• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

exYle

Was this the one where half of the enemy the team disconnected?

No, they were there the whole time. We steamrolled them on attack, got steamrolled on defense, steamrolled on attack again (overtime pushing the payload more than halfway to the first checkpoint) and then stonewalled them on defense.

Pretty sure it was one of our placement matches.

xaosslug

from the back Rein's new skin looks like he's wearing a diaper.

XDWWXQj.gif

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
No, they were there the whole time. We steamrolled them on attack, got steamrolled on defense, steamrolled on attack again (overtime pushing the payload more than halfway to the first checkpoint) and then stonewalled them on defense.

Pretty sure it was one of our placement matches.

Yeah it was. We had less time on attack then capped the point and pushed the cart super far in a constant overtime then denied them getting the point at all.

ConmanIX

Man, the 3000 range is pretty cruel. Went down to 2800 today, then climbed up to 2900. Solo queuing can be a cruel mistress

A few days ago I was part of a GAF competitive train and we had the most clutch match on King's Row - all the way to Round 4 with us on defense for the last round. I couldn't find a way to put footage from this match into my edited videos, but at the same time, I couldn't let this insanity go un-immortalized. So I just uploaded it directly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbLyqBsGDUs

Featuring Fatal_X_Fate as the GOAT Mercy

This was nuts. Had a similar match on Kings Row where in round 3, we pushed the cart near the end all in overtime, then had to defend it for 5 minutes, and we did it. Most hype match in a while :D

5-2 in placement so far, not a bad start to the season! Good games to both Payoff and The Letdown, lot of clutch moments throughout the night. It probably wouldn't have worked but part of me regrets not suggesting we try the 3-3 strat on the last game since randoms weren't on DPS... Still need more time with that to see what exactly makes it work.

antitrop

I should probably stop playing Support until I climb back up to a rank that I feel like I belong at. I've dropped down to 2250 and I'm not even sure if the people I'm getting matched up with even have their mice plugged in, at this point.

5-2 in placement so far, not a bad start to the season! Good games to both Payoff and The Letdown, lot of clutch moments throughout the night. It probably wouldn't have worked but part of me regrets not suggesting we try the 3-3 strat on the last game since randoms weren't on DPS... Still need more time with that to see what exactly makes it work.

OW is largely momentum and/or death based. If you wipe a team they're on the back foot unless they bother to coordinate and regroup. On payload maps that's tough to do.

So, three tanks and three supports with the ability to keep those tanks alive and buffed is pretty good. Especially with Zen and Ana, and Zarya being a hybrid tank and DPS char.

I should probably stop playing Support until I climb back up to a rank that I feel like I belong at. I've dropped down to 2250 and I'm not even sure if the people I'm getting matched up with even have their mice plugged in, at this point.

Yep. Don't support bad teammates, let someone else support you. Or play Zen. Hit 2200 before I started climbing back up with DPS / Tanks, now almost back up to 2300.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
3-3 works because ana, zen, roadhog and zarya are pretty much dps characters themselves, and the idea is to sustain poke to let ana build ult, and then make a breakthrough using nano boost.

antitrop

So, three tanks and three supports with the ability to keep those tanks alive and buffed is pretty good. Especially with Zen and Ana, and Zarya being a hybrid tank and DPS char

Roadhog's damage is underrated, he can put the work in, too. A well-placed right click can 1-shot a 200hp hero.

I understand the theory behind why 3-3 works it's more how it goes in practice that I'm curious about. Like trying it out in the wild where you have no idea how skilled people are with those characters and communication is far from guaranteed. 2-2-2 is still good in those cases most of the time so I'd like to see if the same goes here.

So on Overbuff, I'm very confused about the "recent activity" stats on the right hand side of your Overview page. It lists a record stat, but I'm not really sure what the record means, since it seems to be a one game summary. Is it stating my record on that specific map? Because if it is, there's no map name listed so it's downright odd looking.

Antiwhippy

Zarya's concept is definitely the most confusing one though. She's a body builder, that can shoot energy, and control gravity?

ramyeon

Zarya's concept is definitely the most confusing one though. She's a body builder, that can shoot energy, and control gravity?
Not really.

She became a bodybuilder because she wanted to become stronger to help her people after being scarred by the sight of the post-war destruction left in the wake of the Omnic Crisis. On the eve of the world championships for weight lifting the Omnics attacked Siberia again and she conscripted into the Russian Defence Forces to help fight.

Antiwhippy

No, I get that, it's more like how does body-builder = energy + gravity powers.

The other characters are pretty coherent in comparison when it comes to design and abilities.

I know the Xbox One community here is small - but for those in the Xbox One preview program (and eventually rolling out to everyone) I've created an Xbox Live Club, OverwatchGAF. For now, I have it set to hidden, so if you'd like to be added, please PM me your gamertag and I'll get you an invite as soon as I can!

I feel like Blizz is actively rooting for me to fail, lol. Every time I lose a game, and it doesn't matter how closely fought it is, my next few games are AWFUL. Braindead teammates and constant toxicity. Like an enforced losing streak.

ramyeon

No, I get that, it's more like how does body-builder = energy + gravity powers.

The other characters are pretty coherent in comparison when it comes to design and abilities.
I guess so. Apparently the Russian Defence Forces has awesome gravity guns in the Overwatch Universe.

Danced around a fully charged Zarya with Dva pistol and proceeded to slowly melt her to death. He made it a point to chase me around the rest of the game just to tea bag me lol

matmanx1

I feel your pain. I just finished my placement matches at 3 wins 6 losses and a tie. 3 of the 6 losses someone left from our team and the other 3 losses were basically steamrolls where we just got blown out. Oh well, still placed Gold tier which is roughly where I ended last Season.

Of course, in a steamroll I'm not sure what class you could play that would make much of a difference. Maybe Tracer just for the annoyance factor?

Owzers

Played a few matches of qp with my one irl overwatcher, practiced Mercy for several games, got a bit better at being sneaky.

There was a Rein who charged to his death over and over and over, that one was the the worst game, that and a Bastion who destroyed us in Nepal.

antitrop

Okay, I've decided I'm playing Zarya every single game that I can, to carry myself out of the low ELO. Bad players can't help but shoot the bubbles and I'm just dominating.

Moonkeis

It's not the losses that get me, it's players attitude. If I lose a fun hard fought match, that's what good competition is all about.

ISOM

Okay, I've decided I'm playing Zarya every single game that I can, to carry myself out of the low ELO. Bad players can't help but shoot the bubbles and I'm just dominating.

Zarya is a good tank to carry yourself out of lower ranks. Roadhog too.

KarmaCow

Dumb question but is Winston meant to counter Zen? Because it just seems like he gets utterly destroyed by Zen in most situations.

antitrop

It's not the losses that get me, it's players attitude. If I lose a fun hard fought match, that's what good competition is all about.

Ya, it's the games that don't even get going that piss me off. The completely lopsided games.

I'll say gg when I lose, but only if it was actually a good game.

Antiwhippy

Dumb question but is Winston meant to counter Zen? Because it just seems like he gets utterly destroyed by Zen in most situations.

Only if you really commit to the dive and use your shield smartly. Helps if you have a zarya.

If he gets discord on you though before you can start harassing than goodbye gorilla.

He countered Zen super hard back when he had 150 HP, but now it's slightly more even. I think he's still sort of supposed to be a counter though.

I personally much prefer Tracer to deal with Zen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom