• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I'm amazed that people still think Genji is OP.

At this point, people would still call him OP even if they removed his double jump, wall climb, alt fire, and dash reset.

For some people OP = any character you don't know how to play against.

Yesterday I played a game where someone said that Zarya was broken.

Skii

Wow that went really badly.

Win-Win-Win-Loss-Loss-Loss-Win-Loss-Loss-Win

Placed 2289 or something. Played more games, dropped to 220X I think after another string of losses. Almost all the games were full 6 stacks, so I can't blame randoms for this! We got owned by teams playing cheese defense with Bastions, we got owned by Super Mercy plays, we got owned by a fucking Hanzo controlling everything on KotH. God. I want to die. Lol.

Welcome to my season 1 competitive experience. All you need now is to have people leaving after the first round of a winnable game to really get the full experience.

Pilgrimzero

Before every placement match I tell my team the current meta is 2 tank, 2 healer, 2 dps.

So we get 4 dps, 1 healer, 1 tank (not Rein). So I switch to Rein despite not being great with him

duckroll

Does anyone have good advice for Mercy Hunting and Bastion Scrapping?

Had some really frustrating moments today. We were doing pretty well on Route 66 attack, and should probably have won, except after clearing the second last checkpoint, they blew all their Ults just to wipe us, which made no sense given how close our spawn is, then we realized they did it so they could put a Bastion on the payload and basically spawn camp us as we were coming out to get to the payload. Wasted 2 minutes of our time that way. Ugh.

xaosslug

Wow that went really badly.

Win-Win-Win-Loss-Loss-Loss-Win-Loss-Loss-Win

Placed 2289 or something. Played more games, dropped to 220X I think after another string of losses. Almost all the games were full 6 stacks, so I can't blame randoms for this! We got owned by teams playing cheese defense with Bastions, we got owned by Super Mercy plays, we got owned by a fucking Hanzo controlling everything on KotH. God. I want to die. Lol.

and yet, you still seem in high spirits! :D

i'm gonna try and be more like you this season and take things in stride. Sure I'll be disappointed, but I'm not gonna let losses own my soul like I have in the past, to the point where I stay away from comp for days and days, T__T LOL

Had some really frustrating moments today. We were doing pretty well on Route 66 attack, and should probably have won, except after clearing the second last checkpoint, they blew all their Ults just to wipe us, which made no sense given how close our spawn is, then we realized they did it so they could put a Bastion on the payload and basically spawn camp us as we were coming out to get to the payload. Wasted 2 minutes of our time that way. Ugh.

idk about Mercy, because i've had my share of super-frustrating games with ridiculously good Mercy's that just. would. not. die. >_<

as for Bastion use Mei's icewallwall? Block him w/ her icewall, which should shake him up enough to move and that's when you get him! Or go Hanzo and every time you have an ult nerf Bastion! Roadhog hook? Switch to Junkrat and just go ham w/ his primary?

finalflame

Your team relies on you to protect them, so don't drop the shield when you're taking sustained fire.

Fire Strike is super useful. If they are all gathered behind an enemy Reinhardt, you can get a bunch of ult charge with it. If they have a Junkrat, I like to keep it available to destroy his tire.

When it's Reinhardt versus Reinhardt, you have to outplay your opponent, or else a single Earthshatter can take out everyone behind you. Fire Strike leaves you open, so don't do that, and use your enemy's Fire Strike to Earthshatter them.

Also, charge is super useful against enemy Reins. If you're close enough, they either can't react in time and get pinned, or they have to charge at you as well, stunning you both. This can be a good opportunity for your team to take the enemy by surprise, but can also be risky if your opponents have more damage.

The most important thing is to know is when to drop everything and swing away.

Thanks! Great advice. Been practicing a bit and feel I'm getting the hang of him.

X-Frame

I have a hard time joining Team Chat if i'm already in Group Chat. If i have Auto on both, so i'm in group first, and i want to go to team, is turning Group to off and Team to on supposed to work?

Ideally if you set Group to ON and Team to Auto it should switch back and forth automatically. If you have both to Auto it probably weighs towards Group before Team.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Isn't that the city from the Bastion short?

It also looks like the city from the original trailer with the two kids.

That is correct, sir.

But hey no wonder, my GPU runs at 90 C.... yes 90 C.

I could almost cook eggs on that thing lol

duckroll

That's actually a very popular(and very stupid) opinion.

Some people just want OverCOD :/

Yeah I have some specific issues with some heroes, but I find it very hard to blame it on certain things being "OP" when I lose. Usually there's a range of reasons, most of which starts with bad decisions made by myself and/or my team. Although, after getting dominated by Hanzo for 3 straight rounds in Ilios, having to face a POTG with him in it, where he doesn't even use his ult but just kills 4 of us clearly without aiming at all.... is really... hard to swallow. Blizzard... why...

Defuser

The one thing I notice is our team doesn't use ults enough/stack them meanwhile the opposing team uses them often to get the edge over us.

Tovarisc

Yeah I have some specific issues with some heroes, but I find it very hard to blame it on certain things being "OP" when I lose. Usually there's a range of reasons, most of which starts with bad decisions made by myself and/or my team. Although, after getting dominated by Hanzo for 3 straight rounds in Ilios, having to face a POTG with him in it, where he doesn't even use his ult but just kills 4 of us clearly without aiming at all.... is really... hard to swallow. Blizzard... why...

Because apparently no one wants to play projectile heroes if hitboxes aren't super generous for them. That is why they have made them very generous so shooting at general direction of enemy results in hits.

duckroll

The one thing I notice is our team doesn't use ults enough/stack them meanwhile the opposing team uses them often to get the edge over us.

We needed better leadership. I would say "we should stack our ults", and everyone would agree, but I realized we didn't actually agree on how and when to stack the ults. >_<

Arghhghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That Anubis game was such a waste. :(

Finished placement. 4-5-1, got ranked 2341 for Gold. In my tenth game, we finished Numbani 30 seconds ahead of them, but played like dogshit in the second rounds.

I'm pretty sure the game believes I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be, given how close my match wins were to 50/50. I'm going to have to pull off a pretty good winstreak to break out of this.

Because apparently no one wants to play projectile heroes if hitboxes aren't super generous for them. That is why they have made them very generous so shooting at general direction of enemy results in hits.
You make it sound like those heroes take no skill, which is 100% not true.

AngryMoth

I feel like a very large percentage of the matches I've played in season 2 so far have been total stomps one way or the other.

Playing solo on ps4 right now by the way if there's any groups going

Tovarisc

I know they do take skill, but on top of that they get extra benefits in form of generous hitboxes. Fun to watch killcams where e.g. Hanzo clearly overshoots you, but it still counts as headshot.

Defuser

We needed better leadership. I would say "we should stack our ults", and everyone would agree, but I realized we didn't actually agree on how and when to stack the ults. >_<

Arghhghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. That Anubis game was such a waste. :(
Exactly, we could have won on anubis, we did so well on point A but choked up at the final point.

duckroll

Yeah it's absolutely not true that it doesn't require skill. But I think with Hanzo in particular, the situation Blizzard has created is one where it feels so frustrating to lose against in that matter, it's hard to accept. It makes watching replays really painful.

Sn4ke_911

Please play Hanzo yourself, you will see he really is not SPAMZO and is actually pretty hard to play.

Danj

I keep hearing this sort of thing about Hanzo but whenever I've tried to play him I've found it very difficult to hit anything. His arrows seem to get pulled down by gravity or whatever.

I'm not sure I like the new Roadhog changes. Too damn confusing. People are flying all over the place and it feels like they rarely actually end up in front of you. The hook feels more bugged now than it was before. Watching this tourney makes me feel this way even more.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I'm not sure I like the new Roadhog changes. Too damn confusing. People are flying all over the place and it feels like they rarely actually end up in front of you. The hook feels more bugged now than it was before. Watching this tourney makes me feel this way even more.

If you hook someone close to you they get further away lol.

If you hook someone close to you they get further away lol.
He's just frustrating to play now. I kind of want them to revert the change to the hook. I'm ok with people being pulled into walls if that means I don't have to keep thinking "will I actually be able to do much damage to this guy" every time I hook someone.
His arrows seem to get pulled down by gravity or whatever.
That's because he's not a hitscan hero.

3-0 in my placements on PS4 so far, playing as a group of two with my buddy. I've used Roadhog and D.Va so far and have felt really comfortable with both of them. Honestly have not really noticed the Roadhog change but maybe it's something where if it's working properly you don't really notice it?

We've been lucky enough to get put on some good teams who communicate and don't waste ults so far, hopefully that continues.

3-0 in my placements on PS4 so far, playing as a group of two with my buddy. I've used Roadhog and D.Va so far and have felt really comfortable with both of them. Honestly have not really noticed the Roadhog change but maybe it's something where if it's working properly you don't really notice it?

We've been lucky enough to get put on some good teams who communicate and don't waste ults so far, hopefully that continues.
The hook only fucks up when people are too close or moving a lot or in the air. Maybe you've been getting lucky and hooking people in the right places.

SCB3

Man I'm having a slow grind between levels, only level 14 now(Switched from Ps4 to PC, was Level 32 on PS4), it feels like the XP has been slowed a bit

Woo-Fu

Banned
4 gold medals as Zenyatta after the first round. How do I end up on teams this bad? I don't even play Zenyatta ffs.

I usually play dps but i'm tired of people always crying we need a 2nd healer but unwilling to do it themselves. Sure, we're still going to lose but at least they have to find something else to whine about.

ISOM

4 gold medals as Zenyatta after the first round. How do I end up on teams this bad?

I usually play dps but i'm tired of people always crying we need a 2nd healer but unwilling to do it themselves. Sure, we're still going to lose but at least they have to find something else to whine about.

Had the same thing happened the other day when I was playing Tracer and doing well. Had 4 gold medals but they kept complaining about me as if I was the problem. So I said, fine I'll switch to Zenyatta but you guys better stop playing like bums and prove I was the problem. Well you can guess what happened...we still got stomped.

Sn4ke_911

lol i just saw enemy harambe and we didn't hurt each other the whole match through.

Everytime we saw each other we just said hello and emoted haha

Why is it that when my team has high level players they suck but when the other team does they're always rolling
JFkTSKX.gif

Raxanas

Neo Member
This is the first time that 4 days straight i get trash teams that will only pick dps heroes...I might actually have to take a break for a week to calm my nerves

So what's a good way to fight Hanzo just spamming arrows? Seems like he always has the advantage just because he needs one shot. I usually play Tracer and McCree.

ISOM

Nah it's because aiming with a projectile hero like Hanzo can very inconsistent even among high level play. There's a reason why you rarely ever see him in tournaments.

ISOM

So what's a good way to fight Hanzo just spamming arrows? Seems like he always has the advantage just because he needs one shot. I usually play Tracer and McCree.

Not being predictable in your movements. So if you're in mid to close range move back and forth a lot while spamming him. It should be easy to do with Mccree and Tracer. Otherwise play Pharah or Winston as they counter him.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
What is this placement technique? I win 1 game and I get 950/6000. I lose one, and then win another and only gain ten points (960)?

Platinum = mid 50's hell. Christ these team comps boggle the mind.

Just 150 away from Diamond. I'd love to group up with Ramirez or something for that final push. I want diamond tier teammates.

Arrrammis

What is this placement technique? I win 1 game and I get 950/6000. I lose one, and then win another and only gain ten points (960)?

That's not placement, that's just your credits that you can use to buy gold weapon skins. The credits carried over from last season and were multiplied by 10 (since the costs was also multiplied), so that's why you started with 940. Skins cost 3000 each, you get 10 credits per win, 3 per tie, and 0 for a loss. Your rank is at the bottom of the screen.

Woo-Fu

Banned

outsnipe or outflank and if you outflank you need to be able to kill him before he turns around and 1-hits you without even having to aim because your hitbox fills his entire view. I chased enemy hanzo all over the map the last game as Reaper. If I didn't get him with first 2 shots I didn't get him because either I died to cheese arrow or he got heal/shield.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
That's not placement, that's just your credits that you can use to buy gold weapon skins. The credits carried over from last season and were multiplied by 10 (since the costs was also multiplied), so that's why you started with 940. Skins cost 3000 each, you get 10 credits per win, 3 per tie, and 0 for a loss. Your rank is at the bottom of the screen.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense now lol! Thank you so much!

Chance

Tracer or (if it's a bad Bastion) Genji for Bastion. Any DPS that's not McCree for Mercy.

Projectiles in arena shooters use a larger collision hull rather than the model to help balance them against hitscan attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wGcNzFd3as

The one in TF2 extends pretty far, way farther than the largest iterations in overwatch. Not only that but in TF2 this collision hull is universal for all classes. The scout has the same projectile hitbox as the heavy. TF2 weapons share similar damage caps (around 100 points of damage) in the sweet spot of ramp up. So to insure equivalency they have to stand on similar footing. The big collision hull might look silly but it's how they level the playing field between two different styles of attack.

Yeah it's absolutely not true that it doesn't require skill. But I think with Hanzo in particular, the situation Blizzard has created is one where it feels so frustrating to lose against in that matter, it's hard to accept. It makes watching replays really painful.

That's just a perception issue IMO because the character is oriented around burst. McCree is far more problematic a character because he touches too many strong points: brisk attack, burst damage potential, hitscan attack. People think McCree is still "balanced" because it's all front loaded in his primary weapon and his alternate skills are relatively mediocre especially the new version of his ult. But this style of hitscan attack kills the z-axis play of characters like Pharah. There's a reason why in games like TF2 they deliberately kept headshots away from standard weapons, especially hitscan primaries with very few exceptions. If you don't compartmentalize burst damage from reliability you kill the core aspect of these type of games which is movement and outplay. Hanzo even with his new primary attack is still a projectile character. You can play around what he wants to do and how he has to aim and shoot. A good McCree will simply paste you on sight. You can't dodge a hitscan attack, only make it less likely that he'll hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom