• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

matmanx1

Well, it sounds like the new Comp system is designed to put you at a certain point and make it fairly difficult to climb to the next tier unless you are winning 60 - 65% of your games. Which means most people are going to be losing rank over time.

I am glad that you don't rank down anymore though. That means I can just play for fun and comp points and not worry too much about my rank after the initial placement.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Damn that Zarya + Mei ult combo is wild.

Had 4 gold medals with Mei :3

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I feel personally that junkrat players are more often guys who don't care, just trying out comp, will easily leave, troll or play half baked.
Junkrat is extremely easy to use and is fairly powerful. The difference between a good Junkrat and a bad one is knowing where to place traps, when to use bombs and if you can directly shoot at enemy and hit them. He's probably getting nerfed soon I bet.

xxczx

Junkrat is extremely easy to use and is fairly powerful. The difference between a good Junkrat and a bad one is knowing where to place traps, when to use bombs and if you can directly shoot at enemy and hit them. He's probably getting nerfed soon I bet.
I mean, if you're saying that you can say it about any hero.

Hanzo is extremely easy to use, just spam arrows in the general direction of enemies.
Mercy is extremely easy to use, just keep hold of left click.
Lucio is extremely easy to use, keep E on cooldown and hop around.
Torbj is extremely easy to use, place turret, spam hammer.

Just because something is easy to use, does not make it powerful. You said yourself that there is a difference between a bad junkrat and a good one, which is basically every hero ever.

Because she needs it. You haven't played the console version, so let's not act like it's baseless whining. Blizzard flat out needs to do a better job of balancing the two versions differently. They also need to test shit better on console, it was immediately evident that the auto aim was buffed WAY too much, no clue how they shipped it like it is.

Also, to the guy above talking about levels. They really mean nothing, I'm a 40 on Xbox and within 2 games of being placed, I was already being matched against Masters. Ive already got 3 messages from people telling me to switch when I pick Ana before the round even starts, lol. Fuck off!

I only got one hate message for using Ana, the guy really wanted me to be Lucio instead. I didn't ask for the opinion, and I would of picked a DPS character instead, I'm much more effective with Ana than Lucio. He messaged "your a fuggen disgrace" at the end of the game, the real"fuggen disgrace" is me outhealing the Lucio in his group and his lackluster McCree skills. I got bronze on damage too, but alas we're immediately doomed when someone on the team goes "well we're screwed now, we got **** who we don't need".

X-Frame

Who is a good Winston streamer to watch?

I'd like to get good at him when someone else picks Zarya since they synergize so damn well together on KOTH.

Who is a good Winston streamer to watch?

I'd like to get good at him when someone else picks Zarya since they synergize so damn well together on KOTH.

Really? I always thought Rein has the best synergy with Zarya.

Zarya gets free energy from him when she bubbles Rein since the damage goes to her shield over his.

xaosslug

I tried to politely ask her to swap to other tank like Rein, she wouldn't. This while I did my best in keeping her alive as Mercy. Zarya just melted Diva SO fast.

were they a bad D.Va? Maybe, they're just a bad Rein but a good D.Va? What you should have tried to do was galvanize the rest of the team to pressure Zarya. Were any of the other party members Mei? Could anyone play Mei well? Mei can be a big problem for Zarya. A Mei + D.Va combo can stop Zarya from running the show

I laugh every time Mercy says "Help me! ;-;"

lol bitch you dead lets be real

this made me LOL way harder than it should have! xD

D.Va is good. The Junkrat obsession is getting old. Most people suck.

Junkrat & D.Va, 2 of the funnest characters to play. ^___^

hydruxo

Zarya gets free energy from him when she bubbles Rein since the damage goes to her shield over his.

Winston melts whole teams when they're in Zarya's black hole though which also reharges his ult quick so that he can push everyone off the point

LiK

I'm starting to notice a pattern with people always gravitating towards certain heroes in their pools depending on who they end up maining. I should make a list and compare.

Winston melts whole teams when they're in Zarya's black hole though which also reharges his ult quick so that he can push everyone off the point

Yeah, but that's true of pretty much everyone. It's hard to fine a character that doesn't have good synergy with Zarya's Ult.

WAT??????????

tA5j6MO.jpg

xaosslug

What? Is D.Va considered bad again? What happened?

if you didn't play her before the DM buff then you are kinda SOL w/ the rise of Russia's finest. Especially after the DM cooldown nerf last patch. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

this new Zarya meta is pretty much what it was like running D.Va pre-buff, tho. LOL

WAT??????????

This is deceiving, yes the bubble goes outside the shield, but this assumes that people are firing in the direct center (where the barrier is). Great for projectile spam (junkrat/pharah), but any hitscan hero will be targeting the side/corners of the shield (hiding behind cover), hitting the side/corners of the shield does not touch the particle barrier and thus does not give her energy.

finalflame

were they a bad D.Va? Maybe, they're just a bad Rein but a good D.Va? What you should have tried to do was galvanize the rest of the team to pressure Zarya. Were any of the other party members Mei? Could anyone play Mei well? Mei can be a big problem for Zarya. A Mei + D.Va combo can stop Zarya from running the show

Junkrat & D.Va, 2 of the funnest characters to play. ^___^

Mei a problem for Zarya? Just wait for her ice build up, shield, and get away. You can also shield out of her Ult. I've never had a problem with Mei as Zarya; I can usually get away from her and then the rest of the team just focuses her, or if I'm mid/high energy I just melt her.

Competitive isn't about having fun, so how fun D.Va or Junkrat are is irrelevant; it's about being effective. Most people taking Junkrat for a spin in Competitive do so in situations where he isn't good/are not effective as Junkrat. Same for a lot of D.Va players. With that said, I think D.Va is a good hero for competitive, and have had some D.Vas that were a headache on the enemy team, but I can hardly ever remember a problematic Junkrat on the enemy team that wasn't easily shut down.

The newbie's "Junkrat dream" is that they're gonna lob grenades, get MAD kills and ult charge, and detonate that GAME CHANGING HIGH OCTANE RIP-TIRE.

The reality of most competitive Junkrat players is the opposing team just avoids/swallows your grenade with D.Va's Defense Matrix /Zarya's Projectile Barrier/Rein's shield, avoid your traps and concussion mine's because they're easily spotted, and you'll be killed half way into your ult because you have to stand there, vulnerable. And if your ult gets any good kills, it'll probably just be insta-countered by the enemy team's Mercy res.

I swear every time someone picks a hero that is a terrible choice for the situation/map, they think they are just gonna KILL IT because they have this MIND BLOWING strategy that YOU JUST CAN'T WAIT TO SEE, and it falls flat. Pick what works, get good at meta heroes, or just go play fun novel things in QP where nobody cares if they win and overall level of play is much lower so your cheesy tactics might work.

This is based on high-Platinum level gameplay on PC, btw.

/rant

X-Frame

I would say Reinhardt should be a must pick for Payload and Assault maps, but for KOTH I think a Winston can be even more effective if the Winston can consistently jump onto their entire team to soften them up and disrupt them.

Zarya can toss a barrier on Winston right before he lands who almost certainly will generate 50 charge instantly all while he zaps the team he just injured with his jump pack AoE damage and then popping his own bubble shield. That can be a lot of AoE damage and disruption and survivability if the timing works right.

And yeah at higher Skill Ranks I notice both sides want to get Rein's shield down ASAP so putting a Barrier on Reinhardt is often free and safe energy.

Greddleok

Had a couple of really good matches as Mercy. Her healing is actually able to keep a hero alive now if they're being focussed by 1 or 2 opponents.

Even had a terrifying match where I was the only support, no tanks and all DPS on defence. We absolutely annihilated them because they didn't (or couldn't had an awesome Pharah who would jump around and I could fly to her if I was even looked at) focus me down, AND my teammates knew the disengage when they were getting shot and come find me.

Was really fun, able to keep everyone topped up all the time, and even got a kill in with my pistol.

Tovarisc

She would fight Zarya even if only support against her was me trying to heal her. I could swap to sidearm and she would die just that much faster. Retreat was unknown word to this Diva, basically throwing herself into death repeatedly.

Is there a website somewhere that lists damage tables? There are little things I'd like to know like how much damage does a Winston jump pack do when he lands? Do all heroes melee for 25hp? what characters can headshot? etc...

finalflame

"Hero isn't a problem, just kill them!"

Why hadn't I thought of actually killing Zarya?!

Lol, right? Good Zarya will be an off-tank hanging out around the back lines of the team, applying projectile barriers/lobbing projectiles and only going in with her own barrier up/at high energy to melt enemies with her beam/during a team push. I learned this really fast with Zarya, you are one of the more fragile tanks, and need to play smart and conservative instead of fast & reckless.

Because she needs it. You haven't played the console version, so let's not act like it's baseless whining. Blizzard flat out needs to do a better job of balancing the two versions differently. They also need to test shit better on console, it was immediately evident that the auto aim was buffed WAY too much, no clue how they shipped it like it is.
I actually agree!

But Blizzard appear to be taking the feedback of console and PC players as equally useful for the balancing they do — and then rolling out more or less identical balance "fixes" with very little divergence besides timing.

And responding to console-specific problems could really mess with the experience of PC players. You could argue it already has with Genji's movement nerf.

xaosslug

Mei a problem for Zarya? Just wait for her ice build up, shield, and get away. You can also shield out of her Ult. I've never had a problem with Mei as Zarya; I can usually get away from her and then the rest of the team just focuses her, or if I'm mid/high energy I just melt her.

Competitive isn't about having fun, so how fun D.Va or Junkrat are is irrelevant; it's about being effective. Most people taking Junkrat for a spin in Competitive do so in situations where he isn't good/are not effective as Junkrat. Same for a lot of D.Va players. With that said, I think D.Va is a good hero for competitive, and have had some D.Vas that were a headache on the enemy team, but I can hardly ever remember a problematic Junkrat on the enemy team that wasn't easily shut down.

The newbie's "Junkrat dream" is that they're gonna lob grenades, get MAD kills and ult charge, and detonate that GAME CHANGING HIGH OCTANE RIP-TIRE.

The reality of most competitive Junkrat players is the opposing team just avoids/swallows your grenade with D.Va's Defense Matrix /Zarya's Projectile Barrier/Rein's shield, avoid your traps and concussion mine's because they're easily spotted, and you'll be killed half way into your ult because you have to stand there, vulnerable. And if your ult gets any good kills, it'll probably just be insta-countered by the enemy team's Mercy res.

I swear every time someone picks a hero that is a terrible choice for the situation/map, they think they are just gonna KILL IT because they have this MIND BLOWING strategy that YOU JUST CAN'T WAIT TO SEE, and it falls flat. Pick what works, get good at meta heroes, or just go play fun novel things in QP where nobody cares if they win and overall level of play is much lower so your cheesy tactics might work.

This is based on high-Platinum level gameplay on PC, btw.

/rant

honestly it's a GAME. It's all about FUN. If you are pulling your hair out over this GAME, then, well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah, I'm on console, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Holy shit I just spotted a cheater Hanzo, he used his Ultimate twice in a row.

Did he get a shit ton of kills with the first Ult?

I full health kill nets you about 20% of an Ult charge.

So if he killed 4 or more people with 1 Ult, he'd be able to fire another Ult in less than 20 seconds, most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom