• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an API that these sites use or they just build their DB when someone searches for a BNet ID/Gamertag?
The latter, as far as I know. Overbuff has a 400K userbase, not sure about MO. Also likely an unrepresentative sample, since I suspect people who care about looking up their stats are probably better than average.

Dispatch

So, I went 8-2 in my placement matches, and only got 2405, so I'm in Gold tier.

I had one match where we won because 5 of the other players left after we captured both points on Volskaya. I let the other players get the kills and I just hung out on the objective. I wonder if that led to a lower skill rating.

Moonkeis

I had one match where we won because 5 of the other players left after we captured both points on Volskaya. I let the other players get the kills and I just hung out on the objective. I wonder if that led to a lower skill rating.

What did you end at last season?

What heroes did you play?

I ended up at rank 40, so this is better.

I played mostly D.Va, Zenyatta, or Lucio, in that order. I guess the support bias is still strong, huh?
They said they fixed it; I was just curious.

There's some theory that your final placement in S1 constrains the range you can place in in S2, but I don't know if that's true.

Plesiades

The latter, as far as I know. Overbuff has a 400K userbase, not sure about MO. Also likely an unrepresentative sample, since I suspect people who care about looking up their stats are probably better than average.

Interesting... So they just look at your PlayOverwatch profile.

I wonder if the removal of the "Games Played" entry will impact the winrate calcualtions.

Interesting... So they just look at your PlayOverwatch profile.

I wonder if the removal of the "Games Played" entry will impact the winrate calcualtions.
It has, massively. QP stats are currently pretty badly broken on both sites.

That site is bugged as well, I currently have no competitive stats listed and am in the bottom 1% in QP for every single stat for every single hero.
That's the case for my QP stats, too, but the competitive stuff is coming in perfectly. Apart from the usual oddness about how it calculates you playing a "game" with a given hero if you switched mid-game.

I think Rein's hammer/charge hitboxes are the most bullshit in the game, but no one agrees with me. I'm just tilted because Rein is the number-one nuisance when playing Zarya.

R0ckman

Why the hell was my whole team behind me with a junkrat on the map. I hate this carrying garbage if you think of me as a pillar listen to what I say in the chat!

Ramirez

Roadhog feels unplayable now, every kill cam shows nothing but head shots on me, you really knocked it out of the park with this patch Blizzard.

Roadhog feels unplayable now, every kill cam shows nothing but head shots on me, you really knocked it out of the park with this patch Blizzard.
Agreed completely.

It's amazing how in a week I went from never playing Ana to her becoming my main, it's weird. But as soon as Roadhog is fixed, he's my main again, no question about it.

Agreed completely.

It's amazing how in a week I went from never playing Ana to her becoming my main, it's weird. But as soon as Roadhog is fixed, he's my main again, no question about it.

I know the feeling. Although I've been going Ana for quite some time now, Zarya went from unplayed to one of my best tank picks in a week. Now I either go Dva or Zarya depending on the comps.

And looking at the stat tracking sites. Master Overwatch seems more accurate atm.

Jellie

Yeah, I'm 2,732 and Overbuff has me at 95%. Master Overwatch is at 73%, which makes way more sense, even though their playerbase is smaller than Overbuff's (as far as I know).

They also show the distribution for S2 rankings: http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/global

I've got the opposite where Masteroverwatch places me in a higher percentile. Overbuff says top 2% (ranked 1,572 out of 150,251) while overbuff says top 1% (ranked 694) which makes sense if masteroverwatch is lower number in their database. Not sure why you're lower on masteroverwatch if they have a smaller database.

Anyone on PS4 going to be on soon? Group of 2-3 would be good. I think the range is 500 right so would have to be ±500 of 3013.

I played a game with a rein who thought he was a genji. It was a legit terrifying experience

Ha, I think that's the current trend...

What, I thought the Reinhardt was down there.

https://a.pomf.cat/pmyfvr.webm

Oh.
Hmm, theory checks out.

In other news I can't play Rein for toffee these days, I used to be okay with him but I'm now deterred from taking on Rein duties after some bumbling matches.

xaosslug

OK, just went 4-0 in a duo group - had peeps going D.Va to 'counter' me. So far so good!

xfkMcHi.gif

I've got the opposite where Masteroverwatch places me in a higher percentile. Overbuff says top 2% (ranked 1,572 out of 150,251) while overbuff says top 1% (ranked 694) which makes sense if masteroverwatch is lower number in their database. Not sure why you're lower on masteroverwatch if they have a smaller database.

Anyone on PS4 going to be on soon? Group of 2-3 would be good. I think the range is 500 right so would have to be ±500 of 3013.
I think Overbuff is just all over the place (broken), whereas Master Overwatch is accurate, at least within their userbase. Their distribution looks like a bell curve with predictable spikes at platinum and diamond. My being in the top quarter or so of players makes reasonable sense. My being in the top five percent does not.

You being in the top one or two percent makes sense, from what I've heard. ;)

Demoskinos

I would really like to know exactly how the gears turn under the hood for competitive placement. Cause Ive seen people say they went 8-2 and were gold while I was 5-4-1 and was placed just 10 points below Platinum.

ViviOggi

I would really like to know exactly how the gears turn under the hood for competitive placement. Cause Ive seen people say they went 8-2 and were gold while I was 5-4-1 and was placed just 10 points below Platinum.
From what we know it's largely based on s1 rank

Jellie

I think Overbuff is just all over the place (broken), whereas Master Overwatch is accurate, at least within their userbase. Their distribution looks like a bell curve with predictable spikes at platinum and diamond. My being in the top quarter or so of players makes reasonable sense. My being in the top five percent does not.

You being in the top one or two percent makes sense, from what I've heard. ;)
What's overbuffs distribution curve like? I would have thought 27xx was top 5% at this point since most people were placed 2500?
Heard from who? 😂 Vaults the better tracer.
If you're in EU, I'll gladly group up!
Yeah I'm EU. Psn is undignify. Been playing tracer and zarya so far in comp. You?

Finished at 5&5 for a score of 2255 qualifying in solo queue. I screwed up one game as Zenyatta, but the other 4 losses were plagued with people who drop out and a Mei on my team greifing us with ice walls at the spawn. I was on fire most games and typically had the highest healing score at the end of the game. Oh well, I at least have room to level up.

xaosslug

i haven't placed yet (only done 4 matches, so far)... would we be able to roll together? IDK! My PSN: res1tvih

duckroll

Had a decent set of matches today. Some wins, some losses, climbed back up to 2186 or something. Decided to end the day on a good note after winning two close matches. Then Defuser dragged me back in for a few more games, and had 3 straight losses with TERRIBLE randoms who wouldn't work together. Back down to 20XX again. Fuck.

I think Rein's hammer/charge hitboxes are the most bullshit in the game, but no one agrees with me. I'm just tilted because Rein is the number-one nuisance when playing Zarya.

It seems to extend a couple meters further than it looks like it should. Either the hitbox is jacked or they could add something to the animation so where it looks like it swings is where it actually does. Like an effect, not necessarily making the weapon longer.

I don't think you're alone here.

Agreed completely.

Ana is actually really good on console. Her hitbox is nuts so you just go around no-scoping and chucking those heals. Her ult gain is pretty ludicrous.

For a while, I felt she was a better anti-Pharah than McCree here. But I've gotten better with landing his single shots lately, so I still like him to take her down.

Also, still no fucking power. 😓 Internet will probably be even later. Those both were straight up severed down the road by a tree. I'm about to start drawing maps by memory and drawing characters so I can still play.

GeeTeeCee

Just lost a placement match because the other five players decided to stop defending point A on Hollywood, and instead set up to ambush the other team when they started moving the payload. They just sat there waiting on the other side of the gate as the enemy sat on the point unchallenged.

Which would have been great... if we had managed to capture the point on attack in the first round. There wasn't ever going to be a payload to stop.

It boggles the mind.

Kyrios

Got 3 straight ranked placement match losses in a row because of people leaving mid-match. It's ridiculous.

As for Roadhog I have noticed I'm missing an awful lot lately with the hook, usually hook somebody almost every time before the latest patch. Still doing good with him though.

Anne

Maybe, wouldn't know.

Even when I just started playing Tracer I could get all of my clip to headshot him pretty consistently.

He's always been like that, why in pro play you see him played in a bunch of weird spots to keep him mostly covered.

I think I'm ready to start my placement matches after "training" the past few weeks with a broad range of heroes. Is it a good time now to do them on PS4 or are the players still being trolly?

Anyway, I've kinda broken down who I'm confident/good with:

Very confident with:
Reinhardt
Zarya
Zenyatta

Fairly confident with:
Roadhog
Mei
Soldier 76
Reaper
Junkrat
Symmetra