• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odrion

Banned
But Tracer, Reinhardt, Genji, D.Va, Mercy, and more can all get out of it. Rein and D.Va can shield people caught in it, as can other Zaryas. And there are two other ults in the game that effectively nullify its effect.

It's the easiest tool to position the entire other team with. Now all you need is a Mei and proper timing and you can bypass Lucio's and Zenyatta's ult. Nothing is as all encompassing of a buttfuck as a Zarya ult and a touch of teamwork.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
DM eating her beam would turn D. Va into a hard counter when Zarya is supposed to be a Counter to D. Va

Well yeah.

That's my point.

Flip it on its head.

Also trust me, if mei is more prominent in the meta Dva will still have to deal with counters.

DM eating her beam would turn D. Va into a hard counter when Zarya is supposed to be a Counter to D. Va
Plus, it hurts consistency when she can't eat other beam like weapons like Meis freeze, Symm's weapon, and Winstons weapon.

Maybe Sombra will be a Zarya counter(whenever they decide to actually release her)?

MrPanic

On Sep 6, I decided to solo queue.

uVZzoSY.png

Never again will I make that mistake. :|

It's the easiest tool to position the entire other team with. Now all you need is a Mei and proper timing and you can bypass Lucio's and Zenyatta's ult. Nothing is as all encompassing of a buttfuck as a Zarya ult and a touch of teamwork.
Is there something I missed about Mei countering a Lucio and Zen ult?

Jarate

Banned
On Sep 6, I decided to solo queue.

uVZzoSY.png

Never again will I make that mistake. :|

Solo queue forces you to rev up those emotes. Spamming the "I need a healer" emote to hopefully get someone to switch to another healer.
it hardly ever works

Group up emote is your best friend

Antiwhippy

Man, I wish blizzard wouldn't absolutely nut quick play stats. :<

I know it's not a great mode to measure anything by, but it just makes the mode feels limp.

Still, had a lot of fun yesterday.

tNvUUKv.png

Stagger both ults. So they might escape graviton wipe thanks to their support ult, they'll still get frozen and picked off.

Odrion

Banned

Zarya and Mei's ults can be timed to stick enemies to a spot for nine continuous seconds, longer in the practical sense because no one is going to escape Mei's ult if they're stuck in the center of it. Lucio and Zenyatta's ults are six seconds long.

Which is fine, because teamwork is cool and it wouldn't be a huge issue for your team if they didn't clump together when Zarya's ult is up, but it's feels like you don't have a real tenable grasp on where that ult's reach is.

oh also Zarya's shield lasts for TWO SECONDS. CAN YOU WAIT TWO SECONDS? THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO DO.

Zarya and mei's ults can be timed to stick enemies to a spot for nine continuous seconds, longer in the practical sense because no one is going to escape Mei's ult if they're stuck in the center of it. Lucio and Zenyatta's ults are six seconds long.
Have Lucio counter the Zarya ult.

Have Zen counter the Mei ult.

Boom

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hanzo's arrows should pierce Zarya's barrier and Reinhardt's

fuck shields
Zarya and Mei's ults can be timed to stick enemies to a spot for nine continuous seconds, longer in the practical sense because no one is going to escape Mei's ult if they're stuck in the center of it. Lucio and Zenyatta's ults are six seconds long.

oh also Zarya's shield lasts for TWO SECONDS. CAN YOU WAIT TWO SECONDS? THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO DO.

always love this counter-point. 'don't shoot zarya it's only tw oseconds and nothing is going on in those two seconds! she isn't melting your face off! her team isn't healing everyone! she isn't protecting the mercy with her barrier as well! l2p!'

Zekes!

been playing competitive solo. Lost about 300 points from my placement point. I think I'm about to revert to Gold soon

I'll keep fighting the good fight

Antiwhippy

There should be a stat for "How much of a pain in the ass you were to the other team by stalling with ice block and splitting them off with ice wall"

Nothing sets my heart on fire more than watching the other team get so pissed off that they specifically target me all altogether.

Zekes!

You realize this is not normal right?

Not normal in what way? It feels like I get on a team and win a match and then proceed to be part of teams that lose two. Shit is frustrating. If I get a team with a few people on mics then it's usually good. Most of the time I'm the only one so I just mute it and try to use emotes.

There is no reverting in Season 2 competitive. Unless your rank is higher then diamond.

Oh okay, thank god

Odrion

Banned
always love this counter-point. 'don't shoot zarya it's only tw oseconds and nothing is going on in those two seconds! she isn't melting your face off! her team isn't healing everyone! she isn't protecting the mercy with her barrier as well! l2p!'
she has one defensive ability that lasts for two seconds and is on a TEN SECOND cooldown, and has the least health of any tank by 100 hp. don't feed her shields and punish her for being aggressive.

Antiwhippy

Pro players pretty much just burn through her shields because they care more about killing her/the person she's protecting than giving her the charge.

You always see zarya at near 100 energy constantly in tournaments.

Odrion

Banned
also i love how every hypothetical paints the Target Who Should Be Nerfed as someone who is immortal and unstoppable because of MLG teammates counter their every weakness while the victim of this god hero is apparently playing solo
Pro players pretty much just burn through her shields because they care more about killing her/the person she's protecting than giving her the charge.

You always see zarya at near 100 energy constantly in tournaments.
Yeah, if you got the offense that you can quickly assassinate a target then go do that. I'm trying to think in 2500 terms here tho.

xaosslug

I think she just needs one more counterplay, not changing something directly related to her abilities.

DM eating beam would do just that.

they already nerfed her DM because peeps whined she was 'too unstoppable' etc. Not gonna happen. Blizz stays shitting on D.Va, tbh

Rocketz

Somehow the light shined upon me earlier and I actually got paired up with decent teams in my comp session earlier.

Went 4-1 and I'm almost out of gold.

Antiwhippy

also i love how every hypothetical paints the Target Who Should Be Nerfed as someone who is immortal and unstoppable because of MLG teammates counter their every weakness while the victim of this god hero is apparently playing solo

oh, pro players, this is relevant to everybody's play experiences here.

Some lessons do bear learning though.

Because the quickest way to get zarya back to zero charge is to make her dead.

xaosslug

oh, pro players, this is relevant to everybody's play experiences here.

but teh meta, fam!!!!!!

Fuck this fucking piece of shit game again.

First, we magically hold after getting stomped because one of our mates goes Bastion, so I decide to go full retard and shield him with Reinhardt. Suddenly they can no longer make any progress.

Then, they hold us even further up when one of them goes Bastion and nobody on our team can kill it. Oh wait - actually, I killed the entire team, then their Mercy rezzed, I got blown up, and their Bastion just mowed everybody on my team down.

Fuck this shit. Gold tier fucking sucks.

R0ckman

Not normal in what way? It feels like I get on a team and win a match and then proceed to be part of teams that lose two. Shit is frustrating. If I get a team with a few people on mics then it's usually good. Most of the time I'm the only one so I just mute it and try to use emotes.

Oh okay, thank god

Mostly jesting but really in a decently programed MM system you should lose 300 points that fast.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Solo queue forces you to rev up those emotes. Spamming the "I need a healer" emote to hopefully get someone to switch to another healer.
it hardly ever works

Group up emote is your best friend

People who spam commands to other players to switch should just switch themselves. Their H key works too.

Ugh, that feeling when you're getting close to level 199, and are worried about getting any more XP before the next big event and more special crates. Am I strong enough to stay away from this game for a while? ... probably not.

Jarate

Banned
People who spam commands to other players to switch should just switch themselves. Their H key works too.

If I'm rolling gold damage and gold elims as Zarya, then I should not be switching to a healer as that would actively crap on my team even worse since I'm the only one being effective at DPS and killing things

And yes, this happens quite a lot when solo queuing where I'm either gold or silver in damage/elims as a tank.

If were running 3/4 DPS there is no reason for me to be getting gold or silver damage/elims as Zarya. If you are a DPS and not medaling in your affiliated stats you'd be much better off playing a healing class.

If I'm rolling gold damage and gold elims as Zarya, then I should not be switching to a healer as that would actively crap on my team even worse since I'm the only one being effective at DPS and killing things

And yes, this happens quite a lot when solo queuing where I'm either gold or silver in damage/elims as a tank.

Yeah, I've lost count of the number of times in solo queue we've been down a tank and a healer, and it's like, "Guys, I don't mind filling a role if I have to, but I can only pick one!" But no, we definitely need a Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Bastion on this Attack team, you guys know best.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

If one is good enough to carry as DPS, one can carry as healer. I've seen it many times. : )

(To be clear, I wasn't necessarily talking about you when making my earlier point.)

Yeah, I've lost count of the number of times in solo queue we've been down a tank and a healer, and it's like, "Guys, I don't mind filling a role if I have to, but I can only pick one!" But no, we definitely need a Hanzo, Widowmaker, and Bastion on this Attack team, you guys know best.

No one picks Bastion on attack unless they've given up or plan to lose.

Jarate

Banned
If one is good enough to carry as DPS, one can carry as healer. I've seen it many times. : )

(To be clear, I wasn't necessarily talking about you when making my earlier point.)

The issue is there's really only 2 healers who can carry solo. Mercy is a class I'm just plain bad at, and Zenyatta is always the first pick that teams will take (and not heal at all BTW!) Maybe its bad luck, but Lucio just does not have the toolset to carry well, and Ana really needs teamwork and more time in the meta before I'm comfortable bringing her out. (I'm not really the best Ana)

No one picks Bastion on attack unless they've given up or plan to lose.

To be fair, I have seen it work, but the number of times it has I can count on one hand. Mostly when going up against a tank-heavy team and the Bastion pick comes partway through the match when they least expect it. Mildly less insane than the Torbjorn-on-Attack pick, but just mildly.

I have seen attack Bastions work before. Especially if theres a Reinhardt whose shield you need to get down quickly and can cover it.

Honestly seen Bastion work more often on Offense than Defense lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom