• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

You can tell the placement matches underrate you because playing with GAF in competitive it's been way more wins than losses, and the one loss I remember, included a previous rank 70 who was sitting around 2900.

I can't tell if Blizzard is afraid people will stop playing if they place closer to their likely rank. This moshpit of randomness in the gold/plat range is going to be annoying until people sort themselves out.

I dunno, I solo queued my placements and was solo queueing again tonight and lost 100+ points tonight. I'm just getting worse and worse at this game (or everyone else is actually improving) and the placement matches thought I was better because of my rank last season. :/

I FUCKING HATE LUCIO SO GOD DAMN MUCH

Good, he is working as we Lucios intended.

On a side note- had a gold medal in Elims (QP) as Lucio tonight w/19, which is done all the time I'm sure, except that I'm a defensive Lucio who mainly dodges around, and shoots only to harass enemies and point them out to my team. And we won after getting 'rolled on Volskaya A in record time. It makes no sense to me.

I'm so close to just picking Mercy and doing nothing but going for kills out of frustration and anger.

I have at times wished Mercy had an alt-Ult that let her shoot one teammate in the back of the head and have it attributed to the other team (with fake replay and all). There's always one who really needs to learn what's going on behind him.

Jarate

Banned
I've been trying an offensive mercy strat as an off healer with a zenyatta and did some work. I think my best game I had 30+ elims and 6 deaths with 9,900 damage

Moonkid

I have at times wished Mercy had an alt-Ult that let her shoot one teammate in the back of the head and have it attributed to the other team (with fake replay and all). There's always one who really needs to learn what's going on behind him.
That would be hilarious 😂😂, Blizzard surely

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've been trying an offensive mercy strat as an off healer with a zenyatta and did some work. I think my best game I had 30+ elims and 6 deaths with 9,900 damage

I've played at least a dozen games with Mercy where I got the most solo kills on my team. That said, it's not that I was good - it's that my team was just fucking balls.

wamberz1

I consider myself a patient person. I can deal with shitty randoms who don't get on the point. I can deal with friendly Mei's who block my ults off and deny me my kills. I can deal with ana's who just choose not to heal.
Seeing a enemy Lucio dancing on the payload while my team ignores him and chooses to fight people not on the point makes me lose several years of my life span.

The worst is being on defense and one dude breaks through to the point and then EVERY defender decides to leave the choke point and chase this one suicide attacker leaving our choke point open for everyone to slip through. It's happened to me so many times on eichenwald today.

I consider myself a patient person. I can deal with shitty randoms who don't get on the point. I can deal with friendly Mei's who block my ults off and deny me my kills. I can deal with ana's who just choose not to heal.
Seeing a enemy Lucio dancing on the payload while my team ignores him and chooses to fight people not on the point makes me lose several years of my life span.

It's the smart move, we Lucios are intimidating as hell, what with our sick beats and smooth moves. You come at me, you're gonna get booped.

Zarya is fucking comically broken on console, holy shit Blizzard.

I used to agree until the recent patch turned mcree into a killing machine. Now whenever I see her doing her shit in the air I just primary fire... around her, and she somehow dies.

edit:
whoops. Misread zarya as pharah. Need sleep.

Veelk

Banned
You know, Pharah could probably get a 50 armor HP update to her health and she'd be set. Before, that would have been insanity, since it was so hard to aim, but with this new aim assist, she's more managable, so maybe a health buff is warranted.

That said, I haven't experienced this myself. I can't use the aim assist for myself some reason. I turned it off for some characters (it actually improved Widowmaker by quite a deal pre-patch) but now I can't seem to get it to work at all even if it's at 100%.

finalflame

So I'm coming to the conclusion that it's best to only play late nights on school days. The quality of competitive for solo queue is far, far better.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Had a Symettra main that didn't want to work with the team, didn't communicate and refused to change. Stuck a teleporter way at the end when the enemy team didn't cap the 2nd point and apparently one of the guys on the enemy team also dealt with their shit in a prior game.
MQsErAk.jpg

Gxuo78W.jpg

MCf36YJ.jpg
THATS LITERALLY WHAT ONE OF THE GUYS SAID

LIKE ????? you get into a premade and play one hero all the time???? They let you?????????? And its okay???????
Was it a Genji? I might've had had him on my team too.

duckroll

I don't know what it is about Lijiang Tower, but three straight times on this map my team has been up 2-0, then the opposing team comes back to win 3-2. Then, there's the payload maps, where the opposing team always seems to carry it from the beginning point to near the end, all during overtime...

That's called choking. :)

Kito

Came across a McCree cheater in ranked. Checked his history of the hero.

Quick Play: 10 elims 8 deaths (~1:1)
Season 1: 20 elims 10 deaths (2:1)
Season 2: 35 elims 5 deaths (7:1)

He was gold tier playing with plats, there is no way this scrub suddenly lands nonstop headshots without hacks. :/

Jarate

Banned

He was gold tier playing with plats, there is no way this scrub suddenly lands nonstop headshots without hacks. :/

Sometimes you have a good ol game of atrug mccree and other times you have a game of incredible mccree. Maybe he was cheating, but sometimes you just go ham as McCree

R0ckman

You can tell the placement matches underrate you because playing with GAF in competitive it's been way more wins than losses, and the one loss I remember, included a previous rank 70 who was sitting around 2900.

I can't tell if Blizzard is afraid people will stop playing if they place closer to their likely rank. This moshpit of randomness in the gold/plat range is going to be annoying until people sort themselves out.

I was trying to theorize why really good people end up in garbage silver/bronze and this may be it.

I said before that I met this KICK ASS Lucio and she was in silver with me, we grouped up with a full team and steamed rolled. I don't want to take the work to climb without a group because its boring and its bad for my blood pressure as I got a bad migrain one night from the utter stupidity. Though the girl mentioned prior seemed like she was more interested in gaining points for gold weapons, so they could be dumping people in lower ranks to get them to stay in the game for easier wins to grind for gold weapons.

duckroll

Players cannot improve and get better. They must be cheating. Yup.

R0ckman

What the fuck, i used Nano Boost on my dva literallt standing RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and it went through her and hit my Lucio

im abandoning this character

I'm starting to wonder if this game needs to go back into the oven. I've had times with hit scan weapons where I am obviously hitting the character but its like its going through them.

Kito

I love how enemy Mercys will defend cheaters in their desperation for dps carry. You look pathetic and your damage boost is just decoration; know your place as a passive spectator that leeches off the skill of others, please.

Mercy players are the most toxic tbh. Like, they'll instadie at the start to Reaper and leave the game as if they're some entitled royalty. Or they'll play her on koth, die every second, and blame lack of protection instead of the hero pick. Or they'll play Mercy round 1, realise there's no dps to carry her, then go Reinhardt round 2 to protect their Mercy win rate stat. Lmao.

MrPanic

Nice, went from 2333 to 1999 today. Must be on a 20 games lose streak right now. You'd think my teammate luck would turn around at some point but nope. Solo queue hype.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
After I continued to play tonight, I'm convinced no matter how good or bad you are, you just can't clutch a game. Period. Well, that's an exaggeration - I've done it. I've seen others do it. I'm sure many here will claim they do it. But my point is that - more often than not - when the games are stacked against you; it doesn't matter how well you play or how well you think you'll play - you're probably going to lose and there's nothing - NOTHING - you can do about it.

I think that's why I think R6 is so superior. In Siege, teamwork matters MORE than in Overwatch, in many cases - communication, constant awareness, etc. And your "hero" selection is absolutely critical.

And yet, even still, when the game is 5 or 4 v 1, and there's 30 sec on the clock, everyone is still a good sport. Everyone is still supportive. Everyone is still engaged. Because 1 person CAN clutch. One person can face the odds and carry. Now it's hard - hard enough that rarely is anyone trying to be a hero - but it's so perfectly balanced that it's always fun.

In OW, I can 9 times out of 10 determine if we're going to lose in the first 60 seconds of a round.

R0ckman

Nice, went from 2333 to 1999 today. Must be on a 20 games lose streak right now. You'd think my teammate luck would turn around at some point but nope. Solo queue hype.

Good god. This is the epitome of gambling.

I think eventually judging by the stats no longer showing losses they will make a ranking system somewhat similar to the one in the closed beta that was lame but will be more casual friendly.

R0ckman

After I continued to play tonight, I'm convinced no matter how good or bad you are, you just can't clutch a game. Period. Well, that's an exaggeration - I've done it. I've seen others do it. I'm sure many here will claim they do it. But my point is that - more often than not - when the games are stacked against you; it doesn't matter how well you play or how well you think you'll play - you're probably going to lose and there's nothing - NOTHING - you can do about it.

I think that's why I think R6 is so superior. In Siege, teamwork matters MORE than in Overwatch, in many cases - communication, constant awareness, etc. And your "hero" selection is absolutely critical.

And yet, even still, when the game is 5 or 4 v 1, and there's 30 sec on the clock, everyone is still a good sport. Everyone is still supportive. Everyone is still engaged. Because 1 person CAN clutch. One person can face the odds and carry. Now it's hard - hard enough that rarely is anyone trying to be a hero - but it's so perfectly balanced that it's always fun.

In OW, I can 9 times out of 10 determine if we're going to lose in the first 60 seconds of a round.

Ding ding ding.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That makes it sound more like overwatch is more reliant on teamwork if you can't just have 1 person clutch it for you.

Like honestly, as always, not to sound cruel but people in this thread need to learn to not overestimate themselves. Not saying everyone is but a lot of people come off that way.

Odds are your teammates thinks the same about the team too.

That also gives no credit to the enemy team who might actually just be better.

duckroll

Wait, I don't understand, R6 is superior because you think that teamwork matters more than it does in Overwatch. And your proof of that is that because in R6 one person can... carry the team and clutch it alone? That... does not seem to reflect what you're trying to say... lol.

Clutches in OW happen all the time. It happens to my team and it happens to the other team when we choke. Teamwork is absolutely vital -because- one person cannot carry and clutch for a team. Everyone has to turn it around together.

There is a reason why many times on KotH maps, when one team is at a disadvantage, suddenly they stop attacking completely even though the counter is running at 80% or more. Because rushing and trying to be a "hero" does nothing alone. But a coordinated counterattack after half the team switches out to present something the other team doesn't expect can throw them off even in Overtime and retaking the point can clutch the entire game.

Ghazi

Overwatch is most certainly not a game you can "clutch" in, you can have clutch moments, but you can't lone wolf it. You'll get punished for trying to one man army it, too, because you'll be out of range of your healer and/or ganked because the other team realizes the importance of grouping together. Comebacks are very often a thing and sometimes all it takes is for a team to collect themselves, get together, and give one good push.

That's one of my favorite aspects about this game, it actually necessitates teamwork but still lets you feel awesome when you do something cool. It's also one of my weak points, because I play extremely aggressively and feel like I should be able to take on situations where that's a really bad idea.

finalflame

Spot on. Some games are out of your control. No matter how good a player is, unless you're master/grandmaster playing with plats and golds, you probably aren't gonna carry. Even then, mendokusai was playing comp the other night and getting placed on teams with plats and losing. He was grouped with one other Master player, too.

R0ckman

That makes it sound more like overwatch is more reliant on teamwork if you can't just have 1 person clutch it for you.

Like honestly, as always, not to sound cruel but people in this thread need to learn to not overestimate themselves. Not saying everyone is but a lot of people come off that way.

Odds are your teammates thinks the same about the team too.

That also gives no credit to the enemy team who might actually just be better.

Sometimes you can really see the situation when an enemy team is better but most of the times they aren't from what I've seen as I can kill 3 in one life depending on my character. I had a match with a GAFFER grouping with just me and him and the players we were with actually were bad and the other team was almost equal but just had better team work. They were losing fire fights equally but they combod their ults better. Thats it.

And I say bad as in bad for competetive and only had half the spirit of what it takes. Only communicated rarely, assumed decent comp was the problem before teamwork, ignored chat, sat on ults, wasted ults when asked not to got defensive in chat even though I was not toxic etc. thats when you know you have bad players. It was clear the players didnt really care THAT much about winning and in that case why should they even be in the mode?

duckroll

I feel the biggest difference between carrying in Overwatch and carrying in other team shooters I have played is that to carry in OW you need to do more than just perform well as an individual player. In fact, that isn't even the main requirement. To truly carry a game, you need to be aware of what your team needs, what it lacks, and accept the limits of your team's skill level, and consider how to best overcome the enemy team using what you have.

You could be the best Genji in the world, you could be a ultimate hitscan hero when it comes to accuracy, you could be death cancer Mei incarnate, but sometimes that doesn't help your team enough to win because they don't understand how to take advantage of it. If the team understands how to take advantage of that, the conversation wouldn't be about clutching. So instead of thinking in terms of "why can't I use my awesome obviously superior skill playing this character to carry my team to victory by sheer force of will alone", why not think in terms of "we may be losing, this team isn't too great, but if I suggested a few changes, changed into a lead tank or support instead, and if they listen, we can turn this whole thing around". Because that in my experience has a higher than 50% chance of succeeding every time. Of course they have to want to listen. If you are stuck with a team of deadbeats who don't care to work together, you're fucked and you can't do anything, but that's not a game design problem, that's a community problem.

This actually happened in my last placement match. We were in Nepal and the Round score was tied 2-2, the objective score was tied 99% - 99% in overtime. I triggered my Death Blossom Ult right in the middle of the objective platform with 4 enemies on there. It already took out 2 people almost instantly and I was getting ready to side-swipe Reignheart and then all of audden our Mei throws up an ice wall right in front of me. I'm trying to salvage my Ult and go around the ice. I manage to still get the opposing Mercy ( with a shotgun hit) but Reignheart is pretty much untouched and he smashes both me and Mei. I'm assuming the other team quickly recovered because by the time I respawned the match was over..... *sigh*

I should have been 5/5 in my placement matches...

R0ckman

I feel the biggest difference between carrying in Overwatch and carrying in other team shooters I have played is that to carry in OW you need to do more than just perform well as an individual player. In fact, that isn't even the main requirement. To truly carry a game, you need to be aware of what your team needs, what it lacks, and accept the limits of your team's skill level, and consider how to best overcome the enemy team using what you have.

You could be the best Genji in the world, you could be a ultimate hitscan hero when it comes to accuracy, you could be death cancer Mei incarnate, but sometimes that doesn't help your team enough to win because they don't understand how to take advantage of it. If the team understands how to take advantage of that, the conversation wouldn't be about clutching. So instead of thinking in terms of "why can't I use my awesome obviously superior skill playing this character to carry my team to victory by sheer force of will alone", why not think in terms of "we may be losing, this team isn't too great, but if I suggested a few changes, changed into a lead tank or support instead, and if they listen, we can turn this whole thing around". Because that in my experience has a higher than 50% chance of succeeding every time. Of course they have to want to listen. If you are stuck with a team of deadbeats who don't care to work together, you're fucked and you can't do anything, but that's not a game design problem, that's a community problem.

I agree with this, I almost turned a match around by telling the team to get off turret characters and dog pile the payload over and over, we almost won until I noticed that our bastion did not switch to a faster character towards the end.

Actually not even sure he died as I came out he was no where near contesting the point and
ulting with Mercy damage boosting him during the defeat screen.

Just had a mean game on Volskaya with two gaffers that could of easily gone either way. The game went all five rounds before we won, just by the skin of our teeth. Good game guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom