• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalflame

honestly it's a GAME. It's all about FUN. If you are pulling your hair out over this GAME, then, well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah, I'm on console, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sure, it's all fun, but the source of fun is different. Fun in QP is dicking around with whatever you want to try, win or lose, and having a good time.

Fun in Competitive is playing organized, effective, and skillful moves in order to win matches and advance your ranking/improve your skill. Don't be one of the people taking a huge dump on the team in Competitive and going "GUYS WHAT'S WRONG THIS IS ALL FOR FUN DON'T BE SO ANGRY" while you're playing attack Torbjörn on Route 66.

Also, yah, guess the skill ceilings are quite different between console and PC, so what applies to one does not apply to the other necessarily. I still think Zarya can go up against Mei in most, if not all, team encounters.

Azoor

which is why she should always be priority instead of people running away from her.

The best way I found to deal with Zarya is to either take her by surprise with Reaper or attack her from a high ground like the ones in Gibraltar because her beam doesn't reach that high. Pharah is really a good way to deal with her too.

Azoor

Did he get a shit ton of kills with the first Ult?

I full health kill nets you about 20% of an Ult charge.

So if he killed 4 or more people with 1 Ult, he'd be able to fire another Ult in less than 20 seconds, most likely.

Only 2 players died initially and then he had another one up like 10 seconds later.

Prelude.

I went like 6-3-1 and ended up at 2450, was desperate to break into platinum but am now at 2300. Not sure if I'm gonna make it back up so I'm taking a week or two off.

Good stuff though!
I went 8-2, solo queuing the last 7 matches and ended up at 2405. Last season, was the reverse for me, I went 2-8 and got placed at 37, just barely making it back up to 40.

So far, I'm really enjoying Season 2 a lot more. :)
Well, you're really close to plat so if you're a bit lucky you can get there and you should be out of hell. Or at least I think so, I had a friend that got placed into platinum with me and lost 400 points today because he was getting paired up with bronze tier players, so who knows? Maybe there's just not enough plat players yet to make a full team.
Try 30's hell :p I placed mid gold and just reached plat yesterday (thendropped a bit under plat status, but the way games are going I have confidence I'll make it to at least mid plat tier as the norm).

Last season was such a shit show for me. It's crazy how much more fun this game is when you have competent, less toxic teams, even if you lose.
Oh, I got to the 30s, I dropped until 32 and I got stuck a bit at around 38, but for some reason it wasn't nearly as bad as the 40s where I hovered around 45 forever, got to 49 and dropped to 41 only to end on 46.
I don't know, maybe I just got lucky but the 30s might have been more about low "mechanical" skills than actually bad players that are toxic/don't understand the game/shit comps etc.
Is there a website somewhere that lists damage tables? There are little things I'd like to know like how much damage does a Winston jump pack do when he lands? Do all heroes melee for 25hp? what characters can headshot? etc...
I use this one. Melee does 30 btw, except for the special ones like Rein, Torb and melee ults.

Odrion

Banned
"Hero isn't a problem, just kill them!"

Why hadn't I thought of actually killing Zarya?!
She has the lowest health of the tanks and no defensive mechanics outside of her bubble which is on a eight second cooldown when it dissipates. Click her face when her shield vanishes. It's not hard.
Zarya is one of those heroes that you DON'T want to encounter in close range.
Her range doesn't matter, as long as her beam can hit you it'll hurt you just as much whether it's point blank or not.

X-Frame

Is there a website somewhere that lists damage tables? There are little things I'd like to know like how much damage does a Winston jump pack do when he lands? Do all heroes melee for 25hp? what characters can headshot? etc...

Seems like the Overwatch Wiki is what you're looking for.

http://overwatch.gamepedia.com/Winston

That's for Winston. 50 hp damage from a Jump Pack landing in a large AoE area of roughly 20 meters, that's not insignificant if he's jumping onto the 200 hp class heroes and zapping them at the same time. Plus landing staggers people.

Did he get a shit ton of kills with the first Ult?

I full health kill nets you about 20% of an Ult charge.

So if he killed 4 or more people with 1 Ult, he'd be able to fire another Ult in less than 20 seconds, most likely.

FYI, you can't earn charge when you kill someone with your Ult or when it's active. This is done by design so people aren't just able to Ult every 30 seconds.

Anyway, as a dreaded Zarya main (in comp, at least), here is what frustrates and kills me most often.

1. Reinhardt. Bane of Zarya's life. His shield eats her splash damage in the most annoying way, and getting in left-click range of it is risky. He can happily hammer through her bubble and kill her with his health pool. And his charge is something she actually has to accommodate for and retreat from the threat of, especially if her self-bubble just fired. Just don't fire strike unless you know she's cooling; it's free charge.
2. Pharah. Shoot at Zarya from far away. She gets to bubble exactly one rocket if you're smart, and then she's yours to juggle for like ten seconds. A Pharah-friendlier meta would suppress Zarya somewhat.
3. Widow/Hanzo. Same deal as Pharah: She can't return fire at range. Best case, she gets the charge of one round, and then she's yours to snipe while on cooldown. You can actually zone her and get her to back down in a way others can't. McCree's not bad either if you can land consistent headshots, but his effective range is lower, and that makes him riskier.
4. Reaper. You're one of the few that has the damage to smash through her self-bubble without a care, and you can just vape out if things get scary.
5. Junkrat. Like Reaper, one of the few that can burst through Zarya's bubbles faster than she can cope and adjust. Just deploy unrelenting force from above (firing up at ledges is not ideal for Zarya). His trap is an actual nuisance, too. Just don't stand facing her, because that is a joke to deal with, and don't just spam in her general area; that's free charge. This is kind of a boom/bust option, honestly: you either blow her the fuck up in seconds or you just made her a much bigger threat. Most Junks do the latter.
6. Tracer/Genji. If you can duck and dodge well, she either has to get her tracking perfect or hope you fuck up and stray close enough that she can splash you. You may struggle to actually finish her off outside of your most effective range, but you can consistently throw her off her rhythm and get her focusing on you rather than helping her team. How much team utility you want to sacrifice just to pester Zarya, though...

The main thing you want to avoid is peppering her with shitty damage unless you think you can kill her right there. Really dumb things to fire at Zarya include fire strike, Symmetra orbs, Junkrat spam, D.Va ult, etc. I will run towards those.

Odrion

Banned
She can cleanse it with her shield atleast. She's actually the strongest tank against discord thanks to that.
So you be a good Zenyatta and put it on her when her shield is down.

Once again I guess it's a matter of skill vs. hard counters. Like I guess Zarya is suppose to be a counter to Roadhog but if you either wait out her shields or flak cannon it off you can hook her and kill her pretty easily.

I actually agree!

But Blizzard appear to be taking the feedback of console and PC players as equally useful for the balancing they do — and then rolling out more or less identical balance "fixes" with very little divergence besides timing.

And responding to console-specific problems could really mess with the experience of PC players. You could argue it already has with Genji's movement nerf.

I'm a console player and, honestly, I didn't agree with Genji's double-jump reset getting removed.

It seemed to miss the major problems: Aim Assist and ult power/gain rate.

X-Frame

Is it smart to keep playing if you're on a winning streak until you lose?

I was on one yesterday but got off before I lost to end the day on a high note but now I'm reading the longer the winning streak, the more points you get after each subsequent winning (starting at around 5 games).

Azoor

She has the lowest health of the tanks and no defensive mechanics outside of her bubble which is on a eight second cooldown when it dissipates. Click her face when her shield vanishes. It's not hard.

Her range doesn't matter, as long as her beam can hit you it'll hurt you just as much whether it's point blank or not.

Especially when she throws those explosive charges.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
looks like new Red Dead will finally be announced tomorrow.

To celebrate this i'll play only McCree tonight.

mccree-gif-0f620.gif

Once again I guess it's a matter of skill vs. hard counters. Like I guess Zarya is suppose to be a counter to Roadhog but if you can either wait out her shields or flak cannon it off you can hook her and kill her. Or just flak cannon her dumb face.
Or put discord on her so she uses her shield at a non ideal time. Zen still shits on Zarya.

I-hate-u

Is anyone having trouble signing in in PS4? I am getting a "PSN" is under maintenance error but I didn't see any information about it online.

Cappa

Banned
50 minimum. reaching 25 is a breeze.
I've played with and against players at much higher levels than me and they have been awful. Awful in the sense of their situational awareness and just overall hero picking.

Making levels higher won't help much. Maybe you need to win a certain amount of games or whatever but higher ranks don't necessarily translate to better play. I can't tell you how many people I've encountered that are twice the level that I am and play the game like it's cod.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
rumor is RDR remaster for PS4/XOne/PC will be announced at PS Meeting tomorrow.

Nah, new Red Dead.

I don't believe that Drunk Cat that the game is far away.

The game must have been in development for a long time now.

LiK

I've played with and against players at much higher levels than me and they have been awful. Awful in the sense of their situational awareness and just overall hero picking.

Making levels higher won't help much. Maybe you need to win a certain amount of games or whatever but higher ranks don't necessarily translate to better play. I can't tell you how many people I've encountered that are twice the level that I am and play the game like it's cod.

yea, win rate should be a factor. good idea.

xaosslug

Sure, it's all fun, but the source of fun is different. Fun in QP is dicking around with whatever you want to try, win or lose, and having a good time.

Fun in Competitive is playing organized, effective, and skillful moves in order to win matches and advance your ranking/improve your skill. Don't be one of the people taking a huge dump on the team in Competitive and going "GUYS WHAT'S WRONG THIS IS ALL FOR FUN DON'T BE SO ANGRY" while you're playing attack Torbjörn on Route 66.

Also, yah, guess the skill ceilings are quite different between console and PC, so what applies to one does not apply to the other necessarily. I still think Zarya can go up against Mei in most, if not all, team encounters.

hmm, that doesn't sound fun at all. It sounds like work, actually. If I'm in a group and someone assumes the role of Drill Sergeant and begins 'advising' everyone on what characters to play and how to play I would tune them out immediately. x__x

yeah, I want to win and I'm def. a team player, but not at the cost of my fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Once again I guess it's a matter of skill vs. hard counters. Like I guess Zarya is suppose to be a counter to Roadhog but if you can either wait out her shields or flak cannon it off you can hook her and kill her pretty easily.

Well, yeah. Zen is always gonna be a tank melter, she just has a solid countermeasure for it that most other tanks lack.

The thing with Zarya against Roadhog is more the presence of her impacting his gameplan moreso than talking about a 1v1 scenario since I'd agree hog can kill her fine there. She's going to scope out people you hook to shield so your shotgun feeds her energy which really affects his usefulness if he has to be afraid to pull the trigger after a hook. Though, naturally, she also synergizes well with him poking out to hook someone.

Cappa

Banned
hmm, that doesn't sound fun at all. It sounds like work, actually. If I'm in a group and someone assumes the role of Drill Sergeant and begins 'advising' everyone on what characters to play and how to play I would tune them out immediately. x__x

yeah, I want to win and I'm def. a team player, but not at the cost of my fun. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Im the opposite, i wish more people would use the mic and i wish more people would take the drill sergeant role. Its an online multi-player game after all.

I mean i know what you're saying(lot of people take this game wayyyyy to serious nerf this delete that etc) but this game is made for what you're saying. I haven't been playing for long but i dont mind voicing my opinion if I think someone should pick a better hero for the situation. Sometimes people listen, others they just completely ignore

finalflame

yeah, I want to win and I'm def. a team player, but not at the cost of my fun. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's being a Drill Sergeant and going "Hey guys, it doesn't seem that what we're doing is working, we're not really able to break through their lines/we're getting constantly wiped/we're not being very effective in general. Do we want to switch things up a bit and try something else?". I do the latter, and if I get no response, I just quietly resign myself to the fact that nobody on my team is willing to play as a TEAM and write everyone off as a moron and we're probably going to lose. About 50% of the time though people are polite, mature, and receptive and we are able to make adjustments that, even if they don't win us the game, at least allow us to have a closer match then we had been having so far.

Stubbornness/rudeness/taking a dump on your teammates is toxic and makes you less likely to win. Trying to politely coordinate and having a positive, proactive, and flexible attitude makes you far, far more likely to win.

If you're the type of player that's entirely unreceptive to feedback then there's no point playing a TEAM based game. When anyone on the TEAM brings the TEAM down the entire TEAM suffers at the expense of the person who doesn't want to be "bossed" around and wants to play their waifu/main/whatever just because it's "fun". Fun doesn't mean it's going to work when the enemy team is hard countering your comp and you're getting obliterated. By doing that and being unresponsive/unwilling to be a team player in competitive you're just ruining other people's games, too.

If you don't care about rank, just want to have "fun", and want to pay no attention to team composition/strategy/playing skillfully, I reiterate, your game mode of choice should be QP not Competitive.

I'm not saying it is or isn't the case for you specifically, I just mean in general.

Hey Jon and all, I can't join. PSN isn't working right and I can't see your messages or invites on the screen, but I can see them on my tablet. My FL ain't showing either in the game :/

Doesn't seem to be a way to join anyone right now, nothing will show up, but I can still play solo queue. Weird.

No_Style

i love it when psn is down.

$60 anyone?

Had no idea the PS+ fee guaranteed 100% uptime.

I don't like paying for MP access either but to insinuate paying for PS+ somehow entitles people to 100% uptime is insane. No residential Internet or any utility service guarantees that.

Had no idea the PS+ fee guaranteed 100% uptime.

I don't like paying for MP access either but to insinuate paying for PS+ somehow entitles people to 100% uptime is insane. No residential Internet or any utility service guarantees that.
it doesn't, but when you have two outages in the 2 weeks preceding a PS+ price hike...

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom