• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

I mean a really good Lucio or Mercy can be different but picking a support because it makes the team comp look good is almost always a bad idea. Only really good support players can reliably stay alive (and still do their job) these days.

If enemy team wants to snipe Mercy they will snipe Mercy. Maybe it costs them 3-4 players, but they will get you. There is only so much you can do to survive :b

----

Today is the day of shit Diva's. Holding to that pick even when enemy picks Zarya and utterly fucking reks Diva's face in with sledgehammer over and over again.

matmanx1

I haven't noticed an increase in Zarya's beam range but it definitely sticks to targets much better now because of the aim assist change.

You must be talking console play because I'm not seeing any difference on the PC. Her beam is now and always has been 25 meters. Maybe the hitbox is more generous now on the beam? Or aim assist is helping out more.

IKizzLE

To pile on the Zarya train...a ton of people I knew that were Top 500 last season with Genji have all switched to Zarya this season and are ranking up QUICKLY. Like already master after 20 games....

My buddy won only 4 of his 10 placement matches and got placed at 2950. Why? Well, he used Zarya and its VERY easy to have ridiculous stats at the end of each round.

finalflame

If enemy team wants to snipe Mercy they will snipe Mercy. Maybe it costs them 3-4 players, but they will get you. There is only so much you can do to survive :b

----

Today is the day of shit Diva's. Holding to that pick even when enemy picks Zarya and utterly fucking reks Diva's face in with sledgehammer over and over again.

That's why I stopped maining D.Va. By now, most people have gotten smart and the Zaryas are focusing you like a motherfucker, meaning you can barely disrupt/get in without getting insta-destroyed. Not only that, but teams seem utterly incompetent at killing the enemy Zarya so I can fuck shit up. Oh well.

LiK

they're playing her wrong in that match up. i have fun as Dva just shooting Zarya to bait out her bubble and then boost away when she gets close to let my teammates take her down. i try to finish her off from a distance if her life is really low. it's been working pretty good for me.

matmanx1

Did all my placements in a row yesterday and it went ok.

7-3 is pretty good, but 2 of the 3 losses were absolute shitshows with people barely above 25 playing really poorly, and the last loss had a toxic player, so they could have gone a lot better considering those 2 matches where we weren't able to do literally anyhing.
Compared to the s1 placements it's definitely an improvement since I placed lv40 and this time I had no leavers.

How did my 40s hell bros fare this time?

Eh, I haven't done my placement matches at all yet for S2. I needed a bit of a break from OW so I finished Xenoblade Chronicles X this weekend and started up Project Diva X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions. I might be back to competitive this week and will update with my number whenever that happens.

KyleCross

So, in my quest to get better at more characters I just embraced what I hate most. I have embraced the Mei. I figured if I start forcing myself to play as her maybe I'd stop hating her. I just had a really good game with her in Lijang Tower, so it's a damn good start.

is everyone ready for overwatch's free weekend?
po3RDVm.gif

looking forward to the high standards of play!

ViviOggi

Eh, there's no communication on PS4, and it's very easy to just turn off other people speaking.

I guess there's nothing you can do, but punishments don't help if someone leaves for personal issues. I've had 2 people leave during winning games.
That's fair, I was talking from a PC perspective. But even without that factor in the end this really is the best solution, as frustrating as it is to be on the receiving end of the occasional leaver streak.

X-Frame

You must be talking console play because I'm not seeing any difference on the PC. Her beam is now and always has been 25 meters. Maybe the hitbox is more generous now on the beam? Or aim assist is helping out more.

It's possible. Console aiming aim assist got fixed so that could be it since console Zarya's can more easily track at the end ranges of Zarya's beam, making it seem like it got longer.

This is why I can track Pharah out of the sky easier now if the Pharah is dumb enough to start falling down right over the main force that Zarya should always be sticking with. Before there was no reason for me to even attempt to track Pharah with the aiming working against me.

i'm glad AA6 is out this week. taking this weekend to play AA6 and avoid the free weekend surge. servers are gonna be shit.
severs aren't the only thing that's gonna be shit :p
i love mercy memes.
I'm ready to camp outside the spawn door as Bastion when the game starts for an easy triple/quad/quintuple kill. :D
beta flashbacks. bastion POTGs everywhere
Just don't play QP during weekend?
i only play quick play!
So glad that's not coming to PC, or I wouldn't touch the game for its duration.
I guess you could just do as above, if it did :)

R0ckman

Sometimes I'm afraid to DPS lock because if you force randoms into a role they dont know how to play its basically like being down a player.

Also notice that you are pretty much done if you start a match and there is zero awareness for team comp and everyone starts locking characters.

I now fear junkrat on the select screen WAAAAAY more than I did Hanzo, he truly is the new Hanzo.

finalflame

I guess you could just do as above, if it did :)

Indeed, but I like to use QP for practicing heroes I'm not entirely comfortable with in Competitive and to blow off steam in between stressful competitive streaks. I guess it wouldn't be too bad since the matchmaking wouldn't put me with new players anyways being Lv. ~150.

All moot, though, as Blizzard isn't doing it on PC.

Sometimes I'm afraid to DPS lock because if you force randoms into a role they dont know how to play its basically like being down a player.

Also notice that you are pretty much done if you start a match and there is zero awareness for team comp and everyone starts locking characters.

I now fear junkrat on the select screen WAAAAAY more than I did Hanzo, he truly us the new Hanzo.

Yah, comfort picks are better than meta picks most of the time if the people being forced to pick meta heroes are just gonna suck at them anyways. So I try to never lock and just wait for others to start picking. With that said, I feel like almost every time I'm pushed to a healer role with randoms we end up having shit tanks/DPS anyways and my healing is pointless since the team can't get anything done. Switch to DPS/Tank, wipe out half the enemy team and then we're finally able to push the point.

matmanx1

Saw this on the new Meta report:

"It’s far too early to tell whether the Triple Tank, Triple Support strat will become this Season’s version of Orb-ital Destruction or the 2/2/2 strats of old, but I feel confident saying it’s either going to be broken, or easily countered – nothing in-between. It’s one of those strategies that’s just so weird that either there’s an easy counter no one has thought of yet (Bastion/Mei?), or the only viable counter will be itself."

Sounds like fun. You need a good Ana to pull it off because her ult is sort of key to the whole thing (Ana, Zenyatta, Lucio with Rein, Zarya and either Winston or Roadhog. Ana builds ult quickly and then boosts Rein for quick picks) but I'm sure it's fun to be part of and demoralizing to play against. I want to try it!

Rad-

Haven't played new Hanzo until now for few games. He is pretty damn good. He has that "oops just oneshotted 3-4 enemies" potential that can win cap points. Definitely much easier to hit long range targets now with his arrows

I want to try a comp of Rein, Zarya, Hanzo, McCree, Zen and Mercy at some point.

LiK

Haven't played new Hanzo until now for few games. He is pretty damn good. He has that "oops just oneshotted 3-4 enemies" potential that can win cap points.

faster speed makes a huge difference. but i haven't played him much after buff except for a few times in QP.

NimbusD

Yah, but if you're more than a few meters from the target, you're basically doing no damage. Shooting also slows you down, making you more vulnerable. I try to hit a balance between shooting, flying in/to enemies, DM to absorb damage/save at risk teammates, and get finishing strikes/follow low health enemies to kill them off. My goal as D.Va is to stay in my mech, which gets harder and harder as more people play good Zaryas and learn to focus you down ASAP + you get insta-discorded, so you kinda have to be smart about when you slow your movement drastically to shoot, IMO.

Yeah for sure, I'm not saying at all that you should be a sniper dva (which I've seen people do, and question their sanity). Get in people's faces, surround your teammtes in your DM, but always be shooting things. If you're too far away, still shoot for a second or two until you have boost and can get in with a quick charge/punch combo, and keep shooting. No reason to just slowly lumber over and not shoot when you're probably going toboost anyway in two seconds.

So many kills came down to just barely ekeing out the last 10 points of damage one osmeone before they could get away, and conversely, I've missed so many kills on people when teammates think that shooting someone is pointless when you don't think you can kill them.

Greddleok

That's fair, I was talking from a PC perspective. But even without that factor in the end this really is the best solution, as frustrating as it is to be on the receiving end of the occasional leaver streak.

Yeah, I just need to suck it up and deal with it. Just frustrating to have lost so many matches thanks to leavers. Competitive is so much more fun than QP too, although I've been playing support 90% of the time because no one else will pick one -_-

finalflame

Yeah for sure, I'm not saying at all that you should be a sniper dva (which I've seen people do, and question their sanity). Get in people's faces, surround your teammtes in your DM, but always be shooting things. If you're too far away, still shoot for a second or two until you have boost and can get in with a quick charge/punch combo, and keep shooting. No reason to just slowly lumber over and not shoot when you're probably going toboost anyway in two seconds.

So many kills came down to just barely ekeing out the last 10 points of damage one osmeone before they could get away, and conversely, I've missed so many kills on people when teammates think that shooting someone is pointless when you don't think you can kill them.

For sure dude! The only time I "sniper D.Va" is to wear down Rein shield, since the spread makes all the bullets hit his shield and it helps take it down quicker. But yah, D.Va is great at chasing/finishing off straddlers and, in general, just chipping away at health.

Gorillaz

Saw this on the new Meta report:

"It’s far too early to tell whether the Triple Tank, Triple Support strat will become this Season’s version of Orb-ital Destruction or the 2/2/2 strats of old, but I feel confident saying it’s either going to be broken, or easily countered – nothing in-between. It’s one of those strategies that’s just so weird that either there’s an easy counter no one has thought of yet (Bastion/Mei?), or the only viable counter will be itself."

Sounds like fun. You need a good Ana to pull it off because her ult is sort of key to the whole thing (Ana, Zenyatta, Lucio with Rein, Zarya and either Winston or Roadhog. Ana builds ult quickly and then boosts Rein for quick picks) but I'm sure it's fun to be part of and demoralizing to play against. I want to try it!

Triple tank heal could be interesting. Roadhog/D.VA serves as a good enough pseudo DPS guy with the right looks, Rein is Rein or a Winston as disruption. Zarya is a must imo.

Bastion and junk (possibly 76) are too dangerous for that tho from a distance. Unless Roadhog is roaming/Search and Destroy mode, that combo can be eaten alive.

LiK

i feel like the SR win/loss points you get is broken. even when i win against a team that has higher SR, the gains are so tiny.

Blues1990

A Mercy on my team had stuck with me through the match, as the enemy team we're hunting her butt. I went to pop my bubble on her/melt the opposing team with my beam.

We single-handedly carried our team throughout the game, then she got MPV & I got a 17 kill streak with no deaths. Got the nicest complements from that player, as she was stressing out with babying the morons that did jack shit to protect her, so it was a change of pace to have a tank watching over her.

Tovarisc

i feel like the SR win/loss points you get is broken. even when i win against a team that has higher SR, the gains are so tiny.

Nah, they don't want you climbing fast / easily. You clearly lose more than you gain if you take 1 loss and then 1 win. And falling into deep dark hole is super easy.

Tovarisc

that sounds horrible and makes me wanna quit.

In SR free fall for 2nd day in row. Game keeps giving warm shit into hands, not much you can do with that. Why the fuck "gauge for personal skill" is directly tied to performance of 5 other players?

Local Nerd Rant incoming.

I'm really starting to hate Competitve mode. This is the 8th time in the past two days I've lost a match because one of my teammates was being a sore loser and left the match when we were about to lose round 1, probably thinking they don't get a loss. Nope.

Not only are you a fucking douche for doing that, but now the rest of the team has to suffer and get a guaranteed loss because we're one man short, and that heavily damages our chances of winning.

I also hate this tier ranking system too. I'm not the best Overwatch player or anything, and I feel like I deserve the gold ranking I got from the placement matches. But why am I level 95 and being paired with people who are level 30 and 25 but also have gold??? I know levels don't matter in the long run, a level 60 player can be twice as good as a prestige player, but fuck me I'd feel more comfortable being paired with players who are near my level rank.

Like I said, I'm not good or great. I just consider myself decent and got in the rank I feel I deserve. Just decent. But I'm not so sure about most of these randos I've paired up with.. I've seen Platinum, Gold, and Silver players do shit that makes them look like they belong in Bronze. I don't know if they got lucky in placement matches or they just suddenly started playing like shit, but this is why I'm sort of against tier rankings being based on wins and loses in a few matches vs overall performance during the placement matches.

Just had to vent after 2 teammates dipped when we almost lost in Round 1. Not to say all Comp randos are bad. I've played with some genuinely amazing randos who honestly carried the team a few times. But sometimes I feel like you're being punished severely for trying to do Comp solo, and I get they wanna encourage group play, but my group's not gonna want to do Comp every single time we get together.

I know not everyone has these problems I've been having, so it's probably just my shitty luck.

xaosslug

----

what were you doing in the match to help, tho? Were you trying to take out the Zarya so the D,Va could survive, or did you just resign yourself to the loss? This whole tank v. tank while the 'squishies' hide in the bg type of play/mentality is the worst. Peeps shit on D.Va when they lose a match, but when she wipes 2-3 enemies w/ a nerf where is her props or support? T__T

Ramirez

Console players are going to gripe until Zarya gets unreasonably nerfed, I guess. Sigh.

Because she needs it. You haven't played the console version, so let's not act like it's baseless whining. Blizzard flat out needs to do a better job of balancing the two versions differently. They also need to test shit better on console, it was immediately evident that the auto aim was buffed WAY too much, no clue how they shipped it like it is.

Also, to the guy above talking about levels. They really mean nothing, I'm a 40 on Xbox and within 2 games of being placed, I was already being matched against Masters. Ive already got 3 messages from people telling me to switch when I pick Ana before the round even starts, lol. Fuck off!

The hole is real. I got Diamond so I really should stop caring so much. But I feel dirty being a 'Diamond' at level 2890 or whatever I'm currently at.

Overbuff still hasn't updated my stats in days. Getting pretty annoyed.

Tovarisc

what were you doing in the match to help, tho? Were you trying to take out the Zarya so the D,Va could survive, or did you just resign yourself to the loss? This whole tank v. tank while the 'squishies' hide in the bg type of play/mentality is the worst. Peeps shit on D.Va when they lose a match, but when she wipes 2-3 enemies w/ a nerf where is her props or support? T__T

I tried to politely ask her to swap to other tank like Rein, she wouldn't. This while I did my best in keeping her alive as Mercy. Zarya just melted Diva SO fast.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
lost 100 points because of me carrying teams until my back breaks, god people I play with suck at this game, shit is infuriating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom