• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Ok? I'm talking about learning Zarya. You've already mastered her. It's hard. If you don't learn shield placement, you don't play Zarya, and learning good shield placement is hard.

And I'm talking about how she currently plays on console, it's not fun to play against. I don't give a flick about some newbie learning her. She was a freaking monster as is, the patch just completely put her over the top, and it's garbage, IMO.

People act like you're talking about their kids or something when you start saying a character needs a slight tuning, lol.

finalflame

I'm not getting why Zarya is tough to deal with on consoles?

Supposedly the way they fixed the aim assist allows her beam to lock on too accurately, making her harder to counter because at high energy her beam wrecks.

PC doesn't have aim assist and aiming with her relies on good tracking skills from the player.

And I'm talking about how she currently plays on console, it's not fun to play against. I don't give a flick about some newbie learning her. She was a freaking monster as is, the patch just completely put her over the top, and it's garbage, IMO.
So then why did you join the conversation? The entire time I've been talking about learning Zarya, I never talked about top tier Zaryas who wreck face no matter how powerful she is.

I'm not getting why Zarya is tough to deal with on consoles?

I'm not quite sure myself, I think it's more than likely a placebo effect, her range and beam ***SEEM*** like they are larger, but in reality aim assist was fixed so now she's easier to consistently aim with and when she's at least 40-50 percent, she's incredibly tough to kill if she doesn't just mow you down in 2 seconds.

EDIT: I should point out that Mei is stupid easy to use now as well, either that or my aim improved. The hitbox fixes along with improved aim assist are making certain characters more viable than before.

R0ckman

I actually havent seen aggressive zaryas, I've played as them and actually got dumped into a trash team koth qp match where I just destroyed the whole enemy team and turned everyhing around. People flipped as I rushed towards them giving no damns and melting the hell out of them as high energy zarya.

The only reason Zarya is as powerful as she is, is because a lot of people don't know the best ways to deal with her. You guys are just asking for her to be over nerfed. It's gonna happen, I'll bet on it.

Gorillaz

Im usually pretty good at Zarya and knowing the right times to save/bubble someone in game.

Don't see it alot either. I don't think alot of people really think about bubbling teammates as much as protecting themselves. Like I said awhile back, she's basically the QB of the team.

Not everyone can be QBs

edit: she most likely will get nerfed because people don't know how to counter
Edit2: that came off more snarky then it reads lol

Nimby

Banned
I'm not quite sure myself, I think it's more than likely a placebo effect, her range and beam ***SEEM*** like they are larger, but in reality aim assist was fixed so now she's easier to consistently aim with and when she's at least 40-50 percent, she's incredibly tough to kill if she doesn't just mow you down in 2 seconds.

EDIT: I should point out that Mei is stupid easy to use now as well, either that or my aim improved. The hitbox fixes along with improved aim assist are making certain characters more viable than before.

Just seems like they need to tune the assist a bit more, I rarely play hitscan but does anyone notice a big difference with them? I mostly play Zarya in competitive and I honestly can't tell.

edit: she most likely will get nerfed because people don't know how to counter
I hope Blizz would have a better reason than this. People didn't know how to counter Bastion in the first weeks of the game and Blizz didn't give two shits. They just tweeted to all those people how to counter him.

I really wish they would do the same with Zarya and Tracer, because otherwise, these characters are going to be burnt to the ground.

As someone who plays a lot of D.Va, Zarya is basically my worst enemy. It can be so frustrating to go against a skilled Zarya. Sometimes there really isn't anything you can do.

Gorillaz

I hope Blizz would have a better reason than this. People didn't know how to counter Bastion in the first weeks of the game and Blizz didn't give two shits. They just tweeted to all those people how to counter him.

I really wish they would do the same with Zarya and Tracer, because otherwise, these characters are going to be burnt to the ground.

If auto aim is a problem I don't mind looking into that because Blizz in general have no idea what they were doing with the console side in terms of aiming mechanics. Just as long as it doesn't jack her up completely. But reducing the shields/bubbles? nah

As someone who plays a lot of D.Va, Zarya is basically my worst enemy. It can be so frustrating to go against a skilled Zarya. Sometimes there really isn't anything you can do.
D.VA up close with her is rough. Been there. If you wanna stick with D.va honestly have to knock her out at a distance. You can fly pretty much anywhere on the map. Get the ground advantage

R0ckman

Yah, I hear ya. Thing is, if your level of skill is really diamond, you'll climb. Just keep doing the solo queue roulette, and message people you have good games with to see if they want to group up. That's what I did last season, and went from 34 to 59 (equivalent of 1700 to 2950). Did it mostly tri-quad queueing with some 6-stacks in the mix and a bit of solo play.

I can vouch for this. Went from 1700 to 2007 in like 3 hours, I then stop when I dip my feet in for two matches and get completely moronic teams then wait for some buddys to group up with and climb with less risk.

To be honest a full time dad wont really have time to deal with this trash ranking system. So I'd reccomend not taking it too seriously and just grab some regular buds to play with and have fun.

Just seems like they need to tune the assist a bit more, I rarely play hitscan but does anyone notice a big difference with them? I mostly play Zarya in competitive and I honestly can't tell.

It's all anecdotal at this point, when the patch hit i saw some GAF'ers say that their McCree acc went up a substantial amount (anything above 5% more is substantial to me).

I'm going to make some assumptions, so apologies if I'm wrong but are you platinum or below? If that's the case, TJ-Ramirez is playing a completely different game than us, he's in the big leagues on PS4 so he's playing against the top 1% of PS4 overwatch who know to use all the mechanics considerably well and have their meta game on point. If you got to play in the 65+ SR from Season 1, you should already know how brutal some of those pre-made teams are. Slap on the fix aim-assist, and yeah I can see where he's coming from (note I haven't even made it to diamond this season, and my stint in 65 was very short lived).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Tracer had very clear counters and limitations honestly. That's why she's still not the premier dps except on koth.

Zarya is just strong all round.

Jarate

Banned
How to play Zarya, A guide by Jarate

You can use her in two different ways, as an off tank and a primary tank. She has a lot versatility which makes her a great pick when you're running a Reinhardt, Roadhog, and D. Va. Winston can be a help but he should run off tank IMO in that situation

So, as the primary tank, your goal is too bubble yourself. The most important part of Zarya is building her power. So, if you see the other team spam, run into it, and build up power. You see a Reinhard chucking a fire blast at you? Boom that's 30-50 build right there. A single bubble will only grant you 50 build at the most, so stay aware. The reason for that is it's fairly easy to keep your build at a steady place, so once you get that charge, you are good to go until the enemy team wipes

Speaking of teamwipes, the other major thing about bubbling is the damage which allows you to use your ult. One of the big things to be aware of is your teams ult status. I usually spam the "ult" emote to tell people when ult is up, and try not to use it unless our teammates has his. Ults that work really well with Zaryas are Hanzos, Genjis, Repeats, Roadhog, Meis, Bastions and many others. Don't try to time riptires with randoms, the rupture has to go off first due to the animation and distance etc... Also, be aware that your grenades do better DPS then your beam, use that when you ult. I'll get into when to ult later.

Anyways, the bubble is about baiting people out and knowing when too go in. With 100 energy, you output some insane DPS, and when your bubble loads up again, don't be afraid to walk in and try to pick off the Zenyatta, Lucio, Genjis, etc who might be near you. This can lead to some easy 5v6 pushes for your team. When your bubble isn't loaded, do not go in, when your bubbles is loaded, or about to load in, go in

I say this because at higher level, people are aware of the bubble bait, so sometimes you have to pretend you don't have a bubble and roll right in. They'll give you enough of an opening for you to walk forward, and survive long enough for your bubble to load.

Lastly, sometimes, you'll inevitably make a mistake and walk too far forward. It happens to the best of us. Luckily, you still have that extra bubble saved up. Run straight towards your healer. Bubble them, get behind them and use them as a shield for a few seconds so they can heal you and you can load your bubble.

Primary tanking you should be in the front lines baiting out Reinhardt fire slash, Hanzos bow attacks, zenyattas balls, junkrat spam, and Pharah spam. Just stand in front of your healers and eat the fire getting attacked, also don't be afraid of walking straight at Torbjorns and Symmetras turrets, just bubble and eat that free energy baby.

Off tank, you goal is to stand midfield and be a support bubbler to build up your power. When your power gets high, you can then either flank, or assume the role of primary tank and walk forward more. Your shooting is going to change from your Lazer, to your grenade launcher.

You should always look for these classes. These are easy pickings

All healers
Junkrat
Zenyatta
Ana
McCree
Reinhardt
Hanzo
Torbjorn
Kind of Symmetra

You are going to win most of these battles if you can aim and bubble
Reinhardt
Genji
Soldier 76
Winston

More 50/50
Mei
Widowmaker
Reaper

Avoid at all costs
Tracer (your greatest for)
Good Widowmaker
Roadhogs (he can sippy cup through your beam and pulse bombs, and wreck you when you need to reload) (great way to build up power though, a single shot from him or a hook by him gives you a lot of energy)
Pharah
BASTION

The best way to beat a Zarya is a bastion and a Tracer. Tracers can easily bait out bubble and also zip around which is annoying as fuck. Bastion damage theoretically would be awesome but just tears through bubble, Roadhog can just heal through your DPS, unless you are super powered, and Pharahs you cant hit them unless they get close to you.

Zarya is used a lot because she's just kind of helpful to have around. A master Zarya will learn the most clutch of bubbles, which is really what separates the good zaryas and the great ones, because, as you learn to play, youll learn how to bait enemies using your teammates. She also can do some impressive DPS, at the end of the day, her main issue is that she has no reliable long range option (grenades are easy to dodge) and your beam is limited to however long it goes. Also. She lacks a movement option which hurts her tremendously if seperated. Its just that her ability is a very useful thing for a team. She's basically the only person in Overwatch who can consistently provide a defense buff.

I think I'm running out of letters allowed so I'll make another post for other stuff

xaosslug

we back, PSN peeps
nwC8itC.gif

Nimby

Banned
It's all anecdotal at this point, when the patch hit i saw some GAF'ers say that their McCree acc went up a substantial amount (anything above 5% more is substantial to me).

I'm going to make some assumptions, so apologies if I'm wrong but are you platinum or below? If that's the case, TJ-Ramirez is playing a completely different game than us, he's in the big leagues on PS4 so he's playing against the top 1% of PS4 overwatch who know to use all the mechanics considerably well and have their meta game on point. If you got to play in the 65+ SR from Season 1, you should already know how brutal some of those pre-made teams are. Slap on the fix aim-assist, and yeah I can see where he's coming from (note I haven't even made it to diamond this season, and my stint in 65 was very short lived).

My high last season was 58, could have gotten higher but the season ended. I think it's more that Zarya is just hard to deal with all around, regardless of what system you play on. A good Zarya beats pretty much everyone except a good Reaper, and that's not guaranteed for Reaper. I mean, PC players have to have it worse than console. A Zarya with decent tracking never misses their beam.

That meta looks much more balanced than before.

Although that's not good when the only F tier heroes are defense heroes(Symm might as well be considered part defensive hero).

Jarate

Banned
Dont be afraid to use Zarays ult. You can build it up fairly fast, so if you're about to die and you deem it worthy, use the alt, and hope and pray to the gods that your teammates had listened to your "group up with me" and "my ultimate is ready" As a frontlines character, you're going to have a hard time knowing where your teammates are, so just hope and prey to jesus that they are there. There is nothing worse then seeing your entire team run away from an ult where you got 4-5 members of the enemy team

Speaking of ults, DO NOT RANDOMLY SPAM YOUR ULTS WHEN D. VAS ARE NEAR BY, THEIR DEFENSE MATRIX WILL EAT IT UP AND THERE IS LITERALLY NO WORSE FEELING THEN THIS. Luckily, you are a god king against D. Vas, unless they run away, you wein that matchup every single times. USE THE UL:T WHEN THEY EITHER RUN AWAY, OR THEY ARE OUT OF THEIR MECH, I DONT CARE HOW LONG THIS TAKES.

Do not be afraid to use it on a reinhardt that's blocking your path. Most likely, the other team will be grouped up behind him, and that's an easy 4-5 people you can captrue. All you have to do ir just run behind the reinhardt and see if he follows you or your teammates. He follows you, the rest of your team will hopefully be competent enough to kill him and teammates, he doesnt, well, spam some grenades into those healers soft spots.

BASTIONS ARE SATAN FOR YOU, SAME WITH TRACERS. HOPE AND PRAY TO JESUS THAT YOUR TEAM CAN TAKE OUT THE BASTION. HIS TURRET MODE CAN AND WILL ANNIHILATE YOU. YOUR BUBBLE WILL NOT SURVIVE NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOUR BRAIN TELL YOU IT WILL.

I just want to make this perfectly clear, your best friend is also jumping and shooting. Jumping wont save you from damage, but it will make it easier for you not to get headshot. That can be a life saver, as your 400 health is the lowest tank health in the game. Sometimes you can survive situations you had no business survivng just by hopping around and bubbling you and your teammates.

The best combo in the game for Zarya is Zenyatta, Zarya and Zenyatta are OTPs. (You heard it here first kiddos, we got the newest and boldest ship yet) Zenyattas healing orbs and Discord orbs are amazing for you, he has no escape option so he's easy to use to bait enemies, and he can add some good DPS to take out the worse classes for Zarya. Mercy doesnt get a good enough movement option with Zarya to really make use of her talents, Lucio speedboost is nice, but doesnt heal enough to allow Zarayss to walk in and out reliably, and Ana's boost should be given to another class.

Ultimately, your goal in life is to become the Alaskan Bullworm

InNfDhU.png

Jarate

Banned
My high last season was 58, could have gotten higher but the season ended. I think it's more that Zarya is just hard to deal with all around, regardless of what system you play on. A good Zarya beats pretty much everyone except a good Reaper, and that's not guaranteed for Reaper. I mean, PC players have to have it worse than console. A Zarya with decent tracking never misses their beam.

Tracer, Bastion, Pharah, and Widowmaker can all easily beat a Zarya.

xaosslug

maybe, instead of nerfing Zarya Blizz will reveal that Sombra's her counter...
nwC8itC.gif

Because Meis ult was weak and pretty much worthless before? Now it's actually good.

And no, Zarya is no where near easy, just like Genji is not easy, like you seem to be saying.

@ this whole thing... wat? Yeah Mei was 'worthless' to 'professional level pick rates' but that's about it (same w/ Hanzo's 'fix' - it was so he would be used more at pro level). Nobody was whining about Mei buffs ANYWHERE, in fact peeps wanted her nerfed/deleted. TBH, there was more discussion about what Mei has going on underneath her layers of clothes! xD

as for Zarya's difficulty - I used to play Genji and I'm starting to play Zarya more because she's a headache for my D.Va play, and her dificulty for moi is team management (which I'm bleh at) and having some comminication (no mic) and knowing timing when to engage and back off, which again is dificult w/o a mic (for me personally). If she's super-hard for you (she is for me as well, but I'm learning and have won a few QP matches w/ her! :D) to get your head around well my apologies.

Nimby

Banned

Not really, I guess if you were playing with randoms. Pharah will just get picked off by your hitscan DPS, and she generates a lot of charge for Zarya. Not to mention she can't stay up in the air all the time, and Zarya's beam can reach her in the air sometimes. Same with Bastion and Widow, they still get countered too easily to really do anything. Dive comp is still really good, and Winston eats Widow for breakfast and Bastion will most likely be dead because he's Bastion. Bastion is just a tank buster all around, but if you are far away from him, his turret damage is too spread out. Tracer yeah, but Reaper is still the premier Zarya counter. Roadhog works too sometimes, but she can fuck Roadhog over in similar ways.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
@ this whole thing... wat? Yeah Mei was 'worthless' to 'professional level pick rates' but that's about it (same w/ Hanzo's 'fix' - it was so he would be used more at pro level). Nobody was whining about Mei buffs ANYWHERE, in fact peeps wanted her nerfed/deleted. TBH, there was more discussion about what Mei has going on underneath her layers of clothes! xD

That's what blizzard mostly balance towards. So, whine more xaos.

People wanted her nerfed/deleted because she was annoying to play against, not because she was powerful. Most of those cries were just pure salt.

I could name a few people here that wanted her buffed and really, she needed it.

Also, imo, saying Genji and Zarya are easy to master is like saying Bastion is the hardest character to master in the game.

matmanx1

I just did my first 4 placement matches for Season 2 on PC. Out of the 4 games, 2 had leavers, one for them and one for us. 2 and 2 so far and none of the games have been close. It's been a steamroll win or a steamroll loss on all four.

I'm having fun but I sure wish there was something else that could be done for the leaver problem. That's really my only gripe at this point.

I feel sometimes like I'm the only person who actively uses recon mode on Bastion. I've found his gun-arm can be incredibly powerful and his no-cooldown heal can make him extremely difficult to take down. I think a lot of people solely rely on sentry mode and surprise kills and it becomes monotonous and easy to predict/kill, while people I've run into lately don't know how to deal with a recon bastion that pops out of corners for a short burst, hopefully getting more than a few headshots.

HIS TURRET MODE CAN AND WILL ANNIHILATE YOU. YOUR BUBBLE WILL NOT SURVIVE NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOUR BRAIN TELL YOU IT WILL.
You can absolutely peek Bastion for free charge, just be careful. Also, it's pretty easy to shell a stationary target if he's the least bit distracted.

matmanx1

Re: Zarya - She is currently one of my mains and even with double digit hours on her I feel I have a long way to go in getting proficient at playing her. Some games I do really well and have very few deaths and big time eliminations with big numbers in damage blocked and some games I'm barely at a 1 E:D ratio and I feel like my team is falling apart.

Not only do you need good timing with her in regards to her bubbles but you also need good decision making ability and good communication. When you nail those aspects she's really strong and when you don't or when you have a team that has no idea how to capitalize on her strengths she's probably less useful an average Rein or D.Va.

As far as counters, anyone with range and patience can counter Zarya. Half the time when I die as her on the PC its from a Pharah or Soldier 76 or Mei shooting at me from well outside her 25 yard beam range. Her bubble only lasts two (2) seconds so if you see her use her bubble and then it drops, go ham from a distance and there's not much Zarya can do since she has no mobility.

Having played her for awhile now the best use for Zarya is as a secondary tank that can play midfield behind a main tank and in front of the supports. In that role she is a beast because there's almost always someone to bubble and you can usually bait an enemy flanker into shooting her bubble if you look like you are straying outside the team "pocket". When that happens, full power for days and your team has instantly gotten both offensively and defensively stronger.

Vire

The new meta.

1kp1Az52ZU1.png
Actually a pretty huge improvement... Now to work on the defense heroes.

I kinda understand though why they have Bastion, Torb and Widow where they are now though. It's simply not fun to be killed by these characters as they are either instant kills or cheap turret kills that feel like bullshit rather than a good one on one fight.

I could see Tracer and Widow maybe, but she's good against Bastion and Pharah. But Tracer struggles when a team has a good McCree or certain setups and Widow's kinda not good in the meta so you won't see her a lot.

Whenever I see a Bastion, I just bubble and soak damage free and melt them. Pharah's pretty susceptible to the primary fire too.

Zarya's really, really good. I could see them nerfing her next. Hopefully it's nothing crazy if they do.

what were you doing in the match to help, tho? Were you trying to take out the Zarya so the D,Va could survive, or did you just resign yourself to the loss? This whole tank v. tank while the 'squishies' hide in the bg type of play/mentality is the worst. Peeps shit on D.Va when they lose a match, but when she wipes 2-3 enemies w/ a nerf where is her props or support? T__T

The only saving grace of QP right now is that sometimes I get another D.Va on my team. Then we can hunt together, watch each others backs, alternate shields, it's a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom