• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

i got Plat tier. don't go too high, i would like to play with you later.

I'm actually 2-2 on PC right now, haven't started my PS4 placements. My S1 placements were 6-4, which put me at 54, so I'm shooting for that again. Then I hope to bring it up to Masters eventually from there. I finished last season at 65, so I think it's more than doable.

LiK

I'm actually 2-2 on PC right now, haven't started my PS4 placements. My S1 placements were 6-4, which put me at 54, so I'm shooting for that again. Then I hope to bring it up to Masters eventually from there. I finished last season at 65, so I think it's more than doable.

dammit man, play PS4! :p

caesar

Banned
What is the point of making bronze and silver tiers if no one even gets put in them?

Seriously dumb now that you cant even drop down or see individual numbers.

antitrop

What is the point of making bronze and silver tiers if no one even gets put in them?

I thought the way StarCraft II handled rankings in its ladder was pretty much perfect. Bronze was 20%, Silver was 20%, Gold was 20%, Platinum was 20%, Diamond was 18%, Master was 2%, and Grandmaster was Top 200. I don't know why they didn't just copy that straight up.

What they have now is like a weird in-between.

DevilDog

I think Eichenwalde isn't in competitive because they're changing something in it, maybe that choke point people talked about in the PTR.

Nah, it's in the competitive rotation.

I tried getting people on GAF to team up with me, but people are ignoring my group ups or asks if we could group up and such. But it's been lemons on the PC end, while everyone in PS4 land are getting group ups left n' right.

What is your ID?

Tovarisc

Yeah, I'm having a lot of the same problems as I did in Season 1: so far I'm 3-1 after going through placement, and the three wins haven't been enough yet to offset the points I lost from the one loss. As close as I was to Platinum when I started, I'm afraid it might end up forever out of reach unless I get super lucky or a lot better.

Because game uses streak system so it's easier to lose large amounts of RS than to (re)gain RS. I think 3 or 4 "stacks" of streak is max. Witch every stack you lose more per lost game and at max stack you lose that X for every lost game. Puts you easily into very deep hole as losing streaks are 10x more likely than getting even streak of 2 wins.

NimbusD

I played 20 hours solo straight, and I can't get myself out of this Gold Tier hellhole.

I actually started to cry, as every possible thing that can go wrong had.
Something I learned from being stuck in the 30s in season one is DONT PLAY 20 HOURS STRAIGHT WTF. Not knocking you cuz I did it too, but youre bound to have it be a wash or worse when you do that. Especially because you're going to be frustrated with the quality of the players at your SR. Just do a few games at a time, refresh with quick play if your really want to keep playing, fuck around w new heroes , do some silly mei stuff and just have fun without worrying about winning.

You're really going to dig yourself into a hole by trying to force your way out in a day. I know from experience.

ViviOggi

dang, how many rounds?
The full five tbf but it was still a very stressful experience

Queued up my first placement match and was just hoping it wouldn't be Eichenwalde, since I didn't play on PTR and have no experience with it.

It was Eichenwalde.

Didn't matter though, my Zenyatta was on point and the rest of the team was good, as well. We stopped them from getting A and then made a quick cap to win the match.

Same except that we got utterly dumpstered

LiK

i'm sure there are really bad players who will end up in Bronze and Silver. we're on GAF where we're at least good with games. i think the lower tiers are for the really bad/casual players. Season 1 had plenty but we never dropped low enough to see people in ranks 1-20's. apparently it's a hellhole there from the "Hanjo" story.

8th placement game. Guy instalocks Genji. He has 6 hrs on Genji, 6 on Hanzo, 0 everyone else. He never leaves spawn. We get destroyed in embarrassing fashion.

komaruR

people got to understand that even if you win, it might not gain that much SR if the opposing team or team avg is not higher than you are.
in season 1 i waited until mid season before i even did the placement. i dunno did it help or not but i only saw 1 leaver which was the opposing team where we won a defense right after 1st checkpoint.

when people leave, it usually means your team is having problem. i think when games are close match, people tend to stay and stick it out and hope for a win. it's usaully when you're losing its that theres a leaver. anyway you can switch your hero and benefit the team from losing? ie, a genji and punishing your backline, switch to winston to prevent it. enemy pharah was not contestant and wrecking havoc from above, switch to soldier? you are healer, but your team is doing poorly at getting kills, switch to dps to get the job done? (since your healing wont means much if your dps are dying so quick and cant retaliate)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lmao i just flashed 3 people with McCree then Lucio pushed them off the roof :lol

caesar

Banned
i'm sure there are really bad players who will end up in Bronze and Silver. we're on GAF where we're at least good with games. i think the lower tiers are for the really bad/casual players. Season 1 had plenty but we never dropped low enough to see people in ranks 1-20's. apparently it's a hellhole there from the "Hanjo" story.

Yeah but it doesn't make sense for the system to have 70% of players in gold and plat with basically no consequences for losing. All this will do is create worse games. Casual players already have quickplay. For the record in s1 I finished rank 60 and had a low of 46, climbed entirely solo queue. So I have seen the worst of both worlds, lowest ranked player I have seen was 29...

Defuser

Now the big problem is the 1000 limit, if you are 2500 - 3000 range the game can still grab bad players from silver to low gold range.

Sn4ke_911

hope that Lucio was wise enough to wallrun during it.

Nah it was on Lijiang Tower, i was on the stairs then suddenly 3 enemies jumped down and i flashed them, i thought i was for sure dead but suddenly a Lucio comes from those stairs too and pushes all 3 from the roof.

It was amazing. Such moments you can only have in Overwatch.

LiK

Yeah but it doesn't make sense for the system to have 70% of players in gold and plat with basically no consequences for losing. All this will do is create worse games. Casual players already have quickplay. For the record in s1 I finished rank 60 and had a low of 46, climbed entirely solo queue. So I have seen the worst of both worlds, lowest ranked player I have seen was 29...

oh, i think the consequence is playing with more bad people when you keep losing SR. the tier emblem was def made for people to keep their season high in view so they don't get shit on as much. a purely psychological thing from Kaplan's explanation. make people feel good for reaching their highest tier and showing it off.

Now the big problem is the 1000 limit, if you are 2500 - 3000 range the game can still grab bad players from silver to low gold range.

i'm already getting shitty players in my SR so it's hard for me to say. :(

hope that Lucio was wise enough to wallrun during it.
I booped two today and got a kill right after but I forgot to wall ride.

At least it was play of the match.

Rad-

So did they get rid of streak bonuses or something? Fifth solo queue win in a row and only 30 sr gained. Our teams had equal sr. Sounds a tad low.

If anyone is on PS4 I'm up for some group up. QP or comp, I don't care.

LiK

So did they get rid of streak bonuses or something? Fifth solo queue win in a row and only 30 sr gained. Our teams had equal sr. Sounds a tad low.

i had 4 wins in a row last night and i think it was also around 30 each time.

caesar

Banned
oh, i think the consequence is playing with more bad people when you keep losing SR. the tier emblem was def made for people to keep their season high in view so they don't get shit on as much. a purely psychological thing from Kaplan's explanation. make people feel good for reaching their highest tier and showing it off.
Its just weird that for a lot of players the highest tier will be after they go plat after 10 placement games?

LiK

Its just weird that for a lot of players the highest tier will be after they go plat after 10 placement games?

i dunno the stats but plenty of Gaffers here got Gold tier. it seems to take into your S1 rank into play from what Anne said. anyway, not a big deal cuz Diamond is where it's at!

In my last placement match today I had gold elimination as fucking Lucio. We were down 2-0 and my teammates weren't coordinating. We ended up switching our (bad) team comp a bit, with one of us going Ana. Turned out that switched somehow made all the difference especially when we already had Reinhardt. Ended up not even having bronze for eliminations despite getting a few kills at the end of that round and we made a big comeback. 3-2.

Was a really cool and tense way to end my placement matches.

NimbusD

Nothing like getting a gold medal for eliminations.

With a grand total of 3.

When you're the healer.

I thought most people on GAF/Reddit etc said competitive was better than quick play? This is misery.
Those are the times you gotta say fuck it, these guys aren't worth healing and just go DPS. Either that or dva or roadhog. Dva you can hover over teammates w the defense matrix to keep them alive, and can dash to take out low health enemies that your teammates are letting get away, roadhog can self heal obviously and pick off enemies as well.

Seriously sometimes in solo, being a healer just isn't the best thing to do.

caesar

Banned
i dunno the stats but plenty of Gaffers here got Gold tier. it seems to take into your S1 rank into play from what Anne said. anyway, not a big deal cuz Diamond is where it's at!

Haven't finished my placement games yet, 2-1-1 so far. Predicting a plat placement and then a long hard 2 week climb to diamond again. ;_;

duckroll

Wow that went really badly.

Win-Win-Win-Loss-Loss-Loss-Win-Loss-Loss-Win

Placed 2289 or something. Played more games, dropped to 220X I think after another string of losses. Almost all the games were full 6 stacks, so I can't blame randoms for this! We got owned by teams playing cheese defense with Bastions, we got owned by Super Mercy plays, we got owned by a fucking Hanzo controlling everything on KotH. God. I want to die. Lol.

Owzers

I really suck at Reinhardt, but I feel he's one of the highest utility heroes in the game. Any pointers?

Regenerate shield when things aren't super heated, but don't let snipers murder you

Use shield to block ults when possible, especially Mccree, Dva, Soldier, Rein, and Reaper. Drop your shield and get out of a Hanzo ult if you get caught, shield up slows you down.

Don't charge rush to your death, try to line up charges so you'll have closer stopping points. Don't charge rush Roadhog unless you can yell "help" and people finish him.

Use fire strike a lot, especially through Rein's shield, maybe take out a riptire with it if they drive in a straight line

finalflame

Regenerate shield when things aren't super heated

Use shield to block ults when possible, especially Mccree, Dva, Soldier, Rein, and Reaper. Drop your shield and get out of a Hanzo ult if you get caught, shield up slows you down.

Don't charge rush to your death, try to line up charges so you'll have closer stopping points

Use fire strike a lot, especially through Rein's shield, maybe take out a riptire with it if they drive in a straight line

Thanks. I think I'm doing all these things already, for the most part, but I feel the offensive aspect of him is where I fall short. Watching people like moonmoon play it's clear Rein can do a shitton of damage, but I have a hard time getting good offense in while simultaneously using my shield to defend the team and not dying.

I'll keep practicing ' em in QP.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I really suck at Reinhardt, but I feel he's one of the highest utility heroes in the game. Any pointers?

Your team relies on you to protect them, so don't drop the shield when you're taking sustained fire.

Fire Strike is super useful. If they are all gathered behind an enemy Reinhardt, you can get a bunch of ult charge with it. If they have a Junkrat, I like to keep it available to destroy his tire.

When it's Reinhardt versus Reinhardt, you have to outplay your opponent, or else a single Earthshatter can take out everyone behind you. Fire Strike leaves you open, so don't do that, and use your enemy's Fire Strike to Earthshatter them.

Also, charge is super useful against enemy Reins. If you're close enough, they either can't react in time and get pinned, or they have to charge at you as well, stunning you both. This can be a good opportunity for your team to take the enemy by surprise, but can also be risky if your opponents have more damage.

The most important thing is to know is when to drop everything and swing away.

antitrop

Playing Rein like MOONMOON while not actually being MOONMOON is a really good way to get killed and have your teammates bitch at you and say "WTF are you doing, just keep your shield up".

He plays some fast and loose Rein, really throws all caution to the wind and just gets the fuck in there. It's entertaining as all get out to watch, but I would never try to do what he does. :p

Placed Gold, rose to Platinum straight away, immediately sank back to Gold, now bouncing back and forth between win and loss on infinite KotHpetitive. I would love to push a payload today.

I'm carrying as hard as I can with Zarya (32.5% on fire right now), but the sad thing is I get better results in solo queue than I do playing with friends. :S

X-Frame

The only Season 3 changes I think need to happen is auto Auto-Join voice chat by default for Comp. Make it opt out. So many games today were only 2 people in Team Chat.

Owzers

The only Season 3 changes I think need to happen is auto Auto-Join voice chat by default for Comp. Make it opt out. So many games today were only 2 people in Team Chat.

I have a hard time joining Team Chat if i'm already in Group Chat. If i have Auto on both, so i'm in group first, and i want to go to team, is turning Group to off and Team to on supposed to work?

I'm amazed that people still think Genji is OP.

At this point, people would still call him OP even if they removed his double jump, wall climb, alt fire, and dash reset.

Sn4ke_911

Future Stuttgart for anyone interested.

2016-09-0321_38_28-ov47j6a.png

My game didn't display stuff correctly for a second in the hero gallery.

cyborg009

Banned
Wow that went really badly.

Win-Win-Win-Loss-Loss-Loss-Win-Loss-Loss-Win

Placed 2289 or something. Played more games, dropped to 220X I think after another string of losses. Almost all the games were full 6 stacks, so I can't blame randoms for this! We got owned by teams playing cheese defense with Bastions, we got owned by Super Mercy plays, we got owned by a fucking Hanzo controlling everything on KotH. God. I want to die. Lol.

I think I lost like 7 or 6 matches and got place around the same rank.

R0ckman

Dammit, the healing player bug didnt help was forced to tank and heal most of my matches which actually helped save the games was on scoreboard on most of my games still silver, what the hell is with this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom