring than it should after the Summer Games ended? I'm not sure exactly what it is, but the feeling is weird. The games are still fun, but there's this psychological feel that we're in a down period down whenever the client launches. Maybe it's because the end of the Summer Games coincided with the end of the Competitive Season, and also the reveal of the new map and emotes, which still aren't live? The waiting feeling makes the live servers feel weird!

I agree. I've been playing a lot less the past week and have much less desire to do so. I'll be more motivated once the new patch goes live and the new map is available. Also, Season 2, pls, k , thx.

Reinhardt and Zarya are the only two real tank-tanks in the game. That you cannot play one well and find the other boring probably just means you shouldn't be tanking in a team. :)

Reinhardt is always a better pick for groups unsure of the level of corporation from their teammates. He is predictable. reliable, and even the worst players should understand how to take advantage of a Reinhardt.

Zarya is without any doubt the best tank to use when in a group if anyone in the group is even half-decent playing her. If a group is coordinated there's almost no reason to need a Reinhardt.

I don't think I agree with that last statement. Even Pro teams use Rein in combination with another tank sometimes. Rogue certainly put him to good use versus EnvyUs. I think a good Rein is potentially more offensive and just as disruptive as Zarya if they are good at using Firestrike, Charge and Earthshatter.

There is also the fact that Genji doesn't do anywhere near as much DPS as Reaper or Pharah. He probably does the least damage out of the offensive characters because his shurikens are hard as shit to land.

I don't see how having more mobility than two characters is a bad thing. It's like saying Dva is the best tank because of her boost.

I'm not talking about two characters. I'm talking about all other offensive heroes:

• McCree gets increased damage output but loses almost all mobility.
  • Pharah gets increased damage output but loses all mobility.
  • Reaper gets increased damage output but loses almost all mobility.
  • Tracer just throws a bomb that has zero mobility.
  • 76 gets no increased damage output and retains his normal mobility. *
  • Genji gets increased damage output and increased mobility.

Also, don't tell me he does less damage than a Reaper or a Pharah Ult. Or were you talking about regular non-ult damage?

*(You could argue this a bit, since his 100% accuracy means better DPS, but it's safe to say his damage output isn't comparable to other offensive heroes)

IKizzLE

Genji was absolute cancer in the top 500 last season. Majority of the people in the 70s used him and it was headache inducing. Cannot wait for this nerf

I'm not talking about two characters. I'm talking about all other offensive heroes:

• 76 gets no increased damage output and retains his normal mobility.

Also, don't tell me he does less damage than a Reaper or a Pharah Ult. Or were you talking about regular non-ult damage?
Yeah I thought you were talking now about Reaper and Pharahs non ult damage.

I don't see what's wrong with Genjis ult having a little more power than others when there isn't exactly a very high chance of getting a lot of kills. It is way easier to fuck up his ult than other characters ults.

Greddleok

Genji screams, you look, wait to see his first lunge. Chances are if his first lunge is at you, you just died (he's going to go for squishy targets first). If not, then you start looking for the newly made skulls for teammate icons. Now you have to do it all over again until he basically runs out of energy, or someone gets a lucky kill on him.

Firstly, I'm not saying he doesn't need a nerf, but I think you're overreacting.

If I hear his ult, he's not usually running around and jumping like a maniac as he's trying to secure kills and is therefore an easier targetl. I try to locate and put as much damage on him as possible. Sure it doesn't always work, but finding cover from McCree's ult doesn't always work either.

Yeah I thought you were talking now about Reaper and Pharahs non ult damage.

I don't see what's wrong with Genjis ult having a little more power than others when there isn't exactly a very high chance of getting a lot of kills. It is way easier to fuck up his ult than other characters ults.

You're going to have to show me some evidence here? Because McCree, Pharah, Reaper, and 76 require very context specific situations before they can really utilize their Ults. Tracer's is obviously whenever she wants to use it. Genji seems to be able to pop his Ult from various areas of the battlefield. Which brings me back to my whole "You have to look to figure out where he's at."

Like, if I hear Reaper Ult, I can guess pretty well where to look for him, and maybe stop him. Same with Pharah, and to a lesser extent McCree. Genji is a total toss-up of where he could be coming from, and that's a very powerful component to his Ult.

Edit: Going to go ahead and clarify I'm playing on PSN where we have a terrible auto-aim bug that makes targeting Genji really fucking hard. I really hope that gets fixed soon because I'm sure it's a contributing factor to this whole thing.

Speaking of genji it was funny seeing shadders stream.
He was like
"Do you guys wanna see something when i press Q"

Presses Q.

He isnt even in the LoS of the enemies but the other team pop a Zen and Lucio ult.

He does it again bit later and a Zen ults. Its kind of hilarious how instinctive it is for some players.

You're going to have to show me some evidence here? Because McCree, Pharah, Reaper, and 76 require very context specific situations before they can really utilize their Ults. Tracer's is obviously whenever she wants to use it. Genji seems to be able to pop his Ult from various areas of the battlefield. Which brings me back to my whole "You have to look to figure out where he's at."

Like, if I hear Reaper Ult, I can guess pretty well where to look for him, and maybe stop him. Same with Pharah, and to a lesser extent McCree. Genji is a total toss-up of where he could be coming from, and that's a very powerful component to his Ult.

Edit: Going to go ahead and clarify I'm playing on PSN where we have a terrible auto-aim bug that makes targeting Genji really fucking hard. I really hope that gets fixed soon because I'm sure it's a contributing factor to this whole thing.
And Genji doesn't require very specific situations either?

He has to work on taking out the Zen first, otherwise his ult is worthless because of Transendence, he has to get to the high ground, and odds are, he's been spotted while doing that.

As someone who plays Genji(I think he's my 2nd or 3rd most played), his ult is a lot fucking harder than you think. It's not an instant win and it requires a lot of being on the move. If you don't get a kill right away, you're pretty much fucked cause you don't have a dash and you will be killed instantly.

BigDug13

• 76 gets no increased damage output and retains his normal mobility. *

*(You could argue this a bit, since his 100% accuracy means better DPS, but it's safe to say his damage output isn't comparable to other offensive heroes)

Genji doesn't gain increased mobility does he? I thought it was a byproduct of his dash resetting upon kill and his ult allowing him to kill resetting his dash constantly. It was a factor of his basic design and wasn't like he got some speed boost from his ult.

I always thought him being the only character that can completely reset one of his timed abilities with a kill was a bit much. I'm surprised that wasn't what was hit with the nerf bat instead of stuff like his triple jump.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I did it last night and immediately went 29-4 on KOTH with Soldier 76. I never play 76. Ever. Confirmation bias at its finest, but whatever. :)

I mean I'm doing ok, it's still just feels weird to me.

Also if it's your first time on low sens than yeah, it really helps with the tracking soldier needs.

Genji doesn't gain increased mobility does he? I thought it was a byproduct of his dash resetting upon kill and his ult allowing him to kill resetting his dash constantly. It was a factor of his basic design and wasn't like he got some speed boost from his ult.

Having his Dash reset is a form of increased mobility.

And Genji doesn't require very specific situations either?

He has to work on taking out the Zen first, otherwise his ult is worthless because of Transendence, he has to get to the high ground, and odds are, he's been spotted while doing that.

As someone who plays Genji(I think he's my 2nd or 3rd most played), his ult is a lot fucking harder than you think. It's not an instant win and it requires a lot of being on the move. If you don't get a kill right away, you're pretty much fucked cause you don't have a dash and you will be killed instantly.

I'm sure he requires specific situations, but I feel like he has much more lee-way than McCree, Pharah, or Reaper as far as placement goes.

I mean, really, all I'm saying is that comparatively, Genji's Ult outclasses every other offensive hero's Ult.

Anne

Yeah, I'm on 1600 DPI @ 2.5 sens now. It's better for tracking and some micro stuff but I wasn't too far over 4 before. Can't really say it's gonna help me too much, but anything to eliminate inconsistencies I'll take.

Still terrified to go above 800 DPI from past mice, but I guess I don't have to worry about that as much now.

Having his Dash reset is a form of increased mobility.

I'm sure he requires specific situations, but I feel like he has much more lee-way than McCree, Pharah, or Reaper as far as placement goes.

I mean, really, all I'm saying is that comparatively, Genji's Ult outclasses every other offensive hero's Ult.
He really doesn't have more leeway. Tracer and McCree can go through a Zen ult. Reaper and Pharah will probably kill the Zen before he can react. Soldier is screwed.

But Genji has to take his sword out, dash in, and start slashing. At that point, they've already spotted you and are countering you with a support ult. The other offensive ults(minus soldier) are instant and are hard to react fast enough to.

The six-second Genji ult is still hugely powerful, for what it's worth, but you don't really see teamwipes in quite the same way. It also cuts out the silliness of Zen's reactive ult burning out before Genji does.

Also, the amount of damage he puts out is actually not that great when compared to High Noon or Barrage or Death Blossom; what's good about Dragonblade is how well he can direct and focus it against key targets. And that requires more than a modicum of skill, however much people mock "pro Genjis."

I think people have also missed that much of Genji's current power is meta-dependent:

1. If I'm Genji and I have my ult ready, I first have to know the area is clear of turrets, which will ruin my day. In the current meta, this is almost never a problem, because Torb and Sym are not viable at higher levels.

2. The ubiquity of Zencio also helps Genji. Not only are both these heroes vulnerable to Dragonblade when their ults are burned, they also maximize Genji's ult power because of Orb of Harmony, speed boost, and potentially even a supporting Sound Barrier. And if one team has both supports down in the current meta, that's game over.

3. 2/2/2 plays into Genji's hands. When there were more tanks in the meta, there were fewer targets that were vulnerable to a few 120HP slashes with swift strikes mixed in. And Roadhog, who is less played than Rein/Zarya currently, remains one of the greatest threats to ulting Genji. Fewer tanks has also meant less Reaper, and Reaper is less vulnerable to Genji's ult than other DPS: he has an extra 50HP, can vape out of the situation and waste Genji's time, and his shotguns are actually a one-hit-kill threat.

4. Other features of the meta (principally Zenyatta) have done away with Pharah, who is another good counter to all but the best ulting Genjis, because she can bail out and shell/juggle him from the sky. Zen has also suppressed Winston, who can eat a few slashes while burning Genji's health without aiming.

He really doesn't have more leeway. Tracer and McCree can go through a Zen ult. Reaper and Pharah will probably kill the Zen before he can react. Soldier is screwed.

But Genji has to take his sword out, dash in, and start slashing. At that point, they've already spotted you and are countering you with a support ult. The other offensive ults(minus soldier) are instant and are hard to react fast enough to.

Why are you trying to focus the situation down to All offensive heroes vs a Zen Ult?

I'm talking about generally all Offensive heroes, vs everything.

I agree. I've been playing a lot less the past week and have much less desire to do so. I'll be more motivated once the new patch goes live and the new map is available. Also, Season 2, pls, k , thx.

The silence on when the new map will hit full rotation is probably the most disheartening thing for me, but I'm still psyched to play. This is the first real "constant update" game that I've gotten into, so going weeks without information on when stuff will hit is making my brain itch.

That being said, I really wish Blizzad would do something more interesting with the weekly brawls outside of themed matches. Lucioball was a great brawl because it was super different. Having weeks where it's all offense or all girl characters is just kinda eh. No real incentive to play them or excitement.

I think Blizzard should have probably timed the summer games event to be inbetween competitive seasons to give people variety while comp is down. Especially if they aren't going to patch in the new map/balance changes/emotes until right before season 2.

Why are you trying to focus the situation down to All offensive heroes vs a Zen Ult?

I'm talking about generally all Offensive heroes, vs everything.
Because generally, every team will have a Zen or a Lucio with a counter ult?

Seriously, even in QP, every game will have at least a Zen or a Lucio, if not both.

Genjis ult is probably the 2nd easiest offensive ult to counter(1st being soldier).

Antiwhippy

Like I think the handled the off-season really badly. Too long, the teases have such vague release dates that it just makes you anxious, and quick play is not a good substitute.

Anne

Genji has far and away the best DPS ult in the game and pushed the limit on how much kill power a DPS could have. Like, he wasn't OP to some crazy extent, and I dont think the meta mattered too much. Dude was just mad good and a potential issue.

Still think they went overboard, but I get why it happened.

Genji has far and away the best DPS ult in the game and pushed the limit on how much kill power a DPS could have. Like, he wasn't OP to some crazy extent, and I dont think the meta mattered too much. Dude was just mad good and a potential issue.

Still think they went overboard, but I get why it happened.
True, but the meta did heavily affect his power.

Discord killed his two hard counters: Winston and Pharah

Lucio isn't as powerful.

Mercy is back and will try and hide from the Genji, then revive everyone he killed.

Probably gonna see more good Anas appear that can sleep dart him and throw a grenade on him to cancel his heals.

Soldier is back, who is decent at dealing with Genji.

The new meta changes are going to really hurt Genji. This isn't even putting into account his nerfs.

Genjis ult is probably the 2nd easiest offensive ult to counter(1st being soldier).
No way... Those support ults work just as well at countering all the others. And hooking/flash banging/just plain shooting is WAY easier on a stationary Pharah or Reaper than a Dragonblading Genji. High noon is easy as hell to counter too, just put a shield up or find cover.

Honestly, I'm not arguing for more Genji nerfs but it's easily the hardest offensive ult to counter.

Antiwhippy

I mean if we're talking about meta, why are we saying that winston is dead in it when he has over 50% pickrate?

Like, why the continued misconception? Have people not watched the tournaments?

No way... Those support ults work just as well at countering all the others. And hooking/flash banging/just plain shooting is WAY easier on a stationary Pharah or Reaper than a Dragonblading Genji. High noon is easy as hell to counter too, just put a shield up or find cover.

Honestly, I'm not arguing for more Genji nerfs but it's easily the hardest offensive ult to counter.
I'm talking about in terms of support ults. You're not going to see a Roadhog or a McCree in every game like Zen or Lucio. Support ults are worthless against McCree and Tracer because they insta kill(except Lucio for Tracer, his ult counters hers). And like I said, Reaper and Pharah ult can surprise you and insta kill the supports. Genji has to whip out his ult and dash in, which is plenty of time for supports to counter.

DevilDog

True, but the meta did heavily affect his power.

Discord killed his two hard counters: Winston and Pharah

Lucio isn't as powerful.

Mercy is back and will try and hide from the Genji, then revive everyone he killed.

Probably gonna see more good Anas appear that can sleep dart him and throw a grenade on him to cancel his heals.

Soldier is back, who is decent at dealing with Genji.

The new meta changes are going to really hurt Genji. This isn't even putting into account his nerfs.
Mercy/soldier are the easiest to kill with genji.

Genji counters pharah.

Ana could really destroy him, Her sleep dart, she can grenade herself and survive a dash + 2 sword hits and damage him.

Because generally, every team will have a Zen or a Lucio with a counter ult?

Seriously, even in QP, every game will have at least a Zen or a Lucio, if not both.

I'm sorry, but I heavily disagree with this statement.

Pharah being a stationary target makes her susceptible to basically every form of primary fire and a slew of abilities.

Reaper being stationary makes him an easy target for a lot of Ult countering abilities (Flashbang, Hook, Sleep Dart, etc...)

Tracers Bomb can be walked away from, and if stuck, can be negated by abilities from Zarya, Mei, Reaper, and another Tracer. Roadhog can just flat out take the hit.

McCree being near immobile can be countered by several stunning abilities (Hook, Sleep Dart, Concussive Blast), as well as several blocking abilities (Rein's Shield, Winston's Bubble, Mei's Icewall, DVa's Matrix, etc...)

Note that a lot of these counters are full counters. As in, once countered, the ult is finished and done for.

Genji being as mobile as he is can be countered by the regular stunning abilities (Hook, Sleep Dart, Flashbang, etc...) but due to his kit, size, and speed, becomes a much harder target to counter. Him having full access to his Kit while the other comparable Offensive Ults do not makes him much more powerful.

Paltheos

I certainly don't like Widow Maker's Ult, as it's borderline useless. Like, what is Infra-Sight good for?

One of the weaker ones on the whole, yeah, but it still has its uses. As a Roadhog player, I love it, since I can hook people right as they pop around corners because most people don't exercise prudence when Widow ult is up. In general? Good for anti-flanking?

Trey

I do enjoy popping up a teleporter as Symmetra, as it feels great to bring back your team to knock the enemy off the point. (Especially when you bring up a Teleporter and have Reinhardt charge out of it.) Lucio's is also great when you want to stop Pharah raining Pharaoh Rockets, 'cause who'd be there to drop the beat when it happens?

I certainly don't like Widow Maker's Ult, as it's borderline useless. Like, what is Infra-Sight good for?

in what life time is a teamwide wallhack useless?

I mean if we're talking about meta, why are we saying that winston is dead in it when he has over 50% pickrate?

Like, why the continued misconception? Have people not watched the tournaments?
Yeah but this is tourneys.

People rarely pick Winston right now outside of that it seems like.

Antiwhippy

Also met a 4 star player who played 43 hours of bastion.

43 hours of bastion.

Yeah but this is tourneys.

People rarely pick Winston right now outside of that it seems like.

But that's the thing the meta relates to the most. Like, meta covers the top players.

Honestly on lower level the meta isn't as rigid as people think.

Genji counters pharah.

Ana could really destroy him, Her sleep dart, she can grenade herself and survive a dash + 2 sword hits and damage him.
In what world is Genji a counter to Pharah and not the other way around. She can easily do damage to him with splash and can knock him around with conc bomb to confuse him.

She can hit him much easier than he can hit her(this is talking in terms of console btw)

Strider

Join in progress is necessary for quick play but there should really be some type of limitation to it... Joining a game toward the end only to see "Defeat" is such a waste of time.

The halfway point is probably a good time to disable it I'd guess? Think payload... if there are 4 checkpoints once 2 checkpoints have been reached join in progress becomes disabled. For KotH you'd probably want to disable it shortly after the second round starts. For assault disable it once the first point has been capped...

I just know that if I do join late I would like to at least have some time to make an impact instead of losing within a minute which is what usually happens at the moment.

I'm sure it's been discussed before but yea.... I don't give a fuck about bonus exp or whatever else. I wanna have fun matches.

I feel like people harping on genji ult being a push Q to win button have not played much genji. He's fragile as fuck, multiple support ults completely nullify his, you have to actually aim, the hitbox is wonky and displays hits without actually registering damage, it requires just as much awareness if not more of what the enemy has available than a reaper or 76 ult.

The mechanical skill required to really do work with dragonblade is why it can be more devastating than other push Q and look at enemies offensive ults. If you let him run through your team blindly slashing away that's on you.

I feel like people harping on genji ult being a push Q to win button have not played much genji. He's fragile as fuck, multiple support ults completely nullify his, you have to actually aim, the hitbox is wonky and displays hits without actually registering damage, it requires just as much awareness if not more of what the enemy has available than a reaper or 76 ult.
This, so much.

It's much harder to use than most people make it out to be.

DevilDog

The genji sword has the worst hit detection in the game. I have missed 2-3 hits in a row.

In what world is Genji a counter to Pharah and not the other way around. She can easily do damage to him with splash and can knock him around with conc bomb to confuse him.

She can hit him much easier than he can hit her(this is talking in terms of console btw)

His double jump + wall climbing/dash can easily juke pharah. When genji closes the distance he can use his deflect to direct a rocket if he's good.

Lastly, his shurikens are so easy to hit on her.

What is truly a nightmare is mercy+pharah.

I don't know what is going on on console, this how things are on PC.

Plus he completely destroys her ult with his deflect, killing her in the process.

The genji sword has the worst hit detection in the game. I have missed 2-3 hits in a row.

His double jump + wall climbing/dash can easily juke pharah. When genji closes the distance he can use his deflect to direct a rocket if he's good.

Plus he completely destroys her ult with his deflect, killing her in the process.

It's hard as fuck to hit a flying pharah with shurikens, wall jump gets you near her but deflecting a rocket with travel time into a moving aerial target is also hard as fuck. Her ult will kill him around deflect unless you're at point blank range.

Yeah, as a Pharah main on consoles, Genji's are definitely a counter to me. I fear them way more than any McCree, 76, or Roadhog.

They have to land 5 shurikens, and a Dash will kill me. And because of how Genji's reflect works, I can't even hit them with splash damage because for some reason splash damage sends an entire rocket back in my direction. The only way I can usually kill a Genji is if they aren't paying attention to me, and I can land a shot in the back.

Note that while It's super rare to be hit by my own rockets, this is time spent falling back to the ground where I slowly lose my advantage of the situation.

Genji counters pharah.

Soldier can be frustrating for Genji; with biotic field, automatic fire to bait/wait out deflect, and sprint escapes/chases, it often ends up a stalemate. And helix is a pretty-good Genji killer.

Genji "counters" Pharah in general, but she can easily escape and disrupt his ult, and it's principally his teamwipe ult that's enraging people.

Also, his point re: Mercy is that if she successfully hides, she can undo his ult in a way Zencio could not. When Mercy was a fixture, this used to be very dispiriting as Genji, let me tell you.

Genji's gonna fall through the floor in season 2.

Paltheos

Also met a 4 star player who played 43 hours of bastion.

43 hours of bastion.

Eh, don't super read into that. I've played 24 hours of Bastion, but I played him almost exclusively at launch and I've touched him a handful of times at most in months. Only in the past couple weeks have my other heroes passed him but if you went just off my stats you'd think I'm a heavy Bastion player.

Still, 43 hours of him... I started getting tired of him when I stopped, and people began figuring out how to fight him. That's pretty devoted, although then I think of the guy I saw who'd put nearly 350 hours into Genji and it all seems kinda small.

DevilDog

Soldier can be frustrating for Genji; with biotic field, automatic fire to bait/wait out deflect, and sprint escapes/chases, it often ends up a stalemate. And helix is a pretty-good Genji killer.

Genji "counters" Pharah in general, but she can easily escape and disrupt his ult, and it's principally his teamwipe ult that's enraging people.

Also, his point re: Mercy is that if she successfully hides, she can undo his ult in a way Zencio could not. When Mercy was a fixture, this used to be very dispiriting as Genji, let me tell you.

Genji's gonna fall through the floor in season 2.

Sorry, I meant they are easy to kill while he has his ult.

Pharah can easily escape only if geni has burned through his dash, which good genjis don't. When its genji vs pharah or mercy, you must always have your dash ready, because they are going to leap/fly and this is the only way to chase them.

I think genji is still good, but time will tell.

It's hard as fuck to hit a flying pharah with shurikens, wall jump gets you near her but deflecting a rocket with travel time into a moving aerial target is also hard as fuck. Her ult will kill him around deflect unless you're at point blank range.

Genji's deflect hitbox

It's very easy to hit pharah unless she is on top of the skybox. Her hitbox is quite big.

Yeah, as a Pharah main on consoles, Genji's are definitely a counter to me. I fear them way more than any McCree, 76, or Roadhog.

They have to land 5 shurikens, and a Dash will kill me. And because of how Genji's reflect works, I can't even hit them with splash damage because for some reason splash damage sends an entire rocket back in my direction. The only way I can usually kill a Genji is if they aren't paying attention to me, and I can land a shot in the back.

Mcree and 76 counter pharah harder than genji on PC. So much so, she isn't being used anymore.

The thing with the Genji nerf is that it isn't going to change anything. The good Genjis are still going to a pain in the ass, just now the bad Genjis are going to be even worse.

I agree that Winston is still a top pick, it's just that he doesn't get picked often in pubs. He has the lowest pick rate in pubs out of all tanks.

I've seen the deflect box but I've also been killed by rockets while deflecting them so it can be done.
Good Pharahs aim around you. Great Pharahs keep track of Deflect. But in general, you can terrorize Pharah with a well-timed dash/right-click.

The jump reset nerf hurts Genji's verticality considerably, though, so it may be harder to hit Pharah in the air in future.

On Console, right now, Pharah's main counters are Genji, Winston, Roadhog and DVa. If any of these 4 actually focus on me, I'm in trouble.
On PC it's McCree three-shotting you, but yeah, I think of Pharah as an available target when I'm assessing my Genji pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom