• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT5| 15 Million Strong, None Are On The Payload

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azoor

I get a lot of POTGs now that the algorithm has changed lol.

Although I still think we should have better POTG algorithms to show the player that carried his team to victory.

a dude just got 13 kills with sentry turrets in a game omg

lambs2.jpg

Nero397

It always amazes me how quickly the tide of a game can turn. I played a competitive match and my team got destroyed in the first round, then we ended up destroying them back in the next 3 rounds. I'm not sure if it has to do with team makeup or what, or just one skilled player picking a certain hero to carry their team. My game had four people in my team who were locked into a single character throughout so I dunno.

Watched the first round so far so I'll give a few tips based on what I saw/some general stuff.

It seems you amp it up whenever it's off CD. Use it only when necessary otherwise you may need it but it's on CD. Situations where 3 or more are below 75% or one person is critical bit note in danger.

If they are in danger speed boost them out first before you or Zen can heal them safely. Also use speed boost to boost your team into the enemy before you sound barrier IF you use it aggressively and tell them what you are doing. If used defensively to save somebody or counter ult just use it and heal up.

Speed boost is also useful when your team ults. Blizzard plus speed boost is really good so you can get your team to them quickly as they start to slow down and you can boop people into its radius if needed and you feel evil/your inner mei.

You got good survivability though which is key for Lucio. Pretty good Lucio so hopefully those tips help you to improve further.

I'm quite paranoid about healing so being efficient with amp it up is probably the next area to work on. Speed boosting is probably going to be the hardest one to get into the habit of. Thanks for the tips.

I'll probably start putting up more full rounds, just to get feedback on how to improve. Hard to look for areas to improve when you're the only one looking at your own play.

Shouta

Quick Play shenanigans are the fucking best. My regular casual group just won a Hanamura on Attack using Mei, Reinhardt, Mercy, and 3 Bastions. I didn't think it'd work at all because they other team was a group too but it actually happened and easily at that.

Rocketz

Rough night solo queuing on Xbox One... fell to 23XX. I look like a scrubby plat. I want to hit diamond so bad but have so far to go :/

I was in your same boat on Xbox. Like I said in my earlier post I jump from 2330 to 2700 tonight mostly in solo queue after my disaster the other day. My highest rank yet.

You'll get there.

Zekes!

man, I've never had a game squandered so bad than the one I just played. It was on Ilios, and we won the first round pretty cleanly. Not without a fight, but it wasn't close.

Round two? One of our teammates switches to Symmetra. So now we have a team with 3 supports on it, including Mercy, and I was Lucio. We go on to lose the next 2 rounds and not once does Symmetra think that maybe she's a bad pick in KOTH matches? Like yo, if you've played Overwatch for more than 10 minutes you know not to pick Symmetra on KOTH.

Bitter end to my winning streak in solo queue tonight. Damn.

Jellie

I'm quite paranoid about healing so being efficient with amp it up is probably the next area to work on. Speed boosting is probably going to be the hardest one to get into the habit of. Thanks for the tips.
Speed boost may take some time getting used to. My average in quick play for offensive assists is 0.78. I have 76 hours in quick play on him and rarely used it to begin with so the average remains low even though I've gotten better which shows in comp where my average is around 10. The top 1% is 2.3 so I use speed a lot. It can negatively affect your sound barriers though if you only focus on speed so you need to get a good balance.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
"Defense heroes are good on defense"

And I have to switch off mei on hanamura because people think having a team of hanzo, torb, bastion and sym is a good idea.

Yes, some defense heroes are good on defense, but have a whole team of defense characters means that if it ever gets to the stage of a group fight you're going to lose 9 out of 10 times. And they only have to win once.

Jellie

"Defense heroes are good on defense"

And I have to switch off mei on hanamura because people think having a team of hanzo, torb, bastion and sym is a good idea.

Yes, some defense heroes are good on defense, but have a whole team of defense characters means that if it ever gets to the stage of a group fight you're going to lose 9 out of 10 times. And they only have to win once.
"Not enough defensive heroes"

You've seen nothing :)
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, I was referring to Symmetra's dinky little turrets. I mean no doubt they're annoying but they don't do very much damage and have like 1 health so 13 eliminations from them alone seems like a ton.

Farewell

I'm lvl 11 and the game decides to give me lvl 60+ opponents. Sometimes they mock us with 2-3 bastions placed weirdly across the map.

So my guess is best counter for bastions are fast heroes like tracer or genji?

Must admit i also had lvl 90+ teammates who carried us noobs solo, so no complaining there in the matchmaking haha.

Other than that the game is a ton of fun. I love it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Welp

Don't think I'll ever play comp at night during the weekends. Really just Overwatch's finest. Sometimes it honestly feel like half of the players just want to tank your rating while talking a bunch of shit.

Azoor

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, I was referring to Symmetra's dinky little turrets. I mean no doubt they're annoying but they don't do very much damage and have like 1 health so 13 eliminations from them alone seems like a ton.

I know, it can go even higher than that, I myself got 26 once.

Not at all. Keep in mind that an elimination just means that you've damaged someone (and then someone else may have killed them before they got healed), not that the turrets single-handedly took someone out (although the latter does happen if you put them all close to each other).

slash3584

Is there any way to report people on PS4?

There was this guy the other day using Lucio that was suspiciously inefective so I follow the guy and found out he was just hiding across the map crouching and moving just enough so he wasn't kicked for AFK. Had a few games with and vs the same user and always did the same.

Not at all. Keep in mind that an elimination just means that you've damaged someone (and then someone else may have killed them before they got healed), not that the turrets single-handedly took someone out (although the latter does happen if you put them all close to each other).
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting eliminations aren't solely from dealing the killing blow or doing the majority of damage. My b.

Cob32

Well I'm certainly buying the game after the free weekend. It's incredible.

Played most of the characters. My favourites are zenyatta and junkrat.

darklin0

Banned
I got 35 elims with Lucio in one match earlier tonight, I did not even get a medal. I was so happy I wanted to cry lmao. That was a great team.

JoeNut

Really getting to grips with the game now, learning more maps and heroes. Changing character to suit the team is so important. It makes such an impact if you can tell what your team is missing and being able to help, I switched to roadhog a few times this morning to help tank and distract and it worked wonders

Greddleok

That moment you join a competitive game and everyone selects tanks and healers so you finally can play DPS.

That moment when the enemy team's Mei throws an Ice Wall up in front of you as you get hooked by Roadhog and saves your life...twice.

Ramirez

Rough night solo queuing on Xbox One... fell to 23XX. I look like a scrubby plat. I want to hit diamond so bad but have so far to go :/

Sorry I didn't invite you, the game was lagging so bad for me it was literally moving my aim for me. It was fine on PS4, no clue what was going on.

Tovarisc

Mercy's dmg buff is 30%. Zen's discord orb increases damage taken by 30%. Are those 1:1 in effectiveness? For e.g. Mercy boosted Cree shoots at Rein once and deals X damage would he also deal X damage if not Mercy boosted, but Rein had discord debuff by shooting same spot once? Been wondering if there is special damage resistance debuffs going on with discord orb.

Antiwhippy

It's the same, but you gotta keep in mind that while mccree would be the only one benefiting from the 30% buff, the whole team is benefiting from the 30% debuff.

Tovarisc

It's the same, but you gotta keep in mind that while mccree would be the only one benefiting from the 30% buff, the whole team is benefiting from the 30% debuff.

True. Was just wondering if discord had some extra sauce added in. Kinda nuts to think that Blizzard didn't give Mercy 50% dmg buff because they felt it would break some heroes like Cree, but made Zen's discord orb 50% dmg taken increase to target. I know they nerfed that to 30% so it's in line with Mercy buff.

Jellie

Mercy's dmg buff is 30%. Zen's discord orb increases damage taken by 30%. Are those 1:1 in effectiveness? For e.g. Mercy boosted Cree shoots at Rein once and deals X damage would he also deal X damage if not Mercy boosted, but Rein had discord debuff by shooting same spot once? Been wondering if there is special damage resistance debuffs going on with discord orb.

I think discord is better as your team can focus on the one target and kill them off first giving you the advantage in team fights. Mercy boost only helps one person not a team but you can use it from behind cover while zen must be in LOS.

Antiwhippy

True. Was just wondering if discord had some extra sauce added in. Kinda nuts to think that Blizzard didn't give Mercy 50% dmg buff because they felt it would break some heroes like Cree, but made Zen's discord orb 50% dmg taken increase to target. I know they nerfed that to 30% so it's in line with Mercy buff.

Previously zen worked as a kind of super high risk glass cannon because of his incredibly low health and low mobility. That didn't work out in that he just dies too much. Then they gave him more health because he was just dying too much. That didn't work out in that anyone who has played him even during the PTR phase knew he was crazy busted.

So they just kind of made him a more middle of the road DPS healer hybrid.

Tovarisc

Previously zen worked as a kind of super high risk glass cannon because of his incredibly low health and low mobility. That didn't work out in that he just dies too much. Then they gave him more health because he was just dying too much. That didn't work out in that anyone who has played him even during the PTR phase knew he was crazy busted.

So they just kind of made him a more middle of the road DPS healer hybrid.

Which makes sense because even when he was in bad place because he had best combination of offensive and defensive abilities out of all healers. Healed ok amount, dealt very okay damage which was boosted by his debuff ability. He has always been hybrid in that sense. I think he is in quite good place now when it comes to his set of skills and HP amount.

And yeah, 50% from discorb orb was way too mandatory for line ups. It deserved to get nerf.

The people I play comp with yell at me if I don't choose Mercy. Not sure if they think I am super good with her, or just think I am super bad at everything else. Or maybe it's because nobody wants to play a support other than Zenyatta or the occasional Symetra.

I spent the time between seasons playing Zarya a ton so I could bring that to the table in Comp, hardly gotten to do so since the season started. Not that I mind playing Mercy, I would just like to do something different once every 10 games or so.

I also like to play a little Reaper. I'm not super good with him aside from usually having good timing with his easy-ass ultimate.

Damn I'm enjoying this free weekend. I enjoyed beta too, I just dunno why I never bought it. I rarely have time to play, so quick matches this game offers are godsend. I enjoy Zen, Pharaoh, and that pink haired chick.

Tovarisc

Damn I'm enjoying this free weekend. I enjoyed beta too, I just dunno why I never bought it. I rarely have time to play, so quick matches this game offers are godsend. I enjoy Zen, Pharaoh, and that pink haired chick.

You are okay, we accept you. Just stay away from Mei, she is worst hero in the game. I mean game is 10% off during this event and like you said, easy to put in 1-3 games / night without need to grind game crucial unlocks.

mellow

It feels like people are way more reluctant this season in switching characters to adapt and from what I've seen it's usually because they have a golden weapon with the character they're using. I've lost count of the times I've been paired with people that throw team composition out of the window so they can show off their golden guns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom